Tripto Veereswar Math Gadag

Classical Music of North India
varsha

Tripto Veereswar Math Gadag

Post by varsha »

It was familiar request that I had been ignoring for a few years now
The request for a visit to Veereswar Punyasrama at Gadag.Which was being postponed for several years now.

As we packed our bags in chennai , The AIR national program announced the name of the singer of the evening.
It was to be Mouneswar Chawni , the latest to graduate out of the school run by the Gadag Math and make a national mark.

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/yov75wo ... nesh_Kumar

Marking another milestone in a path peppered with the grooming of the likes of Basavraj Rajaguru, Arjunsa Nakod , his two sons on the tabla (Raghunath andViswanath) and another as a vocalist ( Balchandra),Venkatesh Kumar...and now Mouneswar .

We made up our minds to visit the place without fail this time around .Gadag is about two hours drive from Hubli.
And it turned out to be a soul stirring experience,Even for a bunch of hard boiled champions of music and disability related issues.

As we conducted the few-frills pooja at the samadhi (Puttaraj Gawai passed away four years ago at age 96 ) we heard a mild strain of music floating through the corridors .We were mesmerised and followed the trail to a small room .A boy was sitting in front of the portrait of Puyttaraj and singing.

Without asking for permission we took a seat by his side on the floor.Soon we had quite a few following suit making it look like a baithak..And what transpired was this
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/pqmo2dl ... edited.mp3

The boy told us he did not know who had dropped him at this orphanage ten years ago.But was happy to tell he was in good care of Ajja.Like the thousands before him.Looking out , The scene from the window was breathtaking .
The busy schedule of an institution running thirteen schools and hostels.And one which has never taken a grant from the Govt.In existence for over six decades.

The boy went on...
The memory of Ajja and these notes that I am taught - what else should I pray for .What else is there to living .
Memories of my own dad came flooding.He too was orphaned and carried a small piece embroidered by his mother as an item for his puja.His only link to his parents.
You will find it more difficult than the likes of me to get a concept of a formless shapeless God- he would often say,
As he emphasised the champion in Dickens and made his works compulsory reading for us.It was all coming together today.

Somewhere in between we requested Puriya Kalyan and he replied that he did not have a deep acquaintance.
Ashtu Parichaya ilree - as though it was a human being we referred to .And he was in the school for a decade!!!!!

As we took our leave ,I asked him if he would be willing to participate in programs in my home town.So if I could have his number...please..
He gently reminded me that we had interrupted his daily prayer session with Ajja.And he would have to rush before the next
bloke came barging in . Ajja Avarige Patha oppisabeku ( we need to show our progress to grandpa)Come after ten years maybe , he said.I should be ready with puriya kalyan , he grinned.
Last edited by varsha on 18 Jun 2014, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

varsha

Re: Tripto Veereswar Math Gadag

Post by varsha »

We took our leave and stopped at the only store in front of the hostel.A small girl was in charge.
Yaav cd hacchilee - she enquired ( blorites may translate it as which cd do i light up)
I asked for some old stuff and her mothers voice boomed from deep inside - play the rajaguru stuff and Ajjas Carnatic.

The cds must have remained unsold for decades .One was a rare treat - concert version of hindol and puriya dhanasree of Rajaguru

And the other - Ajja himself singing 5 carnatic krithis playing the violin alongside.
I have put up vathapi here .Rama ni samanamevaru being another one.

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/de100th ... rack_1.wma

Each song featuring a ragam tanam and krithi.
May look a bit odd to the average mylaporean , but I begin to get a sense of why that school is so appealing to me.
Gwalior Gharana it may be . But to my ears it looks like the heralding of a Dharwar - Gadag Gharana.
A Gharana taking shape under our eyes in these times of diffusion of styles.

So here are these tracks spanning 5-6 decades of musical development in a region that could have ended up as a desert.
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/s5jaaaa ... yan_01.mp3
78 rpm hypnotic versio

varsha

Post by varsha »

--About
Pandit Puttaraj Gawai (ಪುಟ್ಟರಾಜ ಗವಾಯಿ )
Pandit Puttaraj Gawai (ಪುಟ್ಟರಾಜ ಗವಾಯಿ) was born into a poor kannada Lingayat
family in Devara Hospete in Hangal taluk of Haveri district of Karnataka. His parents were Revaiah Venkatapurmath and Siddamma. He lost his eyesight at a very early age.He lost his father when he was 10 months old. His maternal uncle Chandrashekharaiah took him under his wings and raised him.

