SRIVIDYA LAKSHMINARAYANAN IN MUDHRA 30/12/2020

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

SRIVIDYA LAKSHMINARAYANAN IN MUDHRA 30/12/2020

Post by CRama »

Accompanists- Dr. Usha Rajagopalan- Violin
Melakkaveri Balaji- Mridangam
Adambakkam Sankar- Ghatam.
List of songs.
• Varnam- Ritigowla- Ata talam
• Sugunamule- Chakravakam- T (S)
• Anandanatanaprakasam- Kedaram- MD
• Mariveredik- Lathangi- PSI (R,N,S)
• Sree Sankaraguruvaram- Nagaswarali (Mahavaidyanatha Sivan)
• Kaddanuvariki- Thodi- T (R,N,S)
• Slokam- Govindamiha- Bagesree
• Thillana- Hameerkalyani- TNS
• Elle ilangiliye- Begada- Tiruppavai

Kum Srividya Lakshminarayanan, is the winner of the Mudhra Cutchery Competition of 2020 and Sangeeta Mudhra title sharing with another candidate- Bharat Narayanan. The winner of Mudhra’s Cutcheri competition is given a slot in the prime time in their Annual festival besides the cash award, certificate and she will get the golden opportunity of singing to the support of senior accompanists. She is a disciple of Vidushi Subha Ganesan who is a disciple of Maestro T.N.Seshagoplan.

Srividya is blessed with a pliant voice that has got gathram, range and admirable modulation most suitable for Carnatic music. She has got enough potential for blossoming into a consummate musician in course of time with her dedication, practice and guidance from her Guru. This recognition by Mudhra will bring her more visibility and definitely boost her concert career. Ritigowla Ata tala varnam is a good choice when Viriboni is the choice of many musicians. #2 Sugunamule is a best bet to bring in gusto and weight to the concert. Srivdya presented the song with the sangatis in tact and laced with enough bouts of kalpana swaras with laya intricacies. Aananda natana prakasam in a leisurely tempo was soothing.

Two ragams- Lathangi and Thodi were presented with step by step development and disclosing adequate manodharmam without leaving any of the minute nuances of the ragam. The characteristic phrases of the ragam were amply demonstrated. The kritis were presented in a medium tempo most suitable for the kritis. The neraval at Dharalona nee satti for Mariveredik and Paddu tappaga for Kaddanuvariki had many aha moments and the swaras added to the flavour. The post tani items were rendered with undiluted devotional fervour. I am hearing Govindamiha after many years. This was tuned by Doyenne Semmangudi.

The senior vidwans and vidushi who had accompanied the upcoming vidushi deserve appreciation. Usha Rajagoplan, with her long experience of accompanying many stalwarts provided commendable follow up on the violin. The thick and thin shades on the violin presented the raga essays beautifully and her neraval and swara returns were spot on. Melakkaveri Balaji handled the percussion with his sunadam, right volume and utmost understanding and anticipation. His patterns while filling the gaps were quite engaging. Adambakkam Shankar joined Balaji to present an impressive tani.

rajeshnat

Re: SRIVIDYA LAKSHMINARAYANAN IN MUDHRA 30/12/2020

Post by rajeshnat »

Crama
Thank you for the review . I may have forgotten or may be i have not yet heard the thillana of TNS in hameer kalyani. Just looking at the songlist ending in ragam begada is quite rare. Begada as the last drop is almost very new to me . Best wishes to this young vidushi Srividya Lakshminarayanan.

As a sabha Mudhra is doing a great job. In their 4 hour concert series most 4 hour concerts were performed by mahavidwan TNS . They picking ,awarding winner and promoting to main slot with more time to perform is a great initiative to encourage and cherry pick best of talents.

CRama

Post by CRama »

rajeshnat wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 14:07 Crama
Thank you for the review . I may have forgotten or may be i have not yet heard the thillana of TNS in hameer kalyani. Just looking at the songlist ending in ragam begada is quite rare. Begada as the last drop is almost very new to me . Best wishes to this young vidushi Srividya Lakshminarayanan.
There could have been a tirupugazh as the last piece. I am not sure. I could not hear after Begada.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 16:26
rajeshnat wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 14:07 Crama
There could have been a tirupugazh as the last piece. I am not sure. I could not hear after Begada.
Even if there are few thukkada numbers post begada my point is Begada does usually find some entry at the most as one of the segments of viruththam /slokham. This ragam begada does not enter as a thukkada standalone number. You can squeeze your memory and let me know if you have heard a begada thukkada. WIth me recollecting now ,it is almost No begada thukkada number ,barring may be a javali or something which i donot recollect now.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Begada padam Yarukkagilum bhayama is sung after the tani. Similarly I have heard DKJ singing Vaa Muruga Vaa after the tani. IN this concert, Elle ilangiliye is the Tiruppavai for that day. Hence she has included in the last leg of the concert. Probably, there must have been some 5 minutes time available and she chose to sing the days Tiruppavai.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 19:57 Begada padam Yarukkagilum bhayama is sung after the tani. Similarly I have heard DKJ singing Vaa Muruga Vaa after the tani. IN this concert, Elle ilangiliye is the Tiruppavai for that day. Hence she has included in the last leg of the concert. Probably, there must have been some 5 minutes time available and she chose to sing the days Tiruppavai.
Yaarukkaagilum or Vaa Muruga may be is sung bit like akhilandeshwari , kind of start of thukkada as a kind of bit longer krithi. I recollect one Yaarukkaagilum by TRS mama with breezy swaras, forgot at which drop trs sang that begada . My point is one usually does not hear begada as a part of core wagging thukkada tail Nice that she had a concert exactly to match begada tiruppavai day.

CRama

Post by CRama »

rajeshnat wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 20:26
CRama wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 19:57 Begada padam Yarukkagilum bhayama is sung after the tani. Similarly I have heard DKJ singing Vaa Muruga Vaa after the tani. IN this concert, Elle ilangiliye is the Tiruppavai for that day. Hence she has included in the last leg of the concert. Probably, there must have been some 5 minutes time available and she chose to sing the days Tiruppavai.
I recollect one Yaarukkaagilum by TRS mama with breezy swaras, forgot at which drop trs sang that begada .
Rajesh, Was that Yarukkagilum bhayama or Yarukkum adangatha Kali of HMB in Begada.