Compositions of Veena L. Raja Rao

Place to review recorded music that you have heard.
knandago2001

Compositions of Veena L. Raja Rao

Post by knandago2001 »

Even during his lifetime, Ganakalabhushana Veena L. Raja Rao was distinguished as a vainika, gayaka, vaggeyakara and a musicologist of repute (http://www.veenarajarao.com/biography). A Memorial Foundation set up to honor his memory and contributions to carnatic music has been active in celebrating the birth centenary of the mahavidwan and has released CDs featuring several of his musical compositions. I recently had the pleasure of listening to two albums produced in the series and heartily commend the foundation for their sincere efforts in propagating the vision of Vidwan L. Raja Rao.

Sri Purushottama kriti maale – vol I

Vid. Mysore Smt. Nagamani Srinath (vocal)
Vid. Nandini Rao (vocal support)
Vid. Charulatha Ramanujam (violin)
Vid. Aanoor Ananthakrishna Sharma (mridangam)
Vid. Narayana Murthy (ghatam)
Vid. M. Gururaj (morsing)
That the album has been produced with great care is evident from the variety of compositions presented by Vidushi Nagamani Srinath and the thoughtful background introduction in kannada. The title of the album highlights vidwan Raja Rao’s ankita “Purushottama” and the repertoire featured includes a swarajati (hamsanandi - adi), a tana varna (mohana kalyani - adi), hara tanaya (nata - adi), daya vaaga (bhuvana gandhari - adi), sri tripura (lalita – khanda chapu), abhayavittu (nadabrahma - rupaka), sreenivasam (dharmavati - rupaka), varamosaga (dhanyasi - adi), nandagopa (kamboji – adi 2 kale), and a tillana (nattaikurinji – adi). Sumptuous fare indeed! Lalita and Kamboji have been taken up for elaborate treatment and special mention must be made of the sensitive accompaniment by the supporting artistes who have acquitted themselves very creditably. The kriti in dharmavati has been composed by Sri. Bhairavi Lakshminaranappa (1878 – 1934), father of Vidwan L. Raja Rao and disciple of Mysore Veena Seshanna.

Compositions of Ganakalabhushana Veena L. Raja Rao

Vid. Veena Kinhal (Veena)
Vid. Anoor Ananthakrishna Sharma (mridangam)
Vid. Narayana Murthy (ghatam)
Vid. M. Gururaj (morsing)
Daughter and disciple of Vidwan L. Raja Rao, Vidushi Kinhal is the proud torch bearer of the family tradition in music, performing all over the world and teaching veena in the USA. She has dedicated the album to the revered memory of her beloved father. Of the ten compositions featured in the album, sreenivasam (dharmavati – rupaka): the gem inherited from her grandfather Sri. Bhairavi Lakshminaranappa finds a place of honor in the program with the raga alapana, tana, and swarakalpana segments being particularly noteworthy. Other items include a swarajati (hamsanandi – adi), a tana varna (udayaravichandrika – adi), hara tanaya (nata – adi), saraswati vanaja (saraswati – adi), karuninchi nannu (kedaram – adi), rajatagirivasa (pasupatipriya - adi), sarasaaksha (hindolam – rupaka), seshaadrivasa (kathanakutuhalam – adi) and a tillana (khamas – adi). The compilation is a connoiseur’s delight and a truly enjoyable listening experience made possible by the admirable support of the accompanists.

The CDs released by the Veena L. Raja Rao Foundation may be obtained at 49, 4th cross Rd., NR Colony Bangalore 560019 or by sending an e-mail to the rajaraofoundation@gmail.com
Last edited by knandago2001 on 03 Aug 2009, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Nandagopal,
Thank you !

I would like to add some visual effect with the following 2 pictures of the CD covers :

Last edited by Sreeni Rajarao on 06 Aug 2009, 02:53, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nandagopal,
Thanks for the detailed information. I have requested the CD and look forward to listening to it.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

These CDs are now available for online purchase at Kalakendra.com (Thanks to Forum member K S Sudhakar of Swathigroup!):

http://www.kalakendra.com/shopping/comp ... -2070.html

Sreeni Rajarao

Re: Compositions of Veena L. Raja Rao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I have finally managed to work on a project that was on my list for nearly 10 years!

I have uploaded the first of three albums on my list to YouTube!

Veena Raja Rao compositions performed by Veena Kinhal - the one dear departed friend Nandagopal has written about in post # 1

https://youtu.be/INuQk8ZSxbQ

If anyone would like mp3 of these albums, please contact me. I will be happy to share them!

thanjavooran

Re: Compositions of Veena L. Raja Rao

Post by thanjavooran »

Sreeni Rajarao
Wonderful !
10 yrs efforts yielded a very successful and more useful result.
Wish you good luck. New year greetings.
Thanjavooran
30 12 2018