Ramakrishna Murthy @ Kalasagaram Secunderabad - 4th Dec, 2020(Prem)

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shankarank

Ramakrishna Murthy @ Kalasagaram Secunderabad - 4th Dec, 2020(Prem)

Post by shankarank »

SrI RAmakrishna MUrthy - Vocal
Smt. Charumathy Raghuraman - Violin
SrI N.C BharadvAj Mridangam
SrI B.S PurushOthaman - Kanjira

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73buLnyx3rY

A very tasty concert ( suvaiyAna sangItam) from the able team. Ramakrishna Murthy selects the optimal pace of what sometimes feels like speed music of by gone era.

Heard it in sections and remember the main and post main only now.

Well just after I wrote the below, remembered the dEvAdi dEva - sindhuramakriya of tyAgrAja rendition with nice svarams. The kriti rendition nicely bridged over words across the samam.

mAmava mInAkshi in varALi as main with tani in miSracApu.
followed by maNirangu Alapana with a svAti kriti. ennEramum and then a dual rAgA pallavi (tODi , mOhana kalyANI) in miSRa tripuTa - 2 KaLai that started 3 offset (6 mAtrAs in higher kAla syllables).

pURvanga formation was 3(offset) , two 8(s) and 9 filled with some split to land on arudhi 3+16 + 9 = 28 = 7*4 (miSra laghu). Then 6 kArvai and the rest.

rAgamAlika svarams were also done in dual combos - like dhanyAsi and kalyAni ( IIRC) and sindhu bhairavi and behag etc.

Post pallavi was prAcIna upa vinyAsam taking couple of items , smara sundarAnguni and rAma jogi mandu konarE (kamas) from SemmanguDi mAma repertoire. A viruttam, a utsava sampradAya kriti SObhAnE (pantuvarALi) , tirumazhisai AzhvAr pAsuram ( naDanda kAl popularized by Sanjay also), kAkkaicciraginilE (brindavani), a tillana in unusual tAlAm with that fisty unusual angams, a tiruppugazh to conclude the concert.

tani by BharadvAj and Purushotaman for miSra cApu was some variation from pattern - for the tALam given. BharadadvAj gave it with dintha infused sollus which Purshottaman answered nicely. tAkkiTa - teekkiTa thom phrases reminded one of SrI Harishankar.

A very fulfilling concert. Seems out of Chennai orgs are giving extra time more than the seasonal 2.5 - the concert felt somewhat long. Not sure with the online medium, whether the Chennai concerts will be longer too?

shankarank

Re: Ramakrishna Murthy @ Kalasagaram Secunderabad - 4th Dec, 2020(Prem)

Post by shankarank »

For the pallavi, the trikAlam was done with caturASra triSra (1.5) + sama kAlAm (1) + 3 times in dRta kAlam ( 3*0.5 = 1.5) - a total of 4 Avartas , given that the pallavi starts in 3/4th spot (mukkAl iDam).

CRama

Post by CRama »

This concert of RKM was awesome. I presume this concert was the first concert after his marriage recently. After many months hearing a RKM concert with full accompaniments. His voice is in full form.

Apart from whatever shankarank has mentioned, there is a detailed exposition of ragam Jayamanohari and an unexpected kriti in that- Sree Ramyachithalankara. The alapana was very neat and clear from the opening phrases itself. The kalpana swarams were also crafted very intelligently.

The RTP deserves special mention. The alapanas were very straight. Here also in Mohanaklayani, the raga swaroopam was oozing out in every phrase right from the word go. The glide between ragams so seamless. The short kalpana swarams glide between behag and sindubhairavi- warrants repeated listening. The manodharmam is superb here.

The tail end pieces also convey devotional content quite eloquently. Nadantha kalkal- I had never heard this so far. Should hear it again.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Indeed I didn't want to skim through to collect the items - but memory is too short sometimes. Sree Ramyachithalankara is something I have heard only in Smt. T. Balasarasvati private concert recording posted in this forum. Did recollect that latter detail when I heard the kriti, somehow the last heard items overwhelmed by memory by the time I got down to write the post.