Chathur raga(4 raga) RTP-a collection of what has been sung

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Narasimha

Re: Chathur raga(4 raga) RTP-a collection of what has been sung

Post by Narasimha »

Sangita Kalanidhi TVG has rendered Ranjani Niranjani Janaranjani Sriranjani Mamava...nice pallavi....very neatly presented....4 raga pallavi

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Narasimha wrote:Sangita Kalanidhi TVG has rendered Ranjani Niranjani Janaranjani Sriranjani Mamava...nice pallavi....very neatly presented....4 raga pallavi
narasimha,
There is ranjani , sriranjani and janaranjani , what is the fourth ranjani ragam that he sang. Did he sing alapana in all 4 ragas, taanam in all 4 ragas, neraval in all 4 and swaras in all 4 ragas. When did you hear and where did you hear ???

varsha

Post by varsha »

3.IIRC, The third person who sang a 4 raga pallavi was
-------->>>>>
https://archive.org/details/08RTPChaturRAgamAlika
AH ! the sweetness of this singer
https://archive.org/details/RTPGauLaRIt ... ChAyAgauLa

Maharajapuram Ramachandran

CRama

Post by CRama »

TNS Krishna sang Ariyakudi's 4 raga pallavi making a slight modification in the Pallavi Durbar in 2013- Sankarabharananai Azhaithodi vaadi Kalyani PALLAVI DARBARUKKU.
Last edited by CRama on 03 Jul 2016, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Gayathri Girish rendered a RTP in ragamalika comprising four ragams in the Ranjani family - Ranjani, Manoranjani, Janaranjani and Sreeranjani was presented with all its grandeur. The raga alapana and tanam were attempted in all the ragams and elaborate swaras presented in all the ragams besides including two more ragams in the swara segment- Mararanjani and Sivaranjani. The pallavi was set to Khanda Mattya talam. This was in the Ragamalika concert held in Swamy's Hall on 10/10/15

CRama

Post by CRama »

I remember Shertally Ranganatha Sarma rendered a Rajanimala pallavi in NGS Mini Hall Pallavi Festival in December 2014.

CRama

Post by CRama »

In the four hour concert in Mudhra in Dec 2014, Saketaraman presented a three raga pallavi Kalyani-Vasantha-Kalyanavasantham with alapana, tanam, neraval, swaras in all the three ragams.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Crama
The pallavi by TNS Krishna is already accounted,check post #19. Saketaraman is three ragas not considered but he has sung another 4 ranjani raga rtp (different from SKR) which is accounted.

6. Gayathri Girish sang 4 raga pallavi which is the same as S Kalyanaraman (Check my first post) . This is the 6th in my count (SKR and GG are counted as the same one.check my first post http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic ... 20#p238088 .

GG sang the same which was reviewed by crama . The relevant portion is shown below.

RTP- Ranjanimala-
Ragams- Ranjani, Manoranjani,Janaranjani, Sreeranjani
Ragamalika swaras- Ranjani, Manoranjani,Janaranjani, Sreeranjani, Mararanjani, Sivaranjani.
Pallavi- Ranjani Niranjani Bhaktha manoranjani
Rasika Janaranjani
Nal Varamarulvay Sreeranjani
Talam-Khanda Matyam.

I am not sure if Shertalai sang 4 ragas , 4 taanams , 4 neraval and 4 swaras all by himself. Some one can confirm if he did all 4 . Keeping it open and not counting till I am sure he has done all four .

CRama

Post by CRama »

I attended that concert and Ranganatha Sarma pesented alapana, neraval,swarams, tanam in all the four Ranjinis. But other details now I don't remember nor have I recorded.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote:I attended that concert and Ranganatha Sarma pesented alapana, neraval,swarams, tanam in all the four Ranjinis. But other details now I don't remember nor have I recorded.
Did he sing the same pallavi that SKR created which GG also sang??If yes then it goes to the same count.

Narasimha

Post by Narasimha »

Further to the note:
There is ranjani , sriranjani and janaranjani , what is the fourth ranjani ragam that he sang. Did he sing alapana in all 4 ragas, taanam in all 4 ragas, neraval in all 4 and swaras in all 4 ragas. When did you hear and where did you hear ???
:

Niranjani is one more Ranjani in that, am not very sure of this ragam, vaguely remember TVG announcing that this ragam is somewhat close to Kalyani or some swarams close to Kalyani.....I had heard this is Bangalore Concert and in MA lecdem....

