MAthe Malayadhwaja - Daru Varnam

Classical Dance forms & related music
nehab

MAthe Malayadhwaja - Daru Varnam

Post by nehab »

Hello,

I need the lyrics, word to word and sentence meaning for the Daru Varnam - Maathe Malayadhwaja, Raaga-Kamboji. I tried searching but couldn't find the meaning.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Neha

ganeshpv

Re: MAthe Malayadhwaja - Daru Varnam

Post by ganeshpv »

It's in Raaga Kamas, not Kamboji.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here is my attempt - Lord knows, my knowledge of sanskrit OR kannaDa is shaky at best...Corrections welcome. BTW, I wonder if this is the whole sAhitya - I took this from Lji's posting at karnatik.com

pallavi
mAtE malayadhvaja pANDya sanjAtE mAtanga vadana guha
(mAtE)

Oh mother of the elephant (mAtanga)-faced (vadana) one and kArtikEya (guha), and the daughter (sanjAtE) [1] of the pANDya king malayadhvaja.

anupallavi
shAtOdari shankari cAmuNDEshvari candrakalAdhari tAyE gaurI
(mAtE)

Oh mother (tAyE), who is fair complexioned (gauri) and slender-waisted (SATOdari)! You are the creator (kari) of auspiciousness (SaM), oh durgA (cAmuNDESvari), who wears (dhari) the crescent moon (candarakalA)!

muktaayi swara saahityam
dAtA sakala kalA nipuNa catura dAtA sulabha hrdaya madhura vacana
dAtA sarasa ruciratara svara laya gIta sukhada nija bhAva rasika vara dAtA mahishUra nAtha nAlvaDi shrI
krSNa rAjEndrara tAyE sadA pore mahite harikEsha manOharE sadayE
(mAtE)

Oh compassionate (sadayE) beguiler (manOharE) of the golden/red (hari)-tressed (kESa) [2] Siva, you are the granter (dAtA) of skilled (catura) expertise (nipuNa) in all (sakala) art-forms (kalA); an open/easily obtainable (sulabha) heart (hRdaya), and sweet (madhura) speech (vacana); and the joy (sukhada) of being the supreme (vara) rasika of the intrinsic (nija) meaning (bhAva) of music - the notes (svara), the rhythm (laya) and the lyrics (gIta) - that is filled with rasAnubhava (sa-rasa) of surpassing brilliance/splendor (rucira-tara). Oh mighty (mahitE) mother (tAyE), please protect (porE) my benefactor (dAtA), the maharAja (nAtha) of mysUru (mahiSura), SrI kRshNa rAjEndra oDeyAru the fourth (nAlvaDi) at all times (sadA)!

caraNam
shyAmE sakala bhuvana sArvabhaumE shashi maNDala madhyagE
(mAtE)

Oh dark-hued one (SyAmE), the empress (sArvabhaumE) [3] of the entire (sakala) collection of worlds/universes (bhuvana), you occupy the center (madhyagE) [4] of the never-waning center of the 16th phase of the ob/circle (maNDala) of the moon (SaSi).

FOOTNOTES
[1] Although she is refred to as having been born to King malayadhvaja, mInAkshi appeared from the sacrificial fire during a putrakAmEShThi yAga performed by the childless king
[2] harikESa is the mudra of the composer
[3] sArvabhaumE already means empress of the world - so sakala bhuvana sArvabhaumE seems like tautology
[4] I am translating the last part of the caraNam contextually - I do not know the significance of the SaSi maNDala

EDITED with Keerthi's explanations/corrections.
Last edited by rshankar on 22 May 2010, 18:42, edited 2 times in total.

radhikashetty

Post by radhikashetty »

Here is a clip of Mythili Prakash's presentation of this varnam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odWeUF6_XhY

nehab

Post by nehab »

Thank You Ravi Shankar sir for posting the meaning.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

[1] Although she is referred to as having been born to King malayadhvaja, mInAkshi appeared from the sacrificial fire during a putrakAmEShThi yAga performed by the childless king
[3] sArvabhaumE already means emperor of the world - so sakala bhuvana sArvabhaumE seems like tautology
[4] I am translating the last part of the caraNam contextually - I do not know the significance of the SaSi maNDala

1. It should be sanjAtE, not saMjatE; strictly speaking (typing?) it should be saJjAtE. And sanjAta doesn't only mean 'born to', it can also mean 'born for' i.e, in the caturthI vibhakti sense.

3. sakala-bhuvana refers to all the worlds - the caturdasha-bhuvana-s, Hence she is sovereign of all the worlds. No tautology there.

