SPB the singer, musician, actor and a personality and etc

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
ganesh_mourthy

SPB the singer, musician, actor and a personality and etc

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Mods, Let this be the constructive analysis of SPB - SPB the singer, musician, actor and a personality and etc. There can be some inevitable spill over .

Since he was a tall figure in music than I even imagined let us celebrate his music and the influences his music brought to different folks of different walks. It is more than 2 weeks and you could lock the obituary and anniversary .

Rasikas, pls keep it constructive and substantial.

GM

Ranganayaki

Re: SPB the singer, musician, actor and a personality and etc

Post by Ranganayaki »

I’m discovering now after his death, sadly too late, that this was a much beloved man, quite the treasure simply as a person. He seems to have been quite sweet, and kind, almost saintly!

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Yes he was and he is . When I listen to him and observe him it is a constant conscious pursuit of him to be a good human being as much as a good musician. We have to take effort to be good and goodness in life is a skill that he mastered .

And do you know that he composed music for one of his films that has superb songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykE6UzW7SJc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdanqJY_fzg

Both the songs have such subtle notes interwoven .

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

OOC, has SPB and his peers given any CM concerts? A lot of the older playback singers had stringent training In classical music before they set foot into the cinema music scene..

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

He has not given any as far as I know.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

This one, like many movie songs, gives the illusion that they are sticking to some consistent tune. It is all some mix however. I am not in the game of what rAgA could this be? I am into challenging if Karaharapriya is a rAgA , after which most of it falls down :lol:

@ganesh_mourthy what do you notice in the beat setting? Sort of quiz for you ;)

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Well let me tune myself in to that and taalam detection needs a diff sophistication.

But I keep finding out interesting songs composed by SBP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6L-e_LvcWs

kanniks

Post by kanniks »

Sharing my article on SPB published recently in Swarajya Magazine's blog.

https://swarajyamag.com/blogs/spb-a-gan ... human-form

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Before you post this song with that silly dance of the type in broadway musicals in New York, let me post the one where he sings to his loyal rasikargal.

In fact I don't recall seeing the movie or remember the story line. So much for all this hype about "theater" from the boutique liberals!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6blmoExZH8

Is this what calanATA? Ghana ragas or their seeders, have wide ranging applications :D

Ahem! Same quiz applies!

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

I am not posting some garden variety songs . It is his musical pieces.
As far as raagam I don't try to decipher raaga in film songs . It makes no sense. Very rarely a song fit into a raaga frame. What made you think it is chalanaata. You get a feel or which phrases and what notes?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

kanniks wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 19:02 Sharing my article on SPB published recently in Swarajya Magazine's blog.

https://swarajyamag.com/blogs/spb-a-gan ... human-form
Kanniks,
Very well written . I can subliminally connect to your writing. On oct 01st to roughly 04th i collated and wrote something for SPB. It is in my notepad , I intend to publish here . I have a date in my mind to start that.

Well done kanniks.

RSR

Post by RSR »

May I request learned forum members not to just give links to articles in magazines which ask for subscription I could not read the Swarajya article for that reason.
I am puzzled why prolific writers do not have their own blogs.
( Sri.V.Sriram writes for the Hindu and very often gives the article in his own blog too.- may be in a slightly different version.
-----------------------
Basically, this thread is not a good topic. SPB a loveable person ( I think he had posted a video of Jesudas's visit to Aaranmoola temple , The video is very moving and a fitting rebuff to people who object to Jesudas - a chosen disciple of the great Chembai himself!
------------
Still, SPB was a not a CM concert artiste . This example may open the floodgates to threads on 'popular' personalities, remotely connected with Carnatic music . Perhaps we can have a separate section for famous and popular film playback singers, where this thread would fit nicely.
-https://www.deccanherald.com/entertainm ... 92941.html

