AIR CONCERTS

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Re: AIR CONCERTS

Post by rajeshnat »

ganeshkant wrote: 18 Sep 2017, 09:48 Listening to Maharajapuram Ramachandran's concert... ended with kadaikkan parvai in harikambodhi.
ganeshkant,
By any chance did you mistake commas for harikambodhi as it was the last krithi. i Was thinking kadaikann parvai is in kamas and is by papanasam sivan .

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Rajeshnat,
That was the last item.Is it khamas?

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Thanks CRama I will be here for some time .

CRama

Post by CRama »

Kadaikann parvai is in Khamas. I also heard that today.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

It was good to listen to mandolin U.S on his remembrance day.
The more we listen the more we feel his absence .
Accompanied by Patri VLK & TVV the concert had all good nos.like sobhillu, ranganayakeem ,meenalochana brova , endhukupedhdhala and towards the end bhajareethunatham in usual peelu and a bhajan in bageshri.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Thanks ganeshkant for writing about U Srinivas's concert. 'Spot sangatis' in Sobhillu were simply incredible.

His regard for Pakkamelam artists (whatever be their level of competency) was great. We miss Srinivas a lot.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Yesterday 20.09 , 9.30 p.m the violin concert of veteran TNK was classically rich.esp.the kanada he played mamavasada.the alapanai had a very different approach which itself made it very interesting as it had many rare sangathis.
He started with pahimam srirajarajeswari in janaranjani and proceed with a some what detailed reethigowlai aalapanai to present janani ninnuvina.he was supported well by Viji K , kVP & Vaikom.

Just now Salem Dr.Gayathri Venkatesan gave a satisfactory recital supported well by MAK & SAK.
She presented all devi kritis suiting the commencement of navaratri.
Saroruhasana jaaye pantuvarali , kamalambam anandabhairai, Sudhamayee amruthavarshini and main todi kriti of MD's kamalamba navavarnam and a last one in nadabamakriya.
The presentation was neat.the todi alapanai made a grand appearance.MAK 'S TODI return and the tani by SAK was out standing.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

ganeshkant wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 09:55 MAK 'S TODI return and tani by SAK was out standing.
While MAK is MA Krishnaswamy .Who is SAK ?? Is that shertalai anantha krishnan??

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Yes

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Ramakrishnan Moorthy sang brilliantly today 8.45 a.m.
Ninuvina reedhigowlai with n s , kamalambikayam sankarabharanam and main saveri ST navaratri kriti with n s .ended with vinayakuni madhyamavati.
Good support came from VLK & Balasankar.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

I thought it was some yesteryear veteran whose name I couldn't place thinking it a usual sunday isaippettaham concert.
Only when the mid announcement came I knew I was wrong.It was A.S.Murali.his voice and way of singing showed such a maturity.
Opened with a tamizh kriti on saraswathi in dhanyasi with a good line of svarams.MD's kamalambanavavarna kambodhi kriti was next with a matured alapanai.the kriti in kantajathi ata talam was sung in the right tempo unhurriedly and registered well.maravairiramani was next.
The main palinchukamakshi was presented well with a step by step alapanai n s @ kantamagu.
MAS versions of alapanai were exhibitive and failed to match Murali's sublimity.
R.Sankaranarayanan played well throughout and his tani was electric.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Sumitra vasudev gave a good concert supported well by kumbakonam gopi and Tvm.vaidhy.
The main was bhairavi kriti of kamalamba navavarnam.
Tulasi saveri kriti of T was sub main.
She sang MD kritis in devamanohari and madhavamanohari and a tamizh kriti of mazhavai chidambarabharati in begada.

The lalgudi duo GJRK & Viji gave a good recital in natl.prog.relayed yesterday night accompanied by UKS & KVG.
Lalgudi's atana varnam,a brilliant begada alapanai followed by thyagarajaya namaste and main kalyani SS kriti in misrachapu presented very well.rarely heard dasarathe in kokilapriya came in between.concluded with sindhubhairavi thillana.
The percusion was not audible enough except during the brilliant tani.

