Venkatesh Kumar sings on feb 18th

Classical Music of North India
coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

HM rasikas in chennai.
please look up Thursdays THE HINDU MetroPlus section.
Venkatesh Kumar is scheduled to sing in Chennai on Feb 18th 6 30 pm.

Here is a lovely and rare shyam kalyan sung by him for AIR, twenty years ago

http://download.yousendit.com/9F3C13AC1E76131D

Hope to see you all there.
(Tickets are priced Rs 100-200-300)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It is a pity it is in a huge venue. Completely unsuitable, in my opinion, for Indian classical music.

But yes, I'll be joining you :)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

The huge venue is for the crowd that zakir husain will bring in after the vocal concert.
Lucky Venkatesh Kumar !!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Ah, yes... though he is a tabla artist that I don't mind hearing :)

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

what, 'though,he is a tabla artist,i don't mind hearing him" . hear him, you will be transported to a world of eternal bliss. he will
produce all the sounds of ahuman voice in his tabla. you are fortunate to hear him. best wishes gobilalitha

raga

Post by raga »

Can anyone share their experiences about venkatesh kumar's concert?Surely everyone enjoyed that.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

It was a fine concert indeed.Nick dropped out , but Vijay and sbala made it.
The Concert started 20 minutes late and probably ate into Venkateskumar's time.
Satish Vyas, son of CR Vyas , who started the Gunidas Sammelans 30 years ago , gave a brief introduction to the ideas and ideals behind the series.
Sriram Parasuram introduced the artists
But one could be forgiven to assume that Artists know best how to conduct Concerts.
The Volume was loud(actually deafening).
And the organisers did everything to keep pushing Venkatesh Kumar to finish within time limits-as though everyone had a flight to catch.The pressure was obvious, with a star as starry as Zakir scheduled to perform next.
But then this has been Venkateshkumar's Year.
Into his 50s , he is being recognised all over the country .And for good reason.
The opener -Puriya Kalyan - was an elaborate essay .The development of the raga was silken smooth .The Cheez he chose has been a favourite of mine for decades- one can hear it here in a classic radio recording.
http://rapidshare.com/files/93027552/Ba ... yan_01.mp3
O Ban Lagee
Venkateshkumar does model himself on the style of Rajaguru and he was truly an inspired singer , this evening.
Even while being prodded to close with a bhajan - I caught his response on mike " Bhajanaeya , na na and he went on to sing a scintillating Sohini and abruptly ended the concert..
His gwalior gharana links peeked in through the delightful thumri in Misra Khamaj, which had a lot of sensitive movements.
Backstage I congratulated him and recalled his concerts next to my door at my home town.The timless natureof his concerts at our Omkar Matha.
He looked as innocent as a Child being cheated out of his time on stage.
Chand Ittenreee- Time agalaillrappa , bare avasara madthare....
I invited him to sing for a set of people who would love to hear an artist go on and on ...
Who knows ?
May be someday in the future , we will have his concert starting at 10 PM and finishing off early in the morning say 2 am !
Covering both Night ragas and early morning ragas.
I did not catch the names of the accompanists , but presume they were brought in from Mumbai.They too were top Class.
Last edited by coolkarni on 20 Feb 2008, 05:09, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Nick spent the afternoon holding a post-operation cat, and the evening trying to prevent a very groggy cat hitting her head on the floor as she staggered and fell, and the night trying to keep calm a cat that was now desperate to visit the garden and the boyfriend who was meowing outside.

It was not a lot of fun. Especially with a migraine headache (glad I missed the excess volume).

gobilalitha: yes, I have to admit that I find tabla rather boring compared to mridangam, and usually get the felling that they just go on, and on, and on.... Possibly because I have less appreciation of what they play.

Zakir Hussein is an exception, and I also appreciate that he understands and complies with the carnatic thani format when playing with Carnatic musicians. Another, who I have seen give a solo concert, is Kishan Maharaj, to whom your comments could equally apply.

A Hindustani house concert would be great. Maybe even one without any amplification!

I'm glad you all enjoyed.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Thanks to Kulkarniji for alerting me to the opportunity! A fine evening indeed despite the annoyances mentioned above. As the artiste commenced with notes in the mandra sthayi I grimaced at the thought of another Yaman but the moment the rishabh was sounded, I lit up! Coolji confirmed that it was indeed not Yaman but Puriya Kalyan - Gamanashrama of the Carnatic Melakaratha. A delightful rendition full of feeling with a detailed alaap and crystal clear taans. Although an elaborate sargam was missed and this songlist obsessed CM rasika found Sohni after Puriya Dhanashree a little odd, it was a wholesome experience completely devoid of gimmicks...

