High time to discuss Music Season 2020

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
uday_shankar

Re: High time to discuss Music Season 2020

Post by uday_shankar »

Ranganayaki wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 04:05 A very misguided post.
Indeed! :o
Ranganayaki wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 04:05 And there are far more important and impactful things to wait for Nov 4 th for than just a silly music season.
This I disagree with. I can't believe in a hierachy of concerns where livelihoods are involved. While musicians don't make much money during the season, every penny counts. Also, musicians acutely miss the live katcheri experience to exercise their craft which has an impact on their overall professional confidence and enterprise and hope. So if I were a professional musician, it would be far from a "silly music season" to me. One young mridangam player in Mylapore died of suicide a couple months back, apparently from livelihood concerns.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Ranganayaki wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 04:05 Puh-leese.
<snip>
just a silly music season.
IPL is all set for September thru November. Baseball started yesterday! "Silly" music season eagerly awaited.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

shankarank wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 04:09 @Rajeshnat was being satirical! People missed it! :D
Really? Thought he was finally making sense :D

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

uday_shankar wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 08:34 This I disagree with. I can't believe in a hierachy of concerns where livelihoods are involved. While musicians don't make much money during the season, every penny counts. Also, musicians acutely miss the live katcheri experience to exercise their craft which has an impact on their overall professional confidence and enterprise and hope. So if I were a professional musician, it would be far from a "silly music season" to me. One young mridangam player in Mylapore died of suicide a couple months back, apparently from livelihood concerns.
That is important. By the way you all wouldn’t interpret “silly” too literally, would you? I use the word silly in irritatatikn with the idea that it is all fake news. There was no sarcasm in Rajeshnat’s post, it was quite primary in its tone. “Sarcasm” is just an out offered by sankarank. Rajeshnat clutched at it.

You can guess that the season in general is important to me too. It is a dream of mine to be able to enjoy it just once. But I’m stuck never being able to travel in December.
As such in few whatsapp posts that I share with friends I am sharing same sentiment or my own intuition here. I think likely corona death will exactly happen on November 03rd , 2020 . That date is us president election. Post that all of a sudden vaccine, cases being low , they are not fatal will be headlines than rather excess negativity of odometer curve, no icu beds ,spiking cases etc which is the headlines right now.

(...)

The December season must go on with reduced count of concerts is my sincere wish and prayer till November 03rd.
It is the notion of praying for the season in the context of Nov 3rd that I was reacting to. So much is out of control and badly damaged in the world, there is so much to pray for and this is our big concern?

One could pray that the scourge of the virus ends and we can have our season in peace. But connecting it to the US election (on which hinge far more consequential things) - that too on the premise that the pandemic will magically fix itself because it’s all fake?

That’s why I said silly season. “Silly” is à transferred epithet here. The discussion of the wish to have a season is, right now, in this thread, a discussion about our prime event of the year. It is anxiety for the major joy of December being cancelled, our prime entertainment not being there. The festive atmosphere, the sabha hopping, all that. It’s not a discussion about the livelihood of poor musicians.

Everybody, including me, is aware of the plight of the poor who need to work . It’s a concern all over the world. It is in that light Too that Nov 2 may be important - that the needy may become employed sooner rather than later with the US getting a grip on the situation, not by Covid being fake news.

If we are as influential as Rajeshnat claims, we should all insist that poorer musicians be paid anyway. All the money - tickets, season tickets that would normally be spent / collected, should be collected with everyone who can afford it making the payment for free: no concert, or virtual concert, and Star musicians must add their bit and contribute. The artists who can afford it must act in solidarity and a spirit of sacrifice. Yhere should be some sort of common resolution. Those are easy solutions, @uday, for what you are talking about. But look at this thread - that is not the thrust, is it? The concern is much sillier.