narayara000

Post by narayara000 »

ganeshkant wrote: 25 Sep 2017, 10:23
Lalgudi's atana varnam
Lalgudi's Atana Varnam:

https://www.facebook.com/lalgudivijayal ... 029281124/

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Bharat sundar sang nicely today @ 8.45 a.m concert.
He opened with the sahana kriti from kamalambanavavarnam.next came a song in kalyani with a ģood alapanai on chamundeswari in misrachapu.the n s was foot tapping in the madhyama kalam.parur Ananthakrishnan stood up to the challenge with enthusiasm.
The main my favourite kamakoti in saveri was presented well.
SAK supported well throughout.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Dr.Jayanthi Kumaresh gave a v.g.recital supported well by SAK & Vaikom.
Ambavani keeravani , srisaraswathi arabhi, ahiri kriti from kamalambanavavarnam and main kalyani with R & T followed by Unnaiallaal of PS.she concluded with kamalambikayam in Sri.

Sivaramakrishnan

Yes, that was an excellent Veena recital on Saraswati Puja day.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Yesterday night 9.30 p.m concert of Saketaraman was good in most parts.
A kriti on saraswathi by a kallidaikurichi composer,
Neerajakshi kamakshi preceded by a hindolam alapanai and main pahiparvadha in arabhi with r n s t was presented well.
A slokam on saraswathi in sindbhairavi and bhimplas followed by vellai thamarai.rounded off with bindumalini thillana.
His nasality has reduced very much.
S.varadarajan & KVP supported very well.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Seetha Narayanan gave a good recital supported well by Kalyani sankar and Papanasam kumar.
Sri chamundeeswari suddha dhanyasi, amma ravamma with r n s @ thamarasa dalanethru (she pronounced nethru and mithru)raja raja rajidhe niroshta and main bhairavi sarieveremma r n s t.concluded with a bhajan in kedar.
The kalyani & bhairavi alapanais were v.g.

malavi

Post by malavi »

The nine days morning concerts during Navaratri were really good.younger generation artists Salem Gayatri,Kunnakudi BMK,RKM, A.S.Murali,Sumitra Vasudev,Bharath sunder,Savita Narasimhan,mambalam sisters and Jayanthi was the only Veena player who participated. Kalyani was present in many of the concerts.savita s sarasijabhava jaye was very good.RKM was the only one who sang a navaratri Kriti by ST. To top them all Seeta Narayanan gave a very nice concert on Vijayadasami day.mami s ammaravammaand sarievaramma were rendered with such Bhava. Nice of AIR chennai for this broadcast.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Thanks for the update malavi.
Two days I missed due to other works.
I really missed Savita Narasimhan's concert.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Checked up with TVG. They are all repeat of relayed in 2016.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Is it so ?

CRama

Post by CRama »

1 Oct, the Ghatam Karthik directed ensemble was very nice with Palghat sreeram on the vocal.

Sivaramakrishnan

Today morning Chennai A concert was by Dr Kashyap Mahesh. First song was 'Kadaikkann vaitthennai aallammaa' (begada - misrachapu). While winding up The kriti, he rendered various kaalams / boisterous nadais for the Pallavi perhaps not much suiting the sublime plea ( kadaikkann vaitthu)!

Sivaramakrishnan

The concert was brilliant with Vachaspati as the main.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Kashyap Mahesh has been learning from TVG for many years.I think he is based in Trichy and sings very well.
This dec.he sings in MA.

T.V.GOPALAKRISHNAN

Post by T.V.GOPALAKRISHNAN »

As requested by Dr.Kashyapmahesh, I have uploaded the concert o Google Drive and could be downloaded from below link:

https://goo.gl/HwpPbx

Regards,

TVG.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Sriranjani santhanagopalan singing right now .not heard her in the recent past.good singing.after inthekantekavalana in kannada her detailed alapanai of neethimathi that reminded Sowmya at places was v.g.mohanamuthukumara followed.after brisk saravanabhava in pasupathipriya came the main gajavadana in Todi.a decent alapanai preceded the kriti.
N & S was grand.supported well by kumbakonam Gopinath & Papanasam Kumar.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Desoor or is it Thesoor(?)Selvarathanam's nagaswaram recital today morning was very engaging.his submain ennalu thirugunu in mandhari of HMB and main dhinamanivamsa in harikambodhi were classically rich.his blowing was clean.earlier he played vaanchatonu of HMB and a kriti in sudhdha saveri.
Of all the kritis in HK dinamani is no.1 in my list mainly due to Maharajapuram Santhanam.I always wait to hear his tharamadhyama swarakshara sangati in manavini that makes me fly.Selvarathnam played it today.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

