Ananda Natamidum Padam- Raaga Kedargowla

Classical Dance forms & related music
kzivraj

Post by kzivraj »

Hi can anyone please provide me with the literal translation of the lyrics for ananda natamidum padam in raga kedargowla?

Thanks for your help!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here are the lyrics so that someone can provide the translation.

Ananda naTamiDum pAdan. rAgA: kEdAragauLa. Adi tALA.

P: Ananda naTamiDum pAdan ponnambala vANan cidambara nAthan
A: gAnam tanait-toDarndu jnAnam tarum pErinba
mOnam tazhaikkum yOga vAnam tanil magizhndu
C: mAnum mazhuvum Damarugamum aravum tiru varadAbhaya karamum caraNAmbujamum puli tAnum patanjaliyum paNiya ayanum mAlum tALam maddaLam koTTa shilambum kulunga inbat-tattai mozhi shivakAmi maNALan satva guNan padinAngula kALan
tatvamasip-poruLAya dayALan sadA nija anbar vaNangu tALan
tattari kiTa dhimi jhaNuta jhaNuta dhIm taka tadhingiNa tOm jhaNa jhaNa jhaNavena bhakthargaL munivargaL imaiyOrgaLum pugazh
pADavum punal shEr shaDai mati Adavum

kzivraj

Post by kzivraj »

thank you for the lyrics Lakshman. Now i just hope i get a translation as it would make it easier for me to think of the steps accordingly. Thanks for your help once again!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I could have sworn that I translated this earlier, but there seems to be no trace of it whatsoever, so here goes again:

P: Ananda naTamiDum pAdan ponnambala vANan cidambara nAthan"¨

The lord (nAthan) of cidambaram, the resident (vANan) of the golden (pon) hall/sabha (ambala) is the one with feet (pAdan) that dances (naTaiDum) the Ananda tANDavam.

A: gAnam tanait-toDarndu jnAnam tarum pErinba"¨mOnam tazhaikkum yOga vAnam tanil magizhndu"¨

When meditative and exhilarating (pErinba) silence (mOnam) that grants (tarum) knowledge (gnyAnam) follows melodious music (gAnam tanai), my Lord will dance in the yogic stance (yoga vAnam) that will flourish (tazhaikkum) in that trance.

C: mAnum mazhuvum Damarugamum aravum tiru varadAbhaya karamum caraNAmbujamum puli tAnum patanjaliyum paNiya ayanum mAlum tALam maddaLam koTTa shilambum kulunga inbat-tattai mozhi shivakAmi maNALan satva guNan padinAngula kALan"¨tatvamasip-poruLAya dayALan sadA nija anbar vaNangu tALan"¨tattari kiTa dhimi jhaNuta jhaNuta dhIm taka tadhingiNa tOm jhaNa jhaNa jhaNavena bhakthargaL munivargaL imaiyOrgaLum pugazh"¨pADavum punal shEr shaDai mati Adavum

As vyAghrapAda (puli tAnum) and patanjali bow down (paNiyum) to the lotus-like (ambujam) feet (caraNam) of the Lord, as brahmA (ayyanum) wields the cymbals (tALam) and vishNu (mAlum) plays (koTTa) the maddaLam, holding a deer (mAnum), a battle-axe (mazhuvum) and a small drum (damrukamum) in his hands, a snake (aravum) around his neck, and his divine (tiru) hands (karamum) blessing us with the boon (varada) of fearlessness (abhaya), and his anklets (Silambum) shake (kulunga), the Lord, who is the husband (maNALan) of SivakAmi whose speech (mozhi) is as sweet (inba) as that of parrots (tattai), whose character (guNan) is virtuous (satva), who is the ruler (ALan) of the fourteen (padinAngu) worlds (ulaga), who is the compassionate (dayALan) essence (poruLAya) of the principle of ‘tat tvam asi’ [1], and who is always (sadA) the one whose feet (tAL-an) true (nija) devotees (anbar) offer worship (vaNangum) dances to the SolkaTTu (ena) tattari kiTa dhimi jhaNuta jhaNuta dhIm taka tadhingiNa tOm jhaNa jhaNa jhaNa. And witnessing this, devotees (bhaktargaL), sages (munivargaL), and the gods (imaiyOrgaLum) sing (pADavum) his praises (pugazh), as his matted locks (SaDai) where the river (punal) and the moon (mati) meet (SEr) sway (ADavum) to his rhythm.

FOOTNOTE
[1] tat tvam asi - that (tat) thou (tvam) art (asi) - is a vendantic pronouncement which means that the individual soul in its purest form is fully or partially identifiable with the supreme reality (para brahman)
Last edited by rshankar on 03 Dec 2008, 05:20, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Here is the audio in case you are interested
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/R4v ... As1NMvHdW/

kzivraj

Post by kzivraj »

thank you so much for the translation and the audio link!! really appreciate your help! :)

poonmahe

Post by poonmahe »

How do I listen to music on Music India online. I get the real Plyaer opened but the Loading link does not go away. I have even downloded the realplayer on my machin. ANy Advice?

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Pray, who is the composer

avnipriya

Post by avnipriya »

The Composer is Papanasam Sivan.

Meenuneenu

Re: Ananda Natamidum Padam- Raaga Kedargowla

Post by Meenuneenu »

I saw that most of the renditions for dance on youtube has charanam like this:
"mAnum Damarugamum kaigalil Ada mathiyum aravum thirumudi Ada....."
Is this also a part of the song? What is the full lyrics of this version?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The lyrics in post #2 are from the printed book 2nd edition, in 1980

Surya Kalakshetra

Post by Surya Kalakshetra »

I have the same doubt. The charanam is different in many dance performances. Why is it like that? It will be helpful if anyone clarifies this.

Thank you 😊

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I checked in the 1949 edition of the book and the caraNa words are the same as seen in post #2.