Sikkil Gurucharan & party for Swaralaya, Tampa, FL on October 04,2020

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Sundara Rajan

Sikkil Gurucharan & party for Swaralaya, Tampa, FL on October 04,2020

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Swaralaya live streamed the concert on the internet to its members and patrons for a nominal ticket.
A friend of mine had gifted me his ticket and planned to enjoy the concert in my company, but he could not join me !

V. Sanjeev- violin
Bharadwaj- Mridangam

The song list:
1. varNam- I missed this since I could not access the program in time
2. Siddhi vinAyakam anisam- shanmukapriya 7 min +5 min swara
3. VandanadhAriNi raga alapana for 7 min followed by GKB's "manamE unakkidhamai" for 5 min
4. AnupamaguNAmbudhi- AtaNa 5 min
5. KarnAraka dEvaghAndAri raga alapana 12 min. He announced this so, instead of as AbhEri-
naghumOmO with extensive neraval at paramAtamA evaridido for 17 min
5a. Thani for 5 min
6. Idathu padam of P.Sivan in kamas ,raga- 4 min
7. Chinnanchiru kiLiyE- As the song was started, transmission was interrupted for a few minutes. When it resumed after about five minutes, the concert had ended. The concert was for less than 90 minutes !

I will be charitable in my remarks. I had enjoyed several of Gurucharan's better concerts in the past !
My friend did not miss anything !
The accompanists did provide good support.

One comment I would like to make . Stage Artists who wish to announce the raga, composer etc. should do so by clearly enunciating the words so the audience, for whom it is meant, can hear it well. Of the many statements that Gurucharan made in today's concert, I could somewhat make out only one word, "karnataka devaghandari", the rest were all mumbled and inaudible. I am not hard of hearing, I most often complain about concerts being too loud !