Sriranjani Santhanagopalan @ Pa'Sa'Swamy Sabha

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sureshvv

Sriranjani Santhanagopalan @ Pa'Sa'Swamy Sabha

Post by sureshvv »

Mass Hypnotism in the carnatic hall. Huge & malleable audience willingly surrendering to blatant emotional manipulation.

Accompanists
-------------
B.Ananthakrishnan
Delhi Sairam
K.V.G (k)

Song list
--------
1. Chalamela (varnam), darbar
2. Viruttam, Chediyaya valvinai, lathangi
3. Venkataramana, Sivan, ns @ alarmel mangai manaala
4. Ahiri, Mayamma, SS
5. Tiruppugazh?, Misra jhumpa, Perava ara vaimai, 8 ragas 1 per line
Hindolam, Kuntalavarali, Begada, Lalitha, Kadanakuthuhalam, Bageshree, Atana, Surutti
Swaras
6. Paridanamichite, Bilahari, K.chapu, PSI
7. Reethigowlai, Satguru swamikki sAtiyu ledani, Poochi, ns @ sadguna sri sarasaksha
8. Viruttam, Kadhalagi kasindu, Kannada, hamsanandi, kedaragowla, Behag
9. Adum chidambaramo
10. Tillana, Kapi, MDR

Observations
-----------
1. It all started pretty normally - like many kucheris. With a varnam with 3 speeds IIRC. The energy level was high, sweetness in the voice was in abundance and mood was relaxed as befits a December morning.

2. The viruttam set the tone for the 1st part of the concert. I have heard this viruttam a million times - past masters, up and coming newbies and everyone in between - never quite like this. The music and the notes spoke the worlds as it were juxtaposing the Grandness of the Lord and the abjectness of the devotee in contrast.

செடியாய வல்வினைகள் தீர்க்கும் திருமாலே!
நெடியானே! வேங்கடவா! நின்கோயி லின்வாசல்
அடியாரும் வானவரும் அரம்பையரும் கிடந்தியங்கும்
படியாய்க் கிடந்துன் பவளவாய் காண்பேனே

Attention was lavished on the phrase "Padiyai". Lathangi sometimes gets impugned as a "scalar" raga - but we were witness to its magnificent scalar self forming the carefully laid out steps leading up to Venkatramana. The theme carried over to the swaras with some brilliant sawal-jawab with the violinist.

3. Ahiri alapana was mellow. Phrases were given enough time to sink in, quick flashes provided the briskness to keep the rasikas attentive. The kriti was rendered soulfully expressing the bard's angst in maatlaada rada most poignantly.

4. The 8 raga tiruppugazh was a clinic of sorts. I have not heard this piece before or any piece rendered in this fashion. The kriti was rendered first and then kalpana swaras in the same ragas, forward and backwards with different groupings. Left the audience breathless, not to mention the accompanists. :D

sureshvv

Re: Sriranjani Santhanagopalan @ Pa'Sa'Swamy Sabha

Post by sureshvv »

Accompanists were brilliant. B.Ananthakrishnan was a bit subdued and carefully chose his opportunities.Violin seemed to be mostly playing in the lower ranges, Delhi Sairam is a wonderful accompanist and does a great job irrespective of mike amplification level (just as effective in a Single mike concert). He should however temper his tendency of playing extra long teermanams :) KVG was at his self effacive best.

arasi

Post by arasi »

sureshvv,
"You went for a cliff hanger, didn't you?", is my response on reading your review now. Yesterday, I was puzzled when you just threw in that one opening line and no more! Sriranjini delighted me last season with her singing. I was awed by her abilities. How much she has been evolving, I thought, having heard her sing from her teen years. Her involvement with music is apparent in her singing. I bet her parents are mighty proud of her.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

The opening remarks were made more of a release for me at the concert venue than as a hook to engage the reader. :) As i recall she was in the middle of the Ahiri alapana with a long mmmm kara passage that lasted what seemed like several minutes & I could not resist the urge to tell someone.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

@sureshvv
Kindly arrange a recording of this concert to be made available to us. I really want to relive your experience. I know what you mean when you say:Hypnotic. I have called her Gana Mohini in a Youtube comment.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

arasi wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 13:36 How much she has been evolving, I thought, having heard her sing from her teen years. Her involvement with music is apparent in her singing. I bet her parents are mighty proud of her.
Yes. Has internalized every trick in the book :D and then some! Mom was there with an even more blissful look if that is even possible :D :D
Sachi_R wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 19:25 Kindly arrange a recording of this concert to be made available to us.
Had I expected the concert to turn out so well, I would have recorded it myself. It is only midway that I realized that this was something special. I really should be less cynical :D

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Portions of this concert on the radio this morning. With any luck KVG will have it at sangeethamshare soon,

Thanks to @sankark for the heads up.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Best parts of the concert may have ended up on the floor of the editor's workbench :roll: