Hameer Kalyani....question

Classical Music of North India
rrao13

Hameer Kalyani....question

Post by rrao13 »

Namaskara.

What is the equivalent/closest equivalent Hindustani Raag for Karnatak sangeeth's Hameer Kalyani (eg: Purahara nandana, Venkatasaila viharam, Maanamu leda....etc.).

If you can also provide a web link where I can listen to the Hindustani version - preferably in Flute by Hariprasad Chaurasia, I would indeed be ecstatic.

Thank you very much for your time.

Rsachi

Re: Hameer Kalyani....question

Post by Rsachi »

Raganidhi by Subba Rao states that raag Kedar in Hindustani music resembles CM Hamir Kalyani. Couldn't find a Chaurasia piece but here is his gurubhai:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjVSxpJX ... ata_player

varsha

Post by varsha »

Rustom - e- Mylapore
in a national program
http://www.mediafire.com/?xgzkviaobs8hpmt

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Hameer kalyani it self is a hindustani rraga. I THINK THAT THE QUESTION SHOULD BE WHAT IS THE NEAREST EQUIVALENT OF HAMMER IN CARNATIC MUSIC

kittappa

Post by kittappa »

The nearest equivalent of HAMMER in Carnatic music should be the singers who shout at the top of their voice, who make as much noise as a hammer banging on a nail or screw on the wall. We must be 'screws' to listen to such hammering and thereby we are 'nailing' our ears also pemanently.

The raga is named as hamvIru in the SSP. SD says it is alo called hamir and is a dEsya rAgam.

harimau

Post by harimau »

gobilalitha wrote:Hameer kalyani it self is a hindustani rraga. I THINK THAT THE QUESTION SHOULD BE WHAT IS THE NEAREST EQUIVALENT OF HAMMER IN CARNATIC MUSIC
Hameerkalyani is some Hindusthani raag, probably Kedar, brought into Carnatic music, perhaps by Sri Muthuswami Deekshithar.

While the Hindusthani raag is like a girl clad in a salwar-kameez, Hameerkalyani is one dressed in a resplendent 9-yard Kanchipuram silk sari.

The dress does make a difference -- and what a wonderful difference it is!

varsha

Post by varsha »

While the Hindusthani raag is like a girl clad in a salwar-kameez
The raag is what is hidden behind the dress - naked .
The dress is the artists performance .
Hindusthani can be likened to strip tease .. the style of unravelling . There is a teasing element in the schools of unfolding too . :)

Carnatic ...a walk on ramp perhaps ... a walk in which the feet ( the reference sruthi ) are rarely visible

varsha

Post by varsha »

http://www.mediafire.com/?mhdfy49331292s1

One of the best lp records ever commissioned - Vilayath - Imrath on Sitar - Surbahar

tanyaroy

Post by tanyaroy »