4. shashi-maNDala is the orb of the moon, and it is said that while the moon has 15 phases in the ephemeral waxing and waning cycles, there is a sixteenth kalA (phase) - the SODaSI kalA is the most resplendent, never-waning phase, which has the Goddess enshrined in the orb of the moon as if she were yantra-bound in it. the moniker 'Candra-mandala-madhyage' is seen in the cAmunDAmba aStOttara shata nAmAvaLi, and is mostly taken from the lalitA-sahasranAma.

Similarly there are references to viSNu being enshrined in the sUryamandala.

p.s - nAlvaDi - nalvadI K.R.WoDeyar is K.R W the fourth (IV). Others words from this set are immaDi, mummaDi (twofold, threefold). these existed in old tamil parlance,but are now unfamiliar due to disuse.

p.p.s - rshankar, very good translation for someone who claims his kannaDa and sanskRt are shaky! :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Keerthi - thank you for the explanations...makes perfect sense - will make the necessary edits to my post.

Neha - I left out mahitE in the translation, so please take the edited version as more complete than the version I posted first.

ganeshpv

Post by ganeshpv »

Ravi,

first three lines of Chitta swara sahitya is in praise (adjectives) of Nalmadi krishnaraja Wodeyar not Chamundeshwari. "DaTa" is in pullinga (male gender) and not in female gender (it would have been DaTe).

dAtA sarasa ruciratara svara laya gIta sukhada nija bhAva rasika vara
dAtA mahishUra nAtha nAlvaDi shrI krSNa rAjEndrara tAyE
sadA pore mahite harikEsha manOharE sadayE
(mAtE)

DaTa.. till ...naTa praises Nalmadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar. Up until this point, all the adjectives are in male gender. Then the poet asks goddess to protect such a king. Rest of chitthaswara (from taYe sada pore...) is in female gender, thus addressing the Goddess.

BTW... I really like your "HariKeSa manohare" translation. I learnt HarikeSa as the kavyanama of Mutthiah Bhagavathar.

Ganesh.

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

ganeshpv wrote: BTW... I really like your "HariKeSa manohare" translation. I learnt HarikeSa as the kavyanama of Mutthiah Bhagavathar.

Ganesh.
Indeed. Imagining a golden-haired Siva is quite twenty-first century!

-Then Paanan

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ganesh - thank you for the clarification - makes perfect sense. I will edit my post accordingly.
Siva is described as golden-complexioned (ponnAr mEniyan), with red locks (Sen SaDaiyan) - I was going for the reddish-gold (tapta kAncana) hue with 'hari' (which can mean 'reddish brown, brown, tawny, pale yellow, yellow, fallow')! While 'harikEsa' is the ankita of Sri HKMB, like Sri MD, and unlike Sri tyAgarAja, he does use it as a word intrinsic to the lyrics with a meaning other than his ankita, to refer to Siva (as in harikESa kumAra in the composition on gaNESa, or harikESa manOhari etc.), as well as to the village, harikESanallUr (when he calls it harikESa pura).

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

OK - I can't edit my original post anymore, so here is the corrected version with Ganesh's inputs incorporated:

pallavi
mAtE malayadhvaja pANDya sanjAtE mAtanga vadana guha
(mAtE)

Oh mother of the elephant (mAtanga)-faced (vadana) one and kArtikEya (guha), and the daughter (sanjAtE) [1] of the pANDya king malayadhvaja.

anupallavi
shAtOdari shankari cAmuNDEshvari candrakalAdhari tAyE gaurI
(mAtE)

Oh mother (tAyE), who is fair complexioned (gauri) and slender-waisted (SATOdari)! You are the creator (kari) of auspiciousness (SaM), oh durgA (cAmuNDESvari), who wears (dhari) the crescent moon (candarakalA)!

muktaayi swara saahityam
dAtA sarasa ruciratara svara laya gIta sukhada nija bhAva rasika vara dAtA mahishUra nAtha nAlvaDi shrI
(mAtE)

Oh mighty (mahitE) mother (tAyE), the compassionate (sadayE) beguiler (manOharE) of the golden/red (hari)-tressed (kESa) [2] Siva, please protect (porE) my benefactor (dAtA), the maharAja (nAtha) of mysUru (mahiSura), SrI kRshNa rAjEndra oDeyAru the fourth (nAlvaDi) at all times (sadA), for he is the benefactor (dAtA) who possesses skilled (catura) expertise (nipuNa) in all (sakala) art-forms (kalA); he has an open/easily obtainable/simple (sulabha) heart (hRdaya); his speech (vacana) is sweet (madhura) ; and he is the supreme/eminent (vara) rasika of the intrinsic (nija) meaning (bhAva) and joy (sukhada) of music - the notes (svara), the rhythm (laya) and the lyrics (gIta) - that is filled with rasAnubhava (sa-rasa) of unsurpassing brilliance/splendor (rucira-tara)!

caraNam
shyAmE sakala bhuvana sArvabhaumE shashi maNDala madhyagE
(mAtE)

Oh dark-hued one (SyAmE), the empress (sArvabhaumE) [3] of the entire (sakala) collection of worlds/universes (bhuvana), you occupy the center (madhyagE) [4] of the never-waning center of the 16th phase of the ob/circle (maNDala) of the moon (SaSi).