RSR

Post by RSR »

at p.10
@ganesh.mourthy
Sir, is that not a sweeping statement? Many ragas are illustrated with film songs by the series iin TheHindu by a lady. And the blog by saidvk on 250 ragas has many examples from film songs.
The songs in 1940-1955 period invariably were based on some Carnatic ragam.
May be , a mixture not strictly conforming to the ragam scale. Plenty of examples from the music scored by G.Ramanathan
Most Hindi film songs of the Golden period 1947-1967 were based on HM classical ragas. I think, there is a website
chandrakantha.com which gives ragams and the songs for each . May not be accurate but a rough guide to laymen.
Songs of yore website runs a series by Subodh Agarwal on film songs of yore based on HM classical ragas.
Last edited by RSR on 11 Oct 2020, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

RSR Sir

I think you get me wrong . If you check a thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34559
you can understand that even fixing a pitch is a task . In the absence of a particular pitch as shadjam and in the absence of the grammar of carnatic , the film music is more open to interpretation . Scale is a more apt term . When you try to link every music to a raaga you stop enjoying it .
There is a Ramesh Vinayagam link where he tries to explain that MSV music did not fall into any raagaa box . There is another TMK video where he mentions that it may not be good to map film songs with raaga. When you ask two persons you have two interpretations of the same song with regards to raagaa. It is same for even the Hindi song. If they are making a song out of raaga definitions , it is not film songs but classical carnatic pieces. Let us enjoy the film songs as they are and this is not to make lessof any music system. We may not thoroughly enjoy music then. If you try to decipher by notes you will be surprised how true what I say is.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

ganesh_mourthy wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 22:42 What made you think it is chalanaata. You get a feel or which phrases and what notes?
taDumArum kanimaram "R3" being touched in "maarum". Upper side pNS is there, but occasionally D3 is also touched with in iLancOlai. This tune was identified with the "prabho ganapatE paripUraNa vazhvarulvaayE" tune in bhajans. So I remember.

But experts are here to identify better!

Hyper sensitive mama/mamidom didn't take inivarum munivarum line easily - construed it as an attack on their belief systems! :lol:

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Oh ok yes, mostly yes. Mama/mamis are OK with it. They just don't wish to admit it . I am hearing the Raman Aandalum ravanan aandalum and until someone hints me .. .I take everything as sindhubhairavi . Almost all notes . Best suits film numbers.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

shankarank wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 22:26
ganesh_mourthy wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 22:42 What made you think it is chalanaata. You get a feel or which phrases and what notes?
taDumArum kanimaram "R3" being touched in "maarum". Upper side pNS is there, but occasionally D3 is also touched with in iLancOlai. This tune was identified with the "prabho ganapatE paripUraNa vazhvarulvaayE" tune in bhajans. So I remember.
Yes I agree! And at 5:54 the flutist seems to go PD-PN-PS..

6:04 or so he goes RGMPDNS

But there’s hardly any obvious dissonance! Probably because of the swara context at 5:54, and the absence of Sa at 6:04. Of course it’s just a guess why. PLease correct me if I’m wrong.

RSR

Post by RSR »

For post-15
@ganesh.mourthy
Sir,
I read through all the posts cited by you in p-15
----------------------------------------------
I do not know the principles of harmony' in Western Music. Yet there is no tune in world music that cannot be played in keyboard or even the harmonium. Neither CM nor HM lays any importance on any fixed frequency , as a must for its music. The only thing that matters is avoiding apaswaram. The singer or instrumentalist can choose the basic frequency ( sruthi) according to his / her convenience . In fact, the same vocalist can render a song from two difference basic frequencies ( of course, not in the same occasion). Thus trying to find the basic frequency of a song in CM and HM is flawed approach and unnecessary attaempt at the outset
I suppose, Western classical music insists on the same standard basic frequency for all instruments. I may be wrong. I am totally against bringing in concepts and concerns of Western music into study and practice of Indian music.
High time , we adopted simple notation as HM does
S R1 R2 G1 G2 M1 M2 P D1 D2 N1 N2 S
-----------
chandrakantha.com has a separate page for hindusthani ragams arranged in alphabetical order for quick access. For each ragam the lady has given the corresponding film song.
They do not mix western music .The lady's biography is given in the site and is really impressive. This lady from Andhra moved to USA only after her marriage and prior to that had about 15 years experience in real classical music avenues like the AIR
google for chandrakantha.com
Please have a look at the pages.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Sir , I understand your point . I do not wish to contradict your statement , But this is something out of playing and familiarins music for a long time .

