Abhishek Raguram- Pallavi Darbar- 2015

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
grsastrigal

Abhishek Raguram- Pallavi Darbar- 2015

Post by grsastrigal »

Pallavi Darbar- Abhishek Raguram, H N Bhaskar, Umayalpuram Sivaraman, Purushottaman.
5th July 2015
It was a memorable Sunday, as Abhishek gave a stellar performance of Ragam TAnam Pallavi.
Sometimes, it is better not to review his concert. Let me tell some of the excerpts of that concert:
It was held in Mylapore Fine Arts under the auspices of pallavi darbar along with who else “nalli”
Sri. Umayalpuram Sivaraman Tani lasted for 35 minutes. Along with Purushottaman, he once again proved why he is a living legend/”kaliyuga nandi” - No words to define his Tani.
AR took Shankarabharanam as Ragam for RTP. He rendered three kritis
Varnam- swami nine kOri
RTP-Shankarabharanam- “sakkahAri bhajana”- Pallavi line. Famous Pallavi, popularized by Sri.SSI.
Pavanaja –mangalam-same Ragam.
Programme started at 7.30 PM and went beyond 9.30 PM. I left by that time.
He started thanking Karnatika and Parthasarathy Sabha for bringing Umayalpuram Sir to play along with him. He mentioned SSI’s famous RTP, where Sri.Umayalpuram played. He added that it is fortunate to see US accompanying for the same RTP (same pallavi).
From his own words.
“Inspiration from listening the concert of Sri.SSI, my guru’s guru. That concert was accompanied by Sri.Sivaraman Sir. Selected this pallavi specifically for this concert the play along with Sivaraman Sir.”
He said. “As a deviation from tradition, I request US sir to accompany me for Tani also. Legend sitting next to me, I think of using this.”
US said- “Iam ready for anything”
Tanam- US played along with AR. What a combination. It was………….simply touching and amazing. How two generation artists come together and simply giving breathtaking “puDIs”…. Seeing /listening is believing…..

After completing the Tanam, AR called for Tani. US said, appAda….and then started his Tani.

I have two questions here-
Is he referring SSI concert (where SSI speaks- rice kkuthan ration, claps kku onnum illai….. )
What is the meaning of the pallavi ? From which kriti, is it taken ?

At the swaram, AR had, in his mind, something different.
He said. “Two most important things for swaram- Notes for melody and sollukattu for rhythm and with the guidance of US, let me mix both Notes, sollukattu and present the swaram”
Like “Ma ga ri ga ma …tata thin thOm.”.
H N Bhaskar’s return was equally too good.
The same way, US played Swaram in mridangam, HNB played along with him.
For the youngsters who had gathered for participating in a concert and for others, it was very enjoyable concert.
I have not recovered from t his concert still. Continue with some more after a day. Purushottaman in Kanjira was another revelation. Along with US, he proved his "talent" accompanying US.

kvchellappa

Re: Abhishek Raguram- Pallavi Darbar- 2015

Post by kvchellappa »

It was not Purushotthamaan, sir, Sundar Kumar and he blended with US competently.
The mangalam was sitakalayana vibhogame. I used to enjoy the MBK singing, but after listening to AR, I have changed loyalty.
AR explained some kanakku before mangalam.
Another novelty was AR singing some ending line with Tani of US.
AR is a blend of experimentation, excellence and reverence for tradition. US described him aptly.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Abhishek Raghuram is making waves as one of the finest musician at a very young age.No song is sung in a routine way Even very popular ones like Nagumomo,Vatapi Ganapitam etc come for a detailed treatment with challenges to accompaniments.But sometimes sense of proportion is missing with long alapana.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

grsastrigal wrote: He said. “As a deviation from tradition, I request US sir to accompany me for Tani also.
GRS
You must have meant UKS sir to accompany abhishek in taanam . What a joy it must have been to hear Abhishek with umayalpuram sivaraman mama . I wish I was there . Sundarkumar is also a joy with HNB.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

grsastrigal wrote: RTP-Shankarabharanam- “sakkahAri bhajana”- Pallavi line. Famous Pallavi, popularized by Sri.SSI.
sakkagAni bhajana jEsE vAriki takkuva galadA shrI rAmA dina dinamu is the pallavi line that SSI popularized that abhishek sung .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

grsastrigal wrote: Sri. Umayalpuram Sivaraman Tani lasted for 35 minutes. ” - No words to define his Tani.
AR took Shankarabharanam as Ragam for RTP. He rendered three kritis
After completing the Tanam, AR called for Tani. US said, appAda….and then started his Tani.

