Sampagodu Vighnaraja @Maduradhvani - Arkay Feb 21, 2021

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shankarank

Sampagodu Vighnaraja @Maduradhvani - Arkay Feb 21, 2021

Post by shankarank »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbPWjtbGUH0

As I said elsewhere - he reminded me of an unrelated forgotten senior musician: Maharajapuram K Nagarajan in some spots. Leave it to others to see if that is indeed valid :mrgreen:

It seems he hails from GNB tradition, through his father. Delivers timebound exquisite brighas.

A majestic kAmbOdhi vaRNam. Followed by pancamAtanga mukha - malahari. Again a bhairavi with those exquisite brigha emissions, with yArO ivar yArO, an interlude of brisk raghunAta nannu in suraranjani.
Then a bass filled vaRALi and his own kriti on SrI dakshiNamUrty in the language of kannADa ( well mostly samskrtam).

His main item was vAgadeeSvari - again enunciated with virtuous handling of the vivadi zones. An effective paramAtmuDu.

Concluded with dAsanamADikO - nadanAmakriya. That showed his sAhitya flair very clearly.

With senior accompaniments of Dr Narmadha who is adept at this type of music and a robust SrI Trichur C Narendran supported by Adambakkam Shankar, a delectable concert - first time for me of this vidvan.

Seems he has performed quite a few times @Arkay going by the search results.

<<with that the post restoration post the crash and a day of lost posts is complete!>>

shankarank

Re: Sampagodu Vighnaraja @Maduradhvani - Arkay Feb 21, 2021

Post by shankarank »

Now his own composition is a well set one, except I noted a familiar discussion that I have posted before:

https://youtu.be/sbPWjtbGUH0?t=3593

vi | gnAna suyOga sangIta svarUpana | agnAna rUpi apasmaraNa toLidE (word help??)

Now vignAna is nicely atItam, but agnAna is not. Same issue is agnAna dvAnta pracaNDa bhAskarO.

The extra ending of "na" in svarUpana hinders the same. This is a pervasive issue with kannaDa. What is the role of this extra syllable - a case ending?

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Now I forgot to write about sogasujUDa taramA somewhere in there. The way he handled the sAhitya and kaRvais and reminded of SrI LokanAda Sarma. Especially the "kaPOla" part. And then added a verve by using khaNDAm, during the conclusion. One could observe the immediate appreciation from Dr. Narmadha around this moment.

Seems he is part of the kAla samvAda ( as I searched this forum) discussion.

sankark

Post by sankark »

So far till bhairavi - if it goes like this, this should be something worth remembering for quite some time. First time ever getting to listen to this vidwan, thanks to @shankarank. An old world charm - don't ask me to define that though as that's the spontaneous recurring thought I get since the opening, TKRangachari-esque I think - I dare say.