Assuming that you are for a healthy discussion let me explain .

Now as you said let us take the harmonium notes ( and yes , universally apaswaram is wrong otherwise it is some rambling with no rules)...

........... A song played has the notes C D E G A I can immediately see that it is mohanam provided I place my theory on C as the adhara shadjam and much easier if there is a drone sound in C and the music around moves around in a pattern resembling mohanam with C and G as flat notes . What if C and G is oscillated and the music revolves around E or D ... you will have the confusion of relating to any raaga and it may not even resemble a raaga. That is why most songs did not resemble a raaga but it is a music on its own. The raaga is
1. particular style of handling notes
2. in right doses and
3. right intervels and
4 right combination and permutations and
5. right mood ( sad and soft or brisk and merry handling of notes --- Subhapanthuvarali and Ataanaa)
6. stress of a single note to evoke that raaga ( Ni 1 of suratti 3 times )
7. Even the start of the phrase ( The upper Ni , Sa or rarely Pa for Panthuvarali and similar rules for many raagas)
8. Importance on particular notes Ri for shankarabharanam and straight Ga for Kalyani
and few other things
9 . Have a different slightly different order for manthra scale
10. Some raagas dwell particularly in certain octave avoiding lower notes or higher notes.
11.. all of the above in relation to a definite Aadhara shruthi.

You have to do this all right to evoke the mood and essence of paricular raagaa. I play violin and sometimes when I try to accompany I find it difficult intitially on what the singers have in mind. It is just becuase the grammar is slipping and gets longer to sync.

The western scale need not follow the above rules . Their grammar is different. And the light music need not follow them too. Only notes and clarity matters. Anything musical is fine . Hope I am clear.

Yes I have seen this chandrakantha and I have even talked to them once for some information . It is an abstract connection of notes to raaga.

Personally ( it is my personal opinion only ) ... the G Ramanthan music or very older music quite stayed very much within the grammar of carnatic . The tunes were new but it was just the chip out of the old block . Probably that was the possible shift for them at that time. I did not find anything remarkable as I would very much listen to a carnatic krithi well rendered and elaborated than that 5 minute abridged version. But what I savour is " the yaradee nee mohani " type that was so different from the carnatic flavours and I think it is the same G. Ramanathan.

The later music gave a complete dimension and opened our senses to a new musical stlye soaring and it was very much away from the classical style . The 70s 80' . Why would I want all the film songs to resemble carnatic style while there are a treasure of music in carnatic already .

If we have some system as the gold standard and reference point for all our musical savour I think we can appreciate nothing other than that. Even the HM and CM is so different.

Thank you sir

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Well! Well! - now classical music has so many light tunes and even 4 note or 3 note ragas - that makes you wonder what makes "classical" , "classical"! ;) .

Actually many vivAdi tunes except the extreme ones in the last cakra - are more lilting to listen to than karaharapriya so to say. They sort of represent the light side of carnatic music. Includes many scalar ragas and things like rishabhapriya which completely lacks any intra-tetra-chord consonance except R2-P.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

ganesh_mourthy wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 22:38 I am hearing the Raman Aandalum ravanan aandalum and until someone hints me
That rebel stuff is not movie songs alone. Prof. Ambirajan - economics - used to write center page in The Hindu - otherwise orthodox in his views, an avid listener who could be spotted in MA gallery, in his humanities elective class posed this: "The cart puller who smokes a bIDi pays 15% sales tax which is ever increasing in each budget a large chunk of which is defense spending . What benefit does he get out of it?"

So this, everything through common man's eyes is a bane of India. Wait until all campuses become JNU like!

