Venkata Nagarajan, Naada Inbam, 25/Sep/2016

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sankark

Venkata Nagarajan, Naada Inbam, 25/Sep/2016

Post by sankark »

in YT @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umsJ1JA5_ao through Parivadini.

Sanjay's sishya?

CRama

Re: Venkata Nagarajan, Naada Inbam, 25/Sep/2016

Post by CRama »

Venkat Nagarajan is a student of Guru Ambujam Vedantham Mami of Trichy

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

He sings some of the same rare songs that Sanjay does (like the one in Komalangi) imparted to him by his Guru who learnt it from Sanjay!

CRama

Post by CRama »

Guru Ambujam Vedantham is a super senior vidushi and is treasure house of many rare compositions. Her group came and made a presentation in Narada Gana Sabha two years back. Their group had released two CDs which were sold in NGS. So she will not come to Sanjay to learn any rare composition. The reverse could have happened or both could have learned from independent sources.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

When it is a field as vast as CM, we are all on the seashore. Some of us are ankle deep, some others are waist deep. The authentic vidwans/vidhushis are always eager to learn.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Folks!
First off, I heard this concert and think that Venkatnagarajan is getting better and better every year! I hear him every season.

Sankark surely knows that he isn't Sanjay's student :) It's just that the concert had almost all songs from Sanjay's list :)

Did anyone hear his Academy concert recently? He normally sings one of his guru's varNams or compositions in his concerts. I do think that he gave a 'what a Sanjay fan I am!', one of a kind concert here. He did very well too.

Over the years, I used to tell him: please don't keep your eyes closed all the time! Please smile a bit! Interact with fellow artistes! He's doing all that (last year, I wasn't in Chennai and so missed a year in listening to him).

Finishing his thesis at IIT now...

As for the learning of the kOmalAngi or any other uruppaDi, I don't think AA or SS did, from each other. AV has learnt songs from stalwarts--TRS, S.Ramanathan and others in the past.

Happy to say, AV is being honored by Karthik Fine Arts this season with a Distinguished Teacher Award...

sankark

Post by sankark »

arasi wrote:Folks!

Sankark surely knows that he isn't Sanjay's student :) It's just that the concert had almost all songs from Sanjay's list :)

Did anyone hear his Academy concert recently? He normally sings one of his guru's varNams or compositions in his concerts. I do think that he gave a 'what a Sanjay fan I am!', one of a kind concert here. He did very well too.
After the fact arasi, after the fact. I just posted that message while listening to the concert with no googling. pallAndu and then subsequently pollAppuli and then that KHP AlApanai - that was reminiscent of a KHP AlApanai I heard in a SS double cassette album loong back, guess it was for jAnakipathE jaya kArunya jaladhE - gave me that thought, "another sanjay sishya/clone"?

Third V to my "like" list after Vivek Sadasivam & Vignesh Ishwar

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sankark,

I presumed you've heard him and have known about him, your being a regular at Raga Sudha Hall. Sorry.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

sankark wrote: gave me that thought, "another sanjay sishya/clone"?
Neither sishya nor clone. But inspiree I am sure. There are several, when you take a second look.

arasi

Post by arasi »

True.

Sankark has added another V name to his list of young hopefuls, which means he feels that way too.

meerag56

Post by meerag56 »

He is truly good. Young and humble, still

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Hangs out with the Youtube audience on occasion :)

sankark

Post by sankark »

And he called someone a pAtti too in the comments. Now any lapse in lakshya lakshana or even singing ennadi muniyamma on the stage could be overlooked. Can this be? :twisted: Where's the outrage?

PS: that's why the Tamil language stopped at pEriLam peN, IIRC. Wise vocab.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Aah.. still green behind the ears... His guru hasn't instructed him of the proper chennai etiquette of calling them "yekka" yet :D