Sharing some of my compositions- Feedback welcome :)

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
ramakriya

Sharing some of my compositions- Feedback welcome :)

Post by ramakriya »

Dear Rasikas,

Over the last few years I've tried my hand in composing a few Swarajatis, Varnas and Tillans etc. I may have shared some with the rasikas here too. Now that I have a few good recordings, (thanks to my musician friends) I thought of sharing them here again.

Most of these are used as background music for some of the home videos on YouTube (mostly from Navaratri time - and that tells why I am sharing them now :) )

For me, the learning from Rasikas and other online forums has been immense - and I welcome your thoughts, comments and brickbats :) about the compositions.

1) A swarajati raga Nasamani/Nasikabhushani (My first composition)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7oJ9mRy7t0

2) The first half of a Ragamalika Varna ( Navartri 2012):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBXU5pkDPWk

3) A swarajati in raga Ranjani (Navaratri 2010):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuZCos4fHPI

4) A swarajati in Shuddha saveri (Navartri 2013):

www.youtube.com/embed/6s8ntbm1R9g

5) A swarajati in Saamanta (Navaratri 2014):

http://youtu.be/R67iNBOuNcQ

6) A swarajati in raga Bindumalini:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATRrh-X ... fkUSSuGDCA

-Ramakriya

ramakriya

Re: Sharing some of my compositions- Feedback welcome :)

Post by ramakriya »

Did not see any comments :( - Just posting a comment myself to bring it up in the posts, and get some attention. I really look forward to some feedback from the community.

Ramakriya

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Ramakriya, great work. You have infused a lot of the raga bhava almost continuously in these compositions and even the rare ragas carry a certain measure of familiarity. Congratulations! Hope others more informed than I will provide more in depth impressions. They all sound great.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ramakriya,
I did respond, and was it in another thread? Sachi also had posted there. Can't think of where it is!

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Ramakriya,

Please check your email for my response.

As I told you, I enjoyed the Nasikabhushani much more than the others. It was a beautiful, well=executed piece. I have never heard saamanta before and i liked that one too.

Thank you so much for sharing them.

I asked you if you had lyrics or if they were purely instrumental pieces...

PS: I told you I remember you from some 3 years ago when you posted the notations to your Bindumalini piece.. I tried to imagine the song, it seemed nice.. but my view was quite narrow.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Thanks VK, Arasi ( yes, you did write in the other thread :)) & Ranganayaki.

My yahoo mail locked out, and I can no longer access that email. I would really appreciate if you can resend them to hamsanandi at gmail.com. I will update my forum email today.

Well, all my Varnas have sAhitya (as expected :P) I have about 10 of them. Most of the swarajatis are notes only and for one of them a friend wrote an extremely beautiful sAhitya.

I will post some more sound cloud links in the same thread (whichever look like worth sharing :) )

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Here is another composition - A swarajati in Kamavardhini. Sahitya was added later on, and so this contains swaras only:

https://soundcloud.com/hamsanandi/ramakriya

arunk

Post by arunk »

ramakriya,

Listened to the nasamani/nasikabhushani - excellent! Can you pl. also post notation?

Thanks
Arun

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

My swarajati in Raga "Ramakriya", to go with our Bombe display during Navaratri 2015 :)

Click the YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMpFupZ ... ture=share

The full audio of the composition is available in the "details" section under the video. Sung by Vid Ragini Sanat. Lyrics by Vid Mahesh Bhat.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Vaggeyakaras list ++

shankar vaidyanathan

Post by shankar vaidyanathan »

Sri Ramakriya: Kamavardhini was my choice. You are in a league and class all of your own. You have made us proud!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ramakriya,
Your composition, the lyrics and the singing--all simply lovely!

Your bombe habba (kolu) has returned to us this year in all its visual beauty and fine touches. Thanks to you and yours for the treat :)

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Thanks SrinathK, Shankar Vaidyanathan & Arasi :) It's a pleasure to get compliments from the rasikas here!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ramakriya
Beautiful music composition- and Vid Mahesh Bhat's lyrics are both perfect for the season, and fit the music like a glove! Thank you for sharing.
You should consider getting it choreographed - the patterns would lend themselves perfectly to beautiful footwork and the lyrics would come to life - a dRSya kAvya indeed!

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Thanks RShankar for your good words!

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXgjLvs ... fkUSSuGDCA

And Ramakriya can you give me this with notes . My cousin have been nagging me for sometime. Great work.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Thanks Ganesh_Mourthy - please check your email.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Here is a recording of my composition, a navaragamalika varna, sung by Vidushi Uma Kumar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6wMjn4AEyE

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

It has been a while I visited the forum. Since I am back, thought I will share a few more compositions in the thread. If I remember correctly, my first composition was done back in 2007. So after completing 14 years of "vanavasa", if I check what I have done so far, I have about 50 or so compositions including Varnas, Swarajatis,Kritis, Tillanas and Ragamalikas.

Today I am sharing my varNa in rAga nATakuranji, AditALa, sung by Vidushi Ragini Santh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOIrDp35FGM

-Ramakriya

Ananthakrishna

Post by Ananthakrishna »

Amazing work! @ramakriya

I listened to all the links given on this thread, and your understanding of the ragam, its bhavam and nuances is really excellent. Please do share more of your compositions with us.

A major issue that I find with some modern composers is that, while their sahityam is beautiful the tuning it is set to is a bit jaded and generic, borrowing heavily from other pre-existing compositions by the Trinity and others.

But in your compositions you have struck the right balance, and your music does show us the ragabhavam in all its glory, but does not seem too generic while doing so!

Again, really fantastic work! Please do share the notations with us also. I'd love to learn your compositions.

Ananthakrishna

Post by Ananthakrishna »

Come to think of it, there is no dearth of talent in our Rasika community! There are so many excellent composers and tunesmiths on this forum!! @arasi and @ramakriya come to mind, and I'm sure there are many others!

I do think all of you must compile your compositions and publish them! Your compositions absolutely deserve a larger audience! (I think @arasi has already done this?)

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

@Ananthakrishna Thanks for listening to the links, and to your good words. _/|\_. They mean a lot to me.

I will be very happy to share the notations for any of my compostions for potential learners.

Ananthakrishna

Post by Ananthakrishna »

ramakriya wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 20:43
I will be very happy to share the notations for any of my compostions for potential learners.
Thanks a lot!! @ramakriya
Could you please share the notations of the Kokilarava Swarajathi and Vasanta Geethe? Perhaps also any of the krithis and varnams?

Kindly share the notations if possible with krishna.ananthap@gmail.com

Thanking you again!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ramakriya
Put your name in the vaggeyakkara thread . PUt a master post there detailing all your compositions please. Good to see your post after a long absence.