Good looking Carnatic Musicians-your choice?

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
arasi

Post by arasi »

Meena, you are right. And Ramakriya put it beautifully. Would we rather have a model (after our own hearts) musician to look at, than someone who delivers the goods (beautiful music)? Also, one's style of dressing and grooming is none of our business. We discussed old timers , and that's different. Let our vidwans and vidushis dress in their own style. After the initial reaction to the gold in their sarees and around their necks, their hairstyles and attire, we tend to switch off and start listening to them...

mohan

Post by mohan »

Meena and others this is just a light-hearted discussion. No one is really being serious here!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

arasi wrote:Meena, you are right. And Ramakriya put it beautifully. Would we rather have a model (after our own hearts) musician to look at, than someone who delivers the goods (beautiful music)? Also, one's style of dressing and grooming is none of our business. We discussed old timers , and that's different. Let our vidwans and vidushis dress in their own style. After the initial reaction to the gold in their sarees and around their necks, their hairstyles and attire, we tend to switch off and start listening to them...
Who cares about SarIram...give us beautiful, Sruti aligned SArIrams...that's all we ask, right?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Oui. mon ami...

peanutbutter

Post by peanutbutter »

What about Mahathi, K Gayathri, Nisha Rajagopal? How come no mention of them thus far?

I dont particularly think all three are necessarily anything to write home about, but I have definitely heard people in the CM community talk about them when it comes to "goodlooking" musicians.

Although I somewhat agree with those of you who have said one should not look at the artist's looks and should just listen to their music, looks are definitely an important thing in society today (fortunately or unfortunately).

Moreover, artists themselves definitely seem to think appearances are an important part of concert presentation. Examples seen on artists whose names I wont mention: streaked/colored/highlighted/feathered hair, perfectly shaped facial hair, expensive/bright saris, abundance of make-up/jewellery, flamboyant kurthas (sometimes only worn for the more "special" concerts, ie Music Academy), kurthas made out of shawls, wearing a shawl AND angavasthram at the same time, etc etc.

I don't think the intention of this thread was to point out those who do NOT look good, but merely to comment on those who we think DO. Commenting on others, especially their superficial aspects, is what we as [bored] humans do best.
Last edited by peanutbutter on 10 Feb 2007, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

sangeetarasikan

Post by sangeetarasikan »

Peanutbutter, good point. Nothing wrong with putting in writing what we anyway discuss in drawing rooms!

Btw, I haven't seen Mahati or K Gayathri, but Nisha Rajagopal is definitely one of the well-maintained artistes in the younger crop. Another good example that comes to my mind is Kiranavali.

peanutbutter

Post by peanutbutter »

Kiranavali is definitely in a different age bracket than the other three.

There is also one other major difference, the other three mentioned are not yet married!

vijay

Post by vijay »

arasi wrote:Ha, Vijay! I see you surface. Where were you? :)
Been very much around in the forum, Arasi - although I got back to Chennai only yesterday...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Perhaps we should stop gloating on ephemeral external beauty and focus on inner beauty
That comes from knowledge, humility, tranqulity and compassion. I am reminded of the famous naalaDiyaar
kunjiyazhakum koDunthaanaikOTTazhakum
manjaLazhakum azhakalla--- nenjaththu
nallam yaam ennu naDuvunilamaiyaal
kalvi azhakE azhaku

I leave the colourful translation to mahakavi/shankar/arasi/..
But this is what I have to say
http://rapidshare.com/files/16035302/Kunjiyazhakum.mp3

In that spirit Somu carries the day as do MDR and CVB and of course include MS and DKP...
(incidentally all these above have a lovely 'kunji' :)

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Well, cmlover has put the onus on three of us. He is good at giving assignments (typical of a teacher). One of us has to deliver. So here is a rough translation:

nAlaDiyAr is one of the sangam literature pieces (part of the anthology known as padineNkIzhkaNakku) wherein each verse is a quatrain, dispensing wisdom similar to that found in tirukkuRaL.

The crucial words:

kunji = face (overall)
tAnai = dress
manjaL = usually means turmeric or yellow color(here it means complexion)
kalvi = education

The gist is: Beauty does not consist of that pertaining to the face (of the person) or even the dress that one wears or the highly desirable complexion (yellow?). One has to be good at heart and that comes through proper education (not necessarily formal). If one possesses superior education that is a hallmark of beauty.