CRama

Post by CRama »

Gayathri Girish sang one more four raga Ranjanimala pallavi in Music Academy in 2014. The pallavi was Ranjani Sriranjani Megharanjani Mam pahi Janaranjani. It was in Khanda Triputa talam with alapana, tanam, neraval, swaras in all the four ragams.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

The four raga RTP "sankarAbharaNanai azhaithOi vAdi kalyANI darbhArukku" cited by Varsha in post #53 is by Aleppey Venkatesan, the one I had referred to in post # 48, rendered originally by Ariyakkudi, followed by his disciples KVN and Aleppey Venkatesan.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sundara Rajan wrote:The four raga RTP "sankarAbharaNanai azhaithOi vAdi kalyANI darbhArukku".
A beautiful pallavi no doubt, but always makes me wonder why anyone would want a snake (SankarAbharaNan) brought to the darbAr, even if lead by kalyANi or anyone else for that matter!

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

why anyone would want a snake (SankarAbharaNan) brought to the darbAr
There was probably a Caucasian dorai in the darbar who wanted to see a snake-snakecharmer scene.

The moon too, could be sankarAbharanan.

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

"Shankaraabharananai" , is verily Nada Brahman, Shankara ParaBrahman. Pallavi in celebration of Nada Brahman in celestial darbar!

munirao2001

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Varsha
The first pallavi singer is alleppey venkatesan and is the same pallavi is the same as his guru ariyakudis pallavi . Already counted.

The second gaula is I think by RK Padmanabha(not sure). He has sung the pallavi in only 3 gowlais (gowlai, reethigowlai and kedaragowlai) and also the pallavi neraval is also in 3 ragas . The pallavi line is gowla ritigowla kEdaragowla priyagaram and in both ragam and neraval there is no 4th raga chAyagowlai. As such RK Padmanabha does not qualify in this chathur raga rtp.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

All words may not have the etymological meaning in usage. Here, Sankarabharanan stands for Siva himself. It may neither be snake, nor moon, nor Ganga. It is a sort of poetic licence to get the name of raga in the pallavi.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Way back in this thread, I did mention VVSadagopan's catur rAga pallavi (mOhanam, vasantA, malayamArutam, Anandabhairavi) and you had asked if a recording was available. A pity, it's not. When his centenary was celebrated over three days last year, Sumitra Nitin gave a concert in his honor on the last day at Raga Sudha hall. was very keen about her singing this pallavi along with VVS's other compositions and a few songs he set tune to from kamba rAmAyaNam, bhArathi and the ones of Ambujam Krishna.

I don't have it here with me. May I request Aravind Brahmakal to kindly post it if he can get it from Ssumitra? She's his daughter's guru and he might be able to get it from her :)
Last edited by arasi on 08 Jul 2016, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

sankarAbharaNanai azhaithOi vAdi kalyANI darbhArukku has been sung by Ariyakudi, KVN, Alleppey Venkatesan, TNS (in his SK concert), SGC and TMK. Prof TNK has also played in violin Are there any more musicians who have sung this pallavi ? If sung did they sing in total the ragam , taanam ,neraval and swaras of all four ragas. If you know any one else please mention their name and recollect where you have heard?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

arasi wrote:Rajesh,
Way back in this thread, I did mention VVSadagopan's catur rAga pallavi (mOhanam, vasantA, malayamArutam, Anandabhairavi) and you had asked if a recording was available. A pity, it's not. When his centenary was celebrated over three days last year, Sumitra Nitin gave a concert in his honor on the last day at Raga Sudha hall. was very keen about her singing this pallavi
Arasi
Yes I was also there in ragasudha when sumitra sang .This pallavi is counted being sung by VV Sadagopan and after roughly 50 years Sumitra Nitin sang the same pallavi.

RTP in quad four ragas in adi thalam
mohana velai idE vasanta kalamidE malayamArutham veesum Anandabhairavi arulum - VV sadagopan and sumitra nitin have sung this pallavi.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Of course, you were there! I wasn't sure if you heard all of the pallavi, though. Let's see if we can get hold of it...

bala747

Post by bala747 »

Who on earth is Abhishek?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

bala747 wrote:Who on earth is Abhishek?
Begs the counter question, "where on earth have you been living?" LOL

arasi

Post by arasi »

All the same, good to hear from you Bala :) Still in Singapore, I guess...

bala747

Post by bala747 »

Yes. I found out later that Abhishek was Abhishek Raghuram.