RSR

Post by RSR »

for p.20
@ganesh_mourthy
--------------------------------
Dear Sir,
Please note that I am pleading for film songs with decent theme and lyrics
based on either CM or HM ragas. with tagged information about the raga. My sole concern is to educate the recent film goers about the ragams in Carnatic music. Despite the cheap smart phones, and very economical data pack offerings in Tamilnadu, common rural people and students do throng the cinema halls. Even post-graduates! So, my intention and plea is to make the film music the primary vehicle to spread awareness about the classical ragams among the lay public especially the youth in rural areas. Once again, I reiterate that 'small is beautiful'. As you seem to be an admirer of pre-war English classics as I am, the language awareness spread among the poorer sections through the Authprized version of the Bible, and short essays in Spectator . and not by very bulky novels like Evan Harrington and Farsyte Saga. Few read them these days even in England. The latest trend is towards twitter like posts. Film songs are the equivalent. The reason might be lack of time and pressure of work for livelihood.
I hope that I am not wrong in thinking that most creations of Purandharadasa and the Trinity can be sung fully ( leaving alone pancharathan kruthis) in under three minutes. ( sans Kalpana sangeetham by the artiste). And most of the lovely kruthis by Thyagaraja Swami are in non-vivadi parent scales.
------------------continued in next post

RSR

Post by RSR »

continued from p.23
----------------------
2) I too like the tune mentiond by you -the song from the classic Utthama puthran starring the inimitable Sivaji Ganesan . especially the lilting mandolin interlude - a classic. However, I think every tune in Indian film music has some raga behind it and perhaps mixture , and it needs a highly tuned rasika like CRama to detect the raga pattern.
Not all the popular songs of pre-1960 deviated much from classical ragams. For example, the film ThookuThookki had some very fine songs and I tink there is a snippet based on Todi!. You may remember ' Sundrai Soundari Niranthariye' . ( What is the raga?)….There are hundreds of very nice tamil film songs based on ragas even in post 1960 decades. better appreciated without the visuals.
'vidwan' is never the final arbiter in anything.Mere platitude to say, that film songs may not be chaste illustrations for ragas. Sometimes, they could be and they are.
( continued in next post )

RSR

Post by RSR »

continued from p24
----------------------
3) Why should one use the Western symbols for the 12 swarasthanams? why should we approach the topic of sruthi from the angle of an accompanist I too was an Esraj hobbyist in my younger days and know the rudiments. I think, every instrument is pre-tuned for a particular basic sruthi. For example, different designs of flute can have different basic pitch. ( the difference between the flute of Mali and Ramani). Every make of VeeNa has a pre-designed aadaara sruthi frequency). Indian music system does not insist on any frequency fixation for the notes. I do not think, one can change the frequency value of the 12 swarasthanams in a given veena,
All that matters is the Relative notes.
Hindusthani classical music makes use of just 10 non-vivadi meLas and within tht framework, has created hundreds of very nice ragas. Where is the need for all that R3 etc stuff except pedantry?
-------------
I came across a very nice web page that maps the western notation of keys with the srgmpdns of Indian music.
As I feel that there may be hundreds of beginners ln this forum totally unfamiliar with the western system like myself, permit me to share a very educative link as a primer.
I will give the link and a summary in my next post. as I am having a lot of trouble with my ascii keyboard.

RSR

Post by RSR »

continued from p.25
---------------------
https://www.hitxp.com/keyboard-music-no ... octave.%20
---------------------------
The above lesson illustrates with diagrams, of the common harmonium keyboard keys the corresponding names of swarastams in western system to that of 'asrgmpdns' of CM/HM.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

RSR sir ,

I really doubt if the trend is ever going to go back to what you wish . It is a wishful thinking. Even if 5 percent of the songs sticks to grammar it is a great achievement.

Relating a light musical piece to a couple of raaga is no big task . It does not require any great ear. I just mentioned that I do not do that as mapping will not allow us to enjoy the music.

There are some musicians , who deliberately skirt around grammar just to keep the audience guessing. It gets boring. If a musician fails to picture the raaga and being evasive , I try not to figure out . If it is nice I enjoy though it is easy to find out with the notes that it should be this or that.

