TMK in Bangalore - 20th March 2021

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shreyas

TMK in Bangalore - 20th March 2021

Post by shreyas »

https://shaale.com/watch/intach/

TMK - Vocal
HKV - Violin
KAP - Mridangam
Giridhar Udupa - Ghatam

If you think SSI and RK have repetitive lists, look at this.

Insufferably boring choice of compositions - his pool seems to be getting smaller and smaller day by day.

Singing ranges from average to good.

1. Marubalka - Sriranjini - Adi - Tyagaraja
2. Chetasri Balakrishnnam - Dwijavanti/Jujavanti - Tisra Eka - Dikshithar [The best tribute to MD on his jayanthi is of course singing the same composition for the 100th time when there are at least 200 more to pick from]
3. HKV - Mukhari Alapana - Followed by Thanam [disappointingly short] in Mukhari, Salagabhairavi, Kambhoji
4. Short sketch of Saraswati Manohari - Enthavedukondu - Adi - Tyagaraja [Anupallavi start, S @ Chinta Dirchuta in first kalam only]
5. Kamakshi - Varali - Misra Chapu - Syama Sastri [R by TMK and HKV, N @ mayamma vegame going on right now]

In short, the man's music is a mere shadow of what it once was, and if you thought he was repetitive earlier, you'd be shocked now.

If there is anything interesting after this, I will add an update. Otherwise, I won't bother.

shreyas

Re: TMK in Bangalore - 20th March 2021

Post by shreyas »

He is singing Sri Rama Jaya Rama in Yadukulakambhoji. Must admit I did not see that coming.

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

The last song was very well sung. I still maintain that the rest of the concert was just ok, though.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

He is catering to the audience that likes to hear the same "classic" songs over and over again which forms a good percentage of the CM rasikas.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Shreyas,
Live in the moment. Enjoy it for its tonality, shruti shuddham, layam, presentation, Stage dynamic and so on. I haven't yet heard the concert. Will do so soon.

I once heard a great comic comment to an audience pointing to a famous musician next to her (as it so happened she was a well known Kannada stand up artiste and comic) that comedians have a very difficult time compared to musicians. Their audience is ALWAYS asking for new jokes. Whereas musicians' fans ask for the same songs over and over.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

@Rsachi I first heard TMK in 2002 and he totally stunned me from that very day so over two decades I think we can clearly see his growth, his peak and now a surprising decline.

I personally think TMK as a musician was spectacular in the 2000s, a tour de force in his 30s. Back then he was a firecracker, astonishing in his talent and imagination and voice, and only got better from there. The first several concerts I heard were unforgettable for the ballistic neravals and swaras. He mellowed and peaked in the period of 2010-16 IMHO, maybe a little further beyond.

But right around the time he decided to stop singing in margazhi was the start of a decline. Actually for a while I thought that breaking free of the concert "buffet" format had freed up his manodharma for more depth. I thought that he was now going to really show us what the depth of the music was. Those were the days when an effortless 3.5 octaves was routine. And oh yeah, many things he was doing were pushing the limits of the music and then beyond. At that time I believed he was on another level of capability altogether.

But in the last couple of years I really feel he's not been giving music much attention and the rust really shows. His once vibrant voice is duller and hazier, his showcased range is an octave less, the numbers another shade of repetitive, the alapanas minimalistic at phrasing, the brighas have gone, you don't feel he's the almighty "king of neraval" like Nadal on clay anymore, the swaras too are rare. Worst of all the consistency is no longer at the level it once was.

The good news is that none of this is a problem that can't be fixed in a short time. His decline isn't so much a case of actual peaking as much as it is rust. He simply hasn't been practicing or planning as much as he should.

All the solutions are well known and simple. In fact at this stage a fair bit of planning in his song list selection would actually free him from this repetitive rut which is the main problem. In fact it would be good if he of all people makes an RTP as the main in his concerts. That would totally be living up to the whole "true art" music.

I do not know if he personally feels like singing the usual time tested composers as much as he did before, if according to him, their words don't resonate with his views now. Who knows? I don't think that's the real reason. It's just that his other ventures are taking the lion's share of time and energy away from music.