G.Srikkant's 75 mts.concert yesterday night gave a good listening for its variety and presentation.
GS has a clear and sweet voice and a much sought after vocalist in bharatanatyam circle.this season he has a slot in MA.
The concert had 3 alapanais of reasonable duration sufficiently stuffed.
Sankarineeve (pantuvarali MV) , paramakrupasagari (yadhukulakambodhi GNB) & main srikamakoti (saveri mysore sadasivarao) that had n&s @ kadambavana...
He opened with bagayanayya singing lilting svarams.
MAK & PK supported well.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

G.madhavan's concert sounded interesting because of inclusion of songs rarely heard like apaharanindhaipattuzhaladhe a thirupuhazh in chakravaham set to chathusrajamapa with n&s @ jepamalai.he sounded like Dr.SR of yore.a detailed neethimathi with brisk n&s @neethimathi for mohanamuthukumara.indha vibheeshana khamas and gnanasabayil saranga of PS as main.the alapanai was fresh and had some good phrases of good imagination .chuttivizhichudarthan kannamma sung as concluding item in kalyana vasantam kathanakudhookalam jonpuri kedaragowlai and paras.
UR & Bhoovarahan supported very well.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ganeshkant,
It's good to read your radio concert impressions. Adds another dimension to our listening experience. We get to know of artistes we haven't heard of before.STD concert reviews also a welcome feature.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Thanks arasi.
Today happy to have listened to a vintage recording of Sandhyavandanam Srinivasa rao supported by R.K.VS,palghat kunjumani & sundaram in the "Isaipettakam" slot.on sundays madras A broadcast has this rare occasion of airing concerts of past masters.
Started with hansadwani varnam jalajakshi.sounded very good.am a lover of varnams.can listen them all time
Gajavadhana sriranjani followed.
Arabhi alapanai in a measured proportion Adiyapadhathai of GKB followed.main was reethigowlai with an elegant Alapanai.couldn't understand his diction.it was an unheard kriti of T in adi.managatchi or something like that with svarams in the pallavi.a sweet thani followed.made my day.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Welcome Ganeshkant after a brief hiatus. Yes. The vintage concert of SSRao was very soulful. The main kriti was Badalika theera in Ritigowla.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Thanks CRama.
Today's concert of GG showcased her capabilities as a top class performer.the 1 hr.concert was rich in eloquence and manodharmam.
Shambomahadeva bowli
Bhuvinidasudane with a good gamaka cum briga laden alapanai with brisk swarams followed by ennaramum in todi were presented keeping the pace.GG sounded like SR at many places.her voice texture has changed.
The main rama rama gunaseema Simhendramadhyamam ST brought out the beauty of that ragam without leaving any stone unturned.
Smaravaramvaram in tilang was the last one.
Supported well by TKB & RR.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Today morning concert of Thrissur VR was v.g.though sounds like an old recording.
Sarojanabha chakravaham of ST with fast svarams,
Sundaratharadeham pantuvarali ethutulanila sankarabharanam both were characteristic of GNB school.supported well by VVR & MAE.
On 06.11 Sowmya gave a good concert themed about Krishna supported well by MAK SAK & Chandrasekhara Sharma.
Panchamathanga malahari elani kambodhi with a grand alapanai then there were songs like alaipayudhe ennathavam seidhanai etc.
Yesterday night OST with VVSRao Rrao had all T's composition.was not yesterday MD's remembrance day ?
Sriraghuvaraapraneya kambodhi was main.

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

AIR featured MBK with Annavarupu Ramaswami and Sumathi Ramamohana Rao. Beautifully rendered krithis in Saraswathi (MD), Balahamsa (T), Saveri (PSI), Anandhabhairavi (SS) and Amruthavarshini (MD)

What a lovely concert!. Thanks AIR, Chennai for the broadcast

Today is Dr Balamuralikrishna's remembrance day

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Thanks kunthalavarali.I was about to write and found you.
Srisaraswathinamostuthe,dandamupettenura(what a lovely presentation ! We really miss him)
Endhanerchina with lovely alap & swarams,
Marivere & AnandamrutAkarshini.
Tani was lovely.AR gave great support.
Is the mridangist female ?

