A musician's dream: To be Madurai Mani Iyer

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Sachi_R

A musician's dream: To be Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by Sachi_R »

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Lalitharam's talk on MMI for the Ranjani Memorial:
https://youtu.be/Ou6epRR5ezY

I have known Lalitharam to have a rare passion for CM and the energy to do something good. I wish him all the best always.

After ruminating on what he said, and what I have myself heard of MMI and his music, I imagined what a CM artiste might tell God in his prayer:

"Dear God,
I just heard you are willing to listen to my prayer. So I am not wasting any time and getting straight to the point.

Dear Bhagavan, listen. I want to be a Carnatic musician. It is the best system there is.
But I don't want to be ANY musician. I want to be Madurai Mani Iyer.

Why? For one thing I find he had the sweetest voice. It was like payasam.

His voice was mellow and mild. Not frenetic, breathless, and sweaty.

It was also so tuneful. Every swara came out like a jewel. Nothing amiss.

And then there was a love in his music. Love of the song. Love of the listener. Love of the accompanist. Love of life.

Best thing, listening to him, you were happy, not because of his mega repertoire or maha jnanam or musical mastery or mathematical mojo. Just simply happy. And that's saying a lot, right!?

There was also joie de vivre. He seems to have had all the fun all the time. It was as if the God he sang to sat in front of him, enjoying it every bit, with a big smile. Even MMI seems to have been always smiling in his soul, always!

Ok, I don't know if he made a lot of money. I do know he had many health problems. He was not known for his star looks or diamond ear-studs or special perfumes or the solid reputation of a king or a king maker or a large-hearted giver or activist.

But I still want to be MMI. I mean, what matters most in CM was with him. In plenty.

Thank you, Bhagavan! "

Yours truly...

vsn69

Re: A musician's dream: To be Madurai Mani Iyer

Post by vsn69 »

I have been Sri MMI's house in Mylapore very many times. As a youngster, along with my mother and sometimes my entire family would go there. We were in walking distance from their house.

He'd say "Rajammava va", referring to my mother. He could not see, but he'll know it's her.
He'll ask her to sing too.

We children called him Mani Mama or Madurai Mani Mama. My mother called him just Anna.

He had a beatific smile.
Both his sisters, Sri Vembu Iyer and the children were there in that house as well.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

VSN, you're blessed!

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

I must agree I am blessed.
I have also met Smt MS, when my mother took me to her house. I was surprised at the likeness between the two of them.
My daughter has been to her house quite a few times and even sung to her, while Smt MS played on the harmonium.
Hence I suppose I am blessed and so is my daughter!

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »