vara vallabha ramaNa meaning

Classical Dance forms & related music
preyas

vara vallabha ramaNa meaning

Post by preyas »

Thanks to http://www.karnatik.com for the lyrics.

Can someone please provide the meaning for the lyrics for this song.

vara vallaba
raagam: hamsadwani
taaLam: aadi
Composer: G.N. Baalasubramaniam
Language: Sanskrit

pallavi

vara vallabha ramaNa vighna haraNa sarasIhuha caranNA mAm pAlaya
(vara)

anupallavi

hara mukhOtbhava suragaNa nAyaka hari vidhIndrAdi harSa pradAyaka
(vara)

caraNam

karadhrta kamala gadAri tanu bIjA pUra pAshOtpala dAnyarucA dashana
smarashata sundara smara sakha kalAdhara shrtajana mandAra shrI lambOdara
(vara)

Rajani

Re: vara vallabha ramaNa meaning

Post by Rajani »

Here is my attempt:

vara vallabha ramaNa - O Lord of the eminent Vallabha devi,
vighna haraNa - destroyer of obstacles,
sarasIhuha caranNA - one with lotus-like feet,
mAm pAlaya - protect me.

hara mukhOtbhava - O one born from Shiva's face,
suragaNa nAyaka - master of the Devas and Shiva ganas,
hari vidhIndrAdi harSa pradAyaka - giver of joy to Brahma, Vishnu, Indra etc.

karadhrta kamala gadAri tanu bIjA pUra pAshOtpala dAnyarucA dashana - O one who holds in his hands - a lotus, mace, pomegranate, noose, lily, sheaf of grains and (your own) tusk
smarashata sundara - O one handsome as a hundred Manmathas
smara sakha kalAdhara - O one wearing a piece of the moon who is the friend of Manmatha,
shrtajana mandAra shrI lambOdara - O one with a big belly, wishfulfilling tree to the people who surrender

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rajani...very nice. What is the story to support hara mukhOdbhava?

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

Yes akka, very nice! Please tell me the story behind - vallabha ramana too!

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Ravi, Krishnaa : In the story of Lalita , Lalita and Kameshwara(Shiva) create Ganesha simply by exchanging glances. (He is born to help her in battle and he destroys the Vighna Yantras planted by Bhandasura's army). I think this is what the composer is referring to. The name in Lalita Sahasranama that states this is :
kaameshwara-mukhaaloka-kalpita-shree-gaNeshwaraa

I am not sure if there is any story of Ganesha marrying Vallabhaa. There probably is one.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

In the Tiruvarur temple, I think there is the vallabhaganapati sannidhi. Also, in one of the banks(paditturai) of the temple tank,kamalalayam, there is a small sannidhi of the vallabha ganapati.When we were young, we used to take bath in the kamalalayam and do a pradakshinam of this ganapati before leaving the paditturai. I think this concept of vallabha ganapati is to show the shakthi aspect.
Interestingly, while in the south,Ganapati is considered a brahmachari, in Maharashtra, He is cosidered as having two consorts. and Lord Subrahmanya is considered a brahmachari.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rajani - thank you for that story of the creation of gaNESa - I was only aware of the creation of gaNpati from the scruff from pArvati's arms (from the turmeric residue) - which is why, to this date, I was told we pray to a manjaL piLLaiyAr (gaNapati figurine from turmeric paste) during our rituals.
Punarvasu, correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, the term vallabha-gaNapati does not make gaNapati a non-brahmacAri per se, because 'vallabha' could be used as a descriptor for gaNapatiit (to mean 'supreme' or 'beloved'). It is from one (or more) of Sri dIkshitar's kRtis - where he expressly refers to gaNapati as vallabhAmbA ramaNa (husband of vallabhAmbA) - where gaNapati becomes a 'married man'.
And, in Maharashtra, aren't siddhi, and buddhi the two wives of gaNapati that you refer to?

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

rshankar, what I meant was , the Ganapati with vallabhA,(the vallabhanAyaka or the vallabha ramaNa),when I wrote about th sannidhis in Tiruvarur. I used the term vallabhaganapati as we use in sItArAm ,jAnakirAm or radhEyshyAm.
Yes,that,is what they are called in Maharashtra,
There is a temple for Karthikeya(near Pune, I think) where ladies are not allowed.
There is one particular day in the year(corresponding to the aipasi pournami)when ladies come to worship Lord Karthikeya. I have seen it in the cheddanagar,chembur,Mumbai,Murugan temple.

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

*vallaBhanAyaksya* a kriti of SrI Muttusvami Dikshitar
set to Begada raga is quite well known.
Another kriti of Sri MD, *Sri mahaganapatE pAlayaShumAm
mAyamaya vallaBhApatE* set to raga natanarayani
is also quite popular.

bhaskan

Post by bhaskan »

Request notation for Vara Vallabha to mail id. nbhask@gmail.com, but composed in Hamsadhwani Raga

Regards

Bhaskaran

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Done.

nulls

Post by nulls »

In this translation, I think there are some missing pieces - karadhrta kamala gadAri tanu bIjA pUra pAshOtpala dAnyarucA dashana - O one who holds in his hands - a lotus, mace, pomegranate, noose, lily, sheaf of grains and (your own) tusk -
kamala - lotus
gadA - mace or club
ari - sword
Is it Dhanu or Tanu? - Dhanu meaning bow seems to fit in according to the 32 types of Ganesha descriptions given in the below links. Tanu means body, so not sure how that would fit in.
Beejapoora according to VS Apte Sanskrit dictionary seems to be some kind of citron - maybe Vilampazham?
pasha - noose
Utpala - lily
dhAnya - grain
ruchA - this puzzles me; one meaning of Rucha is desire - Ganesha holds a branch of the kalpaka tree or wish-yielding tree according to the below links of 32 types of Ganesha descriptions - could it refer to that?
dashana - tusk

Unable to figure out which form of Ganapati the respected composer may be referring to, though the pallavi does say Vallabha Ramana. Does someone in this group have a book of the composer please? Does it have translation? Would be grateful to get some light on these queries.
These are the links I was referring to, apart from VS Apte's dictionary:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty-tw ... of_Ganesha
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/rel ... 207004.cms
Last edited by nulls on 10 Jun 2021, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have the book but it does not have any translations.

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Here is the updated meaning which I posted in karnatik after referring to a book, and also hearing some renditions

karadhrta kamala gadAri dhanur bIjA pUra pAshOtpala dhAnyarucA dashana - O one who holds in your hands - a lotus(kamala), mace, (gadA), discus (ari), sugarcane bow (dhanur), pomegranate (bijApUra), noose (pAsha), lily (utpala), grains (dhAnya) and (your own) shining tusk (dashana) !

rucA means shine

nulls

Post by nulls »

Yes, thanks, saw later yesterday that you'd posted on Karnatik.com.

nulls

Post by nulls »

I'd discounted Rucha as shining earlier because for one, the composer's not used an adjective for any of the other objects in Ganesha's hands listed before, and for another, the word Rucha is given as a noun form in Apte's dictionary as in attached picture - as light, lustre, brightness, beauty, splendour.. and lastly liking or desire, so a teeny-weeny doubt still lingers in my mind :-) - unless it's rucha instead of ruchA. One more dictionary lists rucha as an adjective meaning shining Image
Last edited by nulls on 11 Jun 2021, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

nulls

Post by nulls »

Sorry, unable to make my image appear, though I used the IMG BBcode