Random kucheri notes

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Re: Random kucheri notes

Post by rajeshnat »

vasanthakokilam wrote: I will have to do an experiment by asking people who are at different radiuses. We see film music singers, even great ones (like Lata, Suseela, Janaki level) look at notes for songs they probably have sung thousands of times and that crowd does not seem to make a big issue out of it.
Singing film songs is purely kalpita no kalpana . Singing CM is kalpana and kalpitha , while I am okay for performing artists to refer and strengthen their kalpitam here and there , but the drawback is musician internalizes little less and kalpana becomes a casualty (very light or fatal) depending on artist .

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

rajeshnat wrote: Singing film songs is purely kalpita no kalpana .
I am not so sure. P.Susheela sings so many podi sangatis and I wonder if these are all the creation of the music director. The "live" versions are also quite different (may be deliberate).

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Venue: MFAC

Apoorva Krishna (Violin)

Very nice & consistent tonal quality

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Yes agree. I was there towards end when dhanyasi was going on, behag thillana was nice

arasi

Post by arasi »

Extra points for the US :)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Sorry to miss her solo.her accompaniment is wonderful.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

I don't know why the artistes refer to notes but i don't think any of us can answer that unless we are sitting in the dias for a 2.5 hour concert.
I have learn't a few krithis from my guru in the past 8 months and i have always noticed that he forgets the lyrics very often. He taught me Manasa Etulo and we used to practise it twice every week during my classes for over 3 months and everytime he used to forget the lyrics in the pallavi, confuse the charanams etc etc.
He had the same problem teaching me Sri Saraswathi Namostuthe also. He always used to look to me for starting the lyrics and he used join me while singing. As though he had some obsessive compulsive disorder to forget.
And now we are learning Vatapi Ganapathim but for this he never forgets the lyrics and here i very often forget because of the tough prose of the lyrics.

Maybe it's stress, or nervousness or time keeping or maintaining control or just for confidence - there can be many reasons why lyrics are referred to by artistes on stage. Sometimes the mind dwells more on presentation and manodharma and bringing in new sangatis then it is possible to forget the coming lines even for a well internalised song.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Very fair and reasonable :)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Yep, same here. Very well said Harishankar!

Just to be sure, this is not a pro-book or anti-book aspect.
While it is definitely a better stage presence and demeanor when singing by looking straight at the audience or his fellow players or even close the eyes occasionally, our(the CM fraternity's) gut and programmed mental response when a book makes it's appearance on stage needs to be a bit more empathetic and tolerant.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Chinmaya sisters
Mysore Srikant
Melakkaveri Balaji
Sivaramakrishnan (G)

Absolutely deafening sound.

1. Varnam, Saveri
2. Varana mukhava,
3. Dhenuka alap, Teliyaledu rama, swaras
4. Giripriyam gangadharam, kadhanakuthuhalam, adi, HKMB
5. Mokshamu galada, saramathi, adi, T (from anupallavi)
6. RTP, Ramapriya, adi khanda nadai

rama srirama seetharama ¦
raghukula soma maruti priya ¦¦

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

heard few concerts - some of them bits and pieces...

1. Abhishek at panchamukha anchaneyar (chitra kulam, Mylapore) : Began with wonderful Nattakurinji... It was slow compared to his standard, elaborate, soothing alapana... he also sang a great poorna shadjam, and then sahana... I had to leave after that..

2. Caught up with NSG in MA, cheta sri and then brief pallavi in sowrasstram...

3. Vasudha Ravi in MA : She sang good kantamani, and lalitha for main... Lalitha didn't go on well with me, it was little dragging... She sang agasteeshwaram

4. Heard Bharat sundar in NGS Mini.... He sang good kambodhi, and subhapantuvarali RTP in misra chapu.... Good concert... he will need to better modulate his voice and reduce loudness little bit...

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

2018 updates

Message from friend:

இவாள்ளாம் மோஹனம் போடுவா இல்லை கல்யாணி போடுவா அவர் தான் மோஹன கல்யாணி போட்டு உதறுவார் !!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Evar? (Sanjay?)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Of Course :D !

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Venkatanagarajan taking up Mayamalavagowla for main at BVB mini.

