No SK this year!

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
rupavathi

No SK this year!

Post by rupavathi »

Academy is doing a truncated season online.
Dec 24-31. Four concerts a day 1.5 hrs each.
No morning sessions, no SK.

thanjavooran

Re: No SK this year!

Post by thanjavooran »

MA can consider to confer SK on online too.

CRama

Post by CRama »

But why to truncate the concert duration

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Glad MA has planned at least a token celebration of the season.

devan

Post by devan »

Only sks. and prize winners likely to sing.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 11:43 But why to truncate the concert duration
That way when normalancy returns next year rasikas will again flock to live concerts as there is more content.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

More than the music, the most affected would be the canteen business and fancy dress competition !!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Well said!
And also gossiping on US connections.
Thanjavooran
13 08 2020

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Are you sure Normalcy will return next year?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

rajeshnat wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 07:32
CRama wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 11:43 But why to truncate the concert duration
That way when normalancy returns next year rasikas will again flock to live concerts as there is more content.
:? That doesn't make sense!
hnbhagavan wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 13:09 Are you sure Normalcy will return next year?
If only we could be sure.

They say that to live in interesting times is a curse! It has been proved right. We can only hope that times are less interesting by December 2021.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Instead of shorter duration conduct the festival with limited audience and also webcast the concerts.Sell like in Airlines lesser number of tickets to maintain Social distance.
The tickets can be priced higher and even after noon concerts may be included in Ticket.
Do not compromise on titles.
Conduct it as usual but Webcast at least selected portions.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

hnbhagavan wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 16:51 Instead of shorter duration conduct the festival with limited audience and also webcast the concerts.
They are not logical alternatives.
Sell like in Airlines lesser number of tickets to maintain Social distance.
Once the front doors are open to the public, the whole machine, and the expense of running it kicks into gear.

Also, they may have considered the safety of their staff and volunteers and decided not to ask them to take risk of interacting with the general public at this time. That seems wise to me.
The tickets can be priced higher and even after noon concerts may be included in Ticket.
MA tickets are already into thousands
Do not compromise on titles.
Conduct it as usual but Webcast at least selected portions.
Same objections apply to any public activity. What they could do is to compromise on the ceremony, and make, at least, the major awards. The recipient gets the same credit, whether they arrive on stage or in the post, except for that one day.

Anyway, I'm guessing that all this is decided and fixed now, and what we say won't make any difference. And gods forbid that our ideas might be kept for next year. :shock:

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

guys if this news is reliable, I welcome the truncation, online content and only the best to perform. Whatever the formula for selection, the fact we enjoy the MA experience online is welcome.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Sabhas going in for on line concerts would result in overlapping of slots.
If priced, viewers would be less.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

On the whole, the whole social media concerting has a) Allowed pretty much anyone who can sing or play to publicize their talents and b) Resulted in a massive drop in the overall musicality in a concert, due to significantly reduced concert duration. Almost every concert is now a mini tiffin compared to an old school feast. And every musician I know is just praying and keeping their fingers crossed as to just when they'll get back to full swing.

We have to be grateful that they're keeping up their enthusiasm at a time like this.

That vaccine can't come soon enough.

hydkarthik

Post by hydkarthik »

Sivaramakrishnan wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 10:30 Sabhas going in for on line concerts would result in overlapping of slots.
If priced, viewers would be less.
Academy concerts will be uploaded on digital platforms for Free listening.
https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/ ... 330050.ece

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

SrinathK wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 16:38 On the whole, the whole social media concerting has a) Allowed pretty much anyone who can sing or play to publicize their talents and b) Resulted in a massive drop in the overall musicality in a concert, due to significantly reduced concert duration. Almost every concert is now a mini tiffin compared to an old school feast. And every musician I know is just praying and keeping their fingers crossed as to just when they'll get back to full swing.