There is a famous proverb in Thamizh:
"agattin azhagu mugattil teriyum" (The inner beauty will get manifested on the face)
The inner beauty is a sum total of all the good qualities one possesses. Eleanor Roosevelt (wife of US President Franklin Roosevelt) said once, "Beautiful young people are the accidents of nature;beautiful old people are works of art". There you go!
Last edited by mahakavi on 12 Feb 2007, 03:55, edited 1 time in total.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Incidentally, "kunjci" also means kuDumi (tuft). There was a discussion earlier about the tuft of some of the musicians who sported a kuDumi. So a kuDumi (on men), whether thick and shiny or a sparse frontal hanging one (a la sOzhiyan kuDumi) is not something that can be an asset in the beauty department according to the nAlaDiyAr quatrain. I was thinking of cultivating one (instead of a beard) but now I have to abandon it. cmlover, you are a spoilsport!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks sub and for that nice quote from FDR (first lady).
kunji also means tuft of hair 'kuDumi' Hence could refer to the beauty of the hair
koDunthAnai kOTTu could refer to the koDuntha = from the koDu naaDu, which is forest land where the Tamizh spoken was known as koDunthamizh + Anai = of the elephant, kOTTu = of the tusk
The whole will mean the nice ornaments made of the ivory from the tusk of the forest elephant
ma~njaL of course refers to turmeric applied externally to the face.
All these are the equipments of external beauty....

I am sure naalaDiyaar which is a jainist document predates kuRaL...

rajaglan

Post by rajaglan »

Hi all,

Assuming that this kind of analysis is not offending to any artist. But I havenot seen some artists. Some only in photos.

Absolute Good looking people:
1. Young ladies : Nisha Rajagopal
2. Young men : Vijaygopal, Giridhar Udupa, Trichur brothers, Swarna Rethas and Embar kannan.

But looks like many people are confusing great looks and and how the artists carry their personality. I feel the latter is more interesting to discuss. My feeling is that everybody has good looks in their own way. In terms of how they carry their personality relates to how they dress and present themselves before audience. My idea is that dressing involves

1. cloths,
2. hairstyle
3. jewels

should be simple but at the same time look majestic. Lavishness and higher degree of richness in jewels and cloths should be avoided. Assuming this, my alltime fav are

1. MSS (the best ever),
2. TMK
3. Soumya.

I think Amjad Ali khan is my alltime fav in guys if we can include him.
Last edited by rajaglan on 12 Feb 2007, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

sangeetarasikan

Post by sangeetarasikan »

peanutbutter wrote:Kiranavali is definitely in a different age bracket than the other three.

There is also one other major difference, the other three mentioned are not yet married!
Peanutbutter, I don't see that we are only discussing people of a certain age! I have seen Kiranavali at close quarters and she is definitely young. You aren't implying that marriage makes people instantly old, are you?

Your attempt to bring positive attention to the unmarried, beautiful, 'young' women is however commendable. With that I think I'll have ended my 2 cents to this thread as it is clear that inner beauty rules and rightly so!

peanutbutter

Post by peanutbutter »

Sangeetarasikan,

Sorry thats not what I meant at all. I was just saying that because you had mentioned her name after mentioning the three people I had commented on. I didnt mean we should discuss only people of a certain age, merely that if it were to be discussed, I'd divide the people by age groups. In which case, Kiranavali is not of the same age group by any means. And people dont become "instantly" old when they are married, but I'm assuming they are of a certain age to have gotten married. I believe she has been married for some time now also, not just one or two years.

Inner beauty is important, but not everyone can comment on it unless they know a person well. However it is entirely possible to comment on one's looks, if you've just seen them even from a distance...

Having said that, anyone else want to focus on the unmarried, beautiful "young" women/men??? I feel this thread is lacking a real deep discussion into the young and attractive, aside from a few interesting posts/opinions.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear Rasikas
In the interest of keeping our Forum clean which is primarily devoted to CM and Arts we should refrain from discussing marital status, medical problems etc of living artistes which are highly personal and sensitive. Please exercise your judgement in maintaining the decorum of this precious site. Thanks

peanutbutter

Post by peanutbutter »

Its very clean... too clean.

