VENKATANAGARAJAN FOR NADA INBAM- 21/12/2020

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

VENKATANAGARAJAN FOR NADA INBAM- 21/12/2020

Post by CRama »

Accompanists.
B.Ananthakrishnan- Violin
Arjun Ganesh- Mridangam
Dr. Trichy Murali- Ghatam

The ongoing pandemic has brought insurmountable difficulties to people in every walk of life. The artistes community has been very badly affected financially and psychologically. But it cannot be denied that it has indirectly helped some category of people. When people realised that live concerts are only a distant dream, the concept of on line concerts expanded organised by many art lovers. In the process, my upcoming musicians got the opportunity to show case their talents. The musicians got adequate time to do sadhakam, add new songs to their kitty, fine tune the many songs which would bring them long term benefits. The on line concerts helped he budding musicians to establish a firm rasika base. With the surge in the quality of music plus the added rasika base, they are definitely on their way to the top position.

Venkatanagarajan is one such up coming musician who has utilised the last few months to acquire a definite position in the concert circuit. I have been following him ever since he secured the Mudhra Cutchery competition title. Last season I heard a few concerts and got convinced of his potential. He is disciple of Guru Smt Ambujam Vedantham of Trichy. But his vast repertoire, music and body language have a heavy influence of Sanjay Subramaniam. He is one vidwan who sings the rare varnam in ragams like Mukhari, Ahiri etc , which have been popularised by Sanjay. During the lock down period, he performed series of on line concerts and with his sincerity, dedication, varied repertoire, profound imagination, he secured a place in the hearts of thousands of rasikas.

The concert of Venkatanagarajan under the aegis of Nada inbam held in Raga sudha Hall was well planned and presented taking listeners to dizzying heights. This concert came as a whiff of fresh air amidst the many concerts that contained ragams like Kalyani, Poorvikalyani and Varali. The following song list will make it clear.
• Varnam- Kharaharapriya.
• Chandram bhaja manasa- Asaveri- MD (R,S)
• Venuganaloludai-Kedaragowla- T (R,N,S)
• Rame Bharatha palita- Jyoti- MD
• Karubaru- Mukhari- T- (R,N,S)
• Veyuri toli pangan- Virutham- Hindolam
• Oorilen kaani illai- Virutham- Kapi.
• Aadukindran ennul paadukindran- Kapi- Sudhananda bharathy.
• Mangalam

Ragams Asaveri, Kedaragowla and Mukhari were chosen for elaborate exploration. The deep resonant voice with its unlimited range, manodharmam, amazing breadth control, adherence to grammer etc was palpable in establishing an alluring picture of the ragams. The alapana of Asaveri was spot on. I have never heard such a detailed treatment of Asaveri. The raga alapana confined to its contours but highly imaginative in the sangatis. The kriti was rendered with strict adherence to its patantharam not disturbing the intense serenity. Ambujam Vedantham Mami is greatly respected in the music circuit for her authentic patantharam and repertoire of many rare compositions. Singing kalpana swarams in the Mattya talam itself is much challenging and Venkatnagarajan presented very attractive patterns in this talam in both the kalams. The myriad shades of the sadharana gandharam was skilfully projected in the kalpana swarams. Hats off to Venkat.

The next ragam Kedaragowla unfurled itself with its characteristic sancharams and vinyasa in the vantage points. The measured gamakams and lightning brighas illuminated the raga alapana greatly. The kriti Venugana loludai was presented neatly with all the sangatis. Neraval on the lines Vikasita pankaja vadanamu revealed his abundant manodharmam and musical acumen. The elaborate swara prastarams added colour to the entire exercise. The panchama koraippu swarams had variety and the complex korvai was executed with precision.

Mukhari was the ragam taken up for the main suite. Again an exhibition of his manodharmam bringing memoirs of Ramnad Krishnan. The plain notes, appropriate gamakams and brighas, filigree sangatis, micro tones, all in the right proportion to culminate in a beautiful edifice of Mukhari which will remain etched in our memory for quite some time. Karu baru was presented in an appropriate kalapramanam and detailed swara prasatarams vouched for his manodharmam and flowing ideas.

The varnam in Kharaharapriya is new to me. Rame bharata palita is a rare composition of Muthusami Deekshitar in the ragam Jyoti (Jyotiswaroopini) which Venkat presented with a flowing austerity and consummate virtuosity.

B.Ananthakrishnan on the violin proved as a very suitable match for the imagination of Venkat. His raga alapanas followed the structure of Venkat but had its own flourishes lavishly. During the alapana of Kedaragowla he squeezed the melody out of the scale. The neraval and swara returns were appropriate. Arjun Ganesh on the Mridangam played with understanding. His controlled volume, variety of strokes, handling of toppi all enchanced the enjoyment of the concert and Dr. Trichy Murali with his long experience combined well with the rest of the team and made the concert memorable.