TMK has done it all and then done stuff in uncharted waters. He has nothing to prove, but he is no octogenarian. He has decades of music to come for a long long time. But it is rather ironic that the man who once spoke of the depth of art music has in some ways become far more than what he criticized MSS for. The art music of TMK is actually falling victim and he dug himself into this rut. And only he can get back out of it.
Last edited by SrinathK on 21 Mar 2021, 23:31, edited 6 times in total.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Srinath, Very well argued and presented.

I started listening to TMK rather late. He did stand out for me in terms of his voice timbre, his leisurely tempo, and his experimentation.

His "I can't care less for your kutcheri expectations" attitude to audiences is most offensive. He also is a keen political animal now. So that's the current package. Take it or leave it.

I did enjoy his Friends in Concert very much and wrote to him too at his official handle. I got no reply.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Happened to catch a rebroadcast of his Chembai utsavam performance from 2019 recently. It was exceptionally awesome.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Then I must be very unlucky that my last 3 encounters were underwhelming. That was in surprising contrast to all the concerts that had preceded them. I will never forget that one in IITM where my mind was so overwhelmed it ceased to think for a while. Maybe the next time I will not be disappointed.

I have not actually heard the Friends in Concert yet. Will do.

But out of all the sentient beings in this universe, if @shreyas gets increasingly concerned by TMK's performances, then I must be somewhat alarmed. For I have never seen a rasika of TMK's music knowing probably every detail of everything TMK sang in history quite like him.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Yes! Shreyas is so deeply invested in TMK that it is not for his Shreyas. Next he may secure a xerox copy of all of TMK's binders that contain his repertoire and travel with him like his KamaNDalu.

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

@SrinathK 😂😂

I am getting increasingly disgruntled by his lack of commitment towards his music, and his rapidly dwindling usage of his doubtlessly vast repertoire. I have a feeling that this might solely be caused by the fact that I am so well aware of what the man was capable of in the past, including presenting such incredibly rare pieces as Patnam's Manasuna Neranammithi, Muthaiah Bhagavathar's Nenu Jesina Pujaphalamu [both in the same concert by the way], and Vasudevachar's Sive Pahi Chamundeswari. Now a concert without either Chetasri Balakrishnam or Pankaja Lochana is a null set 😂.

Would be acceptable if he was showing something new with his manodharma, but his alapanas are disappointingly short, his thanams which would once shock-and-awe are now almost reduced to a formality, and his delightfully long and elaborate neravals are now virtually absent.

@Sachi_R sir I would have unapologetically agreed with your assessment less than a year ago, but I've recently begun listening to other artistes, particularly those of yesteryear, and it has surprised me how much I've missed out on. My Shreyas is hopefully back on the rails, while TMK's repertoire summarily races for the wasteland beside them 😂

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Dear @shreyas
I have heard 2/3rds of this concert. I have enjoyed it thoroughly. I listened as a first timer and TMK holds the Carnatic torch aloft grandly and joyfully here.

Surely, each listener brings his whole personality into the experience and yours would be different from mine for sure.

Since I am much older, I have the capacity I think of resetting all expectations and listening to an artiste as if for the first time. It is a gambit that surely pays off all the time for me.

More later.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

SrinathK wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 23:15 I will never forget that one in IITM where my mind was so overwhelmed it ceased to think for a while. Maybe the next time I will not be disappointed.
Was it when the Late T.V.Vasan accompanied on the ,mrdangam? I was fortunate to be there too.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

shreyas wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 10:58 @SrinathK 😂😂

I am getting increasingly disgruntled by his lack of commitment towards his music, and his rapidly dwindling usage of his doubtlessly vast repertoire. I have a feeling that this might solely be caused by the fact that I am so well aware of what the man was capable of in the past, including presenting such incredibly rare pieces as Patnam's Manasuna Neranammithi, Muthaiah Bhagavathar's Nenu Jesina Pujaphalamu [both in the same concert by the way], and Vasudevachar's Sive Pahi Chamundeswari. Now a concert without either Chetasri Balakrishnam or Pankaja Lochana is a null set 😂.