CRama

Post by CRama »

Yes. Sumathi Mohan Rao

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

The Anandhabhairavi krithi was O jagadambA

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

kunthalavarali wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 08:05 The Anandhabhairavi krithi was O jagadambA
Yes,I stand corrected.thanks.

CRama

RADIO CONCERTS

Post by CRama »

I could not locate the earlier review of radio concerts. For quite some months, this thread is inoperative. Hence I started this new thread.
Yesterday, 14 May, at 8.45 AM, there was the concert of Dr. Kashyap Mahesh accompanied by N C Madhav and Valangaiman Thyagarajan. It was a very good concert with Shankari shankuru, Kathaya kathya madhavam etc. Brilliant erudition with roaring manodharmam and voice throw. It has been uploaded in Sangeethapriya. Surprising that Dr. Kashyap Mahesh is not seen n Chennai concert cirucuit.

Today at 8. 45 AM, Sreeram Parathasarathy presented an excellent concert. Started with Subramanyena rakshitoham with large dose of swaras, followed by Mamava Raghurama and Chinna nade na, the main song was Arumarundoru in Kambodi. Good manodharmam in alapana and kalpana swarams. Watch in Sangeethapriya. KUmbakonam M R Gopinath and Shertallai Ananthakrishnan accompanied well.

rajeshnat

Re: RADIO CONCERTS

Post by rajeshnat »

Mods
Merge it to AIR Concerts that Crama could not locate
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23764&p=343922#p343922

Ranganayaki

Re: RADIO CONCERTS

Post by Ranganayaki »

Listening to raagam channel now, and there’s is a horrible clarinet concert (AKC Natarajan) in course. Their “charukesi” sounds like natabhairavi and it’s particularly nasty. How do these people get on the air? I heard a hindustani flute yesterday, and it was fabulous. I wish I knew the name of the artist. This is now being followed by an alapana in kaikavasi for “vachamagochara” - it began a bit better, but is terrible again at Anupallavi.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Today morning concert of A.S.Murali was much to my liking especially the kambodhi. The Alapanai & kriti mAjAnaki with lilting svarams was superb.
He also sang nekkuruhi Abhogi,ennagAnu pantuvarali & thirupuhazh in sindhu bhairavi.
MAK too gave an impressive reply of kambodhi .SAK supported very well on mridangam.

Sivaramakrishnan

Yes, A.S. Murali's concert on 3 June was fine. He seems to be one of the few vidwans who. could retain the element of grandeur in recitals.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Today Morning (6 June) Palghat K.L.Sreeram presented a thematic concert on Ganapathy- all songs on Ganapathy.
Sree mahaganapathey- Abhogi
Vallabhanayagasya- Begada
Girirajasudha- Bangala
Ganapathiye Karunanidhiye- Kharaharapriya
Vaaranavadanam- Panthuvarali- Composition ofPuducode Krishnamurthy on Ganapathy.

It was a good concert with adequate support from the accompanists.
It was a good concert.

vsarmaiitm

Post by vsarmaiitm »

Thanks to Sri TVG sir I could listen to the recent radio concert of my wife Smt. Sujana which was broadcast on FM gold
last week. I missed the broadcast due to some meetings and was hoping for TVG sir's upload. When it was not uploaded in the next few days I was thinking may be he could not manage it...

She was accompanied by Sri. Manakkal Sriram on mridagngam

jAnaki_ramaNa - shuddhasImantini
shrI_kAntimatim_shankara_yuvatim - hEmavati
taruNam_IdammA_ennai - gauLipantu
mariyada_gAdurA - shankarAbharaNam
eduta_nunnadu_vIDE - bhujangini - annamAcArya

link at
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/tvg/UPLO ... ana-Veena/

arasi

Post by arasi »

vsarmaiitm,
I am not able to get it. Could you kindly post some yourself?

CRama

Post by CRama »

Today, 18 June, TKV Ramanujacharyulu presented a wholesome Violin concert accompanied by B. Harikumar- both from Trichy AIR. There were only three songs- Manavyalakinchara, Gnanamosagarada in Poorvikalyani and Moshamugalada- giving expansive treatment to all the three compositions.