Welcome to new members

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
vasanthakokilam

Re: Welcome to new members

Post by vasanthakokilam »

There is a problem in the sign up procedure. Srkris is looking into it.We will post back here once that is resolved.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I have manually approved all new member registrations until the issue is fixed.

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

Hearty welcome to Dr M Narmada Ji.

Enriched by your presence.

Ashoka

Post by Ashoka »

Hello everyone. I am Ashoka.
As they say in kannada "Hoovinda Naaru swargakke Hoyithu"..... "The thread found mooksha by binding itself to the flowers"
I am just a music lover with very little or no Sangeetha Jnana. I am here to enjoy the company of the learned and there by enrich my life.
I am glad to be a part of this esteemed Rasika Sangha and looking forward for the interactions

God bless you all
Ashoka

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Ashoka, welcome.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Ashoka A warm welcome from a fellow Rasika(joined in 2009).Let me say this. I am in my Seventies and I have been a passionate lover/listener of CM for over 6 decades and I can BOLDLY assert that I have learnt from this Forum in 4 years far more than what I have absorbed in the previous 60 odd years!!
By all means browse thro all the topics--if you are a new listener and want to know about Ragas or Krithis there are topics devoted to these subjects besides many. I can assure you even after 4 years of active participation there are many areas that I have not been able to explore--so vast is this treasure trove of know;ledge.

The moderators and the contributors--too many to be named individually --are doing an outstanding job of steering discussions on various topics without any censorship. Take advantage of this site. This is the BEST CM sites that I have come across!!

Again WELCOME!! let us know your interests and there will be forumites ready to enthral you!!!

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

Ashoka avarige,
Suswagata.
Nice to see one more kannadiga on the forum.
Hearty welcome.

Ashoka

Post by Ashoka »

Thank you all for that warm welcome. Ramasubramanian sir, surely will take your kind advice and try to learn as much as possible.

@aaaaabbbbb avare- nimma ee tumbhu hridayada swaagathakke, naanu aabhari :-)

Musical_Dream

Post by Musical_Dream »

Hi All,
I am Balaji. I am a big fan of Carnatic Music. Glad to find this forum.

Jai Shri Ram

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Welcome Balaji

shankar vaidyanathan

Post by shankar vaidyanathan »

Namaskarams,

My name is Shankar Vaidyanathan. I was born at Srivaikuntam, Tirunelveli. My father side is from Thanjavur. I have been brought up on both Thamirabarani and Kaveri waters. I live in Houston, Texas. I am a student of music. Learnt Hindustani for a couple of years. Carnatic vocal is my passion. Avid listener. Immensely benefited from this forum for the last several years. I will continue to learn from fellow Rasikas.

Best,
Shankar.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Namaskaram, Hello, and Welcome :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Says the gent in vEshTi and kurtA!
Welcome to all new members!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Shankar,
Welcome to the forum. Share your valuable experience with us.
Thanjavooran
26 01 2014

tanapp

Post by tanapp »

Dear all,

it's always been a pleasure and enlightening to read this forum. My participation has been more passive, although I have written a few reviews from last year's concerts. Since I never got to say a formal hello, let me take this thread up to say a big hello and namaste to all the members, rasikas, music lovers and seasoned performers here.

I have been dormant in the performance circle for more than 25 years for various lame reasons..and so instead of regretting it, I have mustered some courage and drawn much inspiration from Carnatic fora like these and others, to resume my lessons with Savita Narasimhan and have been a novice performer for about a few months now. Still a lifetime(s) to learn and perfect the art. But I have realized that it is never too late.

Here is a playlist from one of my recent performances at the Fremont (California) Margazhi Utsavam 2014..

http://goo.gl/yPjJSE

Seeking all your best wishes and blessings,

TN Arunagiri.

vasanthakokilam

Sri Arunagiri: Your singing is quite excellent and professional. Gaja vadana was quite dynamic and energetic. You have a good voice and CM sounds great in that timbre. The accompanists also did a great job. I will listen to the rest of the songs later.

