AIR CONCERTS

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
ganeshkant

Re: AIR CONCERTS

Post by ganeshkant »

Today 8.45 a.m Nisha RG gave a good concert.her voice had the usual sweetness but the azhuththam was somewhat missing.Artists need not artificially lighten or sweeten their voices IMHO.
The list was good.valli devasenapathe,sub main rAmapriya usual patnam item,Kedaragowlai samikku.the svarams she sang for KG drew attention.Papanasam Kumar,GR and VVSR supported well.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

27.09 S.P.Ramh gave a fantastic concert.His unhurried singing makes peace creeps through in you.The other advantages are you can write the lyrics if you want and also sing along as he unleashes the next sangathi only after the previous is registered.His alapanais sriranjani iniorukanam and kalyani bhajarerechiththa were very nice as well as n s also.he concluded with Karnaranjani thillana of LGJ.This seems to be such a monotonous scale that even Lalgudi couldn't churn out some thing different.Ably supported by Kum.Gopi ASR & HSRK.
28.09 Vasundara RG gave a satisfactory concert.she sang a decent alspana of Shud.dhanyasi azhaha azhaha and main Dhanyasi nee chiththamu that lacked emotive appeal.Neyveli Radhskrishnan & M.S.Varadhan accompanied.
29.09 AR gave a satisfactory recital supported well by Kum.Gopi & KVP.Started with Todi alapanai rave himagiri.The main Surati Gitanandhamu.He couldn't execute the Alapanai as he wanted but compensated that in the svarams.LGJ thillana in Khamas was preceded by a mini but effective Alapanai.Good performance.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

ganeshkant wrote: 29.09 AR gave a satisfactory recital supported well by Kum.Gopi & KVP.Started with Todi alapanai rave himagiri.The main Surati Gitanandhamu.He couldn't execute the Alapanai as he wanted but compensated that in the svarams.LGJ thillana in Khamas was preceded by a mini but effective Alapanai.Good performance.
Who is AR? I am assuming it is some one other than abhishek Raghuram . Who is Kum Gopi? Clarify Ganeshkant

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

AR Abhishek Raghuram
Kum.Gopi Kumbakonam Gopinath.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Happy to have listened to a highly energetic high voltage performance by Mahadevan TVS in FM gold 10.05 to 11 p.m.Mahadevan sang compositions in variety of talams and the selection of ragams and kritis were v.g.
Starting with karunai seivai in hamsadhwani with lilting svarams he rendered kaalakaalan kayilainathan in atana and surprisingly Simhendra madhyamam nine nammithi with n s @ neeraja netra.I have never heard this ragam sung by TVS till date.I even once requested him to sing but he didn't.Mahadevan's rendition was top class.next came a caressing hamir kalyani venkatasailavihara with exquisite svarams.slokam on kamskshi in madhyamavati followed by vinayakuni and erumayileri in mohanam in kanda chapu.the atana song was in rupakam.
Mahadevan's voice is naturally rich that can produce gamakam and brighas like his illustrious father.
VLK & Chertala AK supported well.This is his first solo as well as radio program I am listening.He has great stuff and should come up.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Tomorrow 1 October 9:30 PM All India Radio National programme features one of my favourite musicians
Amrutha Venkatesh - on Veena!
Tumkur Ravishankar - Mridanga
Guruprasanna - Khanjari

See here: https://m.facebook.com/events/107368781 ... 3785818105

CRama

Post by CRama »

AV presented an excellent veena concert in the NP yesterday. First time hearing her Veena. Likedvery impressive. Hamsadhwani varnam, Marubalga, Sankari sankuru, Bhajare re chitha, Ragi tandeera in Nadnamakriya. Thillana in Kapi of MDR. I liked her veena more than her vocal music.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Instead of usual Isai pettagam, today morning AIR broadcast a concert of Gayahtri Venkatesan in which she sang Saroruhasana jaye (Panbthuvarali), Kamalamba- Anandabhairavi and Thodi. Good concert

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

CRama,
I also enjoyed the sound of her veena, the mridangam accompaniment, choice of songs, and the overall concert.