Pandit Puttaraj Gawai (Kannada: ಪುಟ್ಟರಾಜ ಗವಾಯಿ) (3 March 1914 – 17 September 2010) is an Indian musician in the Hindustani classical tradition, a scholar who has authored more than 80 books in Kannada, Sanskrit and Hindi, a music teacher and a social servant. A member of the Gwalior Gharana (school),[1] he is renowned for his ability to play many instruments such as the veena, the tabla, mridangam, violin etc., as well as for his popular renditions of devotional music (bhajans) vachanas.A famous vocalist both in Hindustani and Karnataka Music. He is the recipient of the Padma Bhushan, India's third highest civilian honour, awarded in 2008.

Pt Gawai is one of the pioneers of Veereshwara Punyashrama, a music school dedicated to imparting musical knowledge to people who are differentially able-d. Disabled people, especially blind from all castes, religions and sections of the society are thought music in the ashram. Pt. Dr. Puttaraj Kavi Gavaiji has been the pontiff of Shree Veereshwara Punyashrama Since 1944, after the demise of Pt. Panchaxara Gavaiji who founded this Ashrama for the upliftment of the born-blind children and orphans. Since its inception in 1942, Shree Veereshwar Punyashrama has been feeding and educating the born-blind and the orphans and the poor children free of cost, without discrimination on the basis of caste and creed. The Ashrama is solely run on the strength of voluntary donations by its devotees. The mission of the Ashrama is selfless service to the community, especially and poorest and the blind.

The disciples trained and educated in Music. and Fine Arts have become music teachers, stage-artists, radio-artists, musicians and professionals in the field of arts in thousands. "Pt. Panchaxari Gavi Drama Theatre" organized and founded by Pt. Puttaraj Gaviji has given innumerable performances and has been considered as one of the pioneering feats of Theatre Movement in the North Karnataka. Being solely dedicated to furthering the art of stage drama, this dramatic company has produced thousands of stage artists who have earned national and international fame. Punyashrama has produced thousands of "Kirtanakaras" who are busy delivering Puranas and Pravachanas and Keertanas all over the state. Thus, Shree Veereshwara Punyashrama is rendering valuable services in the field of literature, music, religion, literacy and social service. It is dedicated to the cause of the welfare of the blind and down-trodden for over seventy years in its own humble way. The very secular credentials of this institution has made this Ashrama typical and a class by itself. The Pontiff of Shree Veereshwara Punyashrama, Gadag is viewed by the devotees as a "Walking God on the Earth". Shree Veereshwara Punyashrama of Gadag is a very popular and influential Ashrama in Karnataka. It is a charity institution solely dedicated to the upliftment of the blind, orphans and poor children. More than 1000 children reside in the Ashrama and are fed free of cost. The Ashrama runs Thirteen institutions comprising musical as well as general education.

Shree Veereshwara Punyashrama is run on its own strength without any aid from the Government. It has been contributing to the society the talented musicians, radioartists, music teachers, stage - artists and the professionals in the field of music and fine arts. Shree Veereshwara Punyashrama is thoroughtly a secular institution and admits students from all sections of society without discrimination on the basis of caste and creed.

The pontiff, Pt. Puttaraj Kavi Gavaiji has been serving out society in different capacities and is a catalyst of social and communal harmony. He richly deserves any coveted prize and honour like "Padma Vibhushan Award".

