Maharajapuram Ramachandran@Hamsadhwani(Adayar) on Mar 07th,2020

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Maharajapuram Ramachandran
Violin : Kumbakonam M R Gopinath
Mrudangam : Shertalai Ananthakrishnan
Kanjira : S Venakataramanan

Concert Type : Nirvana - No concert to follow , Ticketed concet
Day/Duration : Saturday / 2 hours and 20 minutes
sabha/Hall : Hamsadhwani/Indira Nagar, Adayar
Time : 6:30 to 08:50 pm
Sponsor : Padma Narasimhan

1. Came at the second half of nattaikurinji varnam
2. gaNanAthAya namastE(N,S)- gowlai - ambi dikshitar
neraval in mahAdEva guruguha samEtAya
swaras for 5 mins

3. sambhO mahadeva(N S) - pantuvarali -T
5 mins neraval in sambho Mahadeva
swaras for 9 mins

4. idathu padam thooki(R,S) - kamas - papanAsam sivan
5 mins alapana and 3 mins violin return
2 mins swaras

5. karpaga maNoharA - malayamArutham- papanAsam sivan
6. raghuveera ranadheera(S) - husEni - T
few mins of swaras

7. pada kamala brindaAvana vAsA (R) - mohanakalyani - Lakshmi Ramaswamy
6 mins alapana and 3 mins violin return

8A. vAnanai madhi soodhiya(R N S T) - keeravani -Appar
7 mins alapana and 4 mins violin return
neraval in veeranai vidamundanai for 3 mins
swaras for 6 mins
8B. tani for 15 mins

9.manavE mantrAlaya -suddasArang +bhAgeshri + chandrakowns?????? - padmacharan

10A. viruththam - puzhuvAi pirakkinum - kambOdhi + lalitha + revati - tevaram
10B. bho sambhO - revati - swami dayananda saraswati tuned by L Krishnan(dad of K Arunprakash)
11. pavamana

rajeshnat

Re: Maharajapuram Ramachandran@Hamsadhwani(Adayar) on Mar 07th,2020

Post by rajeshnat »

The day Saturday 07th March 2020 had quite a few choices. The muttuswami dikshitar day long akandam organized by a forumite suresh bopanna .He invites around 30 plus artists . Then there was a choice of a young vidushi spoorti rao in vani mahal. In adayar there was two evening combos in padmanabhaswamy temple but i choosed maharajapuram ramachandran in hamsadhwani. Last year I attended the same ramachandran in hamsadhwani when he sang beautifully for 2 hours and 45 mins and ended with a lovely tribute to manakkal rangarajan who just passed away around that day.

I entered bit late at around 06 35 pm the booming voice of maharajapuram ramachandran was ending with a flurry of swara patterns in nannu brOva. Last year in same hamadhwani for maharajapuram ramachandran ,mruduangam was patri this year mruduangam is shertalai ananthakrishnan giving a real tough fight in excellence .

Lovely gowlai followed with a rare ambi dikhshitar krithi . Gowlai is a beautiful raga his appa has sung sharana gatham endru. This raga has a special charm that too when swaras are on. Certain deep throated patterns especially in lower middle octaves showed the class of baritoned ramachandran.

What a joy it was for this veteran to take a risk after long gowlai with flashing swaras to go immediately with pantuvarali with neraval and swaras. Sambho mahadeva with neraval and swaras was simply fantastic . The maharajapuram and semmangudi schools have a lovely overlap of presenting pantuvarali , a little nidhanam where you get words like santhanam and then a swashbuckling electric semmangudi cheenu or viswanatha Higher was simply presentation music.

kamas alapana was crisp and as i expected the thamizh song idadu padam came in.Swaras in kamas were not that expansive ,but the krithi in kamas was superb.karpaga maNohara was sung with superb precision and malayamarutham evening breeze was only disturbed by occassional musquito bites in hamsadhwani

Two numbers that were sung last year in the same venue were again musically showcased. They were raghuveera ranadheera which oozed with immense classicism, huseni by maharajapuram school is intoxicating classical brewery that too with swara poruttam starting with ri ga and ending with raghuveera was a successful TNR-karaikurichi import into maharajapuram school