If the film songs does not provide that immediate punch to recognize that raaga and there are some interludes by coincidence then we have to enjoy the raaga. If you look at the raagas in note aspect then of course every music can be related to raaga , with some foreign notes and vakra vajra. But if you look at strict classism , not even all G. Ramanathan's fall into that. The same goes for old Hindi songs. Comparing the notes , or the raaga lakshana are two different things

RSR

Post by RSR »

@ganesh_mourthy
Hello Sir,
Googled for the film 'thookkuthookki'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thookku_Thookki
and It gives the ragam of the song 'sundari, soundari, niranthariye ' as Kurinji.
The wiki also gives some information about GRamanathan's ability to compose music very fast.
--------------------
Generally, I do not log in. except when I post something. I happened to see your private message about ragams for tamil film songs. and there are no takers in rasikas. So be it.
----------------------
Though retired, I do some job work for my livelihood.
No time to engage in debates and private conversations.
Always welcome to write to my gmail.
As advised by you, there wont be anymore posts in this thread
Best Regards.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Sir ...Yes , if you google there will be many sites for raga and film music. But they never explain how. For many of the songs there will be few raaga references notnjust one, but still without explanations. There are some songs that are clearly raaga based but not all.

No problem. I don't go that deep to relate each song to raaga by deciphering the notes. . I am happy just listening . It is nothing private. I thought of clearing it out in simple easy way . I have no interest and time too and I should not have . Some highly sophisticated connoisseurs can carry on with raga mapping for film songs. Thank you .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

SPBSoloEulogyFromRajesh Part 1 of 6 - By Rajesh
==================================================
Millions of Fans can say that they grew up with SPB in their life. I am also one of them . I took lot of time to chronicle this eulogy for SPB . I applied these filters/constraints for this Eulogy

1. Taken songs with only SPB as Solo . No duets brief humming is okay. SPB singing solo without interruption is what gives me maximum joy.

2. Not interested in giving irrelevant non musical tributes like tagging to actor/director/awards/album sales/ picturization.

3. I took my time to trace every song in each year and cherry picked the best song. Year of Release of the movie was the reference ,many a times songs may have come a year before.

4. I am planning to post 6 parts spread may be 2 or max of 3 posts per week .With that spread you have time to assimilate and if possible also hear the link of that song just in case if you do not know or forgotten.

5A. I post in this format
Song | Lyricist |Singer | Composer| Film | Year

5B. I give the link of youtube for that song .

5C .I write stating my mind at that age enclosed with << >> tag.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Mods:

You may consider shifting this thread to "LIGHT CLASSICAL" or to ''VAGGEYAKARAS'.
Last edited by Pratyaksham Bala on 16 Oct 2020, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Remembering a set of song of SPB is also a way of giving homage. I think we have stopped all the discussions . It is just a few favourites of each person . In fact I wanted to add too.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 19:57 Mods:

You may consider shifting this thread to 'LIGHT CLASSICAL'.
PB,
I think this thread was started in order to discuss the music of SPB. Not all of it falls under the rubric of “light classical!” More than half the posts so far do not discuss SPB, and this emotional thread has been hijacked. Post # 30 returns the discussion to the subject of the thread. It is only in General Discussions, where it does not need to fall into any of the categories we have.
OR to ''VAGGEYAKARAS' to give company to 'Vaggeyakara Ilaiyaraaja' !
An unnecessary jab isn’t it, considering that you didn’t like the creation of the Ilaiyaraaja thread under Vaggeyakaras? 🙂 Let the mourners have their space for a while. It’s only in General Ds, where we have had much worse stuff! Of course it’s up to the mods!

Pratyaksham Bala

Of course it’s up to the mods!
Yes, of course!

PS: The earlier post is now corrected.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Ranganayaki ,

You are correct. There is no strict rule for General Discussion and any contribution is fine as long as it is not a mudslinging post. Since I wanted to stop the obituary taking a deviation I thought a thread here could be good . Musician , Actor , Personality and Public figure may not even fit into vageyakkara for that matter. Some consideration and a bit of attention to detail could be good. Even otherwise it does not hurt to stay here in General Discussion for while. Mods will know what to do.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 06:13
Of course it’s up to the mods!
Yes, of course!