Unfortunately that was more than can be said of the performance that followed with Zakir working up all manner of artifices from roaring monsoon clouds to trains caeering along to the accompaniment of wolf whistles...it was an entertaining enough experience but only in the lowest sense of the term. I really wish the organizers had cut the tabla down to size and given more stage time to Shri Venkatesh Kumar...

It would be great if the artiste can be convinced to perform for our series!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Perhaps ZH could cut the showmanship, at which he also excels, a bit, and give us more conventional classical music. However, he has a niche, now, and I guess this is what his audiences are expecting when he plays solo.

Was it a full house? Was everyone really waiting for ZH?

I do hate this VIP thing: nobody waves watches at speech-givers in carnatic concerts.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Most of the people were clearly there for Zakir...crowd perceptibly increased for the 2nd concert...but it was not a full house strangely - 60-70% I'd say. Probably wasn't publicized well enough

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

trains caeering along
Vijay
That is a formal mode of presentation called the Railaa.
And Yes I missed talking about the lack of elaborate sargams .But whatever he sang ... That was Jackfruit dipped in honey.
Nick ! It was half Full.But the hall is quite a big one.
Last edited by coolkarni on 20 Feb 2008, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Most of the people were clearly there for Zakir
and what was sickening was when the announcer introduced the first artist , the hall was quiet.And when he went on to announce the second artist, the claps started at the very mention of Zakir.It was so impolite.
Last edited by coolkarni on 20 Feb 2008, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Coolji thanks for the clarification...yes, I do remember the Relaa from the tabla lessons I took for SUPW (Seriously Unproductive Work as it turned out to be given that I spent 7 years without getting the hang of even basic teental!) in school...but while my teacher was considerably less gifted that ZAkir Bhai, he did not feel the need to produce a hoot with the right in order to demonstrate the Relaa! Or, for that matter, the sound of Lord "Sheever's" conch to round off a Tihai...

vijay

Post by vijay »

True Coolji, of the many discourtesies meted out to Shri Venkatesh Kumar, that was one of the worst...and that too from a largely upper/upper middle class audience...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

The New Indian Express has a page on ZH today --- with no mention of the first part.

Not ZH's fault of course. I did rather enjoy the bit about his reaction to badly behaved audiences.

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

I was a few days ago trying to attend basantotsav(failed to get in.. show sold out!). On a particular day, it was ghulam ali(ghazal singer) and kishori amonkar one after the other. On the next day, all newspapers quoted elaborately abt ghulam ali but hardly made a mention of kishori's recital

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Venkatesh Kumar faired better at the hands of The Hindu

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

let us abandon the thought that all newspapers reporters are heaven sent, we are our own judges.newspaper reporting requires all kinds of jugglery and priorities gobilalitha

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

And even what is written is then subject to the red pen of the sub-editor, then the editor.

Many a journalist can tell of how the entire meaning of their report has been changed because someone who didn't know what it was about had to reduce the word count.

arasi

Post by arasi »

very true, Nick. Been there before, eons ago:)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Although an elaborate sargam was missed
Vijay
Make it up with Bhimsen Joshi's effort at the Academy two decades ago.
I was on the dias , barely a few feet away from this phenomenon of a vocalist.
http://rapidshare.com/files/96183163/Bh ... Kalyan.mp3
It was such a memorable experience-Veins showing up at the throat , like those of a nadaswaram player.... An "Asura Sadhaka" indeed.
Last edited by coolkarni on 01 Mar 2008, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Thank you sir!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Vijay
Sargams were not the only thing we missed that night.
Here are somevof those features -courtesy avichinnu - from a home concert in shimoga.
a juicy tharana in Durga
http://rapidshare.com/files/97871664/WS_10004.WMA

remember to realign these in your folders based on track numbers and you will have one of the finest recent home concert recordings of Venkateshkumar-
And you will get the pain in his statement ,backstage after the concert, to me.
Chhanda Ittenree- Taimu Sakaglillrappa - en avasara madtharappa.
But for the timebeing i will keep you guessing about the contents of this concert - except to say that it too starts with a major Puriya Kalyan.
Last edited by coolkarni on 08 Mar 2008, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.

sbala

Post by sbala »

Kji,
You talk of misses but I keep thinking about what I got that day. It was one of the most memorable concerts that I've attended. If not for the presence of distiguished personalities and connoisseurs like you and Vijay, I would have started dancing! On second thoughts, I don't know if I was well-behaved as I was completely under Venkateshji's spell.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Thanks Coolji...have to wait until Monday for download though....