FOOTNOTES
[1] Although she is refred to as having been born to King malayadhvaja, mInAkshi appeared from the sacrificial fire during a putrakAmEShThi yAga performed by the childless king
[3] sArvabhaumE already means empress of the world - so sakala bhuvana sArvabhaumE seems like tautology

EDITED with Keerthi's explanations/corrections and Ganesh's input/corrections.

Sriram SL

Post by Sriram SL »

Hi all,

I just noticed that one line is missing in the muktayi swara sahityam:
vividha mata samaya samarasa dAtA which means 'He maintains equality among all religions/creeds'.

Hence the entire sahitya becomes
dAtA sakala kalA nipuNa catura dAtA
vividha mata samaya samarasa dAtA
sulabha hrdaya madhura vacana dAtA
sarasa ruciratara svara laya gIta sukhada nija bhAva rasika vara dAtA
mahishUra nAtha nAlvaDi shrI
(mAtE)

Regards,
Sriram SL

Athira Sankar

Post by Athira Sankar »

Namaskaram! i believe these above discussions had taken place long back. I had a clarification regarding the meaning of swara sahithya "Data sakala kala nipuna....." is the lyrics referring to the goddess who is a kala nipuna or the Mysore king who qualities the composer is mentioning here. Kindly confirm.

Thank you

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I think that in this svara sAhitya passage, Sri HKMB asks for the mighty (mahite) mother (tAye), the delighter (manOhare) of Siva (harikESa), to always (sadA) protect (pore) the King (nAtha) of mysUru (mahiSUra, nAlvaTi SrI kRshNa rAjEndra, who is described as being the benefactor (dAtA) adept and skillful (nipuNa, catura) in the practice of all (sakala) art forms (kala), who is equally (samarasa) accepting of different (vividha) thoughts/ideas (mata), etc. etc., etc.

Lakshmi Rekha

Post by Lakshmi Rekha »

Athira Sankar wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 23:21 Namaskaram! i believe these above discussions had taken place long back. I had a clarification regarding the meaning of swara sahithya "Data sakala kala nipuna....." is the lyrics referring to the goddess who is a kala nipuna or the Mysore king who qualities the composer is mentioning here. Kindly confirm.

Thank you

Hello,
Regarding this query, These lines are describing the greatness of the then Mysore king Naalvadi Sri Krishnarajendra Wodeyar, and goes on to say oh the mother of this king always protect us

archana501

Post by archana501 »

Lakshman Ragde Sir
If you have notation of mathe malayadhwaja. Please share. My address is shekar.archana501 @gmail.com.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

It is sent.

Anuradhasreenivas

Post by Anuradhasreenivas »

Namaskaram sir,
I need the lyrics and notation for this Kanas sari varnam. Thank you.
Regards,
Anuradha

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

It has been sent.

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

https://youtu.be/I5rWNdMKiXQ

In this Bharatanatyam performance, I also noticed that their is sahithyams for the ettugada swaras that come after charanam.

Can anyone help with the swara sahithyams for ettugada swaras

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Corrections welcome. These caraNasvara sAhityAs are not found in the published books of Muttiah Bhagavatar.

1: bAlE jagadoLu mOhana rUpiNi mandasmita mAnita suguNa
2: Isha manOhari amba manasija shatakOTo tama vibhUSaNi mAmava
3: umA nidhi dhyuti rAjarAjEshvari gAna vinOdini shrta vadani
lalita vasanta suranjita padayugaLayuta nigamanamita nAda vinOdini

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

Thanks much lakshman ji.
Lakshman wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 19:26 These caraNasvara sAhityAs are not found in the published books of Muttiah Bhagavatar.
Yes, looking at the style of Kannada used in charana swarams differ from the actual daru varnam.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

As I understand it, Dr. Padma Subramaniam had these added on by a Kannada scholar (name escapes me) - corrections welcome.

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

Thanks for info, shankar ji.

balajij

Post by balajij »

Notation for this varnam is available at https://carnaticnotations.blogspot.com/ ... bel/Khamas