Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
arasi

Re: Welcome to new members

Post by arasi »

Done deal :lol:

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

That's it then. I'm not speaking to you again until next December!

Sabaash

Post by Sabaash »

Hi friends... excited to join the discussions.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

welcome aboard and enrich this august group's discussion

arasi

Post by arasi »

VKR,
Also a March (on) group :)

babusri

Post by babusri »

Hi Rasikas,

I joined the group recently. Learning a lot from the archived discussions.

Regards,
Babu Srinivasan
Bangalore

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Welcome babusri. Wish you a long and happy journey with all rasikas.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

arasi wrote:VKR,
Also a March (on) group :)
:) Nice.
This august group marches on with topics on 'Dec'a vidha gamakas, 'Nov'agraha krithis and 'Sept'a thalas :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Lovely year-around musical welcome to all new-comers!

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

chitravina ravikiran:
HEARTY WELCOME TO YOU!

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Welcome aboard and enrich us

arasi

Post by arasi »

Warm welcome, Chitravina Ravikiran!
Just saw the UthukkADu Venkata KAvi thread and came to know that you have joined us at Rasikas. We are fortunate indeed.
Both the BAla kAnDA and Yuddha kANDA, musical creations of yours for the Cleveland festival dance drama RAmAyaNA were commendable.
Please tell us about your new rAgam sanjIvini which you said was making a debut that evening in yuddha kANDA. I somehow missed it :(

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Ravikiran, delighted to know that you are among us :)

chitravina ravikiran

Post by chitravina ravikiran »

Thank you all, I only saw this now!

Arasi ji: In BK and YK, I introduced two ragas:

Katyayani: SM1D2S-SD2M1S (I had been inspired by two other 3-note ragas I had heard by Dr BMK and by Pt Rajan-Sajan Mishra)
Sanjeevini was simpler bhashanga raga. I used it more for the atmosphere of the story - the point where Anjaneya brought the Sanjeevini... It is: SG2M1PN3S-SN2PM1G2S.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks! How did I miss kAtyAyani?

trkrishnan

Re: KVN

Post by trkrishnan »

I was fascinated to read about Sri K V Narayanaswami especially those written by son KN Viswanathan (Vichu, thanks). I am Vichu's cousin (my father Ranganathan and KVN were first cousins and were very close). I was fortunate have close relation with KVN mama and have had the privilege to sit on the stage to play the shruti on a few occasions. One such concert by KVN mama, with Sri TN Krishnan and Sri Umalapuram Shivaraman, in the mid 70's in Jamshedpur is still fresh in my memory. The highlights of the concert were Nanganallur in Anandabhairavi, Sri Subramanya in Kamboji, and of course KVN's best Jaggadhodharana in Kapi - in my humble opinion no body can sing Jaggadhodhanra like KVN - what a concert! On another occasion KVN mama was honoured by Bangalore’s Gayana Samaj (around 1984) and they addressed him as 'Kamboji Narayanaswami'. KVN fans know he sang Kamboji with utmost care, nurturing it lovingly from start to finish.....regards.....Ramanan

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Dear Mr. Ramanan,

Welcome to rasikas.org

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Sri Ramanan, first of all welcome.
Nanganallur in Anandabhairavi
:D Surely, you meant something else here?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Mahavishnu,
I understood it as the song 'nanganallUr ezhundaruL sarva mangaLa rAjarAjESvari' in Anandabhairavi. Loved to hear KVN sing it. Prhaps the word nanganallUr made you think of something different...

Welcome, trkrishnan (Ramanan?).

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Arasi, thanks for clarifying. I had not heard of the song, so I was thinking of the Chennai suburb :grin:

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Arasi, you have already revealed, elsewhere, a knowledge of 1950s musicals. I can never think of Nanganallur without mentally setting it to the tune of Whip Crack Away from the song The Deadwood Stage, musical: Calamity Jane

Hmmm... When I take you out to the Sabha... (Oklahoma)

Please excuse lunatic ramblings :$ :$

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Welcome TRKrishnan
KVN's music is so pristine, if you could recollect a lot about KVN and share in KVN thread http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=242 that would be wonderful

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Yes, having been close to him, kin too.

Nick,
Lunatic because of the effect of the full moon lunar eclipse? Nah! we are a crazy lot anyway ;)
Anandabhairavi and Calamity Jane! Don't let the (con)fusion folks hear about it!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Actually, that whip-crack-away chorus does sound like a theermanam to me. Musical things are often not as disparate as they first appear.

Yes, I took a look at the eclipsed moon a couple of times in the night, despite the cloud.

Chunnetter

Post by Chunnetter »

hello ...nice to meet you .

vakulabharanam

Post by vakulabharanam »

Hello friends !!! I am also a rasika of carnatic music and I am very happy about having joined this carnatic music forum...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Welcome! You join the growing list of rasikas on the forum with a rAga name!

vakulabharanam

Post by vakulabharanam »

Thanks for the welcome !! the ragam is one of my favourites esp. E Ramuni

Kannan91

Post by Kannan91 »

Hello everyone,

I've just joined the forum, although I have been browsing for quite a while. I'm only starting to get into CM, and I have very little knowledge of the technical aspects (of this or any other sort of music!), but I enjoy it nevertheless. I am a Malayali, but I've spent most of my life here in England and right now I'm an undergraduate student. I'm a bit of an amateur linguist and quite interested in the sahitya aspect of CM (I don't even like listening to a kriti without having a copy of the sahitya at hand!) and I've been studying Sanskrit on and off in my spare time.

