MD's gaNESa ghanarAga pancaratna kritis - Carnatica

Place to review recorded music that you have heard.
rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I picked this CD up when I attended the concert of the all women ensemble a few weeks ago (the album 'introduces Kum Rajna Swaminathan - one of the prompters for me to pick it up). It is a beautiful album with very concise and erudite introductions to each composition by Dr. V. V. Srivastava. The songs are rendered by the Carnatica Brothers, Sri Sasikiran and Sri Ganesh (nATTai and gauLa), Sri Kunnakudy BMK (ArabhI), Sri R. Suryaprakash (varALI) and Sri V. Pradeep Kumar (SrI). However, unless I am very much mistaken, there seems to be some bare-faced effrontery in the rendition of the last song - Dr. Srivastava clearly states that it is important to start the pallavi with the words 'mUlAdhAra cakra' and not 'SrI mulAdhAra cakra', to maintain the prAsa with the anupallavi which starts with 'mUla agyAna', and almost immediately, Sri Pradeep Kumar sings the song commencing with the words 'SrI mulAdhArA' :lol: Since this was a recorded album (I do not think that it is a recording of live performances), either the comment by Dr. Srivastava could have been edited out, or, the composition could have been re-recorded in the correct fashion. I think Dr. Srivastava would be well within his rights if he felt upset. (I listened to the introduction and the track a few times to make sure that I had heard and understood this correctly, but if I am not, I am open to being corrected.)

I also did find pradhAyaka instead of pradAyaka and SOdara instead of sOdara a bit grating as well.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

ravi
I just googled to find out 5 krithis of ganesha ghana rAgA
shri mahagaNapathim -nAttai
Sri mahAgaNapati -gowlai
ganarAjena -Arabhi
LambodarAya - Varali
MoolAdhara chakra -Sri
Last edited by rajeshnat on 19 Apr 2009, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Dr. Srivastava clearly states that it is important to start the pallavi with the words 'mUlAdhAra cakra' and not 'SrI mulAdhAra cakra', to maintain the prAsa with the anupallavi which starts with 'mUla agyAna', and almost immediately, Sri Pradeep Kumar sings the song commencing with the words 'SrI mulAdhArA' :lol:
:lol:

baboosh

Post by baboosh »

vasanthakokilam wrote:
Dr. Srivastava clearly states that it is important to start the pallavi with the words 'mUlAdhAra cakra' and not 'SrI mulAdhAra cakra', to maintain the prAsa with the anupallavi which starts with 'mUla agyAna', and almost immediately, Sri Pradeep Kumar sings the song commencing with the words 'SrI mulAdhArA' :lol:
:lol:
But I heard MSS in her music academy concerts excerpts starting with Sri.Muladhara

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

All the elders; MSS, RK.Srikantan etc have sung it this way; probably because the books also notate it this way, but the songs MUlAdhArachakra and dum durgE in sriranjani ought to start without the 'sri' which is to be appended at the end of one Avarta of the pallavi.. For an illustration see DakShiNAmurthE in SankarAbharaNam; where Sri is added at the end.

This will preserve the all important prasa relationship between pallavi and anupallavi; so close to the composers' hearts..

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Keerthi - You have explained what Dr. Srivastava said very well!

mohan

Post by mohan »

Is this grouping of 5 Dikshitar krithis in the ghana ragas on Lord Ganesha an arbitrary or recent one? I understand Dikshitar has composed about 27 krithis on Ganesha, 16 of which are often attributed to the Ganesha shrine in Tiruvarur.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Can anybody tell me where I can find recordings of these ganEsha ghanarAga pancharatna kritis? Or, if any member has, can you please upload them? I have never heard this set.

mohan

Post by mohan »

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

mohan wrote:Is this grouping of 5 Dikshitar krithis in the ghana ragas on Lord Ganesha an arbitrary or recent one? I understand Dikshitar has composed about 27 krithis on Ganesha, 16 of which are often attributed to the Ganesha shrine in Tiruvarur.
Great question, Mohan - the CD did not give me a satisfactory explanation. I wonder if Vidya has the answer.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

This grouping is definitely recent.. Only two of the five songs are found in the SSP.. Like the psuedo- NArada pancaratna; which thyagaraja definitely didn't mean to comprise a set..

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

It is said that the 'Dum' in 'Sri Dum Durgey' in Dikshitar's Sriranjani Kriti is supposed to be sung without any sangati-s as it is part of a mantra. Could anyone explain?

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

rshankar wrote:Dr. V. V. Srivastava
I think you meant Dr V V Srivatsa, Secretary of Madras Music Academy, and scholar on MD kritis.
Last edited by ksrimech on 04 Feb 2010, 02:53, edited 1 time in total.