S.SRIVATHSAN N MUDHRA-27/12/2020

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

S.SRIVATHSAN N MUDHRA-27/12/2020

Post by CRama »

S.Srivathsan is a disciple of Vidwan A.S.Murali and he is the winner of Sangeetha Mudhra title in 2019. I heard a few concerts of him during the lock down period and he impressed me a lot with his powerful voice, repertoire and manodharmam.

Commencing his concert for Mudhra with the Kalyani Ata tala varnam, he presented two kritis of Thyagaraja, which I have never heard in the concert circuit. Saari vedalina in Asaveri ragam set to Adi talam and Viraaja turaga raja in Balahamsa set to Adi talam. The kritis were presented in an appropriate kalapramanam and sufficient bouts of kalpana swarams added to the flavour. These kritis should get the patronage of other musicians to become popular among the rasikas. I wonder how many more kritis of Thyagaraja are there for exploration by vidwans.

Ragam Sahana was chosen for a detailed exploration. His unhurried alapana along the characteristic phrases with vinyasam at the key swaras and measured gamakams and brighas brought a kingly stature to the ragam. The kriti was Raghupathe Rama Raakshasa bheema. The leisurely kalapramanam ensured a grand exploration of the aesthetics of the kriti. Detailed neraval on the lines Niravadhi sukhadaaprameya Nirupama Naarada sugeya and kalpana swaras at the pallavi line brought out the manodharmam elements vividly adding to the wholesomeness of the kriti.

Sattileni in Poorvikalyani as the breezy filer just ahead of the centre piece made the detailed Bhairavi package sound doubly reposeful. Srivathsan revelled in its lilting sangatis and peppy chittaswarams, making it a real joyride.

The Ragam Tanam Pallavi in Bhairavi was the highlight of the concert. The alapana mostly traversed in the middle and upper sthayis but having its share in the lower range also before signing off. Bhairavi blossomed like a beautiful flower unfurling petal by petal revealing its myriad colours and fragrance. The baritone voice with its throw, manodharmam, lightning brighas made the alapana a cherishable sojourn. The tanam had many attractive patterns adding to the insight of the young musician. The pallavi lines Tamarasadala netri Thyagarajuni mitri was set in Adi talam. Ragamalika swarams in Bahudari, Arabhi, Ranjani, Nalinakanthi, Amritavarshini and Behag were much relishing.

After the tani, the Virutham Sediyaya valvinaigal of Kulasekhara Alwar was rendered in Saveri, Ritigowla, Kunthalavarali and Khamas followed by Karpuram Narumo- Nachiyar Tirumozhi. Paravaikkethanai- Tiruppugazh in Poornachandrika followed by a tillana brought the curtains down.

Vaibhav Ramani, the young violinist was a good match for the imagination of Srivathsan. His raga alapanas had imagination and repose. The swara returns were appropriate. On the mridangam, Karthick Ganeshraman’s accompaniment and the tani avartanam were marked by sunadam, dexterity and clarity of strokes. N. Rajaraman complemented well with his Ghatam.

rajeshnat

Re: S.SRIVATHSAN N MUDHRA-27/12/2020

Post by rajeshnat »

I have heard srivatsan and abilash singing along with as murali once in tambaram . I have not heard srivatsan singing a solo live concert hoping to catch him up soon. Both the asaveri and balahamsa krithis are new to me , assuming they came thru his paramaguru psn mama.

Also so nice to hear a rtp in Bhairavi. I am assuming his grand paramaguru ssi was his musical touchpoint to sing bhairavi pallavi

For a change you have got a Sahana as a sub main or main like drop . Quite a rare occurence for you to hear r n s Sahana that too with raghupathe.

Karthick ganeshraman name is new name to me. Assuming he is a youngster . Best wishes to srivatsan. Keep it up.