We have to be grateful that they're keeping up their enthusiasm at a time like this.

when tom, dick and harry can review concert in forums and rate the concert good, bad and ugly, not sure why buddings musicians can take social media platform to perform. The music in any case is diluted in quality and so are the reviews :shock:

RSR

Post by RSR »

just another web cast program. like any other. Concert hall music has surely become an anachronism. May be all for good.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

hydkarthik wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 11:25 Academy concerts will be uploaded on digital platforms for Free listening.
Thanks. I read that article on the day, but somehow missed the word "free." :)
ram1999 wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 13:35... not sure why buddings musicians can take social media platform to perform. ...
Is there a law against going out onto the street outside you house and singing? No. Social media is the street of today, especially to those stuck at home. Be happy... simply skip that which doesn't please you, just as you might avoid some concerts in halls. --- retracted. I'm reacting to a typo... :lol:
Last edited by Nick H on 15 Aug 2020, 20:38, edited 2 times in total.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Nick H wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 15:42
hydkarthik wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 11:25 Academy concerts will be uploaded on digital platforms for Free listening.
Thanks. I read that article on the day, but somehow missed the word "free." :)
ram1999 wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 13:35... not sure why buddings musicians can take social media platform to perform. ...
Is there a law against going out onto the street outside you house and singing? No. Social media is the street of today, especially to those stuck at home. Be happy... simply skip that which doesn't please you, just as you might avoid some concerts in halls.
Budding musicians - I meant to say why they can’t - ‘t’ got missed out while typing 😀

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

Erroneous report. It won't be free.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Rasikas should be willing to pay for digital broadcast .In these difficult times it will go a long way to fund the Sabhas to pay for the expenses as well as artists.These difficult times all the artists do not have any income.Infact Sabhas should openly invite for donations to help the musicians in need.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

ram1999 wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 17:41 Budding musicians - I meant to say why they can’t - ‘t’ got missed out while typing 😀
lol --- And there's me thinking you were being even more grumpy than me! :lol:

Amended my post accordingly.
rupavathi wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 18:49
Erroneous report. It won't be free.
known? Or your guess? Which is as good as mine... but I think they won't get enough takers to make it worth charging. There's only a few sell-out evening concerts.
hnbhagavan wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 19:42 Rasikas should be willing to pay for digital broadcast .In these difficult times it will go a long way to fund the Sabhas to pay for the expenses as well as artists.These difficult times all the artists do not have any income.Infact Sabhas should openly invite for donations to help the musicians in need.
But yes, I do agree. Another guess of mine is that many of the sponsors may not be rushing to come forward this year.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

ram1999 wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 13:35
SrinathK wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 16:38 On the whole, the whole social media concerting has a) Allowed pretty much anyone who can sing or play to publicize their talents and b) Resulted in a massive drop in the overall musicality in a concert, due to significantly reduced concert duration. Almost every concert is now a mini tiffin compared to an old school feast. And every musician I know is just praying and keeping their fingers crossed as to just when they'll get back to full swing.

when tom, dick and harry can review concert in forums and rate the concert good, bad and ugly, not sure why buddings musicians can take social media platform to perform. The music in any case is diluted in quality and so are the reviews :shock:
On rasikas, we only had Ram, Nick and Harimau... :lol: :lol:

Speaking to artiste friends, they're being discreet about it, but the lack of income and opportunity is really a blow to them at this point -- actually it is the artistes whom you seldom hear about who are worst affected, and I say it would actually be a good idea if some kind of basic income or NREGA for artists was made available as a scheme.

For this reason, rasikas should understand and be willing for some amount of paid digital music at this time.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

SrinathK wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 22:06 ... For this reason, rasikas should understand and be willing for some amount of paid digital music at this time.
That, and contribute to the fund of your choice. There seem to be several that are distributing such contributions to artists.