But it was the post that was silly. The idea of praying for the season to be held based on a certain outcome of the US election through magical expectations that the icu bed crisis will just disappear because of the media headlines as he said is preposterous and silly. So, “silly” season. It’s a way of speaking. A transferred epithet.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ranganayaki,
The media in general is way too negative , i am not taking any sides on US politics here and basing the outcome of elections. It is way too much for any media to give away Corona partial success for any party as it is a prime topic for anyone to lose or win. Even if the cases come down and even if say a vaccine is just given to millions say in sept 2020 . This corona is like a thorn and rose atleast for next 1 year or so ..Most of the media sees only the thorn and have brought in far far more negativity. I donot want a cottage industry like CM falling in this mess where we can communicate clearly with a process and still hold it with reduced extravaganza . It is possible to have social distance in place and continue to have the season.

I was thinking a shade of sarcasm in what i wrote before .If you reread my previous post , i never used the word fake news :) . I was only concerned what gets highlighted as headlines. You had put the word fake news

Suresh,
The IPL ends on Nov 07th is the news that we all saw today morning . When I wrote yesterday I did not know the IPL would be scheduled till i saw your post . For roughly a month in Aug Sept all will be maintaining social distance and staying indoors for sure with most of us glued to the Television that increases the chances of more of flattening the curve, pray additionally that CSK wins this edition so that CM season is a desert season with CSK lifting the trophy. :idea:

Uday,
You wrote very well in your second part but I am not sure why you started acknowledging some thing opposite in the first part . Adding to the points of financial distress that you beautifully covered , I am primarily concerned on few more things :idea:

1. Rasikas had the habit of attending live concerts and it is a 100 year old habit transmitting from one generation to another for most rasikas . This longer lockdown is kind of hurting big time the habit of each rasika going to where the content is . I prefer we having cm concerts , few dramas without artist having makeup and also few dance programs so that live arts festival is not having a gap ever. The season can be held strictly where we bring a very limited audience in the age group of say 18 to 60 spread them in the hall maintaining distance. We continue to embrace fine arts without a break , support and motivate artists.

2. I see some cities in the world planning to open theatres too . Also some pressure is evident in some countries to open schools also. Apart from US even delhi is planning to do the same . Neet and IIT JEE exams all will be held in Aug sept and college admissions will bring in more people come together and face the corona , possibly the herd immunity will come to us atleast in India

CM season is not Aug Sept 2020 , we can wait and watch especially when the 2nd part is done where we would get some insights to take action . I dont know why this premier establishment like academy gave an official no season this time note so soon , why could they not wait some more time and then announce. The continental flights that too from North America is not on at all so you are not disappointing any travellers .Are they stopping any north american NRIS in boarding any ship which takes next 100 days :oops: for it to travel from Sanfransisco/NewYork to Chennai. They could have stayed quite or just said we are observing the situation . If it is worse please do cancel on November .

All said I wish sabhas other than academy seriously wait and watch . Hopefully We can reduce the season by curtailing the concert count and delay the decision point to Nov 10th.

THE DECEMEBER SEASON 2020 IS ON HOLD , IT IS BEST TO DECIDE ONLY ON NOV 10th 2020 is the key message........
Last edited by rajeshnat on 25 Jul 2020, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Well, the US persidential election may very well bring the end of the world closer!

But covid-19 is currently bringing the end of our world, as we know and love it, in a very real way.
Ranganayaki wrote:The discussion of the wish to have a season is, right now, in this thread, a discussion about our prime event of the year. It is anxiety for the major joy of December being cancelled, our prime entertainment not being there. The festive atmosphere, the sabha hopping, all that.
Of which the season is only the peak. Our music life is dead now; it may well be dead in December; it may well still be dead in February --- if nothing changes. Yes, I'm being pessimistic, worst-case thinking, but sadly all-too-possible
It’s not a discussion about the livelihood of poor musicians.
Actually, I think it is. I think the financial survival of not only musicians but sabhas, of everything that makes Chennai carnatic music happen both in and out of season possible and happening, is all a part of it, even if we are focussing on the season.