Congrats on restarting your musical lessons with Smt. Savita Narasimhan . All the best for a great performing career.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

I also listened to the first kirtanam "Gaja vadana" - very well sung - good support from Pakkavadyams too. Welcome back as an active participant in this forum.

tanapp

Post by tanapp »

Thanks vasanthakokilam and VK Raman. A kattkuTTi that I am - quite humbled by your kind encouraging words.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Tanapp: Welcome again! I look forward to actually being able to attend one of your performances! All the best.

tanapp

Post by tanapp »

mahavishnu: that will be awesome!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

tanaap,
Another performing member among us!
You have a pleasing voice and a good vazhi ( good school of singing). Your svarams in gaja vadana were very good and could hear the pleasant violin sound there! Also heard a bit of naTTaikuRinji rAgA.

The best to you!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arunagiri, I was finally able to catch up with the clips, and I echo the words of praise from the others. Thank you for sharing, and please do keep on doing so. Best wishes for more opportunities and continued enjoyment.

tanapp

Post by tanapp »

arasi, rashankar - with due respect, much appreciated and humbled.

Thanks.

tanapp

Post by tanapp »

Oh and yes..the pakkavadyam-ists are just rockstars. Their bios are read out in video no. 366 in the playlist. (http://goo.gl/yPjJSE)

Thanks,

Arunagiri.

Tattvamasi

Post by Tattvamasi »

Hi all,

My name is Sanjay 22 and I currently live in Bangalore. I fell in love with Carnatic music when I came across a beautiful kirthi on Shankara tv. Google was kind enough to tell me that it was "Shree kamalmbayaha param nahi re" in Bhairavi. and that's when my love for Dikshitar and his compositions started. that man is brilliant! it's come to the point that i start grumbling if nobody sings a Dikshitar kirthi in any kutcheri.

But sadly, I haven't been that fortunate to go and learn.I really want to learn the art. is it too late? I'd love to hear from you rasikas.

P.s- As i type this, I'm listening to Kamakshi , the Bhairavi Swarajathi. next is Rave himagiri kumari.so exited.

Thank you.

Sanjay aka Tattvamasi

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Sundar Avl,
Warm welcome to the elite forum. Share your views.
Thanjavooran
24 02 2015

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I received a forward about an itunes application to play ragas. When I offered to bring it to the notice of rasikas.org members, I received this mail. Administrators may please help.
Quote:
App for carnatic ragas

My dear Chellappa, Thanks for your immediate response & interest shown in the...
Govindarajanraman

Dear Sri Chellappa
I realized that I had requested admittance to rasikas.org and posted info about my app already. If you can try the app and provide me/ rasikas feedback that would be most useful.

Regards, Raman
Unquote.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Maruthidasan Avl
Welcome to this forum. IMO you are the first Sabha Secretary to become a member of this elite Rasikas org. Share your views as an organizer too.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
19 05 2015

Asish

Post by Asish »

I am new born baby in this forum. feeling good to find this and feeling so bad I missed this all these days. I Really appreciate all the hands behind this and thanking you all for adding more knowledge to my life.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Asish: Welcome to our site. Hope you like what you see and actively take part in the discussions.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

kingsleytailors,
welcome to the forum
Thanjavooran
09 10 2015

Denise Pf

Post by Denise Pf »

Hello,

I am a newbie Carnatic music fan in the US.

I surfed my way into this music a few months ago. In that time I have been sampling ragam on youtube, exploring the melakarta ragam on Wikipedia, and learning about talam and gamaka (mostly from teaching videos on Youtube).

I have always used music for it's soothing effects on me. Carnatic ragas do that powerfully. (They do alot more than that, too -- but to talk about that goes into personal areas.) Perhaps in time my mind and my ear will catch up.

In my brief journey into Carnatic music, I have come to understand that some raga are morning ragas and others are for other times of day. I have been wondering if perhaps there are CDs out there of all morning ragas, and perhaps also for other times of the day. Do they exist? What are some names of those CDs? Is there a good place for me to buy them? ( I am hoping that this is an easy question for someone here.)

I have one other question. I play what would be aptly described as easy piano. ( I can play a song like one might have heard on the radio in the US in the 1980's -- and if you are familiar with that song, it will be recognizable to you.) The closest Indian instrument to the piano is the harmonium but it is not always included in those to be used for Carnatic music and it won't do gamaka. What do people here think about the harmonium in Carnatic music? Perhaps it is still a good way for me to understand the music better, even if it is not ideal?

Thank you for allowing me to join you, and thank you for your patience with my beginner's questions.