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

Nick H wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 20:37
rupavathi wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 18:49 Erroneous report. It won't be free.
known? Or your guess? Which is as good as mine... but I think they won't get enough takers to make it worth charging. There's only a few sell-out evening concerts.
I don't post speculations

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

rupavathi wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 18:53
Nick H wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 20:37
rupavathi wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 18:49 Erroneous report. It won't be free.
I don't post speculations
Except when you do. viewtopic.php?p=265054#p265054

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

Thanks for your diligence! :)
But that wasn't speculation. Maybe you should account for the possibility that things changed rapidly in the two weeks between my post and the announcement of TVG as that yr's SK. ;)

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Ha ha! I know you don't (usually) speculate, Rupavathi :)
I told several people that year that a very respectable source told me that E Gayatri was going to be SK. I'm still holding that against you :)

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Multi faceted TVG very much older to Guruvayur, VVS and THV

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I certainly did not know that there is also a possibility of last hour swap of sangeetha kalanidhi till mahavishnu and rupavathi posts . Now I am speculating that it was awarded to tvg so that next year awardee has two sk nominations.

It is damn easy to correctly guess who will get sk for next 7 years but difficult to predict the coming year.

I hope in 2021 they bunch and award both 2020 and 2021 . They should not skip awarding a year. Already decisions like not awarding diuring T and MD bi centenary may have skipped possible awardees say like even great mdr.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

rajeshnat wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 11:34 I certainly did not know that there is also a possibility of last hour swap of sangeetha kalanidhi till mahavishnu and rupavathi posts .
Something can be unanimous today: something different can be unanimous tomorrow :lol:

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

The schedule is out. "Ill-advised atrocity" is the kindest way of describing it...

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

rupavathi wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 20:40 The schedule is out. "Ill-advised atrocity" is the kindest way of describing it...
haha what do you expect from Music Academy. An organisation that has become rigid/obnoxious/arrogant over the years in all that they do .... SK awardee selection, concert opportunities for the deserving etc etc.

Better concerts are heard in Nada Inbam and Aarkay Convention Centre and Sastry Hall. No fan fare - sub lime music offered always and consistently !!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Music Academy can broadcast from its archives selected concerts of Yester years - Semmangudi,MDR,GNB etc at least for one session during the festival.

S.M. Vasudevan

Post by S.M. Vasudevan »

This is quite nice as I live in the USA. This will give me the opportunity to see some of the concerts live.

RSR

Post by RSR »

I happened to see the full schedule for music academy slots and artistes. All the evening concerts are wonderfully allotted. I was particularly impressed and intrigued by Sanjay concert followed by Sudha!
Veterans like knanyakumari and jayanthi kumaresh get solo slot.
Very auspicious beginning with Nagaswaram. I wish that every day, Alease one nagasaram oncert of short duration had been accommodated between the 4-30 and 6pm concerts.
Another great feature is that there is a galaxy of SK'S in both 4pm and 6pm concets.
Diaspora can simply donate and ticket sales should be at the counter evryday for Chennai rasikas, though Is only a webcast.
Next year this pattern should become the rule and concers should be real' exclusively reserved for indian -south indian residents. no virtual presence but real presence.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

MA should announce the SangeethaKalanidhi awards and they can be virtually awarded this time.Skipping will deprive a deserving winner.
In case next year when the physical style of festival resumes they can be honored again.

S.M. Vasudevan

Post by S.M. Vasudevan »

hnbhagavan wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 17:07 MA should announce the SangeethaKalanidhi awards and they can be virtually awarded this time.Skipping will deprive a deserving winner.
In case next year when the physical style of festival resumes they can be honored again.
Yes I agree. Who do you think is deserving of winning it? I am curious. Thank you.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Some people are out of reckoning even though they deserve.This happens when the relations between individual and organisation are not in sync.
This being Lalgudi G Jayaraman's 90 th birth centenary and the Lalgudi trust has planned a big tribute on Sep 20 at 5:00 PM being webcast.
It would be befitting if Lalgudi Siblings now performing for four decades are given the title.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Again and again I am repeating.