I don't know how far ahead organisations must decide. I don't know if sponsorship will be available; if it can be arranged on an if-it-happens basis; I don't know how much cash the larger organisations have to lay out for infrastructure; I don't know the situation of caterers. Then the organisations that do not have their own have to book halls: another whole level of doubt and uncertain income.

Writing all this is depressing. I think I have to stop now. I need to put my head back under the pillow... at least for a while :(

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Nick,
Well said. Agree with you in total.
With wishes.
Thanjavooran
25 07 2020

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nick
Sabhas are of two types. those that have their own hall and those that have to find the hall. For the second it is way too difficult to plan agreed . I can count atleast 15 that have their own halls or marriage halls fixed year on year for life too.They all can make a sincere attempt to try their best to hold concerts . We have to ditch the caterers. There is going to be confusion in pairing accompaniments and also having slots decided upfront , but all that is ok considering the lockdown

I am assuming say some great samaritan like Nalli Chettiar will continue to throw money in a limited fashion as his love for art is far far higher. All this requires a mind set where sabha organizers must look at roses and not thorns. The delayed decision that too post college admission will really be the right time as by then we would all know how cities especially chennai fare . We are expecting roughly 10 lakhs to travel around chennai to write their competitive exam like JEE and NEET and have their college counselling done on Sept 2020 for sure . Post facto travel into chennai , we would know say by Oct if Corona is a far bigger beast or a faded beast

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Ranganayaki wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 12:09 Those are easy solutions, @uday, for what you are talking about. But look at this thread - that is not the thrust, is it? The concern is much sillier.
Of course, no explanations needed :), certainly not such an elaborate one :).

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

I am certainly looking forward to the season with socially distanced paltry audience, and now most sabhas forced to do free/paid web casting. May be they can do the event in hired studio or convert their venues to sort of make shift studio - studio tenting technology available now? Put some glass enclosures - Indian jugad is creative enough! get some sound absorb material rolled in! Hay stack rolled in VEshTis and silk sarees! :lol:

So people like me who have not been in season for quite a while can catch it online? Hope this time at last the performers don't sing to the gallery ;) . Or indeed there is the gallery :D

I saw a dance arangETram come up in youtube, with a performer whose mom and sibling stuck in UK and Dad making arrangements in Chennai - Kalakshetra!

RSR

Post by RSR »

So many important temple festivals of hoary tradition have been skipped this year in Tamilnadu. And let us not deceive ourselves. Covid problem is yet to be tackled effectively. even in the West.

Mortality rate is increasing day-by-day.

After all, we may still be in the brink of war. and terrorism.

Lifting of lock-down is justified only in industries and factories where it is not possible to adopt 'work from home' option. and certainly not for the 'Arts and Entertainment' crowd.

If we closely follow the happenings in Europe , many countries like Sweden and Netherlands who believed in the theory of 'herd immunity' are regretting the decision and reversing their policy.

---------------
The Best thing is just to forget the 'December season-2020'.

By next Aug, some vaccination and cheap cure would have been invented. Let us not be 'Nero'. Even testing for the virus is so costly and treatment costs not less than 50,000 in the minimum.

Fortunately, the young generation may not be much susceptible.. but even that , is a facile assumption.

The CM fraternity in Chennai and other districts can switch over to
paid streaming web-cast strictly on paid basis and catering to the wealthy US diaspora. Ten dollars is a mere nothing for the US Diaspora but in rupee terms ( 750 Rs), there will be no takers here in Tamilnadu even among the middle-class and there are many youngsters with monthly pay of less than 10K. Unemployment is rampant even among the highly qualified.

There have been , I believe, one or two years in the past, when the 'season' was abandoned.

Technology is unstoppable and in a decade , all this 'kutchery' culture will be surely extinct.