Great choice!!

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

Unbelievably rowdy crowd at the Mylapore fine arts 4 PM kutchery, with non-stop chatter, attending phone calls, turning newspsper pages and tearing chocolate wrappers noisily, etc. Most of them seem to be here for the 6:30 show but why such apathy towards the few rasikas tuned into the ongoing concert? I changed seats 3 times only to have new sets of noisemakers create a racket near me again. Just not my day I guess :-(

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

aanum pennum nigarena kolvadhal!
arivil ongi ivvaiam thazhaikkumaam!!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

sridhar_ranga wrote: 16 Dec 2018, 18:30 Unbelievably rowdy crowd at the Mylapore fine arts 4 PM kutchery ...

Don't suffer in silence: tell people to shut up!

But some of those concerts that precede a "star" artists are nonstarters. Nobody even sees anything else except getting there early for their star.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I was pained and asked a friend, a decent lady, a connoisseur. She has this to say:
"I am not sure about all this as we were in the dais enjoying the previous concert.
By the way non-stop chatter and attending phone calls okay. Turning newspaper pages and tearing chocolate wrappers..... konjam over-a illai?
In chennai sabhas chatter during a concert is a very common thing and others warning them also. Likewise Any crowd puller's concert will have the problem of people moving around in order to grab a good seat. So why Sanjay's rasikas alone be called as rowdy crowd is to be noted ? Naming a rasika who pays Rs 500 or Rs 2000 for one concert (please note that these two denominations were the only available tickets for yesterday's concert) as Rowdy is just atrocious......."

I request that 'rowdy crowd' be expunged and this post be deleted.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

On the other hand, shouldn't rasikas.org be a place where rasikatvam and decorum in concerts is encouraged and "rowdyism" is reprimanded? After all we expect the moon from artistes. We owe them also our good behaviour.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

There is no support for rowdyism.
This is further feedback:
"From the sources who were seated in the last few rows, nothing of this sort happened yesterday other than the normal movement of people in a sabha where there is a back to back concert. And we also didn't notice any disturbance in the audience side as we were seated in the dias."

To describe the entire audience as 'rowdy crowd' is undoubtedly atrocious. There have been some 'bad' elements in this group also. Will it be in order to brand the entire group by some bad name? It certainly does not redound to the credit of this group to use such words.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Sir,
Being seated on the dais does insulate the attendee from the goings on in the audience pit.

The poster who used the word rowdyism would, I think, have employed the word after his attempts to find quieter spot failed. I read no more into that word.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I am stuck on the word. Commotion in CM concerts and audience indiscipline is nothing new. We move in and out of a concert unmindful of the disturbance it causes. There would have been more commotion and disturbance when there was a large number.

arasi

Post by arasi »

And all this in response to mild-mannered Sridhar Ranga :)
I am sure he did have an annoying group of attendees around him--and didn't succeed in getting some quiet time to listen because another bunch of noisy neighbors surrounded him again. Being a poet, he was concentrating on listening to some striking words in the lyrics perhaps--not his day, and it shows in his instant post...We are all entitled to our reaction to frustrations. Modern media aids immediate reaction revealed in a quick text, unlike the ones which allowed you to calm down before you wrote down anything.
Good rasikAs all, but when fingers can do the talking before you even have a moment to think about what you are typing-- is the culprit :(

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I am working on cultivating a "death glare" for any rasikas that make too much noise next to me. A sudden fiery look, (and a few more for repeat violations) kind of makes people aware that others exist and are in fact here to listen to the music. :lol:

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I have great regard for Sri Sridhar Ranga and his admirable translation. I am all for objecting to the sort of nuisance people make in a soulful event where silence is the requisite for music and audience. All that upsets me is that one word.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Sir, if it makes you feel any better, while living in Chennai, then called respectably Madras, I often heard doting fathers chide their beloved sons as, "dai Rascal", "Dai Rowdy" etc. It felt atrocious to me at that time. But then...