PS: The earlier post is now corrected.
That’s so nice of you 🙂, it’s wonderful 🙂.

RasikasModerator1

Post by RasikasModerator1 »

We will see how far this thread goes before we put it somewhere. Keep discussing freely.

Pratyaksham Bala

Is this the first movie song of S. P. Balasubrahmanyam ?
‘Emi Ee Vintha Moham’ in the 1967 Telugu movie
‘Sri Shri Shri Mariyaada Ramanna’ :-
https://youtu.be/GLWWieKU0tg?t=1
Last edited by Pratyaksham Bala on 16 Oct 2020, 14:19, edited 2 times in total.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

I think so . In one of his youtube video " simply SPB " he has mentioned that it is Gothandapani who introduced him in a telugu songs.

It is a series of videos where he talks a lot about his careers and the people he has worked with .

Pratyaksham Bala

Now, a doubt:
‘Emi Ee Vintha Moham’ was his first song, or ‘Harihara Narayano’?

The first song listed in ‘S. P. Balasubrahmanyam discography’ is ‘Harihara Narayano’ in the Telugu movie ‘Sri Sri Sri Mariyaada Ramanna’ !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._P._Bal ... iscography

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 14:59 .
Now, a doubt:
‘Emi Ee Vintha Moham’ was his first song, or ‘Harihara Narayano’?

The first song listed in ‘S. P. Balasubrahmanyam discography’ is ‘Harihara Narayano’ in the Telugu movie ‘Sri Sri Sri Mariyaada Ramanna’ !

‘Emi Ee Vintha Moham is SPB's first song where he gets just one stanza along with 3 other singers. There is also an interview of he himself saying that. I see in the movie link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Sri_S ... da_Ramanna that the other song Harihari Naaraayano is sung by TMS. I have not heard the other song

Relevant snippet :
----------------
"Harihari Naaraayano Aadi Naaraayano Karuninchi Mammelu Kamalalochanuda!"
Playback: TM Soundara Rajan
"Emiyee Vinta Moham!"
Playback: P. Susheela, S. P. Balasubrahmanyam (debut), K. Raghuramayya, P. B. Sreenivas

Will post in a day Part 2 of 6.

Pratyaksham Bala

Had checked earlier both
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Sri_S ... da_Ramanna
That is why the doubt!

Whereas
clearly mentions him as the singer of ‘Harihara Narayano’ in the Telugu movie ‘Sri Sri Sri Mariyaada Ramanna’, in the link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Sri_S ... da_Ramanna
it is not confirmed. As can be seen in the song list, reproduced below, the name TM Soundararajan is given in brackets, indicating that it is doubtful and not confirmed.
Songs[edit]
• "Harihari Naaraayano Aadi Naaraayano Karuninchi Mammelu Kamalalochanuda!"
o Playback: [TM Soundara Rajan]]
• "Sreekarudu Harudu" (Verse)
o Playback: K. Raghuramayya
• "Emiyee Vinta Moham!"
o Playback: P. Susheela, S. P. Balasubrahmanyam (debut), K. Raghuramayya, P. B. Sreenivas
• "Mangideelu Mangideelu O Poolabhaamaa!"
o Playback: Pithapuram Nageswara Rao, P. Susheela
• "Neeve Neevd Naa Daivamu, Neeve Naa Bhagyamu"
o Playback: P. Susheela
Also, none of the lists of songs by TMS list 'Harihara Narayana'.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I just checked youtube . The whole movie sri sri sri mariyada ramanna is uploaded. In roughly 3rd minute as soon as title ends only TMS sings the hari hari narayanO. Voice is definitely not spb.

https://youtu.be/EpgSI6gjpng
Last edited by rajeshnat on 16 Oct 2020, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

Pratyaksham Bala

Confirmed!