I remember hearing him once. Terrible, terrible musician. He is to music what a contortionist is to dance. Didn't think he would still be performing hence didn't recall the name immediately but yeah, I have heard of him.

Yes I am still here in Singapore. Father of two girls now. But these days prefer to listen from my collection rather than spend 20-50 dollars to listen to yet another hackneyed Chakkaniraja.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

We have roughly entry no 18 for the chathur raga - 4 raga collection.
REmember there should be four ragas, four taanam , four neraval and four swaras. No outsourcing to violin
The 18th entry happened in year 2017

18. Sankaran Namboodhiri sang on Jan 01st,2017 in the 4 hour concert in mudhra. Kudos to vidwan sankaran nambhoothiri.

Four raga RTP- Ranjani,Mohanam,Poorvikalyani,Saranga
Pallavi-Ranjani Niranjani Mohana taragatri Karunapuritanaye Sarangapani Devi
Khanda Triputa talam 2 kalai
Crama wrote :
The pallavi- with elaborate alapana, tanam, neraval and swarams in all the four ragams was a real treat. All the alapanas were detailed- only Saranga was slightly lesser duration. The alapana itself took 30 minutes. Tanam was supported by Mridangam. The entire pallavi excluding tani took one hour and ten minutes. Swaras were rendered at various eduppus and the final korvai included all the four ragams.

Incidentally is he the first musician to sing 4 taanams with mrudangam in the history of CM . Crama did he sing taanam with mrudangam in all 4 ragas or was it just a part of it where mrudangam accompaniment was there for taanam.

CRama

Post by CRama »

The entire tanam was to the accompaniment of Mridangam and Ghatam.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

I don't know if this would qualify I have heard in 2003 on Dec 25th - Mandolin Srinivas render RTP in the five Ghana Ragas. It was a real experience and how I cherish that!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

parivadini wrote:I don't know if this would qualify I have heard in 2003 on Dec 25th - Mandolin Srinivas render RTP in the five Ghana Ragas. It was a real experience and how I cherish that!
Parivadini,
Did he play in all 4 or 5 ragas the alapana, taanam , neraval and swaras . If you have recording just listen again and let me know . I am not counting it .

By the way there was another 5 raga pallavi that mandolin srinivas played that was suggested . I did not count it as I was not sure if he played neraval and swaras for all those ragas . Also GRS explicitly mentions that he played taanam in only 3. Check this viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20608

I am waiting on your 2003 mandolin data if the mandolin genius indeed played all 4 parts in all 4 or 5 ragas.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

He did play raga, tana in all five ragas. The pallavi line had all five ragas contained in it. He played neraval for the pallavi and did play swaras in all five ragas.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Unfortunately, I don't have a recording. But I'm 100% sure as what he played is etched in my memory forever. He played an out of the world Kalyani as main that day.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

parivadini wrote:He did play raga, tana in all five ragas. The pallavi line had all five ragas contained in it. He played neraval for the pallavi and did play swaras in all five ragas.
I trust you is that lalitha ram or another founder of parivadhini who is writing this post . Was the concert in Mylapore Fine arts. May be some one surely reviewed it in sangeetham.com then, Any way that history is purposely purged.

19. RTP In 5 Ghana pancharathna ragas by Mandolin Srinivas@Dec25, 2003 season in 5 ragas where we had 5 ragas , 5 taanam, 5 neraval and 5 swaras. Who else can be that other than late maestro mandolin Srinivas who was always blessed by his ishta devata Jai Hanuman.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Rajesh - This is lalitharam.

Of course it goes without saying that Dec 25th means the venue is MFAC. I tried not to miss him play at this venue and on Jan 1st at Kalarasana (and if possible Dec 23rd at the academy too).

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

rajeshnat wrote:
May be some one surely reviewed it in sangeetham.com then, Any way that history is purposely purged.
I may have some notes. Let me see if I can dig them up.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

parivadini wrote:
rajeshnat wrote:
May be some one surely reviewed it in sangeetham.com then, Any way that history is purposely purged.
I may have some notes. Let me see if I can dig them up.
Please put it as an appended post in mandolin srinivas vidwans and vidushi thread ? that way it stays for more time immortal . Not here please??

