BHARAT NARAYANAN IN MUDHRA 29/12/2020

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

BHARAT NARAYANAN IN MUDHRA 29/12/2020

Post by CRama »

Accompanists- Kumbakonam M R Gopinath- Violin
B.Sivaraman- Mridangam
K.V.Gopalakrishnan- Ganjira.

Bharat Narayanan, aged 21 is the son and disciple of musician couple Sri.Palghat Sreeram and Smt Baby Sreeram. Bharat Narayanan is the winner of the Mudhra Cutchery Competition of 2020 and Sangeeta Mudhra title sharing with another candidate- Kum Srividya Lakshminarayanan. The winner of Mudhra’s Cutcheri competition is given a slot in the prime time in their Annual festival besides the cash award, certificate and he will get the golden opportunity of singing to the support of senior accompanists. This young man is sure to make it big in his career with his tutelage under the illustrious parents cum Gurus, dedication, hard work and focussed musical journey. He has got very good brigha laden voice that has got good throw, range, sweetness and power closely resembling his illustrious father. Has got the basics right given his lineage and has got the manodharmam and adequate repertoire, concert planning and bonding with the accompanists. It is 24 hours music in Sreeram’s household and the young boy is assimilating the huge legacy with determination and discipline.

Bharat commenced the concert with the sprightly varnam in Begada and followed with Vara vaarana vadanam, a composition of Puducode Krishnamurthy Sir in Panthuvarali ragam on Vinayaka. Puducode Sir has composed many kritis in Malayalam, Tamil and Sanskrit and Baby Sreeram is popularising them. The same song she presented in Academy a couple of years back. Bharat rendered in the kriti in a medium tempo and appended liberal doses of swaras.

Dayaleni- the monumental kriti of Tyagaraja in Nayaki was handled with elaborate raga alapana. This kriti was sung by legendary musicians like Semmangudi, Alathur Bros etc and presently gone into oblivion. Once I requested Baby Sreeram to sing it. Now Bharat has rendered the kriti in the leisurely kalapramanam and authentic sangatis.

The next raga chosen was Dhanyasi. Elaborate alapana highlighting the murchanas of the ragam and the kriti of Syama Sastri- Meenalochana was presented well with swarams.

I had expressed my anguish in an earlier review that out of the many kritis of Thyagaraja in Kalyani, only Etavunera and Nidhichala sukhama are repeated in the concert platform. Replying to my cry, Bharat sang a lovely Enduko nee manasu in Kalyani- not heard by me in the concert platform recently. The raga alapana was quie impressive, with Bharat’s pliant voice traversing the octaves with consummate ease. His manodharmam and voice modulation added flavour to the exposition. Neraval on the lines Saranagatha vatsala nammiti taaraka naama and following swaras were having enough laya exercise and attractive patterns.

Post thani, the evergreen javali – Smarasundaranguni in Paras and a thillana in Bindumanini brought the curtains down.

To an upcoming musician, it is challenging to share the dais with senior pakkavadyams. But Bharat exuded enough confidence on the stage. M.R.Gopinath provided good support on the violin. The sweetness of bowing and rich experience reflected in the alapanas and the swara returns. B.Sivaraman and K.V.Gopalakrishnan handled the percussion with aplomb. Their comradery, anticipation, clarity, and variety of strokes embellished the concert admirably.

rajeshnat

Re: BHARAT NARAYANAN IN MUDHRA 29/12/2020

Post by rajeshnat »

Crama
There was some video snippet where when Bharath was partly singing along with his amma Baby Sreeram and with his appa palakkad sreeram in the background with flute. I am not that familiar with Palakkad Sreeram, but his amma Baby Sreeram being a young disciple of TM THyagarajan has impressed me a lot.i did not know about vara vaarana in pantuvarali , would love to hear that in future. Finish with the brilliant bindumalini of LGJ must have been a great finish.

Best wishes to Bharath Narayanan, Thank you Crama, for your review.