Nagaswaram Calendar 2019

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
parivadini

Nagaswaram Calendar 2019

Post by parivadini »

In the past few years, I have been trying to do my bit in the area of documentation - particularly about artists that have contributed to this great art of Carnatic music. In the recent past, my area of interest has been Nagaswaram. Recently, my good friend caught hold of some lovely photographs of a few great nagaswaram/thavil artists who didn't get the attention that they deserved. While looking at the pictures, an idea struck us. Why not print a calendar with pictures of 12 such artists with a short profile and follow it up with a longer article through the year.

A short profile of the following artists will be there along with their photo. It is a limited edition product from Parivadini costing INR 100 per piece.

Valangaiman Shanmugasundaram
Sembanarkoil Brothers (SRD Muthukumaraswami and SRD Vaidhyanathan)
Perumpallam Venkatesan
Madurai Ponnuthayi
Thirucherai Muthukumaraswami
Vanidakaratheru Mani/Manpoondiah Pillai
Poraiyar Venugopal
Dharmapuram Govindarajan
Swamimalai Govindaraja Pillai
Thirumagalam Somaskanda Pillai
Kivalur Sinagaravelu Pillai
Pandhanainalloor Dakshinamurthi

In case you are wondering the selection criterion, we have tried to profile artists that are not covered in "Mangala Isai Mannargal" by B.M.Sundaram. We intend to start here and keep documenting as many artists as possible.

If you want to order the calendar, please send a mail to parivadinimusic@gmail.com.

Ananth

Re: Nagaswaram Calendar 2019

Post by Ananth »

When do you commence deliveries?

Is it possible to pick up in person from a convenient place, say the music academy lobby? (I have placed request for three copies)

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

You might remember that in 2019, Parivadini brought out a table top calendar profiling 12 artists from the Nagaswaram and Thavil world.

This year we are bringing out another calendar - this time - in honour of Thavil legend Valangaiman Shanmugasundaram Pillai as a mark of respect during his centenary.

If you would like to have a copy please fill in the details in this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

The cost would be approx. INR 200 per copy + Shipping.

Alternatively, you can email to parivadinimusic@gmail.com . Please mention your address, phone number and the number of copies you would like to order.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Help Parivadini Please it is just 200 + Shipping
--------------------------------------------------
All
I did get the calendar of what Lalitharam has done for parivadini . The effort that he has taken is simply astounding .

How many of us will care for a thavil vidwan , yes valangaiman shanmughasundaram pillai was indeed a legend 50 to 75 years back. But to put a lovely desktop calendar featuring lovely writeups for each month chronicling this artist is one of a kind. The inspiration that you read every month those 10 plus lines month on month would be a great tribute for each of you to contribute to this glorious art CM which indeed is badly hit in 2020

The writeup starts with the mention of the place valangaiman, his stay in ceylon, his accompaniment to greats like TNR to Mandolin Srinivas and few living legends like Shri TNS .The writeup for each month is about 15 lines with a very nice photo of the legend chronicling his achievements, The other side is the actual calendar dates of each month specifying the holidays of that month as a legend

All the money that he is collecting is only going towards he hosting parivadini. Our rasikas community has roughly 9000 registered members , many many are unregistered let me keep it atleast 9000 more . With about 18000 members atleast let us have say 1800 folks paying this would make a huge contribution for parivadini.

I know for sure all these years Lalitharam Ramachandran is paying significantly from his own hard earned money to organize almost 100 plus concerts year on year mostly in chennai and bangalore . He takes utmost pain to rotate all artists in terms of recognizing the merit and more likely identifying talent who have been simply been forgotten at times by many rasikas. He does stream it which has many liking it , quite frankly i am not in that camp of liking free streams.
For heavens sake , yes calendars are slightly out of fashion but the joy of even my parent seeing it and just noting something on each date is lovely. For eg, i kept it near my workplace desk and i just jotted in the beginning of the year for a jan25 family function , these are great little things to just occasionally see and more importantly show patronage to the art

All said i see lalithram as an amalgamation of say Safe Ramabadran AND Nadopasana Sreenvisan and quite frankly in his generation(add even 25 years more) there is NO ONE excepting one most genuine rasika like him doing this yeomen service.

If you would like to have a copy please fill in the details in this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

The cost would be approx. INR 200 per copy + Shipping.

Alternatively, you can email to parivadinimusic@gmail.com . Please mention your address, phone number and the number of copies you would like to order. NRI friends just gift few copies to your family.