At the swaram, AR had, in his mind, something different.
He said. “Two most important things for swaram- Notes for melody and sollukattu for rhythm and with the guidance of US, let me mix both Notes, sollukattu and present the swaram”
Like “Ma ga ri ga ma …tata thin thOm.”.
H N Bhaskar’s return was equally too good.
I just heard the concert thru web stream. May be taanam was not that enjoyable and I felt the tani was too long one . But the creative element of Abhishek was in full form- adding solkattu rhythmically was a great try . Alapana was most enjoyable to me.

UKS mama speech was great.

CRama

Post by CRama »

The master of creativity- Abhishek Raghuram teamed with the Doyen of Rhythm Dr.Umayalpuram Sivaraman. For further support there were H.N.Bhaskar on the violin and Sreesunderkumar on the Ganjira. This combo raised high expectations from the day the programme was announced and it was a moment of ecstasy for those present in the huge Mylapore Fne Arts Club Hall. The hall was full to witness this great event.

Abhishek chose ragam Sankarabharanam for the day. He commenced the concert with the Adi tala varnam- Sami nine. He then started the alapana of Sankarabharanam which he did in two stages consuming about 25 minutes. What I liked immensely about this young vidwan is his voice and his brighas are just falling at right place always blending with his rich manodharmam His voice at his best, he built sangathi after sangathi around all the key swaras in a methodical fashion like an expert architect. His voice covered a wide gamut from tara sthayi dha to mandra sthayi ga. The cascade of sangathis in the mandra sthayi are unhreard so far. UKS joining with Abhishek in the tanam made it a most memorable experience.

The pallavi- popularised by SSI- I remember to have heard this pallavi in many concerts of SSI. This pallavi also is something special. It is in Adi talam 2 kalai and the pallavi is covered in two cycles of the talam. It has got two arudis. I could never get the words of the pallavi in the SSI version, but I got it correct only from Abhishek. Swaras were a combination of sollukattus and swaras which was also something new and it came off very well. HN Bhaskar’s violin returns were very apt and enjoyable.

The tani of UKS with Sreesunderkumar took 35 minutes and it was simply electric. Sreesunderkumar proved himself a perfect match for the virtuosity of the Doyen of Mridangam. At the end, Abhishek demonstrated the same pallavi in various nadais- by singing poorvangam and utharangam in different nadais which will be very useful for the music students. In an earlier year, pallavi exponent J.Venkatraman Sir made this demonstration. Abhishek concluded his programme with Seeta Kalyana Vaibhogame in Sankarabharanam instead of the usual Kurinji. For this, he had to alternate between two sthayis.

The audience for this high profile concert included many musicians like PSN Sir, Chitravina Narasimhan Sir, Suguna Varadachary, Sudha Raghunathan (who stayed till thanam), Cleveland Sundaram, Akkarai sisters with their parents, Neyveli Narayanan, and a big crowd of music students. I have never seen this crowd of youngsters in any concert. UKS said that this is the first time he is playing in Pallavi Durbar and he lavishly appreciated Abhishek. Abhishek also many times thanked the organisers for giving this opportunity and also UKS sir to agree to play for him.