This cracker concert of Venkatanagarajan will be ranked definitely as one of his best concerts in this season. The link for this concert is given below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZU2CF7OwtY
(R- Ragam, N- Neraval, Swaram)

sankark

Re: VENKATANAGARAJAN FOR NADA INBAM- 21/12/2020

Post by sankark »

CRama wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 20:18 will be ranked definitely as one of his best concerts in this season.
Yes, it is #1 so far this season for me. BAnanthakrishnan's KG was so sweet - the beautiful folkish section at the end of his vinyasam is perhaps a pointer to the origin of the ragam from folk's music.

sankark

Post by sankark »

And a firmly tongue in cheek comment: YouTube chat window could soon become a match making service - in addition to all the banter, music and otherwise, and badges and what not, those with sons/daughters of marriable age could start asking the "aathula irukkaala? naanga parthundu irukkom"?

Sigh: did I give Google an idea?

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

CRama Sir,
Listening to this concert, Vid.Venkatanagarajan with Vid.Anantakrishnan, Vid.Arjun Ganesh and Dr.Trichy Murali, my first in December'20, my realized truth that the young in age but very mature in musical age of manodharmam-many Vidwans and Vidushees are going to serve the cause of classical Karnataka Sangeetam in the present and in the future (grateful thanks to YCMA prodigal talents inspiring one next generation.
I had read some of your reviews in the past. This review is of high quality conforming to the principles and practices of music criticism-Karnataka Sangeetam. Keep the excellent work going and serve the cause of classical music.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

CRama wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 20:18 The varnam in Kharaharapriya is new to me.
As a vaRNam that is supposed to show case a rAgam, it nicely brings out the weaknesses of this mELam. The GAndhAra on the avarOhaNam in madya stAyi is always a problem in this one of the 72, sampURNa mELam! It is problem when they descent to land on the gamakam and problem when they ascent plainly like a keyboard.

That is a false dissonant gamakam that breaks apart the whole melody. This just belongs in the catalogue 72, as a member of a rationalized list!

Not many times, vARnams are heard in this rAgAm. I see one by Smt(s) Brinda / Mukta on youtube. But then they as musicians were not heard that much (onga UrukkAranE kEkkala, appuram tAnE veLiyaLukku badil pEsa muDiyum :P ), so no body can cite them!

This has also given raise to a false narrative that rAgAs are made up of phrases which can then be stitched together. oTTi oTTi oTTu veccu rAgam paNNIDalAmnu oru tavarAna puridal.

If the enjoyment of this sampURNa mELAM is a cultivated taste that has been accepted in the traditionally moulded rasika samudAyam(community), listening to sangIta vinyAsams from bAlya prAyam(childhood) or cultivated via sangIta siksha(learning music), that is OK!

But the same rasika samudAyam should muster the vIram, to put to rest any questions on why kaRnATaka sangItam is listened to by sampradAya rasikas and not by people at large and just stomp and shut up the post modern charlatans who raise a fit about all this.

As I write this, I am listening to his Ahiri vaRNam @ Kalakendra - adu nAnE cinna vayasula(my childhood times) , vikShEkam gada (tarangam) bhajanEla pAdirukkEn (sang that one). adellAm rAgam!! :D

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

munirao2001 wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 14:37 grateful thanks to YCMA prodigal talents inspiring one next generation.
This is a grand-fathered and grand-mothered generation that is more set on some of the basics. Venkat Nagarajan has good awareness of time flow unlike the look-alike that he is attributed with! ivALLAM pERA kozhandEL! oru generation skipped!

Sandeep Narayanan on the other hand for all his abilities, still vazhai vazhaiyAga viDukirAr - a cricketing expression used for badly beaten batsmen, as he lands.

When UKS does a stupendous hand off, like he did for Amrita Behag, you should see some of the golden era giants and others like Dr. BMK, TNS etc, take it from there. aduvE oru azhagu. There wouldn't be a blink of an eye there. That one moment is quintessential kARnATaka sangItam!

YACM , 1st gen is a failed generation in that respect! idukku mEla romba metaphorlAm illAma nEraDiyA solla muDiyAthu!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

On body language. Venkat Nagarajan forces his way through to deliver the music. In formative years , that is I guess to be ignored!

He should take cues from giants like UKS mama. SrI arupati naTEsaiyer would tie him to pillars and make him practice - goes the story. uralil kaTTikoLLalAm vai pottavENDAm. :D MridangatukkE asaiayAma vAsikka muDiyumna, vAipATTukku ivvaLavu asaivu tEvaiyillai ( if a mridangist can control his movements, a vocal person should be able to) .

naLLa gambhIramana mEDai dOraNai irundAl, sangItamum nalla pradipalikkum. Laya velaippADugal rasikar manatil paDiyum. Improving the stage presence is important as well and that by itself transmits majesty and an air of tradition to the rasikas , allowing them to absorb laya nuances along with a deep delivery of authentic Carnatic music.

It is not always that "sa-ri-ga-ma" makes music by itself. Like in Kharaharapriya it falls short some times. But a vidvAn can use their stage bearing and expression to convert such short comings to music.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

sankark wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 08:44 And a firmly tongue in cheek comment: YouTube chat window could soon become a match making service - in addition to all the banter, music and otherwise, and badges and what not, those with sons/daughters of marriable age could start asking the "aathula irukkaala? naanga parthundu irukkom"?

Sigh: did I give Google an idea?
inda maadiritAnE? https://youtu.be/LAh28GBJX2k?t=711 - angEyE naDantuccuna chaatla naDakuratulE enna praccinai!