Music Academy recordings from past seasons?

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
maheshram

Music Academy recordings from past seasons?

Post by maheshram »

hello all, i know this q has been asked before but I don;t recall the answer. Does MA retain old recordings of all their concerts (post 1960 for example) held during the annual season? Are these available at all to the public.

Related: does anyone know of or have the recording of the SR Janakiraman 1964 MA afternoon concert (3:30-5 pm slot) w/Sikkil Bhaskaran and MS Sekhar accompanying)?

SrinathK

Re: Music Academy recordings from past seasons?

Post by SrinathK »

Yes. You can go to the MA archives room and listen to their entire set of collections which includes all the concerts they recorded over time. You can even listen to last season's concerts. But only audio is available.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

maheshram wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 22:38 hello all, i know this q has been asked before but I don;t recall the answer. Does MA retain old recordings of all their concerts (post 1960 for example) held during the annual season? Are these available at all to the public.

Related: does anyone know of or have the recording of the SR Janakiraman 1964 MA afternoon concert (3:30-5 pm slot) w/Sikkil Bhaskaran and MS Sekhar accompanying)?
If I am not mistaken the entire archival process was assisted by one Mr. Chari of TAG Center who also contributed with his humongous music collections and made it available for the public.

I have also read that there is another library of music recordings somewhere near the Vivekananda College, Mylapore where one can visit and listen to the recordings - all for free... Not sure if this center still exist ?

maheshram

Post by maheshram »

Thanks all. I was hoping for digital access for the MA archives w/o a physical visit there, but that may be in the next century I suppose!

Wonder about that Mylapore archive. Sounds very interesting!

CRama

Post by CRama »

The library near Vivekananda College could be Sampradaya. But long back it is shifted from there and I think it is now based inside Kalakshetra. But I dont know how it functions now. I have never heard anybody visiting the library in the recent past. But they have amazing and very rare collection. I long time back visited when they were in their old premises.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The lady who ran the sampradaya was Geetha Rajagopal. I immensely benefited more at the time when we were all in sangeetham.com . The house that had sampradaya was the last house opposite to Vivekananda house about 10 buildings from MFAC in the one way road to Luz. Then sampradaya moved to Kalkashetra campus when Leela samson did some help . Their digitization was slowly taken up by shanmughananda sabha of Mumbai as most of the sampradaya were casette collection. Certainly Ms Geetha Rajagopal was a nice lady who helped , I cannot forget when i had some orientation for the first time of Musiri , Ramnad krishnan and MLV rare recordings .She cataloged and did a neat job then ,

maheshram

Post by maheshram »

Hi Rajesh what a feeling it must have been for you to hear those recordings for the first time. Sometimes these souls who are so willing to share are godsends. I remember the very first time I heard Ramnad Krishnan was when NV Subramaniam Mama (graciously made me cassettes of that famous concert with LGJ and PMI (that sahana, that shankarabharanam, that panthuvarali!) and my eyes were opened to that great musician for the first time. Those 'aha moments' you never forget!

Ironically I met RK as a small child when he was at Wesleyan briefly but no real memory of him then. I thought his brother Sri Ramnad Raghavan who was our 'hastana vidwan' in Queens/NYC in those days for any needed mridangam concerts was the only star in the family!! Little did I know...

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

rajeshnat wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 17:44 The lady who ran the sampradaya was Geetha Rajagopal. I immensely benefited more at the time when we were all in sangeetham.com . The house that had sampradaya was the last house opposite to Vivekananda house about 10 buildings from MFAC in the one way road to Luz. Then sampradaya moved to Kalkashetra campus when Leela samson did some help . Their digitization was slowly taken up by shanmughananda sabha of Mumbai as most of the sampradaya were casette collection. Certainly Ms Geetha Rajagopal was a nice lady who helped , I cannot forget when i had some orientation for the first time of Musiri , Ramnad krishnan and MLV rare recordings .She cataloged and did a neat job then ,
Our very own Kulkarni was the master mind for the digitization of tapes / archival process for Shanmugananda Sabha.
And Mr. Chari was the master mind for MA digitization / archival process.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Seems like the handheld digital recordings are getting out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_9hMRuIAiA

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

That's called a bootleg.

I wonder if the Academy will start searching us for digital recorders now!

maheshram

Post by maheshram »

I remember attending concerts at Sri RT Chari's residence at Poe's Garden with my grandfather. Now I see many of those on Youtube. This one by Hyderabad Bros for instance (I always enjoyed this one): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgGFVCS ... amSataluri

This concert got me fascinated/hooked on Natakapriya and the LGJ Pahadi thillana at the time was a huge favorite. (the Bros actually learned this not from Voleti Garu but LGJ himself if I recall correctly). Their duet rendition of Lavanya Rama was also very soulful.