I could not see this concert in YT. Probably they may be thinking to release this as a commercial CD. (Many of the earlier Pallavi Durbar concerts of Abhishek has been released as CDs.) I pray that concert should be released commercially so that it will reach discerning rasikas at large. People who go to Abhishek’s concerts – pl carry extra cash. His Cds will be available for sale in the venue and you won’t get it in any store.

tiruppugazh

Post by tiruppugazh »

many musicians like PSN Sir, Chitravina Narasimhan Sir, Suguna Varadachary, Sudha Raghunathan (who stayed till thanam), Cleveland Sundaram
The Mafia Don is now a musician!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

CRama
My friend, your writing is always special and I look forward to it.
I missed the YT webcast. I dearly hope for a recording.
Thanks
sachi

sitaky

Post by sitaky »

Could someone provide me with the link for Abishek's concert? Thanks in advance.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

It is not available now. That is why request for CD has been made.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Real miss for many including me!
Btw, What's the meaning of the Pallavi?

CRama

Post by CRama »

Somebody knowing telugu may kindly chip in.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

My try to give the meaning :

sakkagAni bhajana jEsE vAriki takkuva galadA shrI rAmA dina dinamu

Won't Rama be available (ie come) to those who pray to Him the right way always?

That means that
Those praying to Rama always the right way (with Bhakti and Virakti) will always attain Him.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

RSachi - thank you for the words and explanation - reading the first report, I was wondering if the pallavi had something to do with being a vegetarian or vegan (शाकाहारी).... :)

VijayR

Post by VijayR »

Rsachi wrote:My try to give the meaning :

sakkagAni bhajana jEsE vAriki takkuva galadA shrI rAmA dina dinamu

Won't Rama be available (ie come) to those who pray to Him the right way always?

That means that
Those praying to Rama always the right way (with Bhakti and Virakti) will always attain Him.
Close, but not entirely there...

takkuva = deficiency
galadA = will there be
dina dinamu = everyday
jEsE vAriki = who does
bhajana = bhajana/worship :-) (can also be loosely interpreted as singing)
chakkagAni = that is wonderful/beautiful

So, the meaning is "Oh Rama, will there be any deficiency (i.e., lack of anything) for one who does beautiful bhajana?" This is something that I -- and I'm sure many other rasikas -- have wondered (and wished for) many a time while walking out after listening to a spectacular kutchery, having been fully satisfied.

chakkagAni can also be broken into "chakkaga + Nee", and the meaning slightly changes to "Oh Rama, will there be any deficiency (i.e., lack of anything) for one who does beautiful worship of you?" This, I guess, applies to all humanity and not just musicians.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Abhishek was simply great. BhAva-filled singing. Experts would know, but even those of us who find technicalities beyond us were in for a treat.

What a SankarAbharaNam :)

Panthula Rama was riveting as well.

Carnatica,
Kudos again!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Pallavi Durbar of Abhishek is not available
Last edited by hnbhagavan on 08 Jul 2015, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Post No.8

It is not understood why such sarcastic comments are made for an upcoming young Carnatic Musician.Such postings are not in good taste.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

The remark, I think, is about the last mentioned person, who is not a musician, but the comment did not appear to be funny or appropriate to me.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Part II of my concert review:

I wanted to start the thread like this,

"Flanked by two Sangeetha kalanidhis, Sri UKS and Smt Sudha, and Sangeetha kala Acharya, Shri PSN, Sangeetha kalAnidhi 2016 - Abhishek raguram presented a brilliant/manO dharmatic RTP in Shankarabharanam;"

Still, I would not say, it was his best RTP in Skbm, Two years back, he presented, in the same venue, RtP in the same raga. That would be still better for me.

I forgot to mention the venue. MFAC needs to take the “Airconditioning the venue” seriously. It was a pathetic show from the organizers. With no air conditioning around and temperature was at its worst at 108 degrees on that day, it was nightmare for rasikas and especially the artists..

The Tavil Vidwans (Injikkudi nadaswaram team) were sweating like anything. Lucky those, who watched it in web-stream.
HN Bhaskar and Sundarkumar also faced the unbearable heat.

Second, about UKS. I observed one important thing while he was playing Tani. I don’t know wheter my inference is correct or not. Purely my observation. Not to "disrespecting" the vidwan or to hurt the rasikas. He never turned to his left and appreciated Sunderkumar (thanks to Mr.kvchellappa for correcting me) throughout the concert. He was just staring at AR or PSN (sitting in the first row)
I did not see this “attitude” in Mannargudi Easwaran or Trichy Sankaran. They,at least, say “balE”, aha or put talam along with the artists, looking at the Kanjira vidwan/Ghatam.