Shree Veershwara Punyashrama (Dr. Pt. Puttaraj Kavi Gaviagalu) is running various Institutions.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Institutions

P.P.G. Pre-Primary School (Bal Vihar) (Anganawadi School), Gadag
P.P.G. Residential Music School for Blind, Gadag
P.P.G. Residential Braille School, Gadag
Puttaraj Gavigalavar Sanskrit Pathashala, Gadag
Shri Kumareshwar Krupaposhit Sangeeta Pathashala, Gadag
Music School, Shri Veereshwar Punyashrama, Gadag ; Branch
P.P.G. Primary School, Gadag
P.P.G. High School, Gadag
P.P.G. Arts College, Gadag
P.P.G. Music College, Gadag
P.P.G. B.Ed. College, Gadag
P.P.G. D.Ed. College, Gadag

Awards and Recognitions

Pt Gawai has been bestowed with many awards for his contributions to music, literature and social service. Some important awards are listed below.

1961 - President award for "Basava Purana" in Hindi.
1962 - Kannada Kavi Kulottama by Kannada Sahitya Parishat, Bangalore
1970 - Karnataka Rajyotsava Prashasti
1975 - Honorary doctorate by Karnatak University
1998 - Nadoja Prashasti
1998 - Kanaka Purandara Prashasti
1998 - Jnaanayogi by Kannada Sahitya Parishat, Gadag.
1998 - Kendra Sangeet Natak Akademi Award
1999 - Rajya Sangeeta Vidwan by Government of Karnataka
2000 - National Award (for the betterment of disabilities) by Govt of India
2001 - "Nadoja Award" from Kannada University
2002 - Basavashree award
2007 - Kalidas Samman by Government of Madhya Pradesh
2009 - N Vajrakumar Abhinandana Puraskar Samiti Award
2009 - Tirumakudalu Chowdiah award by Government of Karnataka
2010 - Padma Bhushan

varsha

Post by varsha »

Books on Music

Sangeet Shastra Jnana
Tabla Shikshaka
GuruSudha Part 1 & 2
Taala Panchakshara

Books in Kannada

Akkamahadevi Purana
Haveri Shivabasava Purana
Ankalagi Adavi Siddeswara Purana
Huchala Guru Siddeshwara Purana
Purathanara Purana
Veerabhadreshwara Purana
Kalikeri Guru Mahima Purana
Sharana Basaveshwara Purana
Sri Ankalagi Adiveshwara Puraana
Sri Haveri Shivabasava Swami Puraana
Guleda Gadilingeshwara Puraana
Sri Veerabhadreshwara Puraana
Shivasharane Hemareddi Mallamma Puraana
Chikkenakoppada Sri Channaveera Sharanara Puraana
Sri Naalatwaada Veereshwara Puraana
Sri Annadaaneshwara Puraana
Guddaapura Daanamma Devi Puraana
Sri Chikkeshwara Puraana
Sri Kalakeri Gurumahimaa Puraana

Books in Sanskrit

Shrimat Kumara Geetha
Kumareshwara Kavya
Shri Linga Sooktha
Tatparya Sahit Sri Rudra
Panchakshara Suprabhata

Books in Hindi

Basava Purana (President Award winner)
Siddha Linga Vijaya
Sidhantha Shikamani etc.

Theatre/Dramas in Kannada

Sri Kotturu Basaveshwara
Nelloora Numbiyaaka
Shivasharana Chennayya
Bhagavaan Basaveshwara
Sri Gurudarhsana
Hanagalla Kumareshwara Mahatme
Sri Shivayogi Siddharaameshwara
Shivayogi Moligi Maarayya
Shirahatti Sri Phakeereshwara Mahatme
Shivasharane Uditadi Akkamahadevi
Sati Sukanya
Daanaveera Shirasangi Lingarajaru
Maharati Bheeshma
Magana Prema
Devara Duddu

Books in Braille

Bhagavad Geeta
Upanishad
Sri Rudra and Music
Death
He died 17 September 2010,
at Veereshwara Punyashrama, Gadag, Karnataka.
He was buried at the ashram as per the veerashaiva traditions with respectful government honours.
More than 10 lakhs devotees attended his funeral ceremony in Gadag on 18 September 2010.
The Karnataka state government declared state mourning on Saturday and holiday for government offices
as a mark of respect to the multi-faceted personality.
---

varsha

Post by varsha »

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/38l31v5 ... tesh_Kumar
I wind up with a delightful version of Puriya Kalyan by Venkatesh Kumar.

And a song that describes their philosophy very aptly and sweetly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fswH78a2n08

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Inspired writing! Thank you for sharing.