Please identify the raaga of this song.

Classical Music of North India
vsarathy

Please identify the raaga of this song.

Post by vsarathy »

Can someone identify the Hindustani (or Carnatic equivalent) raaga of this song from the movie Main Krishna Hoon?

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFG6CsjIk0M

varsha

Re: Please identify the raaga of this song.

Post by varsha »

vapours of brindavan sarang wafting up to form a cloudy mEgh and shower the earth with sprinkles of miya malhar

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

A classic case of Misra generously fed to Baby Krishna. . :D

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

What a great song! And a superb scene as well. It is all Juhi Chawla, she is the singer as well.

It is incredible that so many beautiful melodies are born out of that G2 M1 R2, isn't it?
If this is what Misra affords us, no complaints at all.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

vasanthakokilam wrote:What a great song! And a superb scene as well. It is all Juhi Chawla, she is the singer as well.

It is incredible that so many beautiful melodies are born out of that G2 M1 R2, isn't it?
If this is what Misra affords us, no complaints at all.
VK

While we were creating all those post to master swargnaan , our good old Juhi went quietly ahead to sing a song.

If she ever read these posts, she would smugly say " come on VK , what is the deal with this. Just heard the Lata didi's bhajan when I was traveling to Mageshkar temple, thought I should do one too, took lessons for a month and that was all ".

Well, if Juhi didi smugly says , can't complain.

But, VK , you miss a point here. Let your flute take rest for a while , just sing the notes and any song. Probably even our Juhi didi's song. Singing is the time tested swargnana trainer.

Yes, I owe to summarize the whole thing, I remember , and I will do it shortly.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

G_M, You do have the knack of going beyond the words and read between the lines and read my mind... really.

Yeah, this songs is haunting enough I had to try to play it on my flute. I think I did it with some measure of closeness but still not to the exact reproduction I wanted. In other contexts, I am known to claim that instruments like violin (and flute) have a remarkably higher degree of fidelity in executing the raga contours. That is a controversial claim but I hear that high order fidelity even amongst the top masters so I am convinced there is something to what I observe. But when I say that I also preface that to say the voice adds weight in other dimensions and that is why people like listening to voice more than just an instrument (At least in CM context). And this song is a clear example. Alright, she sings it to pitch perfection since she is not taking any risks and also, as you say, it is all rehearsed. Even here you can hear that fidelity difference in that G2 M1 R2 S when the instrument plays that vs her singing it. But here is the rub. The voice is so attractive and it just overshadows any such considerations to the extent that when I try to play her line
on my flute it just comes across so bad even if I am pitch wise correct. There is that unanalyzable bhava that exists in the voice that is so hard to reproduce on the instrument.

And here is your mind reading part. When i was doing that, I did think that this is a great song to try G_M's swara identification exercise. Then I went into the mode you suggest,namely, sing the song and let it soak and sink in.

BTW, on the visual aspects of the scene, I am not even sure if I have watched any of Juhi's movies, I do not recall her acting skills but here she is such a natural fit in showing the sheer enthusiasm in dealing with the kids and entertaining them. The scene and the song go together very well. There is so much going on in the scene, the song drops to the background. So if I want to pay attention to the song I have to switch to a different tab and just listen.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

VK
Actually voice is very deceptive. Excuse me vocalists. I have often heard people singing popular songs so beautifully even without fundamental learning of music, whereas reproducing the same is not so easy even with proper learning in an instrument.

The voice has a different timbre that can be changed even withing a person. You can go husky to lispy to, sharpen , bass it a bit, all that you can with the same tune that could be changed withing milliseconds. . The modulation is such an abstract word, but you can do many things in voice. In instrument you achieve it only by lowering the sound intensity. Hence you never can produce exactly. That modulation of treble to bass to husky to sharp to many other things camouflages the pitch errors you make. In instrument it is very glaring. But , there was once instrumentalist violinist who somewhat overcame that limitation and added extra bhava and you know who it is.

Yesterday , I was practicing the the Madhuvanthi thillana . Take the charanam " Ninnaye enni...". After several attempts I had to change it a bit to suit the instrument.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9GJQV_kg6k

VK, did you listen to this. Singing only needs some effort. Another testimony. If you want to sing like a Parveen Sultana then it is a gift.

I think our Super Star was not given a proper tuition or he would have done it much better in the film mannan.