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Between all the noisy concerts, Vid AS Murali made an outstanding debut @ the Senior Slot in The MA. Better late than never, a promotion to the senior slot that was richly and truly deserved.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Post#178 of Sachi...
Yes, in that sense, and also when you look upon the word as it's absorbed in the tamizh language, a mild word it becomes.
And, kannaDigarE, the word rascal got preceded by the word baDava (poor) and was supplemented by more: baDava, rascal, bun, roTTi, biscuit :) kazhudai, is another indulgent word. Now we are on to terms of endearment...:).

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

kvchellappa wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 09:25 I am stuck on the word.
Please don't be. People should have a right to express themselves using the words they deem fit. It would be better to accept people's opinions as theirs - not as some indisputable description of "reality".

Of course you are welcome to argue the case - but I would request you not to get into forcing the poster to edit or "expunge" words.

There are also many gentlemen, and I use the word loosely, who open up the newspaper to its maximum capacity and then turn pages one by one. Some others bring vethla pakku and all its attached paraphernalia in various high rustle plastic covers and can spend long durations in preparing their chewable. Both can be highly annoying. I don't feel they are rowdy but no less offensive.

There are also many "rowdy" mamis but their antics are for another post :D

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

I used the word in the sense of "noisy" or "disorderly"....those can be found in the dictionary as well, when the word is used as an adjective....so no need to get worked up, KVC avare!

No, it doesn't require beer guzzling, screaming, dancing fans damaging the furniture as in a football crowd; mere speaking aloud into one's cellphone and non-stop talking to each other that can be heard by the person sitting behind you is rowdy enough behaviour in a carnatic concert.... your lucky friend sitting on the dais would have had no chance of experiencing what I did.

No, I won't label someone a rowdy just because they are a fan of Sanjay, as you seem to have (mis)understood - if such be the case, I would be the rowdiest of them all ;-)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I believe and understand Sridhar, both in the noise level and in the choice of the word, and I don’t think he, or for that matter, anyone else needs to defend it.
This objection to the word reminds of the “sensitivity” we were supposed to exhibit, and call obese patients as “overweight”, and overweight ones as “at risk of being overweight”. Thankfully, that PC phase passed, and so too, I hope shall this.

By the way, if a certain rouge element of the forum gets rowdy, we’re all tarred by the same brush... ostriches excluded, of course.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

kvvhellappa gets roudy about... roudyness! Is this atrocious?

:lol:

Seriously, though, concert behaviour follows road behaviour, and it can be bad. Let us not be upset about the word: let us cover everything by choosing a worse one!

:lol:

arasi

Post by arasi »

In the mode of tIrAda viLiyATTup piLLai…

Rowdy RangA, rowdy Ranga,
A spoilsport he is, for sure
Comes with his keen ears,
Undivided attention, note him
Note in hand, noting things down

Not a nod to people he knows,
Not a word even to friends
Nothing matters but the music
Nuisance he is, without doubt--

Rustle of newspaper, giggle of maidens,
Greeting of people in voices all cheerful
Bustle of back and forth crowds too irk
Blare of the speakers and bright lights

Takes himself away from our merriment
Sulks in a seat far from us, not for long-
A cheery group arrives chatting, and lo,
He moves again, away, farther away

Rowdy Ranga, rowdy Ranga,
A spoilsport he is, for sure :)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Kvchellappa, just one more thing on this, not in jest, and with all due respect to your feelings...

Please note that our reporter of audience behaviour was actually there (i assume), whereas you (i assume), were not.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Post script: the word rowdy in the verse has nothing to do with either Sridhar or KVC. Both gentlemen, friends on the forum. It was the meaning-contested word of the day, and so triggered me to write satirical lines on it. Interesting thing is, when I went to edit the post, I saw a message which said: objectionable word!

sankark

Post by sankark »

semmu86 wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 10:20 Between all the noisy concerts, Vid AS Murali made an outstanding debut @ the Senior Slot in The MA. Better late than never, a promotion to the senior slot that was richly and truly deserved.
Yes. It was a grand concert. He reminded me of Neyyatinkara Vasudevan.

