Something that is neither HM nor CM

Classical Music of North India
rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Odissi music is thought to be different enough from both HM and CM, that the SNA is considering (or may have actually done so already) declaring it the third classical music form of India. See this article for the 3 aspects of Odissi music:
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/11/24/stor ... 980200.htm
As in CM, the violin finds a place as an accompanying instrument. The rhythm is provided by 'mardal' - wonder if it is same as the South Indian maddaLam.
Ravi

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

The description seems more like HM to my reading. Can SNA really 'declare' a new form unilaterally like that??

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

It is the authority that grants 'classic' status to any art form...

varsha

Re: Something that is neither HM nor CM

Post by varsha »

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Awesome indeed.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

beautiful. words can't describe this...
Varsha, how do you find these gems?

varsha

Post by varsha »

how do you find these gems?

Dagar . Dhrupad . Keywords to a world that will take several janmas to understand . Technology helps us soar back on a time machine and relive a past beyond comprehension . Youtube just keeps getting better and better
Nice that you all liked it . Such subtle nuances . Such brilliant nooks and corners in the raga . Such effortless singing .

vasanthakokilam

I liked that dhrupad for the very same reasons: Subtle nuances, quite sensitive and beautiful singing. You chose the right topic to post this. All the dry distinctions between Boopali and Mohanam are rendered meaningless by this musician. This is neither Hindusthani nor Carnatic, it is Indian. This is similar to how I feel when I listen to Hindustani on the violin.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Awesome links...thank you...Look at the number of tAnpurAs....Dagar sa'ab's voice sounds divine alright, but the tAnpuras elevate the whole experience to an other-worldly, spiritual level...

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Dear Varsha,
What a beautiful beginning to my day with an ethereal Bhoopali filling up the citadel of my being as much as it filled that French Basilica...
A big thanks!
Whatever I wanted to say about Odissi music seems trivial after that.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Varsha - curious to know why you posted the Dagar clips in a thread about Odissi music?

Dhrupad is an authentic form of Hindustani music in its own right.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Well , my posting had nothing to do with Odissi Music . My Apologies if it was misleading . It was the title "something that is neither HM nor CM " that made put these tracks here .. I have a romantic notion that CM and HM came from the same home , until they took different roads , long long ago . Dagars music transcends pigeon hole definitions , and gives me the feeling of true statelessness . It does not belong to anywhere and belongs to everywhere . So I HAD to share this here :)

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Reporting from my dentist's clinic after two root canals. Can imagine a world sans teeth. But a life sans music... Surely not worth living.

vasanthakokilam

>It was the title "something that is neither HM nor CM " that made put these tracks here

That is what I thought your thinking was, which is great. Though this thread started with the Odissi music, the thread title is spot on for this kind of fascinating music.