Shertalai Ranganatha Sharma@Mudhra On Mar03rd,2014

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

--------------------------------------------------
Crama has already written a review in another thread . Just taking the same content and adding what he left with my subjective review. I had attended the concert from reetigowlai swaras onwards.

======
This was followed by a concert of Dr. Shertalai Ranganatha Sarma in the same paddhati. He was accompanied by S.Varadarajan, Mannargudi Easwaran and B.S.Purushotham. The list of songs

Sankarabharanam Ata thala varnam
Gananaathaaya namasthe-Gowla, MD.

Cheraravademira(S)-Reethigowla, T

Gaangeyavasanadhara(R)-Hamirkalyani, ST
5 mins alapana and 4 mins violin return

Edukkithanai modi than-Suruti - Marimutha Pillai
Kamalambike (R N S T)-Thodi- MD
12 mins alapana and 9 mins violin return
neraval in for 9 mins in
swaras for 9 mins
tani for 16 mins

Sagarasayanavibho-Bagesree- MDR

Slokam-Siva sakthyaayuktho- Soundaryalahari-Hamsanandi
Slokam-Ramaaya Ramabhadraaya-Kalyanavasantham
Naam Bhaje man Rama(i noted down few more phrases like rasibi rasibi)-Bhajan-Kalyanavasantham - Surdas bhajan (Lji clarify)

He also sang post kalyanavasantham
dheem tanatha ... mangala guru mahadeva - pahAdi?? - LGJ
karpagamE - madhyamavati - Psivan

rajeshnat

Re: Shertalai Ranganatha Sharma@Mudhra On Mar03rd,2014

Post by rajeshnat »

Crama subjective review:
-----------------------------
The varnam provided a bright start to the concert. Raga alapanas of Reethigowla, Hamirkalyani and Thodi were succinct. The latter two were very elaborate displaying good imagination and adhering strictly to the grammer of the ragam. The songs were presented with visranthi. Neraval at Viyadadi bhootha kirane and elaborate swaras for Hamirkalyani and Thodi were well crafted aesthetics reigning supreme throughout. Surprisingly, he sang alapana of Khamas for one minute and then quickly took up the Hamsanandi slokam. I thought he will sing a javali in Khamas. An excellent concert for two and half hours. The accompanistes contributed significantly to lift the concert to a higher level.

Thanks to Mudhra, for organising this event and Govt of India, Nandini Ramani and Nalli for supporting the Conference.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Rajesh subjective review:
---------------------

Shertalai has one of the finest voices in terms of vocal throw and also there is a lot of masculinity texture in his voice . That gathram is his USP and that indeed interests all of us. As i entered he was wrapping reetigowlai swaras . The alapana of hameer was concise and I liked both his rendition of krithi and alapana , I am not sure if I have ever heard this ST gAngEya vasana krithi in a live concert (I think this has been taken by kvn) . ANother rare number in shuruTTi by marimuthapillai was nice but there was a kind of quick finish to the whole krithi which just put me off.

The oceanic todi with an oceanic kamalAmbiKE krithi was a real sampradaya suddham . The rendition of krithi was clean , in the neraval there was not that much of manodharmam , the swaras were very good . Overall tOdi cruised well with his vocal throw.

All tukkadas were sung with an excellent feel for the lyrics and also a partial feel for the paper. I was thinking apart from kamas alapana sketch he also sang few seconds of bhAgeshri?? and then launched the slokham in hamsAnandi. The bhajan of kalyanavasantham was lovely- is that surdas bhajan.THe thillana in pahadi?? was very good and karpagamE was a typical finish of a clean concert.

I generally find Shertalai ranganatha sharma as a musician who has really superb voice throw, but however in his concert I find an element of manoevarability of sangathis across octaves that is generally missing . He can take little more shoots in mel kala neraval and swaras , which was generally skipped through out the concert. Even though he tries to vary the tempo with a choice of krithis, but intrisically his renditions do not have that much of yEtham irakkam(ups and down)

S varadarajan was fantastic , his tone and his non intrusive approach during krithi and alapana rendition was perfect .Percussion team of Easwaran and BSP teamed up well.I could notice a lot of extra enthusiasm where ME persuaded BSP in tani. They both were very good, possibly a little more restraint prior to main by kanjira would have been better to me .

Overall a very good to excellent concert for 2 and half hours.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

rajeshnat wrote: ANother rare number in shuruTTi by marimuthapillai was nice
Rajesh - this was a song made famous in the movie sArangadhArA - with Smts. Radha & Jayalakshmi (?) singing it, and (Kumari) Kamala bringing it to life through the electrifying choreography of her guru, vazhuvUrAr. Check this thread out for the elaborate discussions we had on it...

adityak

Post by adityak »

Namaskaram, in the concert rebroadcast by Mudhra in their 26th Annual Festival, there was an additional Karpaga Manohara in Malayamarutam, Khanda Chapu, before the Hamir Kalyani