Ambujam Vedantham's VarNam CD and Book Release

Place to review recorded music that you have heard.
arasi

Post by arasi »

Last month, Ambujam Vedantham, a well known teacher and vocalist in Tiruchi has come out with a CD and a book of her varNam compositions. She has regularly given programs and lec-dems with her students in Chennai and elsewhere. Several years ago, she had published cassettes on some rare krutis of the Trinity.
TRS, in his foreward to the book praises her command over the gait of her varNams and her svara kalpana. Says the svarap poruttams in her varNams have an astonishingly high level of artistry.

For those interested in her work,
Contact phone numbers are: 2352411 and 2773887 in Tiruchi
24613736 and 94444 93702 in Chennai
Last edited by arasi on 16 Sep 2009, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.

Preetvardhan

Post by Preetvardhan »

I had purchased the same and before buying I had already heard about her and the rare krithis. Specifically liked Tiruna Loni - Saveri and Sarijesi - Tivravahini.
I have been checking if anyone is singing these songs. But I find none to try these. they are all working over time to deliver the same old Purvi Kalyani and Kurai Ondrum Illai, Chandrashekara, English Note etc.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Preetvardhan,
All in good time! We modern composers have to wait our turn to be noticed by musicians and for their including our songs in their concerts. I heard Jayamangala Krishnamani once sing the malayamarutam varnam in her concert. Very nice.
I am glad you bought the book and the CD and especially enjoyed listening to a couple of her varNams.