Meaning of candracooDa

Classical Dance forms & related music
nrityapriya

Post by nrityapriya »

I found the lyrics but need meaning (word to word if possible) for candra cooDa.
Thank you very much.
Nrityapriya
p.s. here is the link for lyrics
http://www.karnatik.com/c1252.shtml

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Nrtiyapriya,

I am not very conversant with kannaDa, but I have attempted a translation. The words I am not clear (but have translated contextually) are bolded, and I hope Ramakriya, or someone else fluent in kannaDa will fix those errors and educate me in the process.

pallavi
candracUDa shiva sha.nkara pArvatI ramaNanE ninage namO namO
sundara mriga dhara pinAka dhanukara gangA"¨shira gajacarma ambaradhara

One whose locks are adorned (cUDa) by the moon (candra)! Oh pristinely pure one (Siva), the creator of (kara) auspiciousness (SaM)! Oh husband (ramaNanE) of pArvatI, salutations (namO, namO) to thee (ninagE)! Oh handsome (sundara) one, holding (dhara) a deer (mruga) and a bow (dhanu) called pinAka in your hands (kara), bearing the holy ganges (gangA) on your head (Sira), and draped (dhara) in a garment (ambara) made from the skin (carma) of the elephant-faced (gaja) demon you destroyed!

anupallavi
nandi vAhana Anandadinda mUr jagadi mereva nInE
andu amR.ta"¨ghaTTadinda udisida viSha tandu bhujisidava nInE

One who has the venerable nandI as his mount (vAhanA)! You are (nInE) the one who protects (mereva) the whole (mUr) world (jagadi) from the bliss emanating (Anandadinda) from your tANDava. You are the one (nInE) who protected us by consuming (bhujisidava) the poison (visha) that arose (udisida) from the pot (ghaTadinda) that bore the nectar of immortality (amrita) that day (andu) when the gods and demons churned the milky ocean.

caraNam 1

kandarpana krodhadinda kaN teredu konda ugranu nInE"¨
indirEsha shrI rAmana"¨nAmava candadi pogaLuva nine

You are (nInE) the ferocious one (ugranu) who, from intense anger (krOdhadinda), opened (teredu koNDa) his third eye (kaN) and destroyed manamatha (kandarapana)! You are the one (nInE) are the one who spreads/chants (pogaLuva) the name (nAmava) of SrI rAma, the Lord (ISa) of lakshmI (indira) with great beauty (candadi)!

caraNam 2

bAlamruganDana kAlanu eLevAga pAlisidava nInE
kAlakUTavanu"¨pAnamADida nIlakanThanu nInE

You are the one (nInE) who protected (pAlisidava) the young (bAla) mArkaNDa (mruganDana) from the clutches of yama (kAlanu) with effortless ease (eLevAga)! You are the ‘blue (nIla) throated (kaNThanu) one’ who consumed (pAnamADida) the deadly halAhalam (kAlakUTavanu).

caraNam 3

valayadi kapAla piDidu bhikShe bEdO digambara nInE
jAla mADida"¨gOpAlanemba heNNige maruLAdava nInE

Clothed (ambara) by the different directions (dik) [1], and holding (piDidu) the circular (valayadi) begging bowl (kapAla) in your hands, you (nInE) are the one who seeks (bEDO) alms (bhikshE)! You (nInE) are the one who became (Adava) the doting husband (maruLu) of a girl/maiden (heNNigE) named (emba) gOpAla who created (mADida) magic/illusion (jAla) [2].

caraNam 4
dharege dakShiNa kAveri tIra kumbhapura vAsanu nInE

You are the resident (vAsanu) of kumbhapura, which is situated on the southern (dakshiNa) banks (tIra) of the river kAvErI on this earth (dharagE)

karadalli vINeya gAnava mADuva uraga bhUShaNa nInE

Adorned (bhUshaNa) by snakes (uraga), you are the creator (mADuva) of melodious music (gAnava) from the vINA (vINeya) you hold in (dalli) your hands (kara)!

koraLali bhasma rudrAkShava dharisida parama vaiShNava nInE

Wearing (dharisida) the sacred ashes (bhasma) and a rudrAkshamAlA around your throat (koraLali), you are the ultimate (parama) vaishNavaite!

garuDagamana shrI purandara viTTalage prANa priyanu nInE

For, are you not dearer (priyanu) than life (prANa) itself to my Lord, SrI purandara viTTala (viTTalagE), who travels (gamana) on the garuDa?

