Brinda Manickavachagam at Arkay 05-06-'19

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sureshvv

Brinda Manickavachagam at Arkay 05-06-'19

Post by sureshvv »

Exquisite single mike concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94R3FKpe6Xg

Two hours passed by in a jiffy. Aarabhi, Hameerkalyani and Begada were taken up for elaboration. Vardani kriti was presented for change of pace. Very fine four raga viruttam with some beautiful verses culminating in a not so commonly heard kriti in Surutti bore the stamp of Brinda. Must listen!

CRama

Re: Brinda Manickavachagam at Arkay 05-06-'19

Post by CRama »

Heard a few songs in the first half. Good concert.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Opening varnam - whose composition?
Never heard before
Interesting and unusual use of phrase 'Raman marugone'-felt a bit contrived as usually Murugan is Maal marugan or maalon marugane etc

Anywhere else anyone has used Raman marugane for Murugan??

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Just reached varnam and already appearing to be a great concert
Single mike- couldn't hear first two lines of varnam clearly

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

HarishankarK wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 13:40 Opening varnam - whose composition?
She announced it. Dr. S. Ramanathan.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

What's the motivation behind a single mike concert?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I don't really know the thinking, but the effect is more like a micless concert. The vocalist and the violin get just a little amplification.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Superb concert - I was only able to come for the begaDa (lOkAvana chatura) and the viruttham with bhava laden twists and turns, followed by a kriti of Gopalakrishna Bharati in Surutti followed by mangaLam.

Excellent imagination and phrasing by Smt. Brinda and Usha Rajagopalan on the violin and great tani by Melakkaveri Balaji. Neraval on bEgaDa was top class.

Just one point - I feel vocalists could do with some more top end range and power these days - no matter how gently a mridangam plays, even without a mic, a mridangam has a certain amount of power after all. That extra reach up there would also allow vocalists to more freely express their ideas without tapering off. All vocalists today have large lower octaves, but it has come at the expense of more power at the top - that isn't an issue with a mic, but without it, it shows.

I totally blame modern apartments for this one.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

SrinathK wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 18:12 the viruttham with bhava laden twists and turns, followed by a kriti of Gopalakrishna Bharati in Surutti followed by mangaLam.
It was a perfect finish. Normally, I'd be expecting/hoping for thillana, but this time I ws hoping she would not sing one, and she didn't.
Excellent imagination and phrasing by Smt. Brinda and Usha Rajagopalan on the violin and great tani by Melakkaveri Balaji. Neraval on bEgaDa was top class.
Very much so. It is a rare pleasure to hear mridangam as it sounds. It is usually ruined by amplification. A player naturally balances right and left, but this balance is so often broken by the sound guy making the left side boom over everything.
Just one point - I feel vocalists could do with some more top end range and power these days - no matter how gently a mridangam plays, even without a mic, a mridangam has a certain amount of power after all. That extra reach up there would also allow vocalists to more freely express their ideas without tapering off. All vocalists today have large lower octaves, but it has come at the expense of more power at the top - that isn't an issue with a mic, but without it, it shows.

I totally blame modern apartments for this one.
I blame amplification itself: voice projection is not seen as a necessary skill. I think this conversation happened on the forum many times! Brinda did a good (and beautiful) job. Another 3-6 dB from her voice would have been great, but I was listening, not counting! It is no bad thing for the audience to have to work a little to hear.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

sureshvv wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 08:57 Exquisite single mike concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94R3FKpe6Xg

Two hours passed by in a jiffy. Aarabhi, Hameerkalyani and Begada were taken up for elaboration. Vardani kriti was presented for change of pace. Very fine four raga viruttam with some beautiful verses culminating in a not so commonly heard kriti in Surutti bore the stamp of Brinda. Must listen!
Here are the two viruttams presented at 2.07.30 :-

https://youtu.be/94R3FKpe6Xg?t=7650

(1)
திருமங்கையாழ்வார் (பெரிய திருமொழி)

கருமுகில் போல்வது ஓர் மேனி கையன் ஆழியும் சங்கும்
பெரு விறல் வானவர் சூழ ஏழுலகும் தொழுது ஏத்த
ஒரு மகள் ஆயர் மடந்தை ஒருத்தி நிலமகள் மற்றைத்
திருமகளோடும் வருவான் சித்திர கூடத்துள்ளானே.

tirumangaiyAzhwAr (periya tirumozhi)

karumukil pOlvadu Or mEni kaiyan Azhiyum shankum
peru viral vAnavar shUzha Ezhulagum tozhudu Etta
oru magaL Ayar maDandai orutti nilamagaL maTRai
tirumagaLODum varuvAn chittira kUDattuLLAnE

(2)
திருநாவுக்கரசர் (தேவாரம்)

படைக்கலமாக உன் நாமத்து எழுத்து அஞ்சு என் நாவில் கொண்டேன்
இடைக்கலம் அல்லேன் எழு பிறப்பும் உனக்கு ஆட் செய்கின்றேன்
துடைக்கினும் போகேன் தொழுது வணங்கித் தூ நீறு அணிந்து உன்
அடைக்கலம் கண்டாய் அணி தில்லைச் சிற்றம்பலத்து அரனே.

tirunAvukkarashar (tEvAram)

paDaikkalamAga un nAmattu ezhuttu anju en nAvil koNDen
iDaikkalam allEn ezhu piRappum unakku At sheikinREn
tuDaikkinum pOgEn tozhudu vaNangit tU nIRu aNindu un
aDaikkalam kaNDAi aNi tillai ciTRambalattu aranE