Sattur Sisters at NGS Mini Hall on 8.12.08

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

On a working day, evening Chennai traffic and above all, Seshagoplan delayed his arrival, restless, I entered the NGS Mini hall and Sattur Sisters (Bhuvana Rajagopal (BR) and Lalitha Santhanam (LS) started their Hamsnantham varNam. I have seen some reviews in this forum and another good review last year in Hindu for their performance in MA. The also got award in MA "SADAS"
Last edited by grsastrigal on 10 Dec 2008, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

mahesu

Post by mahesu »

I too was lucky to attend this concert. A very well balanced concert indeed. Sattur sisters performance was very traditional and reminded us of the concerts in the golden age of CM. All the renditions were very lively. The violinist (Srilakshmi Venkatramani) was crystal clear in her raga sancharas. She followed the main artist neatly.

The mridangam accompaniment (Neyveli Ramkumar) this day was excellent and proved how a good mridangam artist can add value in such concerts. It was as if the mridangam was singing along with the main artists. He was ably supported by the Ghatam artist (Chandrasekar Sarma). The tani was also lively.

Each of the few audience (around 30 headcounts ????) were a satisfied lot when they left the auditorium. Can (not)!!! understand why such good concerts are becoming rarer these days.

jagan

Post by jagan »

For Info
They are singing for Naada Inbam at Raga Sudha Hall, Luz at 6.15 pm on 17th Dec.
Last edited by jagan on 09 Dec 2008, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

erode14

Post by erode14 »

nice review, thanks to shrI GRS.

one more concert of sathur sisters - thanks to ramsabode :) ...

6:30 PM -Sathur Sisters (Vocal - Mangalam Ganapathy Compositions), Tiruvarur N. Balam (Violin), Erode Nagaraj (Mrudangam) @ Mahalakshmi Welfare Association Hall, 11, Park View Road, Behind SNEHA, R.A.Puram (Smt. Mangalam Ganapathy Music Trust & Mahalakshmi Welfare Association)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nagaraj,
Surely, you know the date of the concert too :)

Purist

Post by Purist »

Its Vara'n'arada - a kriti in praise of Narada .

the nereval at " Prakatambuga ".

Sathur Subramaniam simply excelled in this kirthana, so a good tribute to their Dad

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

I corrected it in my orignal post. I also heard as "Prakatambuga" but in karnatik.com, the lyrics was "Pratambuga" may be "ka" was missing. That is why the confusion....

erode14

Post by erode14 »

arasi wrote:Nagaraj,
Surely, you know the date of the concert too :)
AhA... it's on 26-12-2008 (is there a smiley for vazhinging?)

[ " -," ]

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

they are very good and unfortunately underrated. There renditions are usually very stunning and one always feels they should get more recognitions and chances to perform.

i have listened to them sing on a few occasions before, and they are never compromising.

Lakshman

Re: Sattur Sisters at NGS Mini Hall on 8.12.08

Post by Lakshman »

Does anyone have the contact information for the sisters? Thanks

arasi

Post by arasi »

I heard the tail end of a concert of the sisters some years ago before a Suryaprkash's concert, I think. Liked their singing, and also have been wondering about their not being as visible as some of their juniors. Are they from the family of veteran vidvan Sattur Subramania Iyer?

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Yes. They do have some connection with Lalgudi family too.
Thanjavooran
03 03 2020

CRama

Post by CRama »

They are daughters and disciples of Sathur Subramanya iyer.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Lakhsmanji. CRama is correct. They are daughers of Sattur Subramaiya Iyer. Smt Bhuvana Rajagopalan, one of the sisters is my mAmi (wife of my uncle Sri.Rajagopalan). Staying in Abiramapuram, off CP Ramaswamy road.
They do not have any connection with LGJ family. As LGJ accompanied Sattur SI in many conerts, they know LGJ professionally. Thats all.
If you need to contact them, please call me .
Thanks