'Leave it to Parivaadhin and such Trusts ' with experience in the field and technology to organize and take care of needy musicians, may be the best solution.

devan

Post by devan »

Very well said

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

RSR wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 10:10... The Best thing is just to forget the 'December season-2020'.
Things may change week by week, but the outlook from today says, yes, we should forget concerts and season for the rest of this year.
By next Aug, some vaccination and cheap cure would have been invented. Let us not be 'Nero'. Even testing for the virus is so costly and treatment costs not less than 50,000 in the minimum.
Medicines are costing tens of thousands; private-hospital treatment is costing lakhs.
Fortunately, the young generation may not be much susceptible.. but even that , is a facile assumption.
Whilst the elders have to take more care, the young are also at risk. Even children have died.
The CM fraternity in Chennai and other districts can switch over to
paid streaming web-cast strictly on paid basis and catering to the wealthy US diaspora. Ten dollars is a mere nothing for the US Diaspora but in rupee terms ( 750 Rs), there will be no takers here in Tamilnadu even among the middle-class and there are many youngsters with monthly pay of less than 10K. Unemployment is rampant even among the highly qualified.
I agree on the economic comparison. I have to confess that, so far, I have not made any contribution to any fund. Now, I am thinking, for instance, "My car is idle: that is around 2k a month in fuel not being spent. That's 2k that could certainly go to an appropriate fund, because where do I mostly go? concerts."
There have been , I believe, one or two years in the past, when the 'season' was abandoned.
Interesting: what was the cause?
Technology is unstoppable and in a decade , all this 'kutchery' culture will be surely extinct.
It is unstoppable, and elderly mamas and mamis are completely literate and comfortable with both computers and phones. My first experience of video call was because the phone was handed to me by an octogenarian.

(Off topic: I don't have any patience with youngsters who assume that elders are not comfortable with this technology: it was "elders" that invented it!)
'Leave it to Parivaadhin and such Trusts ' with experience in the field and technology to organize and take care of needy musicians, may be the best solution.
I hate it when we say "someone should," because it means "someone else should." ;) But this is case where most of us would not be able. What existing organisations are working on regular funding of the ordinary artists?

One thing that this disease might bring to an end is our something-for-nothing culture. We (Chennai rasikas) had a good run!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

RSR wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 10:10 There have been , I believe, one or two years in the past, when the 'season' was abandoned.
Nick H wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 17:55 Interesting: what was the cause?
I think RSR Is perhaps crossing with the data that sangeetha kalanidhi was not awarded for few years like Thyagaraja and Dikshitar 300th year. I think apart from academy even during world war 2 we had concerts in other older sabhas in Madras.To the best of my knowledge season was never abandoned ever since it got started from 1920s 1930s.

In the last 20years we had 2 challenges for december season where it came close to being cancelled .One was the Dec 2015 chennai historic flood , the other is Tsunami Dec 2004 .For Tsunami not many people knew the seriousness of devastation that much ,that came a day after christmas , dec26th. Of course no point in comparing Covid with tsunami or floods as Covid is far far more devastating and is contagious to the core.

I am watching JEE exams and NEET Exams which i think is Sept 13,2020 . Lot of crowd is expected to come in to chennai. Then college admissions and counselling to have more crowd in chennai in Sept /Oct . All this is actual Chennai corona stress test .Then comes Nov with a possible early vaccine and i hope sabha decides just only then .

I have personally gone back to a mindset like my early days of listening to live carnatic music of 1980s where maharajapuram santhanam used to sing a submain or main with the usual tani or violin reply . I did lose a bit of patience as i was not accustomed and familiar with this complete package of what a live concert is .But deep down I knew it is worth it because if i wait I will get my sivaranjani/revati/brindavani dec season tukkada from santhanam despite say a kalyani main discomfort :lol: .

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

He is the cheeTu popular man wasn't he? Did you ever participate in that? Any requests in any concert? In one concert , Ayodhya manTapam I think , he made a big kumbidu after a long cheeTu kutcheri! The audience kept passing their chits!

