Vijay Siva, R. K. Shriramkumar, J. Vaidyanathan and S. Karthick, Yours Truly Margazhi, December 29, 2020

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
tmmurali

Vijay Siva, R. K. Shriramkumar, J. Vaidyanathan and S. Karthick, Yours Truly Margazhi, December 29, 2020

Post by tmmurali »

Here is a brief report on a concert by Vijay Siva, R. K. Shriramkumar, J. Vaidyanathan and S. Karthick at Yours Truly Margazhi, conducted by The Federation of City Sabhas. It included what appears to be a hoary tune, which was a novelty for me.

1. sadA bAla rUpApi
2. micro-alapana of shanmukhapriyA, siddhi vinAyakam with neraval at bAdra padamAsa chaturthyAm, swarams.
3. milli-alapana of suddha dhanyAsi followed by enthanErchina.
4. milli-alapana of kEdaram preceding Ananda natana prakAsham. Neraval at sangIta vAdhya vinOda tAndava, with fairly extensive swarams. He sang a short bout of chittaswarams following the swarams, which I have not heard before.
5. micro-alapana of kalyAni before kandEn kalithIrnthen.
6. alapana of savEri, durusuga, neraval at paramapAni kripAvani vinuta, swarams
7. thani avarthanam
8. vEyuRu thOLi pangan, pann piyanthai gandharam, thisra triputa thalam.
9. virutham followed by varumalagumo in manji. Peaceful and slow, like Madan Lal's off-breaks.
10. mangalam

It was an unhurried and leisurely concert, taking its time to smell the flowers, listen to the birds, and admire the scenery. Like travelling on the Bokaro-Madras express (other than its unexpected detours).

The elaborations of suddha dhanyAsi, kEdaram, and savEri were very good, showcasing his manodharma. RKSK returned with his usual class and at times outduelled Vijay Siva. Of the three neravals, the kEdaram and the sAveri stood out. I thought it was unusual to see a neraval in this particular shanmukhapriyA song.

I may be arriving late to this party but the memorable and surprising part was vEyuRu thOLi pangan, which he sang not as a virutham but in the pann piyanthai gandharam set to thisra triputa thalam. I am going by the annotation on the video for this information. The tune sounded like kurinji. Searching online for more information, the first source I came to was, of all places, the syllabus for the public examination in Thirumurai Pannisai at the Academy of Fine Arts in London. Page 12 mentions this pann for vEyuRu thOLi and says that the associated ragam is navarOz (see kurinji vs. navarOz). I then found a review on rasikas.org of a concert by Tanjavur Sankara Iyer where he sang this pothigam in navarOz. Finally, I chanced upon a rendition and another on YouTube, tunes that are the same as Vijay Siva's.

I hope we can see more of these original versions on the concert scene.