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

Youtube link of venkates kumar singing an awesome vachana in durga(composer allama prabhu)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aqcMtF5l1Ts&feature=related
you can listen to purya kalyan and a devaranama as well
Last edited by matterwaves on 28 Mar 2008, 02:41, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

wow !!!
May God Bless You ....matterwaves

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 28 Mar 2008, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

coolkarni, due to your numerous references and snippets, I have come to know about VK. I am not shy to admit that but for you I would not have known what a great singer he is. thanks. a rava kesari packet is sent b y jet flight from singapore.gobilalitha

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

thanks coolkarniyavare... i have much enjoyed reading your wrteups as much as your rapishare postings( esp KVNs).. i have heard venkates kumar sing a devaranama 'toredu jeevisabahude hari ninna charanagala' with such bhava that would turn an harderened atheist to a haribhakta. Could you please post it if you have?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Gobilalitha
I remember the days when patronage for Hindusthani was so minimal even after I managed to convince Srkris for a separate section for HM.The first few months were so disappointing .
So it has always been my pleasure to put up these tracks.
matterwaves,,thats a commercial rendering so I wont take chances.Will see if I have a concert version.
Will upload A priceless track of vachanas sung by Basavraj rajaguru.I can bring in some more delightful stuff from the likes of Shivraj Gavai and Siddaram Jambaladinni-singing vachanas.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

Magnificent durga by Pt VK in that youtube snippet Indeed. The aalap was missing as matterwaves mentioned.

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

The durga piece was rare for me to listen lot of lyrics in HM style. Not in lighter style any means. Strong HM flavour.
Does Pt VK visit and sing outside India?

vijay

Post by vijay »

Yes it is indeed great to see more activity n the Hindustani threads. Coolji thanks and do keep them coming in!

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

Hi suvarna,
The person who posted the youtube video kindly passed me the whole of the audio version of it. I have uploaded the same in the link below
http://www.sendspace.com/file/lz3ux6

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

matterwaves wrote:Hi suvarna,
The person who posted the youtube video kindly passed me the whole of the audio version of it. I have uploaded the same in the link below
http://www.sendspace.com/file/lz3ux6
So nice of you matterwaves. I am downloading with all the glee. Thank you very much.

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

vijay wrote:Yes it is indeed great to see more activity n the Hindustani threads. Coolji thanks and do keep them coming in!
Indeed. From Cool-ji's posts, I could get to know of two highly meritorious HM artists Pt VK and Pt Shivanand Patil.
Great singing. The singing of Pt VK reminds me of DV Paluskar. Is he also from Dharvad?
Why is'nt there a thing like Dhawad Gharana like gwalior or jaipur, with so many great artists from this land? or is it already there and I am ignorant of that?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Dharwar is indeed one of the hubs of Kirana Gharana.the linkage goes like this
Abdul karim Khan -who came down to Mysore- his disciple Sawai gandharv who was from Kundagol - a place few Kilometres away from Hubli-Dharwar---> Bhimsen Joshi , Gangubai Hangal ....
Venkateshkumar is more remniscent of Basavraj Rajaguru and yes you were spot on in comparing his voice to Paluskars.
VK teaches at the Karnatak University, which is in idyllic settings, in Dharwar.Other great artists from that area like Kumar Gandharv and Mansoor belong to different lineages though.
I will introduce Sripad Hegde and Kaivalya Kumar too , in a few days time.
Vinayak Torvi - you must have heard him.
In any case I do not have any non-commercial recordings of his.
Last edited by coolkarni on 30 Mar 2008, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

Dharwad – that magical gateway between malenaadu and bayalu seeme
http://www.hinduonnet.com/folio/fo9811/98110160.htm

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Nandagopal
You make me homesick !!

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

knandago2001 wrote:Dharwad – that magical gateway between malenaadu and bayalu seeme
http://www.hinduonnet.com/folio/fo9811/98110160.htm
Indeed. There is something sweet in the 'Mitti" of Dharwad. My doubt is that they mix this mitty in that "Peda"
they make in Dharwad too. These guys singing gives me the taste of that "Peda".

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

the track in post 33 of rajaguru has another brilliant patdip.the second half is pure honey.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

hsuvarna
that mitti produces a kind of kannada that opens one heart to the limitless beauties of relationships .
wolag banree sahebra.erdu dina iddhogralla .namgoo thamp annisthadey.haada hacchalenu...
:)
you are so right.it is the soil there,that brings out the beauty in the simple pleasures of life.
Last edited by coolkarni on 31 Mar 2008, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.

vijayathanikar

Post by vijayathanikar »

hello.. i'm new to this forum... i'm a very great fan of pt.venkatesh kumar..and i've accompanied him on tanpura once or twice..

great see so many people posting their views abt him..

and tracks posted here are expired..

can u people tell wher i can get those tracks..

and i have around 15-20gb of his recorded collections.. anyone interested can get it from me..

Thanks....

vijay

Post by vijay »

Welcome to the forum, Vijaya! Why don't you upload some tracks on sendspace or some file sharing site?

vgovindan

Re: Venkatesh Kumar sings on feb 18th

Post by vgovindan »

Kanaka Dasa - Toredu jivisabahude - Venkatesh Kumar -

https://youtu.be/N5eeahOzFdo