TM Soundararajan’s name is there in the list of singers given in the title, which can be noted here at 1.26.
https://youtu.be/EpgSI6gjpng?t=86

The song ‘Harihara Narayano', sung by TMS is here:
https://youtu.be/EpgSI6gjpng?t=193

Pratyaksham Bala

Pratyaksham Bala wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 13:26 Is this the first movie song of S. P. Balasubrahmanyam ?
‘Emi Ee Vintha Moham’ in the 1967 Telugu movie
‘Sri Shri Shri Mariyaada Ramanna’ :-
https://youtu.be/GLWWieKU0tg?t=1
Yes!

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

I think I remember him saying that the first song he recorded was one, but the first one to be released to the public (possibly a movie release, not sure) was another.

Pratyaksham Bala

Ranganayaki wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 00:29 I think I remember him saying that the first song he recorded was one, but the first one to be released to the public (possibly a movie release, not sure) was another.
That is about his Tamil cinema songs.

His first recorded song in Tamil was the ‘Iyarkaii Ennum Ilaiyya Kanni ‘ for the movie ‘Shanthi Nilayam’. But the first to be released was ‘Ayiram Nilave Vaa’ for the movie ‘Adimaipen’.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

SPBSoloEulogyFromRajesh Part 2 of 6 - By Rajesh
==================================================
#1977#
Junior Junior Iru Manam | Kannadasan | SPB | MS Viswanathan | Avargal | 1977
<< My mother says i went to this movie ,but i cannot recollect . This may have been my first aural taste of SPB . No youtube urls as I am not sure >>

#1978#
Kamban EmAndAn | Kannadasan | SPB | MS Viswanathan | Nizhal Nijamagiradhu |1978
<<I vaguely recollect this song as i used to enjoy. Not sure which year i heard this . I am assuming much later. No urls>>

#1979#
Uchi Uchi Vanguntheduthu | Pulamaipithan | SPB |Illayaraja |Rojappu RavikaikAri |1979
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt1424nG3r8
<< Now my memory is slightly firming up for sure . I did hear this song.I have fond memories hearing with cousins >>

#1980#
Sankaraa Naadasareeraparaa | Veturi Sundararamamoorthy| SPB | KV Mahadevan | Shankarabharanam |1980
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbtXffEM6o8
<<I went to Pilot theatre from my home at Madras.SPB was creating an unidentified classical music impact on me and few millions for sure>>

#1981#
Tere Mere Beech Mein(Sad Version) | AnandBakshi | SPB | LaxmikanthPyarelal | EkDujeKeliyE | 1981
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPaGMGHeR_Q
<<This song experience perhaps educated me that there is North India and South India .Hindi language was new to me>>

#1982#
Raaga Deepam Yetrum neram| Muthulingam | SPB | Illayaraja | Payanangal Mudivathillai |1982
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvynWdkP6WU
<<From this year my memory is crystal clear . I went with my dad and mom to a theatre by name Krishnaveni in madras. At that year just not aware of the music composer and singer separation. It is possible the unknown higher register carnatic ragam Hamsanandi that this tune is based just impacted more heavily than the earlier shankarabharanam>>

#1983#
Thakita Thadimi | Vairamuthu | SPB | Illayaraja | Salangai Oli (dub of Telugu Sagara Sangamam) |1983
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-qgOqg9kP4 - Telugu Version
https://youtu.be/sKxwTuVBbo8?t=98 - Tamil version
<<This movie went deep into my psyche . I preferred the duet songs of this movie than this only solo. Understood music composer and singer separation >>

RunnersUp For Solo (#1977 to #1983)
-----------------------------------
As I was picking only one winner. Few runnerups came very very close . I will only mention the song details with no youtube links. Only winner gets youtube url link. This is my taste to pick one as winner and rest as runners. You may differ no point posting with reply.Even for me especially years 1982,1985,1986 and 1992 took me even a day to make up and even now at times feel like changing.