Namaste,

Denise

vasanthakokilam

Welcome to the forum Denise.

Given that you are already familiar with Melakarta, Gamaka, tala etc. you are no longer a newbie, you are right in the meaty part of the curve..

On harmonium there are two schools of thought. There are those who agree on the gamaka difficulties with it and then there are others who bemoan the fact it has been phased out. Given that, you can definitely use the harmonium as a pathway into Indian music ( Hindustani musicians use it more than carnatic ) knowing the limitations. But there are harmonium players who bring out the raga personality even with those limitations. That is indeed amazing.

Regarding Morning ragas. Again HM is more a stickler for time of day based ragas than CM but there is atleast some unanimous opinion about the morning ragas in CM as well. Look for ragas like Bowli, Revagupti, malayamarutam... Bowli is a sure bet.

msakella

Post by msakella »

It has very well been proved, beyond any doubt, that the modern keyboard which is available along with the facilities of Transpose and Metronome is 100 times more reliable than a music-teacher in respect of precise rhythm or note. amsharma

venkatasub

Post by venkatasub »

Hi,

I am R. Venkatasubramanian. I am 74 years old and an ardent Carnatic music lover (especially the immortal Madurai Mani Iyer). I stumbled upon this website and immediately registered myself to learn from the forums. This is a real treasure house and I would like to express my admiration and approbation to the admins of the site.
Venkat.

vasanthakokilam

Welcome to the forum, Sri. Venkatasubramanian!

grajesh10

Post by grajesh10 »

Hello All,
I am Rajesh , an ardent fan of Carnatic music. I am basically a Bombayite , but currently reside at Chennai. I learn Veena there and am a regular listener of the Akashwani Sangeet Sammelans since 1990.
Would request anybody who records them?
My contact number is 9962448400.
Warm Regards,
Rajesh Gopalakrishnan

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

WElcome Rajesh to our forum. Hope you take an active part in our discussions and appreciate and enjoy other rasikas' views.

vasudevand

Post by vasudevand »

I just came across this forum and saw some names like rsankar, ranganayaki. They were talking about names as Chella Upendran, Shantha Viswanthan, Seshadri who were our music, biology and sanskrit teachers I would like you to contact or reply to me to see if we were classmates. Are you Ravisankar?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

You can try to contact them by sending messages to them. Just click on the Contact area on the right side of the post,under the user name.

violinshreehari

Post by violinshreehari »

Namasthe

I am Shreehari
I am a new member . I am a 36 year old violinist . Nice to meet everyone here

vasanthakokilam

Welcome Shreehari.

K.Chandralekha

Post by K.Chandralekha »

as a new member i need some help in interacting with fellow members and getting and giving mutual help related to carnatic music queries.

vasanthakokilam

Welcome Chandralekha. Post your questions and contributions in the appropriate sub forums.

sharmgn

Post by sharmgn »

I would like to get contact details of Jambu Kannan Mami in JP Nagar bangalore. Can you please help me?

varsha

Post by varsha »

I learn Veena there and am a regular listener of the Akashwani Sangeet Sammelans since 1990.
Would request anybody who records them?
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/4hyfe5 ... RECORDINGS

This is only a part of what we have recorded.
Progress is slow.
For full set please send private mail and drop in
I live in Chennai
cheers

cienu

Post by cienu »

sharmgn wrote:I would like to get contact details of Jambu Kannan Mami in JP Nagar bangalore. Can you please help me?
I have sent you an email. please check your inbox.

Mayuran

Post by Mayuran »

Greetings to all! I am a new member, joined in January 2017. I have always been a lover of Carnatic music. I have been living in the US for over four decades. Now I am in my 70s. When I came here in the early 70s, there was practically no avenue to listen to CM except LP records brought from India. It is so different now, thanks to a large number of organizations, groups, singers and students patronizing this art. And the internet as well as forums like yours help people like me a lot in not only listening to the music but also in appreciating and understanding the nuances. Thank you for taking me in. Mayuran

Usha Raghavan

Post by Usha Raghavan »

Namaskaram! I have been reading, checking and following rasikas for quite sometime now. It is truly a pleasure to have become a member of this wonderful group today. My sincere thanks to everyone here for the incredibly interesting and authentic posts. Regards, Usha

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Welcome to forum, Usha! We hope you'll join us in the discussions.