CRama

Post by CRama »

Lalitaram, By any chance do you remember the sahithyam of the pallavi. Did USrinivas sing the pallavi.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

CRama wrote:Lalitaram, By any chance do you remember the sahithyam of the pallavi. Did USrinivas sing the pallavi.
He did "read out" the pallavi. If I remember right the pallavi didn't have any raga mudra. If I remember right it was in Khanda Triputa, 2 kalai, sama eduppu. Unfortunately I can't recollect more.

I tried to see my notes. I could only locate some notes on the concert on Dec 23rd at Music Academy. He had played Urmika and Thodi RTP. Unfortunately I have lost the notes on this concert.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

I haven't checked it out in detail not have i looked at previous posts to see if this has been already covered. Posting it here - nevertheless - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42qdTHZ ... e=youtu.be

CRama

Post by CRama »

Parivadini, Just enjoying the four raga pallavi by Raji Gopalakrishnan. I have not heard this earlier. Very scholarly and aesthetic presentation. Thanks for the link.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Raji Gopalakrishnan has sung this another raga RTP.(courtesy Post #88 by parivadini)

RAgam TAnam Pallavi (Bhairavi/ natabhairavi/ vasanthaBhairavi/ anandabhairavi)
Pallavi Line ----------->>>>>>> Bhairavi natabhairavi vasantha bhairavi sadA aruL Anandabhairavi

She has sung 4 ragas, 4 taanams ,4 neravals and 4+2 swaras. She qualifies in 4 x 4 x 4 x 6 raga. The pallavi lines whenever she touches those 4 ragas she takes those phrases in that raga. Then she also rotates with the full line and takes each of the raga in neraval. Kind of learning , unlearning and relearning happens there in kutcheri. Then the swaras in natabhairavi vasanthabhairavi and anandabhairavi (3 bhairavis), then there were swaras in salakabhairavi,sindhubhairavi and then the bhairavi to make it 6 swaras. She only sings and no giving to violin .

Incidentally she has sung another 4 ragam RTP. Refer my post #49 in this thread. Kudos to this extraordinary vidushi Raji. So this is enumerated in my count .

19. Raji Gopalakrishnan sings 4 X 4 X 4 X4 RAgam TAnam Pallavi (Bhairavi/ natabhairavi/ vasanthaBhairavi/ anandabhairavi)
Pallavi: Bhairavi natabhairavi vasantha bhairavi sadA aruL Anandabhairavi

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

So we have after a long time another 4 raga chatur pallavi(4 Ragas AND 4 Taanam AND 4 neraval and 4 swaras)

20. Sudha Ragunathan taking up 4 ragas in suddha dhanyasi , karna ranjani , subha pantuvarali and begada. in academy - dec 2017
Pallavi : Narayana Namo Narayana Sri Sathyanarayana Anudinamum Karumaiya - Suddha Dhanyasi, Karna Ranjani, Shubha Pantuvarali, Begada - Misra Jhampa in Kanda Nadai - RTP.
Sudha also did a brief grahabedham to gruha bedham and while singing swaram where she touched upon Mohanam, Hindolam, Sudha Saveri and Madhyamavati . The RTP was for 40 minutes.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Pallavi probably was 'anudinamum kAvumaiyA' (not karumaiya)....

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Now we have the 21st chathur 4 raga

21. RTP in sapta ragas ,sapta thalas and sapta swaras sung by SakethaRaman in Pallavi Darbar 2018
# Raaga alapanas handled in alapana are SimmhendraMadhyamam (Main Anchor) + Poornashadjam + Rishabapriya + Devagandhari
# Taanam in Simmhendramadhyamam + LalithaPanchamam + Dhaivathangi + Neethimathi(nishadam in Dikshitar Asampoorna sampradayam)
# Swaras in sapta neraval and sapta swaras - Poornashadjam(For shadjam) + Rishabapriya(For Rishabham) + devagandhari (For gandharam) + simmhendra madhyamam (for madhyamam) + LalithaPanchamam (For Panchamam) + dhaivathangi (For Dhaivatam) + Neethimathi (For Nishadam) and he also adds karnataka devagandhari + madhyamavati for swaras to take it to 9 count in swaras

Saptaswara Sundarula Bhajimpavae Manasa is the pallavi line .

