jagjit singh passes away

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
gobilalitha

jagjit singh passes away

Post by gobilalitha »

Renowned ghazal singer, Jagjit Singh, 70, passed away at 8 am at Lilavati Hospital, Mumbai, where he had been admitted to on September 23 after suffering from a brain hemorrhage. It was a voice that mesmerized a nation with a deep brooding sadness and the lyricism of Urdu. Along with his wife, Chitra Singh, he made a name from himself in the 70s and 80s as a leading ‘non-filmi’ voice in the recording industry. However, Bollywood did import his skills selectively over the years. One that comes to mind is Tum Itna Joh Muskura Rahi Ho from Arth. The image of a recently-divorced Shabana Azmi holding back her tears on returning to a cold apartment, while Raj Kiran strums a guitar and breaks into a song became a theme song of sorts for the bittersweet tribulations of urban life.
personal tragedies have affected his health to a great extent May his soul rest in peace :(

ganeshkant

Re: jagjit singh passes away

Post by ganeshkant »

Indeed it is a great loss to to the entire music fraternity and all music lovers.I have enjoyed his gazals oozing through the public address system in cold & chilly winter evenings during my walk to the main gate from my stand in PragatimaidAn,N.Delhi.The songs from Arth,the music score was also by him are special always and will remain.The other song jhuki jhuki si nazar is close to my heart.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

A great loss to music lovers.

His music is warm, and gives peace and calm to the mind...

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

May his soul rest in peace.

rAma sumira rAma sumir yahi tErO kAj hai -
supnE jyOn dhan pichAn kAhe par karat mAn,
bArUkI bhIt jaisEn vasudhAkau rAj hai

This is the Gununank authored poem, Jagdishji sung and I am listening to that.

varsha

Post by varsha »

He sang Babul Mora well too ( With Wife Chitra Singh) . A version in the same league as KL Saigal's and Bhimsen Joshi's .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWd04tWzBNc
babul mora naihar chuuto hi jaaye .. chaar kahaar mil, mori Doliiyaa uthaaye
O father, I depart forcibly from my home ..Four men gathered to lift my palanquin {the wedding/funeral analogy here}

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Sorry to hear about Jagjeet Singh. He had a very beautiful voice. I was just listening to his Bhajan the other day. It is a big loss to the Music world. May his soul rest in peace. Sympathies to the family.