Prativaadi Bhayankaram

Post by Prativaadi Bhayankaram »

Among the yesteryears artists the following are the nominees -
Male - GNB
Female - N C Vasantakokilam and MS amma of course
Among the current generation artists these are my nominees -
Male - Ganesh and Kumaresh, KN Shashikiran, Unnikrishnan
Female - Gayatri Venkatraghavan, Mahanadi Shobhana and the Mambalam sisters
:)
Cheers
PB

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

what about prativatibayankaram annarangachariar? he used to look like a lion!

sivapriya

Post by sivapriya »

Good looking musicians -my choice

Among the youngsters - Sikkil Gurucharan, TM Krishna, TNS Krishna, KV Gopalakrishnan,RKShriramkumar
Among the seniors - Nedunuri, TN Seshagopalan, S.Rajam
R.Vedavalli and D.K.Pattamal both for their clear, serene looks.

mahesh33

Post by mahesh33 »

GNB....but ofcourse. Godly in his bearing....he seems to have been, judging from his pics.

Mangalampalli BMK...he knows he is a charmer even as he glides on stage...

Semmangudi IyervAl always reminded me of a lion on the prowl.....he would sit on the stage with matchless authority.

Among the women, MS....for her divine poise. I will let her pic speak for itself.

MLV for her nectarine voice. DKP, always smiling. Exemplary...feminine grace at its height.

Among the current musicians, I think TMK has a lot of gambeeram when he comes on stage, an uncanny resemblance to Manoj Night Shymalan. Ranjani and Gayathri are eye catching...Ranjani particularly looks very good....along with the lush sarees the sisters wear, the expressions on Ranjani's eyes used to make my buddies from Indiana go "wow" when they saw her pic on my desktop...:)!
Last edited by mahesh33 on 30 May 2007, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

sivapriya

Post by sivapriya »

Goodlooking musicians...., for their really good looks an very dignified presence on stage.
Two people if forgot on the list - Embar Kannan and Unnikrishnan

arasi

Post by arasi »

Judging from all the posts, beauty is in the eye of the beholder--and, is colored by one's idea about the quality of the artiste's performance...

thamizhisai_paithiyam

Post by thamizhisai_paithiyam »

is there a companion thread on the most watchable konashtai_maker during a concert? i have seen some old clips of m.d.r. legend has it that he used to scare kids away during concerts. of the contemporary set, sanjay (my favorite contemporary vocalist, btw) is a strong competitor to m.d.r.

arasi

Post by arasi »

While extreme konashTais (gestures) can distract slightly or amuse you in some cases, it is not any worse than members of the audience turning their heads away from the performance to pay attention to every new (late) entrant to the hall. If we get that serious about gestures being part of artistic expression and even choose not to go to such performances, iamgine, in later years we would blame ourselves no end for missing out on some great music like that of MDR!

fortheloveofmusic

Post by fortheloveofmusic »

I think Embar S Kannan, the violinist (Kanyakmari's student) looks really good!

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

almost all the hindustani musicians seem to be good looking with their colour , green or blue eyes, personality etc according to me AmjadAliKhan and his sons are very handsome. in hind sight, according to the Creator all are beautiful. afterall we areHis children how is it that all the Pune based women artists are having green or blue eyes ? gobilalitha

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

I am sorry that I HAVE POSTED ABOUT HM , WHILE THE SUBJECT RELATES TO CM GOBILALITHA

fortheloveofmusic

can someone tell me if embar kannan's married or not?

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

how is it that all the Pune based women artists are having green or blue eyes ?
Do they? Really? I thought blue or green eyes are rare in India. ( Geneticaly, brown alleles are dominant over blue or green alleles and so in an Indian population carrying mainly brown alleles for eye color, I would expect only a very small % of those other eye colors ).

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

fortheloveofmusic.........sorry mate ...Kannan is taken. :(

fortheloveofmusic

oh! dear!!.........how old is he, btw? & when did he get married?

fortheloveofmusic

neways, thanks, Sam Swaminathan for the info!......heartbreakin' though!.....

vijay

Post by vijay »

VK - Konkanashta/Chitpavan Brahmins from Maharashtra are known to have some features otherwise uncommon in India - especially green/blue eyes. Ajit Agarkar is an example that comes to mind immediately. Among south Indians, certain communities like Coorgis/Kodavas also have such features. They believe their ancestry to be linked to the Greek invasions into India in circa 300 BC....