Sapta talam Eka + Roopakam + jhampa+ triputa + ata + dhruva + mata talams

In my enumeration , the main artist has to sing 4 or more of each in raga ,taanam ,neraval and swaras . Saketharaman has sung 4 ragas , 4 taanam and has sung 7 neraval and 9 swaras in addition 7 talas. Kudos to saketharaman and also his wife Dr Vidya for giving so much concept and muse.
This is 4 × 4 × 7 x 9 Rtp and more More importantly no relaying to violinist either part of alapana or taanam or neraval or swaras

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

In 2019- Dec season we have the 22nd to start with:

22. Sudha Ragunathan@Mudhra on Dec 14th,2019
• RTP- six Pentatonic ragams - Hamsadhwani. Aabhogi, Madhyamaavaty,Sunaadavinodini. Mohanam, Revati.
• Talam- Mishra Triputa- 2 kalai

The pallavi sahithyam is difficult to explain. It is simply the arohanam avarohanam of all the ragams. One example I am giving below.

Sarii sarigaa sarigapaa sarigapanii sarigapanisaa Hamsadhwani ragam enpadu. Similarly it was sung for all the other ragams

This is a 6 x 6 x 6 x 6 RTP sung for 50 minutes .

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Ramakrishnan Murthy sang the chatur rAgamAlika pallavi (shankarAbharaNam, tODi, kalyANi, darbAr) at BGS a few days back. khanDa tripuTa 2 kalai +1 1/2 eDuppu IIRC)

tmmurali

Post by tmmurali »

rajeshnat wrote: 04 Jan 2017, 12:02
By the way there was another 5 raga pallavi that mandolin srinivas played that was suggested . I did not count it as I was not sure if he played neraval and swaras for all those ragas . Also GRS explicitly mentions that he played taanam in only 3. Check this viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20608
A recording of this concert has recently appeared on Prakashrao Narayanan's channel on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAEzeVbLN3A

Listening to it from 1:32:38 onwards, he has played all five ragams in the thanam in reverse order, viz, Tanarupi, Abheri, Vasantha, Bhavapriya, Shankarabharanam, and then fleetingly played them in the original order. He plays all ragams in the pallavi and swarams as well. @rajeshnat, this RTP seems to fit your criteria.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

24.Mandolin srinivas plays pancha ragamalika in Dec 23rd ,2012
Venue : Music Academy
Artists : Mandolin Srinivas- VV SrinivasaRao- Srimushnam RajaRao-Selvaganesh

The ragas are shankarabharanam - bhavapriya - vasantha - abheri -tanarupi
The pallavi line is Tirumalayil karuNaikkadalai irukkinRai , kadaikann paarvai enakku arula
Talam :kanda JAti truputa

The genius indeed plays all 5 ragas , all 5 taanam, all 5 pallavi neraval line and all 5 swaras. I heard it now yes.

Mandolinist is not passing anything to the violinist.This particular concert was reviewed by GRS . He explicitly mentioned that only 3 in taanam was sung . That was factually incorrect. Now it is corrected, thanks to TMMurali

Also in addition to this , Lalitharam has heard 5 ghana pancha ratna raga pallavi of the same Mandolin Srinivas , That also i have added as distinct count. This alone is not validated fully but Lalitharam says he heard all 4 X4 X4 X4.

So far this is 24th distinct 4 x 4 x4 x4 RTP . Incidentally the late genius made it as 5x 5 x5 x5.

The previous post of RKM(#96) singing the famous shankarabharanai azhai todi is not counted as distinct . He joins
Ariyakudi, KVN ,TNS, SGC etc in singing the most famous chathur raga 4 raga RTP .

So our distinct count is at 24, right now with Mandolin Srinivas(shankarabharanam - bhavapriya - vasantha - abheri -tanarupi).

RaghuPS

Post by RaghuPS »

I remember Abhishek Raghuram singing a 4 raga RTP in Toronto. one of the ragams was Rasikapriya. It was several years ago. any office bearers of Bharati Kala Manram or even Mahavishnu perhaps can give more details, my memory is somewhat hazy !

RaghuPS

Post by RaghuPS »

the concert referred to in my post above has been reviewed in Rasikas. May 2012 !