I feel Amrutha is really multifaceted and very effective in communicating her ideas! I like both her vocal and veena music :D

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

Navarathri special concert featuring MD's navavarna krithi, ST's Navarathri krithi and others on the Goddess is broadcast daily by AIR Chennai from 9 to 10 am. We heard Gayathri Venkatesan, Kunnakudi BMK, Ramakrishnan Murthy, Nisha Rajagopal and Savitha Narasimhan so far. Bharath Sundar tomorrow.

vijay.siddharth

Post by vijay.siddharth »

Long dead thread, but let me revive it!

FM Gold now. TV Shankaranarayanan right now singing a Panthuvarali laden with honey-like richness, so much so it is like having dessert before dinner (or, int this case, Lunch)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Good to hear about the veteran's concert. Thanks for writing about it. What was the kriti?

By the way, it was only a dormant thread :)

CRama

Post by CRama »

TVS was agood programme. It must be a commercial CD- that is what they play in the afternoon slot. The Panthuvarali was Ninnunera namminanu ra. Surprisingly there was a unheard composition in Hindolam. I dont remember the song.

arasi

Post by arasi »

There you are!
I am surprised that you couldn't place the song--by which I mean that you have a repository of songs at your finger tips. Was it a tamizh song? If so, was it mArgam kATTiDuvAi? A wild guess, of course. We have heard TVS sing iniyAgilum ninai manamE in PUrvi kalyANi--an Ambujam Krishna song. Since it's her centenary year, I wonder if he sang onother one of her songs...

vijay.siddharth

I don't know who it is in Arangisai now - began with Padavini in Salagabhairavi and now going for Isha Pahimam (the Lalgudi Pancharatnam in Kalyani). Lovely, masculine, arresting voice.

The violinist had a lot of Hindustani jarus in his Kalyani exposition - someone from the MSG/MSA parampara?

CRama

Post by CRama »

Arasi, The Hindolam song was on Sringeri Sarada Devi. Looked like composition of Sringeri Swamigal.

Vijay Sidharth. Today, it was OST. After that Kalyani, neekela dayadu in Sarasangi. the main was Meenakshi memudam dehi. . Violin M.R Gopinath and Mridangam R.Ramesh. A Good concert

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Daily 1.10 - 1.40 pm FM Gold (Chennai) plays popular CM recordings and today (11 July) it was Shashank (flute). Seems none was there to monitor the broadcast with the result Saarasamukhi( Gouda malhar) turned to be quite funny with sort of a ' keeral vizhundha record' making a mess of everything. And by the time the CD rectified itself it was time for 'Maanila cheythikal' (regional news bulletin)!
Good stuff for today's laughing exercise!

arasi

Post by arasi »

What an insult to the artiste! They have to deal with mic problems often on stage, and while the sound system would have been fine at AIR, the tape deck turned out to be the culprit then :(

Sivaramakrishnan

The fact is that very very few listen to Carnatic Music over radio (thanks to sangeethapriya TVG who uploads cm progs broadcast by AIR Chennai). Eventually there's none to bring broadcast deficiencies to AIR's notice.
Luckily aberrations can't occur much in live broadcasts!

Unfortunately listenership of Medium Wave freqency broadcasts has been badly affected because we do not have MW receiver sets in the market. Radio servicemen seem to be an endangered species, so we don't get old radio sets repaired.

Mobile phones - the omnipresent gadget- receive only FM to tap the commercial market. I recently came across a news that MW transponders may be gradually converted to FM. This may severely restrict the reach (radius wise distance) compared to MW.

Also very few listen to the 24X7 AIR Ragam DTH channel in TV receivers. Webcasts / internet / YouTube / social networks etc have virtually taken over.

And as far as artists by and large are concerned, AIR is only to enrich their 'qualification', getting slots in National programme, Radio Sangita Sammelan and other prestigious events.

I, perhaps like several other rasikas have 'grown with the radio' all these years.

jodha

Post by jodha »

Shashank flute concert was aired 2 days back.The sub main Sarasathi was in all details -anuragamuleni .main Jeeravani -kaligiyunte was good too.Kumbakonam Gopinath and R.Ramesh provided good support.A v.g.concert

vijay.siddharth

Today afternoon was MS Subbulakshmi + Radha Viswanathan-Kandadevi-TK Murthy- Vinayakram- Nagaraj. Vinabheri followed by Sadasivam Upasmahe.

