6th Ashtapadi of Jayadeva

Classical Dance forms & related music
laya2

6th Ashtapadi of Jayadeva

Post by laya2 »

Hi

I am trying to find word to word meaning of the ashtapadi. Though I am able to find the explanation, I am unable to find the word to word meaning. Can somebody help me with it please.

C 1 nibhruta nikunja gruham gata yA niSi rahasi
nileeya vasantam
chakita vilOkita sakala diSa rati rabhasa bharENa
hasantam
sakhee hE kESi madhana mudAram

ramaya mayA saha madana manOradha
bhAvitAya sAvikAram||sakhee

C5 kOkila kalarava koojitAyA jita manasija tantra
vichAram
Slatha kusumAkula kuntalayA nakha likhita ghana
sthana bhAram||sakhee

C7 rati sukha samaya rasAlasAyAdara mukuLita
nayana sarOjam
nissaha nipatita tanulatAyA madhusudana
mudita manOjam||sakhee||

C8 Sri jayadEva bhaNita mida matiSaya madhuripu
nidhu vana Seelam
sukha mutkanThita gOpavadhoo kadhitam
vitanOtu saleelam||sakhee

I think the meaning of:
sakhee hE kESi madhana mudAram is
Oh my friend, tell him to fulfill my desire

What all can we interpret from this line.

Thank you.

Lakshman

Re: 6th Ashtapadi of Jayadeva

Post by Lakshman »

The general meaning is available here:
http://www.sangeetasudha.org/jayadeva/j6.html

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Here you are:

अष्ट पदि ६ अक्लेश केशव मङ्जरी तिलकम्
निभृतनिकुञ्जगृहम् गतयानिशिरहसिनिलीयवसन्तम् ।
चकितविलोकितसकलदिशा रतिरभसभरेणहसन्तम् ।
सखि हे केशिमथनमुदारम् ।
रमय मया सह मदनमनोरथभावितया सविकारम् धृवम्॥ ६१
पदच्छेद - निभृत निकुञ्ज गृहम् गतया निशि रहसि निलीय वसन्तम्
चकित विलोकित सकल दिशा रति रभसभरेण हसन्तम् सखि हे केशि मथनम्
उदारम् रमय मया सह मदन मनोरथ भावितया सविकारम्

Ashtapadi 6-1:

he sakhi= oh, friend; udaaram= [let that] beautiful one, or a bountiful one – Krishna; keshi mathanam= demon keshi, the subjugator of – Krishna subjugated that demon by beguiling, hence keshi mathana came mean – a habitual beguiler; madana manoratha bhaavitayaa = for love, heart seeking, one who with such thinking – I who am longing for love of that Krishna, as my heart is filled with love for him; mayaa saha= me, along with [in me]; sa vikaaram= with all, his actions – when applied to applicable to Krishna, nakha kShata aadi naanaa sRingaara vikaaraiH; or, when applied to Rādha - while I show all vikaaraaH - stana naabhii muula prakaTanam ityaadi cheSTaaH during our union; ramaya= so, you make him to take delight [in me].
Because, once he met me in this way:
nibhR^ita= lonely, silent; niku~nja= bower, gR^iham= in such a cabin - alcove; gatayaa= one who has gone [Rādha -when I have gone into an alcove]; mayaa saha= me, along with - he who is besides me; nishi= in night; rahasi= secretly; niliiya= merged, hiding; vasantam= on who is already staying there; chakita= startled [when I was startled]; vilokita sakala dishaa = seeing around, in all, directions; mayaa saha= me, along with; rati= intimacy; rabhasa= hastiness; bhareNa - or - raseNa= he who is filled with, who is agog; hasantam= one who is smiling; keshi mathanam= demon keshi, the subjugator of – such a Krishna; madana manoratha bhaavitayaa = for love, heart seeking, one who with such thinking – I who am desirous, as my heart is filled with love for him; my mind and heart are eager for his love]; mayaa saha= me, along with [in me]; ramaya= you make him to take delight [in me].
"One night when I have gone into a prearranged lonely alcove I was startled for his truancy and started to see all around for him... but that bounteous pleasure-giver was already there, coming earlier and hiding in the darkness... then he suddenly appeared from nowhere startling me again, but smiling wryly with all his lustful comportment… then he, filled with hastiness for an exigent intimacy, met me... oh, friend, why don't you make him to take a similar delight in me even now, when my heart and mind are filled with lustful longing for him...
keshi madhanam - Krishna beguiles the demon keshi in order to eliminate him. A beguiler must be capable enough to get his things done, so Krishna's vancakatva, saamarathya are suggested here. He beguiles everyone who goes on a wrong track, only to bring him to the right path. In this verse he is said to be hasantam - laughing at her for not finding him who is already at her side, suggests that he beguiles anyone, if he/she seeks him for their ulterior motives.

Please consider (my opinion) that Gita Govinda is erotic mystical poetry and requires considerable study and contemplation before one ventures into singing or dancing to the verses. The graphic imagery is often a mere screen prop for Shringara Bhakti or erotic mysticism.

Arti Natu

Post by Arti Natu »

Please send me full worldly meaning of this ashtapadi..... Sakhi hey kashi mathan udram
My email.... natuarti75@gmail.com

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Arti Natu wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 20:27 Please send me full worldly meaning of this ashtapadi..... Sakhi hey kashi mathan udram
My email.... natuarti75@gmail.com
https://ia800306.us.archive.org/23/item ... inda_2.pdf