Would be acceptable if he was showing something new with his manodharma, but his alapanas are disappointingly short, his thanams which would once shock-and-awe are now almost reduced to a formality, and his delightfully long and elaborate neravals are now virtually absent.

@Sachi_R sir I would have unapologetically agreed with your assessment less than a year ago, but I've recently begun listening to other artistes, particularly those of yesteryear, and it has surprised me how much I've missed out on. My Shreyas is hopefully back on the rails, while TMK's repertoire summarily races for the wasteland beside them 😂
These are nothing but qualities of a rounded, wholelsome and matured presentation of the classical music. Music is not about a brisk alapana or a rapid free swaras or extra long nerevals. This is is waht is presented to the masses who have limited knowledge of music to captivate them.

real music is something of what TMK presents today - exquisite stuff, definitely not for the gallery. The music silences your mind, brings inner peace ....

some of the musicians singing extra looonnnggg alaps, swaras with all calculas, trignometry and formulas embedded does make one tired of the jarring music :)

Guess his music of the current is a divine experience !!

CRama

Post by CRama »

The forum gets its vigour only when a TMK concert is reviewed.

Last week, a friend of mine who used to visit this forum many years back, asked me about the present condition of this forum. I told him, the forum is not very active nowadays, and will get energy only when TMk concert is reviewed. I give a pat for me.

Shreyes, if you had been ga ga over your idol TMK as usual, so much discussion would not have happened. Good sign that you are becoming more inclusive.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

One of the most enjoyable concerts of TMK for me. There is Varali sung like only TMK can sing it. There is Sri Rama Jayarama in YK in the end that always gives me goosebumps. There is a lark of a tanam in ragas mentioned by Shreyas.

The constant smiles exchanged by TMK with AP shows he was in a superb mood. He even sang the Perumal Murugan de rigueur AP-tuned Kapi song.

That's when HKV the statesman reminds TMK to sing a Kannada song given the occasion and location. TMK shrugs off as he is already opening this verse to sing:
ನಗ್ನ ವಿಪಿನ ನಗ್ನ ಗಗನ
ತಪೋ ಮಗ್ನ ಮೇದಿನಿ
ಗಗನ ತತ್ವ ಮನನ ಶಕ್ತ
ಮುನಿಜನ ಸಮ್ಮೋದಿನಿ
ಮಂಜುಮುಸುಕಿ
ಬಿಳಿಚಿದಳಿಲ
ಮಧುಮಾದವಗರ್ಭಿಣಿ
ರಂಜನೆಯಲಿ ಎಲ್ಲತೊರೆದು
ಸರ್ವಭೂತತರ್ಪಿಣಿ
ಸೊಂಪಿಲ್ಲದ ಕಂಪಿಲ್ಲದ
ತಂಪಿನಚಳಿಗಾಲ
ತನ್ನಾಳದಿ
ಚಿಂತಿಸುತಿದೆ
ಮುಂದಿನಬಾಳ್ಮೇಳ್ಗೆ....

Sri. Pu Ti Narasimhachar hailed from Melkote (as did my father) and was a romantic poet par excellence (1905-1998).His gokula nirgamana, depicting Krishna's farewell to Gokula, is epic in sentiment and dance-worthiness.

This poem is no different. I am hearing it for the first time but TMK has wowed rasikas a few times already with this song. I rummaged the poems of PuTiNa online but could not locate this. So I make do now with transcribing what TMK sang.

The poem describes the earth in winter. Naked trees (shorn of leaves) naked skies (cloudless in winter) and the earth is in meditation, inspiring those contemplating the infinite (BG 13.33)
The squirrels look white in the wintry mist. The bees are pregnant and hibernating.

It's winter. No fragrances or greenery. Everything is cool and still. And the earth is thinking deeply and silently on the spring that shall come soon.

Sung in Kalyani, the song thrilled me.

TMK then took up Vitthala in Desh, and pretty much blew away his reputation for secularism as one could see him emoting the Dasa's intimate experience of God all around.