Ramachandran then sang a beautiful alapana in mohanakalyani and like last year he dedicated the song to Lakshmi Ramaswamy who was a patron vaggeyakkara who is no more with us. The alapana was just for 9 mins but it was distilled with superb brighas more like his extraordinary thatha he poured with great ideas. The krithi pada kamala is on raghavendra swami and certainly ramachandran sang with lovely vocal finesse and he dedicated to Lakshmi Ramaswamy . He forgot to mention the name of the vageyyakara but he said the vageyakkara used to visit often this hamsadhwani sabha. Keeravani as a main is not that often choosen by either santhanam in the past or even ramachandran . Personlly the alapana was well done . A bit excess rationing of neraval and swaras in keeravani was not to my liking but definitely the krithi rendition hit the sweet spot of sowkhyam with power that goes very well for keeravani.

manave mantralaya was emotive , I am not sure if the last part of ragamaliga was chandrakowns or kalyanavasantham ,his alankarams especially in the middle bhageshri was superb as the preceding suddasarang. Tevaram was brief as viruththam in expressive kambOdhi with he repeating the same lines for all 3 ragas.The sandwiched Serene lalitha between bhageshri and revati was also great . When revati was on with the viruththam there was no surprise for anyone when he segued to their flagship tukkada bho sambho.

MR Gopinath played with precision and his shurthi sowkhyam did take a notch up with the concert . Shertalai ananthakrishnan went with the flow of the song and was a sarvalaghu song. S venkataramanan played when he needed to and when specifically given signs by shertalai . I would humbly say S venkataramanan is one of the finest kanjira artist as he ensures not an iota of sound overload happens with kanjira. Their tani could have been slightly bettter in second half, but overall well done.

Few thoughts that could have been better
-----------------------------------------
1. Concert start time is 06 15 pm but i am asssuming like last year it started 15 mins late . I just entered at around 06 35 pm to hear the second half of nattaikurinji varnam. Let us not loose 15 mins time. Concert from say 06 15 to 09 00 pm would be ideal. With so many free concerts incentivize with bit more music please when it is a paid concert that too for some one visiting south chennai from central chennai .. I hope hamsadhwani sundar who appears fair and balanced does this correction to start on time and give atleast till 9 or 9 15 closure time.

2. About 20 years back when i heard once ramachandran teaming with his stock accompanists nagai murali and mannargudi easwaran in upanishad ashram in nungambakkam , that particular day the organization in nungambakkam did not advertise in the hindu. There was just 30 folks then and i was only below 30. Now after 20 years in 2020, there is absolutely no middle aged rasika below even 50 (just they were 3). Forget about youngsters in this indira nagar sabha even middle aged rasika is not coming to hear such pristine music even on a saturday night .Feeling so sad that even after 20 years i(We) could not bring any middle aged to young crowd of rasikas.

Special shout out for maharajapuram ramachandran
------------------------------------------------
He is still singing without any vocal support and to take up with such briskness like gowlai with detailed N and S and then another pantuvarali N and S speaks about his extraordinary musical capacity to sing with such vocal finesse. His illustrious appa santhanam had ramachandran or srinivasan or Dr Ganesh to give vocal support . Apart from Radel electronic tampura ramachandran had only Lord Shiva to support his sareeram. For some song he said inniku piradOsham. I adore ramachandran for one aspect , there are certain flashes like his grand dad maharajapuram vishwanatha iyer that was not even given by his appa santhanam .

OVerall a very good to excellent concert for 2 hours and 20 mins.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Hope to watch on utube
Nice review
Thanks

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

HarishankarK wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 01:15 Hope to watch on utube
I saw one lady briefly shooting with a mobile. I dont usually shoot as for me cm is aural music. I wish maharajapuram ramachandran has few chelas or some hard core fans like a typical sanjay or raga sisters .Snippets of music posted regularly in internet is a great marketing strategy. Some shots like mohanakalyani alapana, gowlai/pantuvarali packed swaras and neravals and ragamaliga -puzhuvai pirakkinum would have been great. No chance of you tube.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Mobile pic/sound quality won't be very good