I did not know what UKS was thinking those "Tani"moments, At least a smile, during Tani, would have made SK's day.

If I were the Ganjira Artist, I would be disappointed such a great legend did not even smile/appreciate me during the Tani.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

grsastrigal wrote: I forgot to mention the venue. MFAC needs to take the “Airconditioning the venue” seriously. It was a pathetic show from the organizers. With no air conditioning around and temperature was at its worst at 108 degrees on that day, it was nightmare for rasikas and especially the artists..

The Tavil Vidwans (Injikkudi nadaswaram team) were sweating like anything. Lucky those, who watched it in web-stream.
HN Bhaskar and Sundarkumar also faced the unbearable heat.
GRS,
May be few structural changes to perhaps not hear the 12B bus horn, but let there be no AC. Lot of halls start with AC and after few years the maintenance will be a problem and it will only aggravate the wheeze for many . Holding concerts in chennai during summer is rare - it is just two days let all of us enjoy the sweat. If they solve this problem of AC in summer imagine the AC effect on margazhi .

Sweat produces little more heat in the body :arrow: the heat flushes out congestion :arrow: that can give more nAdham .For sure HN Bhaskar who appears mostly settled in New zealand needs that extra workout and sweat :mrgreen: .

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Rajesh,
What an eloquent testimonial for sweat! You're a genius :D

I once spent 40 min in a sauna heated to 45-50 C. It was a scary experience. And no Kalyani RTP singing "takkuva galadA"...

CRama

Post by CRama »

grs. thanks for your part ii. In many earlier occasions, I have observed that UKS do not give adequate space for the upapakkavadyam. This is known to the artistes as well as seasoned rasikas also. That day Sreesunderkumar proved that he is 100% qualified to share the dais with the Doyen. Each round of mridangam and ganjira during the tani received thunderous applause.

I would like to get a review of Injikudi concert from you.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Here is a clip from Indian Raga where Abhishek has guided the students to sing Sri Varalakshmi:
https://www.facebook.com/IndianRagaProj ... =2&theater

I remember his singing the song in BGS, the best I have heard.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

The credits say that he guided them for the Sree ragam arrangement. Not sure if he approved the Varali extrapolation.

erode14

Post by erode14 »

grsastrigal wrote:
He never turned to his left and appreciated Sunderkumar (thanks to Mr.kvchellappa for correcting me) throughout the concert. He was just staring at AR or PSN (sitting in the first row)
I did not see this “attitude” in Mannargudi Easwaran or Trichy Sankaran. They,at least, say “balE”, aha or put talam along with the artists, looking at the Kanjira vidwan/Ghatam.

I did not know what UKS was thinking those "Tani"moments, At least a smile, during Tani, would have made SK's day.

If I were the Ganjira Artist, I would be disappointed such a great legend did not even smile/appreciate me during the Tani.
Please see this 2 minutes video clip and count how many times (00:23, 1:30 and more) shrI UKS Sir appreciates Sundarakumar in this small clip itself.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0985209760

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Erode14,
We shouldn't let this one point of discussion snowball into a big debate.

No doubt Sri Umayalpuram Sivaraman is a timeless legend in mridangam art. He can't be where he is and not appreciate the others, especially youngsters. His many students would know his modes and gestures of appreciation.
But for a less informed and casual viewer like me, it would always seem he is a bit stingy in appreciating upa-pakkavadyams, especially when the age and reputation difference is big. It is, as the say, "stage optics". Look in the same clip the way Abhishek is responding to both of them.

But my FINAL take on this: Any day, I mean any day, Sri Sivaraman gives an immeasurably grand experience of mridangam play, especially when main artistes are doing well. The upa-pakka-vadyam is always a bit peripheral and marginal in his presence.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

After all Mridangam has two sides.

a.satya

Post by a.satya »

Is there a recording of this concert available anywhere? If so, could someone please forward it? Would be greatly appreciated...