Nadanam Aadinar - Composer?

Classical Dance forms & related music
tharmeega

Nadanam Aadinar - Composer?

Post by tharmeega »

https://youtu.be/7Q0OIjTBFcw

In this 1947 Tamil movie "Kannika" which is available on YouTube if you click the above link, the starting credits say that Papanasam Sivan has composed and written the lyrics for all the music and Vazhuvoor Ramiahpillai has choreographed all the bharathanatyam dances. Right after the credits, at 54 seconds in, a dance starts. It is nadanam aadinar, in ragamalika!Has anyone else ever heard this version?

This confuses me because the only Nadanam Aadinar I knew previously is the one in ragam vasantha composed by gopalakrishnan bharathi. Who is the original composer? Who is the original lyricist? If anyone has any insight, I'd love to know! Thank you.

Lakshman

Re: Nadanam Aadinar - Composer?

Post by Lakshman »

The song is the same one sung in vasantA. Tne composer is Gopalakrishna Bharati. It is quite possible that Papanasham Shivan tuned this song in rAgamAlikA.

tharmeega

Re: Nadanam Aadinar - Composer?

Post by tharmeega »

Thank you! But why then would it say that Papanasam Sivan has composed and written all the songs in the movie? Wouldn't Papanasam Sivan give the due credit to Gopalakrishnan Bharati for that composition?