Lovely little home concert by Kamalakiran Vinjamuri

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Ranganayaki

Lovely little home concert by Kamalakiran Vinjamuri

Post by Ranganayaki »

https://youtu.be/4MQPL4OlbcQ

Home violin concert by Kamalakiran Vinjamuri live now.

ganesh_mourthy

Re: Lovely little home concert by Kamalakiran Vinjamuri

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

I have heard him once perform before M.Chandrashekhar as a little boy. Wow

rajeshnat

Kamalakiran Vinjamuri@DC tristate area on Aug 3rd 2020

Post by rajeshnat »

Kamalakiran Vinjamuri@DC tristate area on Aug 3rd 2020
-----------------------------------------------------
Violin - kamalakiran
Accompaniments - Air
Duration - 1 hour and 50 mins

1. mahaganapathE palayshumam - natanarayani -MD
2. entamuddO entasogusO (R ,S)- bindumalini -T
3. sobillo sapthaswara (R,S) - jaganmohini - T

4. sri ramam ravikula - narayanagowlai - MD
5. marivere dikkevarayya rama(R N S) - Shanmugapriya - Patnam
6. ElarA shrI krishNA (R) - calmBodhi - T

7A. inta sowkhya (R N S T)- kapi - T
7B. tani for 0 mins

8. raga sudha rasa????? - ANdOlika -T
9.bhavayami gopAlabAlam??? (R) - yamunakalyani -AC
10. pibarE rAmarasam - Ahirbhairav- Sadashiva brahmendra
11. nee naama roopamulaku - sowrashtram -T

What a surprise for me personally.? I was thinking without any pakkavadyam can violin sound such rich in melody and muse.Kamalakiran played beautifully to keep me completely hooked.

The start in natanarayani was wonderful. Schools like Chitoor-Somu brought in first is my assumption. Bindumalini showed the delicacy cetainly reminded the great mahavidwan LGJ .Nice caressing to keep it completely subduded.THe landscape changed from a caressing bindumalini to expressive and forceful jaganmohini with sobillu , neraval and swaras were well done with his limited performance of he singing one line of neraval

In Narayanagowlai kamalakiran showcased a clever mix of delicacy of bindumalini and an expression of jagamohini.Did slightly disappoint me as he just quickly ended the song ,ending with swaras would have been better

The joy of listening the prati emperor came in next. It was shanmghapriya.FOr the few occasions that i heard his guru A kanyakumari playing , she used to prefer a lot with a drop of shanmughapriya. Once i heard AK playing with this lovely boy KK seated next to me in arkays. Shanmughapriya gives expressions which are very deep certainly the azhuttam that comes with kamalakiran shanmughapriya was noteworthy. I was praying at the end of alapana let there be for a change AndavanE of MMI but as expected MLV school marivere dikkevarayya came in (i am note sure if GNB has sung this patnam krithi) , kamalakiran continued to dazzle with his azhuttam and lovely swara patterns showcasing what this divine instrument can be done with his magical fingers.

Shanmughapriya submain and KambOdhi main in succession is a very common combination is what i thought .But it was a surprise and i was wrong .The kambOdhi was a short filler with a rare elara shri krishnA , this kambOdhi is not the usual stormbodhi in steriods

What a great follow up of Main . The andavane prayer for a missed shanmughapriya krithi was bestowed bit late with inta sowkhya in kapi. THe ragam in kapi was very meditative for most part bit reminding of KVN approach(KVN borrowed a lot of coffee from MMI) .Surprised with a transition to kambOdhi??, was the next shuruTTi and then back to kapi with brilliant rolling brighas. Did he also playfully or mistakenly play few sangathis of few brief snippets of shivaranjani towards the end or did i mistake it . Inta sowkhya krithi rendition was along the lines of KVN with he singing few lines of neraval . I am assuming he had to do that a bit also to take a bit of fingering rest. There was also a distinct melkala neraval , very very rare to have a violin solo neraval usually it is neraval sketch and swaras .Swaras were well done , he moved to few swararagamaliga sketches of KAMbOdhi, shuruTTi. coffee stayed piping hot and only had its few chicory touches of kambOdhi and shuruTTi. THere was bit way too much of rotation of other two ragas bit upsetting the focus of my dear piping hot coffee, he could have finished swaras bit better. In the tukkadas i am not sure if he played the first two krithis but pibare ramarasam i am sure.

I did not pause nor rewind ever the play , just heard the whole near 2 hours in one go. Kamalakiran is brilliant with his mastery of violin - absolutely right azhuttam ,clearly showcasing the thick and thin of every ragam that he played. One has to give him the credit not just for his age but for his incredible ability to focus without the aid of percussion . The pandemic has indeed not bothered an iota in this great performance

Overall an excellent 1 hour and 50 mins non stop violin concert

Ranganayaki

Re: Lovely little home concert by Kamalakiran Vinjamuri

Post by Ranganayaki »

8. raga sudha rasa????? - ANdOlika -T
9.bhavayami gopAlabAlam??? (R) - yamunakalyani -AC
10. pibarE rAmarasam - Ahirbhairav- Sadashiva brahmendra
11. nee naama roopamulaku - sowrashtram -T
I found it interesting that Kamalakiran played little sketches of all four ragas in one go, one after the other like a ragamalika in reverse order of course, before beginning RagaSudhaRasa in Andolika. He played continuously without a break, one song segueing into the other. It was all handled very lightly, especially Pibare RamaRasam, but the Ahir Bhairav was very delicate during the kriti!