Sivaramakrishnan

Today (27.7.2017) Chennai A in their morning prog at 8.45am broadcast a Harmonium concert by Palladam Venkataramana Rao. Todi aalaapana and the kriti 'Sarasijanabha murarey' (the main item) was handled very well. It is very difficult to capture the Gamaka laden R, G, D, N notes of Todi in the traditional harmonium. VV Ravi and R Ramesh were the accompanists. (unfortunately I missed the first half of the concert). A very good concert.

vsarmaiitm

Post by vsarmaiitm »

On 31st at 845 AM on Chennai A MW, July, Smt. Sujana's veena concert is scheduled to be broadcast. This concert was recorded on 6th July at AIR studios. It is really sad that Vidwan Sri. Trivandrum Vaidhynanathan sir who accompanied her on that day is no more. Such a great vidwan and gem of a person. He was so happy when she played Bhavayami Raghuramam in this concert. May his soul rest in peace.

Sivaramakrishnan

Sure, we shall listen to the AIR concert on 31 July.

Sivaramakrishnan

Listened to P Sujana's Veena concert on 31 July. The presentation of (main item) Bhavayami Raghuramam with Ragamalika aalapana and swaraprastara was unique. The concert was brilliant.

(Late) Trivandrum Vaidyanathan had provided perfect accompaniment on Mridangam. It is really sad that the Vidwan who played at the recording of the concert a couple of week before is no more.

jodha

Post by jodha »

I too have similar feeling about Sujana veena concert.I had the opportunity to listen late Vaidhyanathan when he played for his daughter Keerthana in SVBC.A v.g.artist who played with onobtrusively with sowkhyam.May his soul rip.

jodha

Post by jodha »

A couple of days back heard a v.g.nadhaswaram recital.The main a composition of Devakottai Ramanathan ? in I think offbeat Bhushavali was excellent.

vsarmaiitm

Post by vsarmaiitm »

Thank you Sri Sivaramakrishnan and Jodha ji for your kind words. She will be happy to note your words of appreciation.
For veena artists, AIR is like an oasis !!! So they put their heart and soul into the opportunities they get.

Thanks to Sri. TVG it is uploaded on sangeethapriya, link to Bhavayami raghuramam @ https://tinyurl.com/y8pp8plf

jodha

Post by jodha »

It rained Saveri for 2 days.yesterday night Rahul Narayanan sang sri kamakoti as main decently.Tiday Chinmaya sisters sang Tulasi as sub main and main simhendra madhyamam rama rama gunaseema was rendered with piety.

jodha

Post by jodha »

GV concert accompanied well by Vasanta Kannan KVP was good.main kambodhi lambodharam cheraravadhe reedhigowla pranamamyaham gowla pahimam nattai and a pillayar song of PS in Saraswathi all were presented well.

jodha

Post by jodha »

Kruthika Natarajan gave a good concert in FM Gold @ 5 p.m without overdoing any thing.etulabrova Chakravaham with liberal svarams , entavina...in Oormika and main Begada lokavanachathura aesthatically executed with good support by MAK & PK.

jodha

Post by jodha »

Sriram Parthasarathy sang easapahimam and mayuranatham as sub main and main.the ifluence of his paramagyru TNS was evident but mimicking was not there.His alapana of Kalyani & Dhaanyasi were good as also MAK replies.payojimaine in misrapahadi was foot taping.raghavendra played well throughout.

Sivaramakrishnan

Just now (03 Sep Sunday 8.45 am - Isai pettagam-Chennai A) Emani Sankara sastri's Veena concert is on. Seems to be a very very old recording with Kalyani Lakshminarayana- veena support, Palghat Hariharan Mridanga, Palghat VA Sundaram Ghatam and G Harishankar kanjira. Started with Emani's own composition in Mukhari- Tyagaraja nee Bhagyamu - Rupaka Tala.

Sivaramakrishnan

Emani Veena (contd.) : Main-Sankarabharanam : Own kriti - Namassivaaya.

jodha

Post by jodha »

Mathangi.S 's concert going on now.don't rememver of heard before.from MLV school may be.voice has her resemblance though the singing is elementary.after singing an unheaed nayaki kriti of HMB Sri raghuvara she presented a o.k dharmavathi.the kriti is janaki vallabha namasthe of ambujam krishna.
Meera SRK papanasam kumar krishna -ghatam smoothly accompanying.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

jodha wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 09:28 now.don't rememver of heard before.
She is the sister and disciple of Thanjavur S Kalyanaraman and Subbulakshmi Swaminathan (of Bombay). My wife learnt music briefly from Subbulakshmi Swaminathan, and remembers her as not having much 'sareera vasathi'. I listened to Mathangi and got the same impression.