RSR

Post by RSR »

In the interest of thousands of bright students in Tamilnadu, who live outside Chennai , the State Govt should arrange with the authorities who conduct JEEE and other all-important tests, to be conducted on-line so that there need be no massive influx of students into Chennai for taking the exams. No one should need to leave his home district to appear for the exams. The same criteria should be applied for Engg admissions and counselling-admission procedure should be decentralized.
It appears from press-reports that there is increasing surge in Southern Districts. ( Even in USA, it seems that Florida is getting worse than NewYork) .

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

RSR wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 13:40 so that there need be no massive influx of students into Chennai
Massive influx is indeed a bad idea, maybe for them and for Chennai: risk on both sides. Similarly, massive influx for music, particularly international influx, also a bad idea. Question is whether it will be still be a bad idea in December.

Maybe just pessimism, but I think so.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

I hope we are not assuming that the reason to have the December season is for the tourists.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Absolutely not! But they do fill out the numbers.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

The season is for the vakkils to meet up with bureaucrats! And get some photo ops. Musicians are just a sideshow - of course they are in it for their own game - to be in the buzz for their career! As regards tourists - many of them have hosted the touring musicians in their cities when they toured! So it is meet and greet! inniku nAn tourist, anniku nee!

As TMK exasperated , same people turn up concert after concert! talaiyellam naraccirukku (all cotton heads!)

Rest of the local audience is a side show! For us @ rasikas.org it is thread after thread in concert reviews. We have our own show here!

RSR

Post by RSR »

As TMK exasperated

As ',,,,,' said in exasperation/ As an exasperated '......' said.
----------------------------------------

RSR

Post by RSR »

@Nick H
But this is case where most of us would not be able. What existing organisations are working on regular funding of the ordinary artists?
True.

There is already a trust run by a technically qualified , young writer on CM , very well-known in this forum. If he makes an appeal, through rasikas.org and facebook, the details can be shared and there will be quite a large number of both local and foreign donors contributing their mite. Senior Chennai-resident rasikas can form a committee and monitor the work .

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

RSR wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 20:41
As TMK exasperated

English is an evolving language , living breathing one, not issstuck :D in the glory of the past! Discovers verbs as it goes!

RSR

Post by RSR »

a response to query regarding ability to donate for the cause of struggling musicians in Chennai.
it's immensely sad to hear the covid's economic side effects. We must thrive from this as a society. Ten dollars should be affordable to vast majority of Tamil people living in the united states.

For many people who are in Visa, should have a job and this little amount is affordable. Even for citizens, this is very affordable. I can donate more for this cause and try to get some from the Tamil people in Chicago.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

shankarank wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 21:07
RSR wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 20:41
As TMK exasperated
English is an evolving language , living breathing one, not issstuck :D in the glory of the past! Discovers verbs as it goes!
Anything goes in the name of evolution, apparently!

There is a difference between evolution and a mistake. In nature, mistakes usually die out. This will too, and will not catch on, because otherwise, we will be left without a word when we need to say, “You exasperate me!”

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

I actually didn't make it as a mistake! It just came out that way and I actually left it to be! :lol:

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

I actually didn't make it as a mistake! It just came out that way and I actually left it to be! :lol:

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

shankarank wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 09:56 I actually didn't make it as a mistake! It just came out that way and I actually left it to be! :lol:
English is not "an evolving" language. It is a devolving language, changing according to the whim of ignorance. It will always be determined by the lowest common denominator.

The best changes to language are made by the Shakespeares of the world, but they are few. That doesn't mean that us lesser ones have no poetic licence. "As TMK exasperated..." Poetic licence. :D

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

shankarank wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 09:56 I actually didn't make it as a mistake! It just came out that way and I actually left it to be! :lol:
That’s how mistakes happen! They come out wrong and we usually correct ourselves. You chose to think it was a nice new expression and you chose to let it be!

