Jagat ke pita - meaning

Classical Dance forms & related music
AlerK

Jagat ke pita - meaning

Post by AlerK »

Can someone please post the word to word meaning of the hindi varnam "Jagat ke Pita" by Rajee Narayanan ? The lyrics are posted here viewtopic.php?t=9555, but I do not see the meaning. Greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

Aler

rshankar

Re: Jagat ke pita - meaning

Post by rshankar »

Here is my attempt. I have made an attempt to remove the extra 'a' sound introduced when South Indians pronounce Hindi for the most part, and made minor edits to fix some errors.

pallavi
jagat kE pitA jay har har SambhO hE triSUldharA
bhagat kE dukh miThAnEvAlE umA candrakalA dharA

Victory (jay) to the granter of happiness (SambhO) [1], the destroyer (har har) [2], the father (pitA) of (kE) the world (jagat)! Hail (hE) the bearer (dharA) of the trident (triSUl), the one (vAlE) who destroys (miThAnE) the sorrows (dukh) of (kE) (his) devotees (bhagat), one who bears/wears both the crescent moon (candrakalA) as well as pArvati (umA).

anupallavi
bhasm dharA krOdh sE tErE kAm ban gayE anang
kusum kOmalAngI pArvatI ban gayI tErE vAm ang

Oh, one who wears (dharA) the sacred ash (bhasm), manmatha (kAm) became (ban gayE) formless (anang) [3] because of your (tErE) anger (krOdh), and (subsequently, it led to) pArvati, with soft (kOmal) flower-like (kusum) limbs (angI) becoming/occupying (ban gayI) the left (vAm) half of your (tErE) body (ang).

svarasAhityam
mRkaNDu bhakt jO bin bAlak kE indra lOk mE baiTh na pAyE
mRgAngit kAl kAlAntarA tErI kRpA sE suputra pAyE

When his devotee (bhakt), the Sage mRkaNDu could not sit in/be admitted to (baiTh na pAyE) the heavens (indra lOk mE) [4] without (bin) having had a son (bAlak kE), Oh one who is time (kAl) and is also beyond time (kAlAntarA), one who has been marked by a deer (mRgAngit) [5], he (mRkaNDu) was able to have (pAyE) a good son (suputra) through (sE) your (tErE) blessing/compassion (kRpA).

caraNa sAhityam
hE prabhU tErI mahimA param apAr ab mOhE dE

Oh Lord (hE prabhU), at this time (ab), please grant (dE) me (mOhE) your (tErI) supreme (param) and boundless (apAr) magnificence (mahimA)!

caraNasvara sAhityam 1
nIl kaNTh mein vish nAg jhUlE

Poisonous (vish) snakes (nAg) sway (jhUlE) around/on/in (mein) (your) blue (nIl) throat (kaNTh)

caraNasvara sAhityam 2
nandan jO tErE draSan karnE A na sakA yajmAn kE kAraN
tErI dayA sE mandir pahuncA mankI ASA hOgayI pUraN

Nandan [6], who (jO) could not (na sakA) come (A) to get (karnE) a vision (darSan) of you (tErE), because of (kAran) his master (yajmAn), was able to get to (pahUncA) (your) temple (mandir) because (sE) of your (tEri) mercy (dayA), and the desires (ASA) of (kI) his heart (man) were (hOgayI) fulfilled.

caraNasvara sAhityam 3
khUn behtE Siv ling kE nainOn sE jab dEkh liyA
tyAg kE apnE dOnOn nainOn kO jangal kE SikArI nE mOksh pAyA

When (jab) (he) [7] saw (dEkh liyA) blood (khUn) flowing (behtE) from the eyes (nainOn) of (kE) the Siv ling, the hunter (SikAri nE) from the jungle (jungal) attained (pAyA) salvation (mOksh) by sacrificing (tyAg kE) his own (apnE) eyes (dOnOn nainOn kO) [8]

caraNasvara sAhityam 4
muni janOn ki binti sun kE svarNmay manc pE nAcE
SrIpati aur brahm dEvnE diyA sAth bAnsuri aur tAl pE
nArad muni aur vANinE sur diyE bhakt janOn nE jaikAr kiyA
naTrAj aur Sakti kA nRtya dEkhkE tIn lOk mE Anand huA

(He) danced (nAcE) on (pE) a golden (svarNmay) stage (manc) [9] after listening to (sun kE) to the requests (bintI) of (kI) the sages and ascetics (muni janOn); the gods (dEv), vishNu (SrIpati) [10] and brahmA (brahm) accompanied (sAth diyA) (him) on (pE) the flute (bAnsuri) and cymbals (tAl) [11]; sage (muni) nArada and Sarasvati (vANI nE) lent (diyE) vocal support (sur), and devotees (bhakt janOn nE) cheered (jaikAr kiyA) them on. And, beholding (dEkhkE) the dance (nRtya) of (kA) naTarAja and (aur) pArvati (Sakti), bliss (Ananda) was experienced (huA) in (mE) the three (tIn) worlds (lOk).

FOOTNOTES
[1] SambhO/Sambhu – granting or causing auspiciousness/happiness/beneficence
[2] Siva is called hara as he destroys anger, lust, sin, etc.
[3] ang = limbs or body, therefore ananga = without body or form
[4] indra lOk literally means the kingdom/country of indra
[5] mRgAngit I think means the deer that Siva holds in one of his hands
[6] Refers to the story of nandanAr
[7] Refers to the story of kaNNappa nAyanAr
[8] dOnOn naainOn = both (dOnOn = two) eyes (nainOn)
[9] svarNmay manc = kanaka sabhA
[10] SrIpati literally means husband (pati) of SrI (lakshmI) = vishNu
[11] tAl here refers to the cymbals that the naTTuvanAr wields

AlerK

Post by AlerK »

Thank you for your swift response and for the meaning Shankar. Appreciate it very much !

AlerK

Re: Jagat ke pita

Post by AlerK »

Can someone please post or email me the notation for this Varnam ? Greatly appreciate your help !

Thanks,

Aler

NNVB

Post by NNVB »

Hi
I found this varnam notation in Nritya geeta mala vol2 by Rajee Narayan.

I can email pictures of Still needed.

Also, I Would like to listen to the mp3 for same Varnam. Any link?