The one by Vidya Kalyanaraman before ASMurali was very good too - some voice troubles in dhanyAsi mAyuranAtham. She sang a marga thALa pallavi; chachatputa thALam, 2 guru, 1 laghu, 1 plutam, in total 32 units, equivalent to 4 kalai Adi in unit count I think with trikAlam; pallavi was murugA thirumAl marugA guhA gathi nIyE kumarEsA vERidam pugalEn aruLpuriya tharunamidhE/முருகா திருமால் மருகா குஹா கதி நீயே குமரேசா வேறிடம் புகலேன் அருள்புரிய தருணமிதே. She mentioned that each angam has a arudhi.
Last edited by sankark on 18 Dec 2018, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

sankark

Post by sankark »

kvchellappa wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 08:29 Naming a rasika who pays Rs 500 or Rs 2000 for one concert (please note that these two denominations were the only available tickets for yesterday's concert) as Rowdy is just atrocious......."
Why so? What does the monetary cost of the ticket got to do with the behavior of folks that bought that ticket? Money doesn't buy manners, does it?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sankark,
If I understand it the way he means it, it's not the monetary value KVC is talking about--it's the seriousness of the purpose of going to a concert. We wouldn't buy high priced tickets if we didn't think seriously of attending a concert...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

sankark wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 14:52Money doesn't buy manners, does it?
It is my sad experience that, in both of "my countries," it often "buys" the right to bad manners.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

neraval @ munnavaney nee munninraal muddiyadadhu onrum illai !!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

The doors of the main hall of the academy open only at 9am & a line of senior citizens forms there - some being held up by their near & dear. It may be a good idea to open the doors 15 minutes earlier.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

So after a particularly invigorating alapana yesterday of a not so commonly heard raga, I asked this young lady sitting next if she knew what the raga was. It seemed she had not given it a thought until then. She hums a few notes & then spends some time on her 'phone. After a few minutes she reports the raga correctly. It was Bhavapriya.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Suresh, I don't know whom to admire more. The rasika who wanted to tease his lady stranger neighbour or the lady who used her wits and resources to figure the raga.
You have not mentioned if the song had started.

PS: I don't like ragas like Bhavapriya. They are inscrutable and even after being identified, much like an ill-formed unsavoury date palm fruit plucked by Mullah Nasruddin after huffing, puffing and climbing, yield no juicy sweetness.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Sachi_R wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 11:29 You have not mentioned if the song had started.
Nope. The song had not started. Somewhat chagrined by her correct answer, I raised the bar by asking her to guess the kriti too to which she pleaded total ignorance. So it wasn't google expertise. My vanity remained in tact when my prediction proved right!
PS: I don't like ragas like Bhavapriya. They are inscrutable and even after being identified, much like an ill-formed unsavoury date palm fruit plucked by Mullah Nasruddin after huffing, puffing and climbing, yield no juicy sweetness.
You just have not heard the right renditions enough times. Most musicians prefer to take the well trodden Subhapantuvarali route. Please request Anahita & Apoorva to sing it when you attend their concert.
Last edited by sureshvv on 23 Dec 2018, 12:11, edited 3 times in total.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Just opposite the Mylapore Fine Arts gate, usually where two wheelers are parked in hap hazard fashion, now some tables are lined up with eager waiters behind them ready to serve up stuff in buckets in competition with the over priced sabha canteen inside - not much more hygienic.

Indian free enterprise at its most egregious :D

sankark

Post by sankark »

sureshvv wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 12:07 Just opposite the Mylapore Fine Arts gate, usually where two wheelers are parked in hap hazard fashion, now some tables are lined up with eager waiters behind them ready to serve up stuff in buckets in competition with the over priced sabha canteen inside - not much more hygienic.

Indian free enterprise at its most egregious :D
Perhaps they could adapt this as marketing slogan: gut bacteria diversity. build your immunity!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

K.P.Nandini belting out an energetic Kaanada to lots of eekaarams to wake up anybody who may be tending to doze off after the Rs.300 full meals being served outside.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

The Academy sound system is so good that even young mrdangists barely out of their teens are sounding so grand & majestic.

On the other hand may be this kid, Tippirajapuram Hari, is really good!

On the other hand, may be he has practiced these songs really well. Seems to play perfectly for the song.

On the other hand, nothing wrong with practicing. Most important to succeed.

On the other hand, may be he is not that much of a kid. Has a bit of a stubble I didn't notice earlier.
Last edited by sureshvv on 23 Dec 2018, 12:53, edited 3 times in total.