Kannan

vasanthakokilam

Welcome Kannan. Nice to have a linguist amongst us. You will find quite a few sahityapriyas around here ( sticklers if I may, affectionately ;) ) and you will be right at home.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

kannan - welcome aboard. Having lyrics before you listen to the song will be a tough one as no body knows what the artist will be singing unless you choose to listen to recorded songs only after having the lyrics. Good luck to you and wish you a long musical journey

kavya456

Post by kavya456 »

Welcome to all the new members from my side its good to meet all of you here, :)

kantamani

Post by kantamani »

Hello everyone! I am an avid student and rasika of Carnatic music, currently based in the US. I look forward to meeting you all, and to improving my own musical knowledge through interaction with such knowledgeable rasikas!

Glad to be a part of this wonderful forum.

-kantamani

vasanthakokilam

Kantamani, welcome to the forum.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I just see that Mridangist Vidwan MelakAveri Balaji has joined the forum(with the id "melakaveri"), warm welcome to you to our forum.

duff777

Post by duff777 »

Hello, I'm Luis from the border Mexico-USA, my language is Spanish. I don't have any Indian ancestry.
I enjoy listening and watching videos of Carnatic music, and reading about it and their artists.
I also play the duff while listening to hindu, catholic, buddhist, sikh and jain devotional songs.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Welcome aboard Luis and enjoy a long musical journey with us.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Luis, welcome! If you do not mind, could you share with us how your interest in CM was sparked?

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Bienvenido, Luis. Glad to have you join us.
Like Ravi (rshankar), I am also curious about the origins of your interest in Carnatic music.

duff777

Post by duff777 »

Thanks for the welcome.
I participate in wikipedia spanish in themes about India and music, among other topics, and on the net I discovered videos like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJbiILmfuPc
then gradually I became interested in Indian classical music (especially Carnatic), first with percussion instruments, then melodic instruments, theory, composers, now vocal artists. Indian classical singing is difficult to digest for foreigners, I think they prefer instrumental music.

By the way, does any gentleman know who is the mridangam player in this performance?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7pyo6SuFhk

8)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Who else would not be mesmerized by such bewitching rhythm!
Enjoy your stay here and contribute to our understanding of Latin rhythm too!

msm

Post by msm »

Dear All: Belated Pongal wishes. Hope the festivities bring lots of music and auspiciousness in your lives.
I guess I broke the convention by not posting in the new members thread. Have been here for a few months now.
I am an ordinary rasika of CM who migrated from enjoying/memorizing film music tunes to CM due to circumstances/people around. Live in California. Was a silent reader for a few months, but the venBa buff thread was too attractive/inspiring to keep quiet. Have made a few posts there.
Very glad and honoured to meet all of you rasikas/poets. Regards & love.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Welcome aboard msm

Sukanya

Post by Sukanya »

Dear all,
I am Sukanya . To be true I haven't learnt music ever.Hoping for a chance to learn sooner.I have joined "Rasikas" to gain knowledge about music and help a friend of mine who has a good skill in singing.Can someone tell me a renowned carnatic vocal guru nearby koramangala or electronic city? so that my friend can start learning carnatic properly.I really want to help him because of the skills and dediction he has towards music though he is not trained.Thanks in advance.

vivek@mel

Post by vivek@mel »

Hi, I am Vivek from Melbourne, Australia. Nice to read posts from great music rasikas and the name of this website sounds perfect.
I hail from Palakkad, Kerala and I`ve learnt vocal music from Sri. Baburaj - a senior student of Chembai Memorial music academy and Flute from Sri.S.Krishna Iyer at Kalpathy, Palakkad. Now learning vocal from Smt Jayshree Ramachandran here in Melbourne. I wish to gain knowledge and contribute to this forum by posting my experiences on attending concerts here!

vasanthakokilam

Sukanya and Vivek, welcome to the forum!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Welcome Sukanya and Vivek: Sukanya I would suggest your friend approach Jayanthi Kumaresh--the Veena player( niece of Llgudi Jayaraman and w/o of Kumaresh of the Ganesh-Kumaresh Duo)--she lives in bangalore.

She is a busy performing artiste so that her teaching commitments may be tight. However she is one of the best teachers I have known and some of her students rave about her teaching--but your friend better be prepared for the Lalgudi School's penchant for rigor and discipline.

Good Luck!!!

mangalpandey1959

Post by mangalpandey1959 »

i am reading a lot in dance/music these days as my daughter is planning to do an arangetram in california bay area. i am discussing pros and cons in Natya forum. it is very heartening to see there is a forum to support these activities, having grown up in north india and not exposed to dance/music, i am appreciating the art and need for a "good" teacher

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Welcome Sri V.S.Narasimhan, Violinist to our forum as a newly registered member.

I hope that there will be more interactions with you from many of the Rasikas from this forum.

S.NAGESWARAN.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Some of my friends who are knowledgeable and interested in carnatic music and bhajans want to join the forum.It seems they tried and failed. pl let me know the current procedure.Thanks