VVS,. GURUVAYUR, and THV

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

S.M. Vasudevan wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 19:45
hnbhagavan wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 17:07 MA should announce the SangeethaKalanidhi awards and they can be virtually awarded this time.Skipping will deprive a deserving winner.
Yes I agree. Who do you think is deserving of winning it? I am curious. Thank you.
It should be given to TMK with a hope that that at least then he stops talking rubbish or write some crappy articles AND he stops giving concerts with a pseudo vilamba kalam singing :lol: :lol:

S.M. Vasudevan

Post by S.M. Vasudevan »

ram1999 wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 11:09
It should be given to TMK with a hope that that at least then he stops talking rubbish or write some crappy articles AND he stops giving concerts with a pseudo vilamba kalam singing :lol: :lol:
I don't really keep up with the drama so I can't comment on his remarks but I have heard that he says many controversial things. I think an older artist instrumentalist who has not gotten it yet deserves it. Maybe Guruvayur Dorai. A more present artist though I think Sri Lalgudi GJR Krishnan deserves it. And of course Smt. Lalgudi Vayajalakshmi. There are so many artists but out of all of them, I think Lalgudi GJR and Vijayalakshmi should get it.

RSR

Post by RSR »

(in continuation of my earlier post at 38)
-----------------------------------------

Music Academy’s 94th Annual Concerts Schedule by sriramv

Inside the Music Academy auditorium
The 94th annual music festival of the Music Academy, Madras will be digital and a short series, from December 24th to 31st. The programmes will be divided as is usual into junior, sub senior and senior slots. Details on how to view and which of the concerts will be ticketed and if so how much, etc, will follow.
94th Annual Concerts (Digital), 2020
All timings in IST
/QUOTE

star added by me
------------------------------------------
Thursday, 24th December

3.15 - 4.15 pm -
Aishwarya Shankar (Vocal)
Sindhu Suchetan (Violin)
D.V.Sivaraman
--------------------------
4.30 - 5.30 pm
Sunil Gargyan (Vocal)
Madurai M.Vijayganesh (Violin)
Srivanchiam R.Sriram (Mridangam)
-----------------------
5.45 - 7.15 pm
Sembanarkoil S.R.G.S. Mohandoss & Party (Nadaswaram)
------------------------------
7.30 - 9.00 pm
Kunnakkudy M.Balamurali Krishna (Vocal)
B.U.Ganesh Prasad (Violin)
Trichy B.Harikumar (Mridangam)
B.Sree Sundarkumar (Kanjira)
================================================
Friday, December 25th

3.15- 4.15 pm
V.Venkatanagarajan (Vocal)
Sayee Rakshith (Violin)
T.Nikshith (Mridangam)
----------------------------------------
4.30 - 5.30 pm
R.Ashwath Narayanan (Vocal)
Parur M.S.Ananthakrishnan (Violin)
Chidambaram S.Balashankar (Mridangam)
5.45 - 7.15 pm
Ranjani & Gayatri (Vocal) --*
L.Ramakrishnan (Violin)
Manoj Siva (Mridangam)
Anirudh Athreya (Kanjira)
-------------------------------------------
7.30 - 9.00 pm
Jayanthi Kumaresh (Veena)----*
K.U.Jayachandra Rao (Mridangam)
Trichy S.Krishnaswamy

============================================
Saturday, December 26th

3.15 - 4.15 pm
Vishnudev Namboothiri (Vocal)--*
Sandeep Ramach
andran (Violin)
B.S.Prashanth (Mridangam)
----------------------------------------
4.30 - 5.30 pm
J.B.Sruthi Sagar (Flute)
K.P.Nandini (Violin)
R.Akshay Ram (Mridangam)
5.45- 7.15 pm
Sangita Kalanidhi Dr.S.Sowmya (Vocal) ---*
Embar S.Kannan (Violin)
Neyveli R Narayanan (Mridangam)
H.Prasanna (Ghatam)
7.30 - 9.00 pm
Sangita Kalanidhi Sanjay Subrahmanyan (Vocal)----*
S.Varadarajan (Violin)
Neyveli B.Venkatesh (Mridangam)
Bangalore B Rajasekhar
==============================================
Sunday, December 27th