I have only one question. How come Bhargavi, with her great looks and most expressive face (a deaf mute can enjoy this concert by just looking at her) hasn't been offered a prime role in cinema? Maybe she has chosen CM, an infinitely better career choice, that too under TMK's tutelage.
Last edited by Sachi_R on 23 Mar 2021, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

Ananthakrishna

Post by Ananthakrishna »

Having heard this concert myself, I must say it is subpar. Definitely not TMK's best.

He has fallen into a rut as far as I'm concerned, where he sings the same old stuff again and again, and not because the audience requests the same old pieces, but because he doesn't practice enough, (maybe even doesn't practice at all).
His activism and other socio-political endeavours are distracting him from his music, and his musicality is a victim.
To new listeners of TMK, this concert might have sounded nice, but I have heard a circa 2000 TMK, a circa 2008 TMK, and the current 2020-2021 TMK is really bad in comparision. The manodharmam was lack-lustre, the krithi selection boring and predictable. We must give thanks to whoever requested TMK to sing Shri Rama Jaya Rama, for I'm sure he hasn't selected that on his own.

Just compare this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7uPZy1l5vM
with the 2021 concert. You'll see what I mean. He has fallen as an artiste and his concerts do not show us his full musical capabilities. His concerts and his musicality are mere shells and shadows of what they once were, as both @shreyas and @SrinathK have argued succinctly.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

My enjoyment of this concert especially Varali and the songs later will not be diminished for sure but thank you very much for giving a link to a 2002 concert - I didn't hear TMK seriously till about 2008-2010.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

And by the way, my first voiced reaction after I got the Shaale invite and link - when I could have heard the concert real time - was, "well TMK sings the same songs over and over...." 😁

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

OK. For those interested in the "context" of this concert, it was organised by a group of heritage architecture enthusiasts called INTACH who took up the initiative of restoring the old Fort High School. This occasion was a celebration of its completion:
https://www.facebook.com/376525481132/p ... sn=wiwspmo

The venue was semi outdoors in the school quadrangle.

So one may say the audience was not a pure "rasikas.org" type of folks. I am yet to listen to Jeyateerth Mevundi who sang before TMK

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

@shreyas
I have a request. I put in a lot of effort to unearth the original lyric by Pu Ti Na (Kalyani - Nagna Vipina). I could not locate it. As you can imagine even the greatest or Kannada books aren't easy to access especially during the Covid time.

There is only one book I could not get - Harinabhisarana.

Perhaps This is from there. Could you use your offices and get me confirmation that this song indeed is by Pu Ti Na? From which book please?

I know for a fact that Pu Ti Na was very knowledgeable in music also and many musicians and dancers have been in touch with him.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Sachi_R on 29 Mar 2021, 10:03, edited 1 time in total.

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

I will certainly try.

sais72

Post by sais72 »

Sachi_R wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 22:44 get me confirmation that this song indeed is by Pu Ti Na? From which book please?
It is Pu Ti Na's composition and TMK has himself mentioned it in several places.

http://www.aparna-a.com/uncategorized/t ... ushkarini/
"nagna vipina, which TMK said is a Kannada poem written by Pu. Ti. Narasimhachar about the winter season, was beautiful. He said the poem talks about how the winter is pregnant and is waiting for spring to come. This poem is supposed to be a part of a series called SiSirAmOdA."

https://www.amazon.com/Bhakti-Perceive- ... B0077B1KAO - sleeve notes mention Pu Ti Na

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Oh Thank you! I will now locate ಶಿಶಿರಾಮೋದ.
which means "the joy of winter".

sais72

Post by sais72 »

Sachi_R wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 08:08 Oh Thank you! I will now locate ಶಿಶಿರಾಮೋದ.
which means "the joy of winter".
I was looking for sisiramoda on the internet and guess whose post i found - viewtopic.php?t=20854

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

The circle of life indeed!
I had all but forgotten this concert but for the way I had to edge my way on the periphery of a very large crowd and finally found a place on the floor left back of centre. I took that photo too from that spot on my mobile. But owing to the vagaries of the Internet the photo is lost forever.