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

fortheloveofmusic wrote:neways, thanks, Sam Swaminathan for the info!......heartbreakin' though!.....
Now I understand why Embar Kannan has that peculiar style of never lifting up his head in a concert .
:P
And on the few occasions he does so, looks like the only chap around who can blush to the point of going crimson !!

:D

fortheloveofmusic

unfotunately...i have'nt seen him go crimson, live...! i've only seen him on TV!!....:-(

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

vijay wrote:VK - Konkanashta/Chitpavan Brahmins from Maharashtra are known to have some features otherwise uncommon in India - especially green/blue eyes. Ajit Agarkar is an example that comes to mind immediately. Among south Indians, certain communities like Coorgis/Kodavas also have such features. They believe their ancestry to be linked to the Greek invasions into India in circa 300 BC....
Thanks Vijay. I guess once that trait got into the genetic pool due to whatever reason it never left since people do not marry outside the community. The chance of the blue/green getting into the pool is itself very small given the dominant nature of brown allele. Normally a child born to a blue/green eyed parent and brown eyed parent has a very high probability of having brown eyes. Quite fascinating.

The greek invasion theory is worth thinking about even though I do not think Alexander went too far south of Punjab. Do Arabs/middle easterners have blue/green eyes? Asking because, the western coast of India faces towards the Arabian region with only the ocean between them and there have been a lot of sea based commerce between the western coast of India and Arabia for quite a long time.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

A number of 'konkinis' in Kerala havee blue eyes. It is said that it was due to the portugese connection!
as do also a number of ismalia muslims!

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

How is it that nobody has thought of kasturirangan, disciple of TNSin this regard? he is a very handsome person, tall ,majestic . and very goodlooking, it is apity that he is not in the limelight, due to the neglect of the self conceited big sabha secretaries, gobilalitha

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Embar is a delightful character, full of charm and impeccable manners. I have had pleasure of hosting him at my house here when he came to nz to accompany Sudha. Checked out my violin and borrowed by bow to play in the concert. Said it was too good and well balanced. Returned from the concert at around 10.00pm and after having dinner, both of us had good violin session lasting till about 4.00am in the morning. Had a cup of coffee and went off to the airport to catch a flight to Sydney. Enjoyed every bit of his company and learnt quite a bit too. Embar is married to a very learned young lady and they are blessed with a beautiful child. May God bless them.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

cmlover wrote:Dear Rasikas
In the interest of keeping our Forum clean which is primarily devoted to CM and Arts we should refrain from discussing marital status, medical problems etc of living artistes which are highly personal and sensitive. Please exercise your judgement in maintaining the decorum of this precious site. Thanks
Too many personal details are being discussed in this thread as cmlover puts in correctly. Why can not a thought be given b4 posting such vamboos. Let us also not talk about yester years vidwans .

peanutbutter

Post by peanutbutter »

Isn't a message board a public forum for any topic to be discussed? Maybe it is in bad taste for people to post some information, but they have every right to do so.

They may be idiots for it, but the world is full of such people and there is unfortunately nothing we can do about that!

fortheloveofmusic

this site will never get unclean. Atleast not because of a discussion on marital status.
I am writing this 'coz I at one point spoke abt Embar Kannan.
My explanation -
I was genuinely interested in knowing just his marital status & not for the sake of vombu or nething. I was totally bowled over by his violin skills and wanted to learn from him. This grew upto the level of wanting to be by his side every minute he played violin, & more so when my parents started looking out for me. I always wanted to marry someone who's totally into music & he was someone i had always dreamed about & he was an iyengar too! i silently prayed that it happened.
Since the right time came for me to actually think abt it , i did so. i started by asking abt him, here in this forum, where i knew i wud get an answer & also i saw casual discussions abt looks of musicians. I found out that he was married & almost immediately ended my thoughts.I knew I was a bit too late!

But my love for violin lives & never too late to learn from a person like him. I now go back to teh stage where i wanted to be his student & by God's grace i shud be able to do so.

And just one more thing, ppl dont need to be 'idiots' to be making some genuine enquiries. This is a promise that there wont be ne such posts frm my side ,ne further. pls dont feel unfortunate.

sorry for everything.

cienu

Post by cienu »

fortheloveofmusic ,

You do not have to feel sorry for what was truly an absolutely lovely and innocent post ! Different views expressed by rasikas is what makes this Forum so interesting. If all of us are the same and on the same wavelength then it would be dull and dreary.And I can surely say that this thread for all the tidbits of information has not degenerated into anything vulgar which would require the Mods to intervene.