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Oftentimes I would like to catch up a thread quickly and scroll to the last post hoping to read backwards the relevant posts. If the pages have crossed 2, it is likely that I am going to read something else. :D

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Nick H wrote: 04 Dec 2020, 13:07 That doesn't mean that us lesser ones have no poetic licence. "As TMK exasperated..." Poetic licence. :D
I am trying to elevate language to that of a music! You are not even giving it the stature of some "art" :P

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

shankarank wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 10:03... You are not even giving it the stature of some "art" :P
Status of poetry not good enough for you? A song is a poem before it is set to music! :lol:

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Poetry is a literary classification mostly of the West. We have had , kavi/kavya but they have all been rendered to tunes and preserved that way. I don't think "setting to music " characterization applies. Even tamizh works like "seevaka cintAmaNi" - I recently read , were done as recitations with some music and accompanying ritual ceremonies , when SrI U.VE svAminatha Iyer went to collect the manuscript. The SamaNa ( Jains of the south) community preserved it that way.

This literarization is an enterprise of the West, as they employed philological "eye" towards other cultures.

My tamizh teacher used to mock the recitation we did in the Sanskrit class ( almost using a section of ananda bhairavi meTTU - one of the many tunes you can say). Now Samskrta is being recited in many a class, across the world, including the Samskrta bharati movement. Whereas those who want to pursue tamizh are being politicized holding flags, and a sense of victimhood is being thrust on them! They are also under the influence of nefarious forces!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Well, tough... if you sang it, that cannot be told on a forum, so poetry it was, and you'll have to settle for poet!

;) :lol: ;)

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

We give links, recordings - google / amazon are audio now for a while - it is all not text man! Your (figurative you - not you personally) bandwidth is text here - doesn't mean that is all of it out there! We are being accommodative considering the "reader" limitation here!

MunnE pATTai patti pEsinar ( People once were mocked for talking music)! Coming back to topic ;) enna [:cough:] pEcca patti pEccE kANOm ( Ahem! No word on talking music (I mean lec-dem) this season :? ). We want to write about music and now what, write the music itself! ;) .

I guess it may be because all year they were talking music :D

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

ganesh_mourthy wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 08:35 Oftentimes I would like to catch up a thread quickly and scroll to the last post hoping to read backwards the relevant posts. If the pages have crossed 2, it is likely that I am going to read something else. :D
I didn’t even know I had participated in this thread! 😳😂

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

shankarank wrote: 05 Dec 2020, 23:06 We give links, recordings - google / amazon are audio now for a while - it is all not text man! Your (figurative you - not you personally) bandwidth is text here - doesn't mean that is all of it out there! We are being accommodative considering the "reader" limitation here!
Please don't think you are getting poet title for all that! Sorry... just for that TMK exasperated bit.

There's an old thing about monkeys and keyboards and time that flits across my mind. But maybe it would be a bit too rude to quote that :twisted: ;) :twisted: :lol: ;) :twisted:

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Out comes shakespeare - yes that's an old quote I heard from a professor - google years - - by which time life is long gone.

Still I didn't call mine poetic license! So that wouldn't apply! I was seeking just an "artistic" status ;) :P

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Artistic status denied; poetic status granted.

Don't mind it too much. Plainly you have the dedication to spend another few years at the keyboard. That cherished artistic award might yet come!

RSR

Post by RSR »

@shankarank
he is so very particular about musicians mutilating the words in lyrics in kruthis. Why not extend that concern to English sentences also?
Even the Thamizh ( transliterated) does not make much sense. What is he trying to say? is it 'patti' ('vivaadham) or 'patri' or 'about' and the supposed Translation does not bring out the intended idea.