#1979#
Chinna purA Onru | ???| SPB | Illayaraja |Anbe Sangeetha | 1979
Vaa PonmayilE | Panju Arunachalam | SPB | Illayaraja | Poonthalir | 1979

idhu Kuzhandhai paadum | T Rajendar | SPB | T Rajendar | Oru Thalai Raagam | 1980
Ithu oru ponmalai pozhudhu | Vairamuthu | SPB | Illayaraja | Nizhalgal | 1980

Theertha Karai ThanilE | Mahakavi bharathiyar | SPB | MS Viswanathan | 1980
<<This song is quite deep in my psyche. Bit later came to know that it is Mahakavi Bharathiyar and perhaps SPB feeded my first love for Tamil and ofcourse mahakavi>>

#1981#
Hey Oraiyiram | Panchu Arunachalam |SPB | Illayaraja |Meendum Kokila | 1981
endarO mahanubhavulu |sadguru Thyagaraja |SPB | KV Mahadevan |Thyagayya (telugu movie) | 1981

#1982#
Sangeetha Jaathi Mullai |Vairamuthu | SPB | Illayaraja | kadhal Oviyam | 1982
PoovilVandu | Vairamuthu | SPB | Illayaraja | kadhal Oviyam | 1982

IllayanilA | Vairamuthu | SPB | Illayaraja | Payanangal Mudivathillai | 1982
vaigarayil | Gangai Amaran| SPB | Illayaraja | Payanangal Mudivathillai | 1982

Neethane Enthan Pon Vasantham | Vairamuthu | SPB | Illayaraja | Ninaivellam Nithya | 1982
Pani Vizhum Malar vanam | Vairamuthu | SPB | Illayaraja | Ninaivellam Nithya |1982

O nenje nee thaan | Kuruvikkarambai Shanmugam | SPB with humming by Pallavi and charan | ShankarGanesh | Darling Darling Darling | 1982
<<This song is not of that high quality of other runner ups. Just picked it as SPB daughter and Son (Pallavi and Charan) sang the la la la humming part >>

#1983#
Vaanam Keezhe Vanthaal enna | Vaali | SPB | Illayaraja |Thoongathey Thambi Thoongathey| 1983

-Rajesh , dated Oct 2020

-- Will continue after readers catch up --

Snippet that can be shared to outside world thru socialmedia :
---------------------------------------------

SPBSoloEulogyFromRajesh Part 2 of 6 - By Rajesh
-----------------------------------------
SPB as Solo in Years 1977 to 1983

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=367056#p367056

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

I wanted to add my favourites but Rajeshnat bet me to it.

SPB was a latecomer into my admirer's list. In your earlier days, you are easily an impressionable connoisseur of music. And whatever someone you like and highly regarded said becomes the golden standard for you. Some even made me look down on Film music.

As days went by , the music of SPB was not lost on me. It started sinking in me and I was enamoured by his singing. There is a saying " a good speaker gives an impresses you as though he sings , and a great singer speaks to you as he sings" . There were undeniably great voices but not every voice spoke to you . SPB's singing can speak to you and this was something attracted to his singing more than his voice. Nobody planted this in my mind.

And many a times my observation was right. Once I was in the company of one of my nerdy very well recognized scientist uncles and for him there existed no art world and all that existed were string theory and god particles and he cannot even recognize the popular singers by their voices . There was a song playing in the TV as we were chatting and it was from the movie Chippikkul muthu and we were surprised to hear him saying " ivan paadaraanaa illa vasiyam pannuraanaa " ... and there was another song from the same movie where he exclaimed " aha " a few times. It was strange coming out of someone who cannot differentiate between a coffee and tea .

That was one of the aha moment for me . I had listened these two songs many times to wonder what made someone as him to feel moved...

The song from " sippikkul muthu"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnKG7Gle5pw

the same song in Telugu " swathi muktham"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Eo8LEUP2Lk&t=56s

And the following song is full of aha moments for me ... I cannot stop saying aha aloud everytime I listen it and It was that nerdy mind that directed me to listen to this song...When listening to this song now my heart feels heavy for whatever reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qds2jxoq6Yw

The song in Telugu and the visual is also something to relish... playful and naive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts-Y5qr307E

I will continue as long as I can ... Mods pl dont block this thread for any reason...

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Pratyaksham Bala wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 04:09
That is about his Tamil cinema songs.
Ah, yes, right, thanks!