jodha

Post by jodha »

Today Isaipettakam broadcast was a rare never before heard concert of Kumbakonam Rajamanickam Pillai supported by his disciple Virudhunagar Ganesa Pillai and on the mridangam the great PMI.
Marubalga with extensive svarams was a treat with PMI accompanying.The thani after ksherasagarasayana was like double treat.Thoroughly enjoyed.he also played yochna in darbar.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

jodha wrote: 10 Sep 2017, 09:56 Kumbakonam Rajamanickam Pillai supported by his disciple Virudhunagar Ganesa Pillai
Virudhunagar Ganapathi Pillai actually :) Ganesh, Ganapathi are all the same, but still. I remember listening to this on AIR many years back. Magnificent concert!

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

What a concert! PMI's accompanying was simply mind blowing. I was wondering if the Devagandhari krithi was being played on the mrudangam or the violin. It was sheer magic. Thanks AIR, Chennai.
Btw violin support was by Ganapathiya pillai (not as mentioned in the above threads!)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Wish I had heard it...:(

varsha

Post by varsha »

Wish I had heard it...
this is all that exists , as of now...
https://archive.org/details/KumbakonamR ... atiTirunaL

Govindaswamy

Post by Govindaswamy »

I am 85 years old and have enjoyed the singing of Palghat Mani Iyer's mrudangam. In comparison, most of the present day mrudangam players, I am purposely not calling them vidwans, only produce maximum NOISE.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Varsha, thanks!
maNIyAna isai, mANikkamuDan! Gem of a 'music' by PMI with the 'royal' gem! Brought to me the mental picture of his presence--the 'mEru samAna' majesty of Rajamanikkam Pillai--impeccably clad, occupying the stage with grace, playing sweetly, accompanying giants.

As for PMI, his simple elegance and 'sweeter than music' strokes...:)

CRama

Post by CRama »

Varshaji, I checked Sangeetapriya. There are four AIR concerts of Rajamanickam Pillai including the concert referred by jodha.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Thanks.

jodha

Post by jodha »

K.Bhaskaran gave a mellifluous flute recital on 13.09.17 9.30 p.m supported by Dr.Narmadha & R.Ramesh.
There was a good variety in the offering.
Ucchishta pantuvarali, gureleka gowrimanohari then a classical kannada alapanai by both B & N followed by saravanabhavaguhane.main was bhajarete manasa of MV in karn.dev.gand.
R.R supported well throughout.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Yesterday, Friday night Madras A relayed an old concert of Tiruvengad Jayaraman. It was very good Sangeeta jnanamu, Meenakshi medmudam, Sarasamukhi etc.

Today morning, as a tribute to MS Amma on her 101st birthday, Madras A relayed a very good portion of the Deekshitar concert of M.S, which she had sung both in MA and Shanmugananda and were released commercially. The main songs were Sadasivam Upasmahe in Sankarabharanam and Kamalambike in Thodi. I have never heard this concert in AIR. Thanks to AIR for not repeating the concert relayed umpteen times.

jodha

Post by jodha »

In isai peetakam today for the first time I heard a rare concert of Thiruvarur Sethuraman & kuzhikarai Viwalingam.In the early 80s I have heard live concerts of them.It turned out to be a lovely concert with rarely heard krithi rarapanisayana in hariksmbodhi.
The main ramanadham bhajeham was v.g.the a n s all were in place.
They sang swaminatha naattai nekkuruhi with abhogi alapanai and a song in desh.
MAS and madhrimangalam supported greatly.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Listening to Maharajapuram Ramachandran's concert .the main madhyamavati ramakathasutha with n s @ bamamani and the alapanai with a tinge of madhmad sarang was wholesomely enjoyable.
The surprise was vakulabharanam as sub main which he sang carefully.the kriti was pallavi sesha iyer's indhavadananee.
He opened with vallabhanayakasya with a good line up of svarams,dhakshinamurthe in ranjani and ended with kadaikkan parvai in harikambodhi.
MAS & RR gave excellent support.A v.g.concert.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Ganeshkant, Happy to see your post after a loooong time. I also heard the concert. It was good.