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Interesting thread ! My top 5 votes for classical musicians with most "appeal" (combines "looks", "personality", "elegance", "appearance", "stage presence" etc):

Among the "older" set - KJ Yesudas (based on 1970s/1980s image. These days looks somewhere between a sadhu and a businessman :lol:), MS Subbulakshmi, N. Rajam (violin), Amir Khan, Thakur Omkarnath

Among the "younger" set - Rama Varma, B. Arundhati, Sangeeta Shankar (like mother, like daughter ?), Sankaran Nambudiri, Rajeswari Satish.

SR

vijay

Post by vijay »

Sangeet Rasik wrote:These days looks somewhere between a sadhu and a businessman :lol:),
These days, is there any difference between the two?

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

These days, is there any difference between the two?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

prashant

Post by prashant »

fortheloveofmusic wrote:this site will never get unclean. Atleast not because of a discussion on marital status.
I am writing this 'coz I at one point spoke abt Embar Kannan.
My explanation -
I was genuinely interested in knowing just his marital status & not for the sake of vombu or nething. I was totally bowled over by his violin skills and wanted to learn from him. This grew upto the level of wanting to be by his side every minute he played violin, & more so when my parents started looking out for me. I always wanted to marry someone who's totally into music & he was someone i had always dreamed about & he was an iyengar too! i silently prayed that it happened.
Since the right time came for me to actually think abt it , i did so. i started by asking abt him, here in this forum, where i knew i wud get an answer & also i saw casual discussions abt looks of musicians. I found out that he was married & almost immediately ended my thoughts.I knew I was a bit too late!

But my love for violin lives & never too late to learn from a person like him. I now go back to teh stage where i wanted to be his student & by God's grace i shud be able to do so.

And just one more thing, ppl dont need to be 'idiots' to be making some genuine enquiries. This is a promise that there wont be ne such posts frm my side ,ne further. pls dont feel unfortunate.

sorry for everything.
That was very innocent and sweet. You definitely do not have to apologize!

fortheloveofmusic

thanks, Prashant & cienu, for being really understanding :-)

apasruthi

Post by apasruthi »

My votes are for -

Category: All time greats

1. Grace and Poise on the stage - Vocalist KVN, Instrumentalists Chandru mama - violin and Mrudangist Raghu mama (incidentally they make the best combo on music as well)
2. Sheer good looks - Vocalists GNB, MSS and TNS(when he doesn't sing!), Instrumental (Mandolin U Srinivas, T N Krishnan-violinist & T N Rajam, and the younger Sivaraman sir on Mrudangam
3. Endearing appeal - Vocalist SSA and Chembai

Category - Contemporary Seniors

1. Grace and Poise on the Stage - Vocalist OST, Neyveli Santhanagopalan, Malladi Brothers, Instrumental - Nagai Muralidharan violinist, Mannargudi - Easwaran (Mrudangam)
2. Sheer good looks - Vocalist (none since TNS already covered in all time greats), Instrumental - Mysore Nagaraj (Violin)
3. Endearing appeal - Vijay Shiva and Manoj Shiva

Category - Contemporary Juniors

1. Grace and Poise on the Stage - Vocalist Sikkil Gurucharan, Gayathri Venkatraghavan, Instrumental - Nagai Sriram, Mysore Srikanth
2. Sheer Good looks - Vocalist Nisha Rajagopal, Swarna Rethas, Instrumental - Charumathi Raghuraman Violin, Padma Shankar Violin, K V Gopalakrishnan - Khanjira / Mrudangam,
3. Endearing appeal - Vocalist Saketharaman, Prasanna Venkat and Instrumental - Keyboard Sathya the baby of them all

Shall we have the reverse ranking or from the bottom-up? My votes for the most put-offs on stage

1. Grace and Poise (or the lack of it) - Vocalist TM Krishna, Sheshachari of Hyderabad brothers and Instrumental - Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan violin and Srimushnam Raja Rao Mrudangam
2. Sheer bad looks - Don't want to name anyone here....(not that I can't..)

Apasruthi