3.15 - 4.15 pm
Vivek Sadasivam (Vocal)
V.Deepika (Violin)
Ambur S.Padmanabhan (Mridangam)
---------------------------------
4.30 - 5.30 pm
Sriranjani Santhanagopalan (Vocal)
Chidambaram G.Badrinath (Violin)
Akshay Anand (Mridangam)
---------------------------------
5.45 - 7.15 pm
Sikkil C.Gurucharan (Vocal)-----*
H.N.Bhaskar (Violin)
Sangita Kalanidhi Umayalpuram K.Sivaraman (Mridangam)
-----------------------------------
7.30 - 9.00 pm
Lalgudi G.J.R.Krishnan & Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi (Violin Duet)-----*
Anantha R.Krishnan (Mridangam)
V.Suresh (Ghatam)
===============================================
Monday, 28th December

3.15-4.15 pm
Ramana Balachandran (Veena)
Kishore Ramesh (Mridangam)
-------------------------------
4.30 - 5.30 pm
Vignesh Ishwar (Vocal)
B.Vittal Rangan (Violin)
K.Sai Giridhar (Mridangam)
-----------------------------------
5.45 - 7.15 pm
Sangita Kalanidhi Sudha Ragunathan (Vocal)-----*
Charumathi Raghuraman (Violin)
Patri Satishkumar (Mriangam)
R.Raman (Moharsing)
---------------------------------------
7.30 - 9.00 pm
Sumithra Vasudev (Vocal)---------*
Dr.M.Narmadha (Violin)
B.Ganapathyraman (Mridangam)
Papanasam S.Sethuraman (Kanjira)
========================================

Tuesday, 29th December

4.30 - 5.30 pm
Aishwarya Vidhya Raghunath (Vocal)
M.Vijay (Violin)
K.H.Vineeth (Mridangam)
---------------------------------------
5.45 - 7.15 pm
Visakha Hari (Harikatha)---------*
B.Anantha Krishnan (Violin)
B.Arjun Ganesh (Mridangam)
Trichy Dr.K.Murali (Ghatam)
7.30 - 9.00 pm
Ramakrishnan Murthy (Vocal)---------*
R.K.Shriramkumar (Violin)
Sumesh S.Narayan (Mridangam)
K.V.Gopalakrishnan
Wednesday, 30th December

4.30 - 5.30 pm
N.Ananthanarayanan (Veena)
Mandapaka Nagalakshmi (Mridangam)
--------------------------------
5.45 - 7.15 pm
Sangita Kalanidhi A.Kanyakumari (Violin)-------------*
K.V.Prasad (Mridangam)
Bhagyalakshmi M.Krishna (Moharsing)
----------------------------------
7.30 - 9.00 pm
K.Bharat Sundar (Vocal)--------------------*
R.Raghul (Violin)
B.Sivaraman (Mridangam)
S.V.Ramani (Ghatam)

Thursday, 31st December

5.45 -7.15 pm
K.Gayatri (Vocal)
M.Rajeev (Violin)
Poongulam Subramaniam (Mridangam)

Ananthakrishna

Post by Ananthakrishna »

This reply is coming rather late. I apologize for that.

Since there are no academic sessions this year, not having a Sangeetha Kalanidhi makes sense, because the Sangeetha Kalanidhi is technically the president of the academic conference of the season.
However, I do feel that a deserving candidate for the SK would be Sri R K Shriramkumar. His vidvat, and musical intelligence is unparalled. He has contributed greatly to CM education too, through his immensely insightful lec-dems and the songs he has tuned. He is a virtuoso on the violin, and an accomplished vocalist as well. Since the SK was primarily designated as the award given to the president of the academic conference, Sri RKS is an ideal choice.

I also thoroughly agree that all the other musicians mentioned are equally worthy and deserving of the title.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Ananthakrishna wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 18:52 I do feel that a deserving candidate for the SK would be Sri R K Shriramkumar...
Let RKSK become SKRKSK. It has a nice balance!

I mentioned my hope to him when we last met. He, of course, treated the idea with his usual humility. How long we have to wait depends on whether the academy is in aged-only mode. Or if the swing between aged ones and youth misses out those in the middle.