Random kucheri notes

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sankark

Re: Random kucheri notes

Post by sankark »

siva shankari has aandufied me with kadaikkaN. Brinda M has taken kadaikkaN vaithhennai right now

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Chandrakauns for submain raga & Basavanna vachana as kriti - vasudha ravi @ vani mahal. Even explained the meaning. Ranjani Hebbar would have had the evening slot now.

H.M.Smitha on the violin is turning out to be the season surprise!
Last edited by sureshvv on 25 Dec 2018, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

She had cancelled the last couple of concerts due to voice problems. No sign of any impairment at all today.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Amrutha Venkatesh shining her effulgence on Srimahaganapathey in Abhogi with its wonderful swaraksharams. A bout of 2 avartanam swaras where you are sure she is going to run out of space every time but just lands each time in the nick of time. May be eliding a swara or something.

PS: Not eliding. Packing them in last minute. May be.
Last edited by sureshvv on 25 Dec 2018, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Brilliant swara segments flouting standardized strategies. Main sahana had just slow speed swaras (just ri was repeated half a dozen times with various gamakas) leading to thani.

sankark

Post by sankark »

SrinathK wrote: 25 Dec 2018, 17:42 Another tOdi? Now I claim it's a conspiracy. All the artistes are in on the joke.
SrinathK wrote: 25 Dec 2018, 17:47Oh my god!
thOdi main by VS again. Vivek Sadasivam that is. Though given his Dikshitar lineage the probability of a rare MD is high instead of koluva or endhuku daya or dachukovalena or karthikeya or kamalambike

sankark

Post by sankark »

He took STs navarAthri kriti bhArathi mAmava

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I don't know what is funnier - this semi English "manipravaLam" jAvALi or how Sikkil Gurucharan manages to sing it with a perfectly straight face : https://www.facebook.com/ramaswamy.nara ... 426988728/

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

sankark

Post by sankark »

Live relay of Malladi in Podhigai right now from Vani Mahal with MAS, MannargudiEaswaran, VSuresh

Tomorrow VS from IFAS is also scheduled for live relay @ 7pm.

No idea if it is full concert or the first half/one hour

Live now online @ https://ddpodhigai.org.in/index.php/live.html

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

only for an hour.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Srungara sathyayudhadhara saravanasya dasoaham at MA

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Venkatanagarajan at the Academy reminds me of those blokes from remote villages walking the corridors of the IIT hostel with the "deer caught in the headlights" look.

Finishes off concert with a classic Sanjay viruttam - "summa iruppadhu aridhu" & dakshinamurthy tiruppugazh.

Sounded a bit like Sanjay via Sethlapathy Balu during the Suddha Danyasi parts.

Gomathy Sankar made a good showing in the thani.
Last edited by sureshvv on 28 Dec 2018, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

K.P.Nandini has both violin & vocal slot... Thought that was a no-no at the academy

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Sriranjani singing "oosi" pallavi at the Academy. Explained what it was.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Switched from Mohanam to Sivaranjani in a long flash during the ragamalika viruttam. Mass hypnotism. Moment of the concert for me.
Last edited by sureshvv on 27 Dec 2018, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Read that amoebas are solving the TSP (Travelling Salesman Problem) faster than computers. Wonder if they will work for the Sabha hopping rasika.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Chitrambari for main & Sama gana lola. Wonder if that is happening anywhere else today, or this week, or this month, or this year.

Venkat Ramachandran

Post by Venkat Ramachandran »

Sanjay- Nasikabhushani RTP

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I actually met Sureshvv.

We see each other all year... But never in December!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Nick H wrote: 28 Dec 2018, 00:11 I actually met Sureshvv.

We see each other all year... But never in December!
Indication that you are spending more time in the concert hall and less at the canteen ;)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Last time I heard Chitrambari for main was more than 10 years ago at a Carnatica sponsored concert by Vasudha Keshav inside the MGR Janaki college auditorium in a thematic concert on Mysore Composers.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

V.Subhasri & Prasanna Venkatraman @ Raga Sudha. Great line up promising an intetesting evening.

Subhasri starting with Surutti varnam & then Srirama padama with some lively swaras at pallavi line. Great demonstration of control of sustain in voice. Pleasure to hear such clarity of notes & lyrics.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Kannada alapana & bhaja re bhaja manasa. Neraval & swaras witn shifted eduppu @ bhoo sama shantham bhoo ja kantjam

sankark

Post by sankark »

After a terrific pantuvarALi siva siva, Prasanna is treating us to a superb husEni
Also line @
https://youtu.be/sTVbtQ0MxeI

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Prasanna was beginning to zone in after a sprightly Pantuvarali and an enchanting Husseini and started on Kambodhi when Ravikumar of the Malladi bros. duo walked into the auditorium. That was like a Stage 3 rocket being set off full thrust. Kambodhi was developed in grand detail and his most pliant voice followed every idea and unravelled the raga in all its glory. Best alapana of the season!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Q&A session at Trichy Sankaran Lec-dem. Patri asking the 1st question about how he views the current generation of percussionists.

Sollu-full a irukka koodadhu.. Soulful a irukkanum!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Kannai thirandhu paar manamey. Now why does it remind me of ini namakku oru kavalai illai?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Todi is seeing some straight note treatment this year - by more than one artiste & school. Evolution in progress.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Gajavadana sammodita main & Poornachandrika RTP with the wonderful aroma of jeera being saute'd.

poornachandra nibhananaa! pooritha mukha ibanana!!

khanda triputa tisra nadai

Ragamalika swaras in 2 ragas only. No chandrakauns :(

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Suresh, Enna Saar!
Your Emoji should be this:

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Jayanth just hit mandhra sthayee shadjam & now going beliow it.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sachi_R wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 12:42 Suresh, Enna Saar!
Your Emoji should be this:
tEn uNNum vaNDu?? Or संगीताम्भोज मधु माधुरी मद मधुकरी? Although that flower is not a lotus...

