K Gayathri@RR Sabha on Dec 17th,2020

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-----------------------------------------------
Vocal : Gayathri Kamakoti
Violin : M S Anantakrishnan (son of Parur MA Sundareswaran)
Mrudangam : B Sivaraman
Ghatam : Chandrasekara Sharma

Concert Type : Nirvana - no concert to follow
Day/Duration : Thursday /2 hours and 15 mins???
Hall : 3rd Floor Hall , Sundareswarar hall
Occasion : Atlast atleast to me 2nd live Kutcheri Season 2020

1. ???? I was late and I am assuming i joined with 2nd krithi
2. mArubalka (?, N,S) - shree ranjani - T
3 mins neraval in dAri nerigi santasilli naTTi
6 mins swaras

3. mAmava karuNayA manukula (R N S) - shanmughapriya - ST
11 mins alapana and 5 mins violin
8 mins neraval in pankaja nAbha shaurE
4 mins swaras

4. ennEramum undan sannidiyilE - devagAndhAri - GKB
5. ramachandram bhavayAmi (S) -vasantha - MD
2 mins swaras

6A. saraguna pAlimpa (R N S T) - kEdaragowali - Poochi
8 mins alapana and 4 mins violin
7 mins neraval in varaguNa shESAdri varada venkatEshvara
4 mins swaras
6B.tani for 18 mins

7A.Slokham -Shrutva gunaan bhuvana sundara -Poorvikalyani + Anandabhairavi +DarbariKanadA - bhagavatha purana
7B. gOvardhana giridhAri - darbAri kAnadA - NT

8. sakhi naan enna seiven -javali - paras - Dharmapuri subbarayar
9. nee nama roopamulaku - sowrashtram -T

rajeshnat

Re: K Gayathri@RR Sabha on Dec 17th,2020

Post by rajeshnat »

Vidushi K gayathri has a definite strength in presenting kutcheri with intense sampradayam. This concert i did go 10 mins late and I am assuming i caught from 2nd number which is marubalka. As i entered she was just wrapping up marubalka and racing towards the first line of neraval dARi nerigi. Gayathri guru Suguna Purushottaman learnt from both musiri(primary paramaguru) and semmangudi(secondary paramaguru). This marubalka irrespective of school takes a ssi trajectory. Neraval in shreeranjani was bit short but she made up very well with swaras .Percussion team enjoys this marubalka krithi and they got well set with this composition .

The submain was shanmughapriya. Gayathri voice is quite a marvel in lower and middle register .She sang beautifully the alapana though few slamdunks in higher register would have made me happier . The krithi mamava karuNayA is a rare krithi and I think i first got acclimitized with one of the 3 superstars of medievel era of shanmughapriya (Madurai Somu, Santhanam and the third S kalyanaraman). I am assuming lot of ideas came for gayathri through the immaculate rendition of this particular krithi by SKR. Lovely musiri neraval was showcased , i missed bit higher register takes as the raga shanmughapriya is very beautiful as it cruises towards the sky. Swaras were measured but well done .

The contrast of devagandhari with thamizh and GKB krithi was very thoughtful and did create an intense serenity. HOw GKB Pleads and how this devagandhari shines with leisurely steps , at times i also pay attention to thamizh words . The contrast of vasantha started with a right so called faster pace . But however she could not give enough momentum to the second half of song .Swaras in vasantha and her voice did not reach the right felicity.

Time for main and when it is not Big five , it is a good substitute to have kedaragowlai . Kedaragowlai alapana was bit curtailed she built up well , i felt she could have gone bit more . The famous poochi krithi saraguna palimpa was expected by me and i got only that .Krithi rendition was well done she adopted to go full round with the krithi and leisurely took up the questioning raga swaroopam of kedaragowlai and i enjoyed . Swaras were measured and she was bit more concerned to give a tani .

THe tukkadas was well done with the bhagavatha puranam slokham shrutva gunaan . Start in poorvikalyani and the end in darbari was well done . I took almost one full minute to recognize ananda bhairavi , possibly lack of concert exposure for even recognizing the basic anandabhairavi on time . This is the beauty of attending carnatic live concert , most basic anandabhairavi will elude you. The paras was quick it just raced towards the closure . I recognized paras in the first few seconds even though i have not heard this number . That is another surprise of how i get paras in one second and donot get ananda bhairavi in near 30 seconds. This experience is a joy of live concert where you personally are in a twilight zone with the sitter anandhabhairavi and the difficult paras .

The fourth generation parur fiddle son MS Ananthakrishnan played well . Last time when i heard i felt he was bit steady and watchful. In this concert at few distinct phases he was like his appa MAS showing bit more flamboyance in shanmughapriya . Bit more tonal quality would have made it better , all said he did well.

Last time when I heard B Sivaraman i found his play did lack a bit of muscle .This time he was ok on that front , he plays lots of patterns and at times he takes a significant lead time so when vocalist sing few sangathis repeatedly it makes an impact otherwise there is a percussion -vocal jelling delay. The pick of the four artists was indeed chandrasekara sharma . Chandrasekara sharma was extremely skillful . I could see traces of few popular ghatam artist like say Ghatam karthick with just one finger quick touches during course of song , going with the flow with a bounty of strokes like trichy murali and a nice hit as in HIT like SV ramani . His presence and play indeed lifted the concert . His tani portions were well designed and he played with brevity.

Vidushi K gayathri is gifted with a deep voice and approaches quite eclectically the concert . Little more akaaram and power in higher register and more importantly staying in that zone for a little more time will make her concert more remarkable. This concert tani could have been reduced atleast 5 to 7 mins .The vocalist could have had more air time for atleast one more impactful thukkada but there is always a next concert .

Overall a very good concert for 2 hours and 15?? mins

CRama

Post by CRama »

Rajesh. Thanks for your erudite review.
Sakhi naan enna seyven- javali by Dharmapuri Subbarayar.

Never heard of any javali in Tamil by the great composer. Was it originally composed by him in Tamil or is it a translation of some other javali.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

CRama wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 18:44 Rajesh. Thanks for your erudite review.
Sakhi naan enna seyven- javali by Dharmapuri Subbarayar.

Never heard of any javali in Tamil by the great composer. Was it originally composed by him in Tamil or is it a translation of some other javali.
This sounds like her guru’s translation of the original “celi nEneTlu sahintunE” in paraju...

kkbava

Post by kkbava »

Would you have the lyrics of this "sakhi naan enna" jAvaLi?
And, as per our reference books, "cheli nEneTlu sahintunE" is by Sri chinniah (https://javali.blog/2020/09/14/257-%e0% ... i-nenetlu/ )
Didnt understand your comment about translation of a Telugu jAvaLi (by chinniah) to a Tamil jAvaLi by Dharmapuri Subbarayar

regards,
kk
https://javali.blog

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Thought that was composed by her Guru Smt. Suguna Purushottaman - a vaRNa meTTU of that other javaLi celinEnETlu sAhintunE