----------------
revverse transliteration
முன்னே பாட்டைப் பற்றி பேசினர்
..என்ன!
பேச்சைப் பற்றி பேச்சை KAAணோம் ?
Last edited by RSR on 08 Dec 2020, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

RSR

Post by RSR »

shankarank is so very particular about musicians mutilating the words in lyrics in kruthis. Why not extend that concern to English sentences also?

in post-86

Even the Thamizh ( transliterated) does not make much sense. What is he trying to say? is it 'patti' ('vivaadham) or 'patri' or 'about' and the supposed translation does not bring out the intended idea.
-----------------------------------
Last edited by RSR on 08 Dec 2020, 12:12, edited 2 times in total.

RSR

Post by RSR »

@shankarank https://sites.google.com/site/wars4rose ... troduction
How do you like the site and page?

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Thank you. It is an easier read from somebody like you to know about Shakespeare than any other material online - which I would not have had patience or inclination to read. It felt like a Sriram Parasuram Hindustani concert recently , which is better on my ear than any professional HM musician. We need to hear everything through our own don't we?

Shakespeare - whom I have completely forgotten even though there was some material in the curriculum and I could not relate or pay attention to the movie that was screened. All of that sounded alien to me. I only remember the grandpas rave about him.

This may not still be much of use to me, but I would share it with my next gen as my father shared a bit about nadasvara vidvans of Meenakshi temple even though he was tone deaf!

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Shanakarank

There you fat fingered. Why do not you admit it ? :lol:

RSR ...ignore Typos or just guess . Or just move on to the next post. You will not miss anything significant. Our dear friend Shankarank will only throw more puzzles when you ask him to explain one.

Shankarank , I told you . My IQ is in single digit and English elementary . Make me inclusive too . I read indian express and not Hindu.

I am telling only you many many times like that only no????

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Actually what I said there was heartfelt, sort of poetic, if you indulge me a bit and intended, not a tinge of sarcasm! To clear the air...

RSR

Post by RSR »

A wonderful article (as usual) by Sriram.V, today about music academy -2020

https://sriramv.wordpress.com/2020/12/0 ... kalanidhi/

@shankarank , @rajeshnat ,
--------------------------------------------------------------
He explains why the usual and traditional lec-dems have been skipped this season.
He traces the history of music academy seasons
He points out that no special session entirely dedicated to Shyama Sastry has been conducted so far. Let us hope that the lapse is set right soon in the coming years. It need not necessarily be centenary of birth and passing away years. Similar festivals can be organized by Musiic academy for Purandara Dasa, Kanaka Dasa, Badrachalam Ramadasa, NaaraayaNa Theerthaa and for Mysore Vasudevacharya and eminent musicologists of early centuries from 1600 AC.

RSR

Post by RSR »

@shankarank
Thanks for the comment on the site 'wars4roses and the introduction page.
The students born after 1990, ( it was a shattering year for good or bad-in national and international planes), need much simplified hand-holding in everything that is valuable in classical music, literature, history and languages. As you mentioned in one of your posts, Samskrutha Bharathy is trying to make it easy for anyone to learn Sanskrit.
We should avoid jargon and try to present the best in simple manner.
If you know Telugu, you can start a blog and cover the nice songs iin Prahaladha Bakthi Vijayam with audio clips for all the 46 songs by musicians of the Golden Decades
-------------------
Your father was not ' born tone-deaf '. He must have been a true rasika,

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

That is a miss for those who cannot make it :x

https://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style ... epage=true

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

So Music Academy - V Sriram has confirmed an overwhelming and warm support by the rasikas. The digital presentation likely will increase personal attendance and not decrease it.

I personally know many who trek all the way to Thiruvaiyaru to feel the energy.

And along with MA, Kalakendra also was well advertised by teachers here locally and I would think there were many who paid into it.

When normal times return, the hospitality industry needs to gear up, to provide a better season experience to visiting rasikas in terms of good food and hygiene. Niche sellers, products can station themselves to provide rental revenue to those with spaces in critical spots. That will help keep price of hospitality down!

Even from far flung areas, it is well neigh impossible to head to a concert and be back.