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Ravi,
What an apt line!
संगीताम्भोजमधुमाधुरीमदमधुकरी
The one who enjoys music like the female bee that gets intoxicated by imbibing the sweetness of nectar in the lotus...

Yes this is not a lotus but I took the photo in Adi Sankara Nilayam (Must-See place near Ernakulam, CIF) and the flower is the Malay Rose apple flower! The flowers pretty much carpet the ground below...they are sweet and edible, too. Their nectar is irresistible for bees.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

RTP in Nalinakanti & Bindumalini. Can one sing each raga in under 2 seconds each with closed mouth?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

The blonde lady sitting on the dais at the AV concert at the academy couple of days ago is seated in the first row at the NGS main hall keeping talam meticulosly for Sriranjani Santhanagopala.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

A most meditative bhava filled rendition (dwamsini..hamsini) of Kamalambam Bhajare with minimalistic accompaniment from KAP has the audience in rapture.

No need for neraval or swaras. A confident smile indicating that she has the audience exactly where she wants them.

On to a killer Vakulabharanam alapana.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Maravaamal eppadiyum ninai manamey of GKB in shree ragam for fast filler. Mentions it is the last of the GKB panchratnam in Shree ragam.

Kamboji main!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

What is (or are) the GKB (Gopalakrishna Bharati, I presume) pancaratnam?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

rshankar wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 11:49 What is (or are) the GKB (Gopalakrishna Bharati, I presume) pancaratnam?
I presume they are in the same 5 ragas. Nothing comes to mind :D

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Folks, May be the last year we can listen to Sriranjani in the non-ticketed slot category. Get it while it lasts!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Manaswini dancing to the Gambheera Nattai varnam Amma Anandadayini of Dr.BMK with verses from the Soundaryalahiri woven through.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sureshvv,
You were at least in three concerts which I attended, and nary a sight of you, or of any other familiar folks from the forum :( :(
Missed seeing Nick, Rajesh, VK, being at GBL remembrance concerts and at Raga Sudha Hall for the first time :( My stay was short, got shorter--due to unforeseen circumstances. Caught part of Sriranjani's concert, and how true you are! She just sparkles, reminds me of her father, evincing more of her own gifts as well. I HAD to listen to Raji Goplakrishnan's concert, and she was all that I know her to be. Lo and behold! After listening to her intently, caught myself dozing off! I Am getting older :( Then I hurried to Partha to hear Sriranjani. Bharathi's 'thEDiyunai saraN aDaindEn dEsa muthumAri was a surprise. Look forward to her concert the day after in Bengaluru.
Sanjay's tomorrow's concert I am missing...:(
Bravo to SastrigaL for his tamizisai review. As we all know, it's not very 'fashionable' to cover Sanjay's concerts here. Every one of Sanjay's, concerts that I went to had weight and well-balanced variety which is born after a process of thoughtfulness and awareness on his part, on top of his vidwat. A serious artiste that he is, he combines that seriousness with insight, and the end result is one throng of appreciative and at times euphoric audience. He seems to be a combination of the qualities of the greats of yore. As he sang anda rAma saundariyam, I glanced at ariyakuDi's portrait.--his elaborate angavastram's gold gleaming in his face, his little eyes sparkling with glee, blessing Sanjay...

arasi

Post by arasi »

The two back to back concerts at MFA were a treat for me. Suryaprakash and Panthula Rama made the evening for me. I also heard Surya singing at NGS the following day, but the MFA concert was the winner. May be, it was the Srothaswini RTP. I haven't developed a great liking for the rAgA as yet. May be that's why...
The two fellow paradESis I did meet were Ashok Madhav and Jayaram besides Meenaakshi, of course :)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Arasi, so sorry to miss you. I saw Meena once (apparently she spotted me another time, but I didn't see her) was hoping we'd meet up.

Saw VK, Mohan, Jayaram and quite a few others who mentioned past or present rasikas.org.

My season holiday ends tomorrow, and I am going back home.

I hope I can still use my remaining tea tokens at the MA next year. Didn't spend nearly as much time there this year as I expected. Mostly stuck with the same two or three places rust I go to most of the year.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Save one for me as well, though coffee is a preferred beverage. Hope I get lucky next year to listen to more music...

Happy new year all, and an abundance of good music to enjoy...:)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

K.J.Jesudas must use a visual metronome. Interrupts kritis with long winded discourses without any attention to tala but restarts at exact point.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

KJY singing alapana for Nama Narayani.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Now a raga called Heeradharini - Amruthavarshini with chathusruthi dhaivatam instead of nishadam.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

sureshvv wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 19:19 K.J.Jesudas must use a visual metronome. Interrupts kritis with long winded discourses without any attention to tala but restarts at exact point.
I noticed a Western musician do this once. He stopped the song to tell some sort joke or something, and picked it up again exactly on beat. Don't know why I was keeping the count!

That you even knew days as much about your laya sense as it does about his!

I suggested to my Mridangam guru that he could probably go out to the shop and back and not lose track of the talam. He didn't seem to think that that was much to ask!

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I wonder if this handle is anyone here : https://twitter.com/carnatician

He's a one man army.