FOOTNOTES

[1] dik+ambara = digambara (can also be interpreted as the 'Emperor's New Clothes')
[2] does this refer to the mOhinI episode?
Last edited by rshankar on 23 Dec 2008, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Congrats Shankar! Your are becoming multilingual!
[2] does not appear to relate to Mohini episode. It may be part of the krishna leela among the gopis.
Perhaps an interpretation problem; that a Kannadiga can help!

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

rshankar,

Very nice translation :) I will just give some additional information on some lines

>>>nandi vAhana Anandadinda mUr jagadi mereva nInE

One who has the venerable nandI as his mount (vAhanA)! You are (nInE) the one who shines in (mereva) the three (mUr) worlds (jagadi) from the bliss (Anandadinda)

Your interpretation of the bliss as emenating from your tANDava may be right, but not spelt out as such in the lyrics.

bhujisu, bhunjisu = to eat, consume; your translation is correct.

>>> candadi pogaLuva nine

pogaLu = to praise

You are the one (nInE) are the one who praises (pogaLuva) the name (nAmava) of SrI rAma, the Lord (ISa) of lakshmI (indira) with great beauty (candadi)!

>>>bAla mrukanDana kAlanu eLevAga pAlisidava nIne

You are the one (nInE) who protected (pAlisidava) the young (bAla) mArkaNDa (mrukanDana) when yama (kAlanu) was pulling (eLevAga) him!

Not too sure about the usage of the word 'valayadi' in charaNa 3; - It does not refer to a circular bowl howeber.
And yes, the caraNa refers to the Mohinin episode.

charaNa 4 refers to KumbakONam = kumbha pura

Regards,

Ramakriya

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks for the corrections, Ramakriya!

poonmahe

Post by poonmahe »

Nrityapriya or anyone else,

Is the music of this composition available to purchase. How can I get it or where can I buy it?

Thanks
Poonam

kjrao

Post by kjrao »

The dictionary meaning of 'valaya' is region/globe etc. So, 'valyadi' may mean in this world(vishwa) ?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Poonam, it is part of the songs in the 5 CD Legends set featuring Smt. MLV.

Kjrao,

Then, is this how that section of caraNa 3 will translate?

"Clothed (ambara) by the different directions (dik) [1], and holding (piDidu) a begging bowl (kapAla) in your hands, you (nInE) are the one who seeks (bEDO) alms (bhikshE) from the world (valayadi)!"

sagars

Post by sagars »

Rshanker That is a nice translation.

Poonmahe; I have a casstte of Sri vidyabhushana tittled purandara kritis on shiva, having this song- a wonderful renditon.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks Sagar!

poonmahe

Post by poonmahe »

Sagar,

The casseete you mentioned is it composed for Bharatnatyam?

Rshankar

Can you provide more info on 5 CD Legends set ? Is it available to purchase if so where?

Thank you

rshankar

Re: Meaning of candracooDa

Post by rshankar »

A very nice presentation of this composition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNdBWXBfwSM

rsrkmisc20

Post by rsrkmisc20 »

Rshankar, and Ramakriya: Thank you very much for the translation. I wanted to understand word-by-word meaning of candracooDa after watching Sridevi Nrithyala's Bharatanatyam performance at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvUnJOafjaE. IMHO, this performance is one of the (if not the best) portrayal of candracooDa. I know this thread has been inactive for almost 10 years but if you happen to read this message, once again THANK YOU!

A Rasika

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

Please check your mail.

rsrkmisc20

Post by rsrkmisc20 »

aaaaabbbbb: Thank you so much for the word by word translation. Namaskarams. 🙏🙏🙏