aayar paadi maaligaiyil

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
sung

aayar paadi maaligaiyil

Post by sung »

What is the shruti in which S P Balasubramanian sings "aayar paadi maaligaiyil" song? Is it F? Thanks.

sung

Re: aayar paadi maaligaiyil

Post by sung »

sung wrote:What is the shruti in which S P Balasubramanian sings "aayar paadi maaligaiyil" song? Is it F? Thanks.
Probably the details are not enough. Let me provide a youtube link to the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R6Ifk2FrZI
I hope this helps. Is the singer's shruti F? Thanks.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Yes, The shadjam is in F.
You can play this in conjunction http://www.karnatik.com/shrutibox/F3.WAV to check.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

It is A IHO

sung

Post by sung »

I assume both mahavishnu and VK Raman are very knowledgeable individuals. F is 4 kattai and A is 6 kattai. I wonder how there can be such a big difference in recognizing the correct shruti.

When I play A shruti in conjunction with the song, I don't seem to feel as much a concordance as I do with F shruti. But, I don't have enough experience yet with this.

I really want to know the correct shruti. Can other knowledgeable individuals also please try and post what they feel as the correct shruti? Thanks.

sung

Post by sung »

I just thought the following might be useful in making sure of the shruti.

The first few swaras go like this (from what I understand from another website):
aa - yar
S 'N S
paa di
P G M
(where 'N is in the lower octave, while the others are in the normal octave). And, the swaras are those of sankarabharanam.

This might help to check whether it is still A or F, or something else. Any help is deeply appreciated.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

I am quite certain that it is in F.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I agree with mahavishnu..
It is F. But I am not sure about the Raga. I see both the madhymas are used. Can't assign a name for the
dvimadhyama raga!

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Yes, CML. It is not based on a classical carnatic raga. It has both gandharams and multiple nishadams as well. It sounds like kurinji/neelambari inspired, which could give the illusion of sankarabharanam.

Having said all that, I think we have generated enough arguments for why this thread belongs in the light music category ;)

sung

Post by sung »

I was going to write, 'Sorry. I am a new member and didn't realize it. Thank you for pointing it out and in the future I will take care of it.' Noticed that the thread had already been moved to Light Classical. The editors appear to be on top of things. Thanks.